Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
kmroxo
Reno Rider

Oddometer: 337
This is an excellent thread. I keep my iPhone in a Stich pocket right now for commuting and was wondering what the best way to control it was. I'm also interested in checking out the navigation apps.

I think this thread should be moved to Equipment though as it relates more to the iPhone than specifically to GSs. Besides, that way more people will be able to benefit from it I think.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #17
blown7.3lps
Brian

Oddometer: 647
i just keep the itouch in my tank bag, controll it with the RF remote. the battery on the itouch has lasted me a long time.
blown7.3lps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #18
Fish36991 OP
Promoted from Lurker

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmroxo
This is an excellent thread. I keep my iPhone in a Stich pocket right now for commuting and was wondering what the best way to control it was. I'm also interested in checking out the navigation apps.

I think this thread should be moved to Equipment though as it relates more to the iPhone than specifically to GSs. Besides, that way more people will be able to benefit from it I think.
Does a mod have to move it? So far the navigation app has done really well. Definitely worth the $30 and a lot cheaper than buying a stand alone navigation system. I haven't had anyone call me while in the navigation app but I'm guessing it will switch over...I'll let you know.

Still trying to find the perfect marine cigarette lighter socket for the bike.

Josh
Old 07-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 923
How does it do for goat tracks and FS roads?
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:01 AM   #20
Fish36991 OP
Promoted from Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilLeR Kawasaki
How does it do for goat tracks and FS roads?
Honestly, it seems pretty complete as far as maps go. I've only used it so far on my commute to work and back and Raleigh is a little light on goat/fire roads. I did notice that even the smallest gravel 'driveway' on for houses with long drives on rural roads were on there. Most don't have names obviously but they were on there.

The other thing I noticed is that even the trees/woods were visible on the navigation. While driving down Hwy 96, I could see the tree lines on the nav and they it appeared really accurate. Accurate enough that I could tell if I were to stop the bike and walk 100 yards into the woods, I would pop out at the power lines and into a field which was correct because I could see down the power line cut when I went under it.

I'll keep an eye out for the smallest road I pass that it shows.

Josh
Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 AM   #21
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,137
Josh,

Thanks!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #22
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,492
Moved to Equipment after PM's with Original Poster.

This is a very interesting thread that might get missed by many should it remain in GSpot.

Thanks for the thread.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #23
OrangeEnvy
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
"Canada will be available within Q3 2009." according to their website...

I'll be watching. This is one app I'd really be interested in.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #24
Silvermint
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown7.3lps
this one looks prety sweet. and can charge.

http://www.theistore.com/scosche_wir...7465846076f150
Dont know if this is a stupid question but is it possible to answer a call using the above remote. If it is I'm ordering one ASAP.
Silvermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:18 AM   #25
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,689
FYI...my experience with the MountGuys was terrible. I was going on a trip to VT last fall. Called them to order about $150 worth of stuff for my GPS and the bike. Explained that I chose them as they were in NJ (close proximity to me in NY), they claimed that they shipped everything from NJ (no CA drop ships) and could have everything to me the next day...no problems. 10 days later and at least 10 emails and phone calls I still had nothing and they couldn't seem to care less about my situation. Promises I had in emails were blown off like they were never made. Took me another 2 weeks to get them to credit my CC for the purchases. The attitude of everyone I spoke with there was like "not my problem".

A fluke? Perhaps. I won't give them a second opportunity to hose me.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:25 AM   #26
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
programming a custom route

thanks for this thread
I just checked out xroadsgps g-maps apps for my new iphone

I was trying to figure out the differences between it and the google maps on the phone

the obvious one is the preloaded maps with the gmap app so no coverage needed (which is nice)

I literally just got the phone so I still figuring things out but it also looks like you cant really program a route into the google maps other than start and finish.

Can you make a custom map in the g-map app?
also is there anyway to add waypoints ( i think that is the name) or possibly track your path so you can review it later?

couldn't tell anything about this from the apps website

thanks!
nashopolis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:58 AM   #27
Fish36991 OP
Promoted from Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashopolis
thanks for this thread
I just checked out xroadsgps g-maps apps for my new iphone

I was trying to figure out the differences between it and the google maps on the phone

the obvious one is the preloaded maps with the gmap app so no coverage needed (which is nice)

I literally just got the phone so I still figuring things out but it also looks like you cant really program a route into the google maps other than start and finish.

Can you make a custom map in the g-map app?
also is there anyway to add waypoints ( i think that is the name) or possibly track your path so you can review it later?

couldn't tell anything about this from the apps website

thanks!
The main difference for me besides the preloaded maps is that G-Maps uses the GPS to know when you are approaching turns. In Goggle, you have to hit next when you make a turn while G-Maps counts down your distance to the turn and moves to the next turn by itself like a traditional navigation system. It also will pop up a small window with a digital version of the turn and so far has even shown me what lane to be in for the turn which is really nice. It also recalculates your path quickly if you miss a turn and google maps must be manually cancelled and a new route must be created.

I don't know about setting waypoints or tracking with a 'breadcrumb' type of feature yet. I really don't know too much about the G-Maps software other than what I try while riding around. I'll see if I can figure out a way to have it track you.

Josh
Old 08-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #28
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
so anyone compared this to the tom tom app that is finally out?
nashopolis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #29
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,867
While it's seems like an ok idea now, the wear n tear on the phone, cost of data plans, lack of coverage in some areas is not worth it.
I used to do the same thing years ago with my HTC phone in my car.

What I did was, bought the $110 tomtom and mounted it on the bike.
Always works, never have a problem with the phone's useage. For rain, a ziplock bag. Very simple and proved it's self in hours of rain.

And in the unfortuante event, a $110 tomtom is a lot cheaper to replace, not forgeting that the phone could be stored in a safe spot that will be usefull in an emergency.

Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #30
AmericanWalkabout
Lost in the Wilderness

Oddometer: 200
iPhone cases

I have a few different apps for navigation on my phone but have used them all for hiking so far, not found a way to esasily attach it to my bike. One is MotionX GPS (there's a free version you can try) which is pretty cool for off road tracking but doesn't have any turn-by-turn or anything like that. At $1.99 it is still great for the off-roading. It has both street and topo maps you can download to it - but it has to be manually put into cache for off-line use.

I have the Otterbox case which is great (mostly waterproof and provides some vibration damping) but it makes the phone too big to ft into any of the standard iPhone cases.

Do anybody know of a mount/case that will hold the "otterboxed" iPhone which is now 5" x 2 3/4" x 1" instead of the original 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 5/8 ?

I've been looking at some of the Ram cases but they're all either just too small or way too big.