Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #31
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
While it's seems like an ok idea now, the wear n tear on the phone, cost of data plans, lack of coverage in some areas is not worth it.
I used to do the same thing years ago with my HTC phone in my car.

What I did was, bought the $110 tomtom and mounted it on the bike.
Always works, never have a problem with the phone's useage. For rain, a ziplock bag. Very simple and proved it's self in hours of rain.

well there is a lot of truth in that for sure.
still it is nice to see what is possible and for many things I think the iphone would get used because it is always around.

TOMTOM club gps
What model did you get 50-100 sounds pretty good? I have always looked at $300-400+ garmins etc. and never felt like spending that kind of bread (especially now that i have a $$$ iphone ;) )
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #32
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,875
tomtom 130.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #33
bajadawg
Dreamer

Oddometer: 54
Can I listen to music?

Couple things. Iphone has built in gps, so if you don't have wireless coverage it will still work like a regular gps.

Now a question. Can I listen to music when using this app? I'd like to think I can listen to music and then have the app cut the music and give me voice prompts. I know I'm asking a lot but I bet it could be done if it's programmed that way.
bajadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #34
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
tomtom 130.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858194072
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #35
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadawg
Couple things. Iphone has built in gps, so if you don't have wireless coverage it will still work like a regular gps.
But doesn't the scrolling maps come thru the cell signal?
that's the way it works on my HTC phone...
And what happens to my phone is the gps still puts a pointer on the screen but no map.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #36
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,856
A little reading from The Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2009082100751

By Rob Pegoraro
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Did the developers get lost along the way? You might want to ask that after spending time with new turn-by-by-turn iPhone navigation programs from TomTom and Navigon.

THIS STORY
Two New Navigation Programs for iPhone Take Several Wrong Turns
Q&A, Transcript: Personal Tech: Gadget News and Reviews
These two started out with the right ideas: Unlike the iPhone's Maps software, these programs update themselves to show your current position and display the next turn -- and since each includes a full set of maps for the United States and Canada, they work when AT&T's coverage doesn't. But these applications wind up costing too much, doing too little and often doing it badly.

Start with TomTom's self-titled $99.99 program (http://iphone.tomtom.com). For that price, you could buy a complete GPS unit from TomTom -- including the car-kit windshield mount and charger that TomTom somehow hasn't shipped yet for the iPhone.

However you secure an iPhone in a car (I used duct tape before obtaining a third-party windshield mount), the TomTom application is at least easy to start using. Its home screen presents a simple list of options, labeled with large type and legible icons, that you should have no trouble operating at arm's length.

You can also continue to use the iPhone as an iPhone while the TomTom program is active. The software mutes music playback when it reads out the next direction. If somebody calls, the application resumes working several seconds after you hang up.

But the TomTom app's inability to find street addresses listed in the iPhone's contacts program -- it kept saying "The address given for this contact can't be understood"-- made selecting a destination a huge annoyance.

Once you've tapped out an address (or selected a point of interest by searching in the TomTom application's database), TomTom offers some thoughtful routing options. For instance, you can remove a specific street from your itinerary or add an intermediate stop with a few taps of the screen.

But the program falls down yet again once you're on the road -- it won't speak a street's name, instead offering vague directions to the effect of "turn right in 300 yards." The software also fails to use the iPhone's Internet connection to look up traffic reports and route you around congestion.

TomTom's navigation could stand some debugging, too -- it suggested I take the Clara Barton Parkway to get from Montgomery County's portion of the Beltway to Rosslyn. But Amsterdam-based TomTom hasn't even announced how much map-data updates will cost.

You can request pedestrian and bicycle directions if you select a deeply buried menu option, but don't bother. TomTom suggested I bike from my home to The Post's offices by taking the Whitehurst Freeway, then added three blocks to a walking route because it had no concept of using the sidewalk on a one-way street.

Navigon's MobileNavigator (http://navigon.com/iphone), $69.99 until Aug. 31 and then $99.99, avoids some of TomTom's errors but commits a few of its own. Its home screen is even simpler than the TomTom's, but its subsequent menus feature too many small-type items. It also took about twice as long as its competitor to resume working after a phone call.

Navigon, unlike TomTom, had no problem looking up people or a company from the iPhone's contacts list. But searching for points of interest required tapping through a long series of categories before typing in a query.

By default, MobileNavigator doesn't label streets on its maps -- though it does include the logos of nearby chain establishments, as if the location of the closest Starbucks will somehow orient you better than the next cross street.

THIS STORY
Two New Navigation Programs for iPhone Take Several Wrong Turns
Q&A, Transcript: Personal Tech: Gadget News and Reviews
Aside from major highways, MobileNavigator won't call out turns by speaking street names. The company says it's finished an upgrade to the program that adds that text-to-speech capability and is waiting for Apple to approve the update and post it to the iPhone's App Store.

The German firm also plans to offer traffic guidance later this year; until then, you'll have to keep the radio tuned to a news station to learn how backed up I-66 is.

MobileNavigator's non-car directions were slightly easier to find than TomTom's and allowed for strolling the wrong way down a one-way street -- but also suggested biking on U.S. 50 in Arlington.

Finally, Navigon repeats TomTom's arrogance by asking users to buy this application without revealing how much updates to its map database might cost.

Of these two programs, Navigon's doesn't seem quite as bad, mainly because of its lower price (for now) and the company's slightly greater willingness to discuss planned upgrades. But you're better off waiting: If one of these companies doesn't get its act together, a competitor will. (For example, AOL plans to add turn-by-turn capabilities to its free MapQuest application.)

In the meantime, the wireless carriers' $10-a-month navigation services don't seem that bad in comparison -- even if they're clumsier and uglier than what these programs could be.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #37
Fish36991 OP
Promoted from Lurker

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
But doesn't the scrolling maps come thru the cell signal?
that's the way it works on my HTC phone...
And what happens to my phone is the gps still puts a pointer on the screen but no map.
The app that I'm using has the all the maps stored in the iPhone's memory so it doesn't need coverage to know where it is. Just like a regular GPS off the shelf unit.

It has worked really well so far for me.

Josh
Old 02-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #38
Gillies
Monkey Boy

Oddometer: 722
I love my iPhone. I've got the Magellan GPS App, which also loads full U.S. Navtec maps onto the phone, so cell service is not necessary to navigate. The App works almost as well as my Garmin 60csx - almost.

I'm also running a pair of Chatterbox Bluetooth intercoms between my wife and me. We can answer a call and call out to the last number called but can't initiate calls other than that. The Magellan App let's you play music while navigating, and the stereo sound from the Chatterbox helmet speakers is quite good. Overall, I think the iPhone, combined with the Chatterbox Bluetooth system has worked out great for us. Good thread. I'll be watching to see what others are doing.
Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #39
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 373
Another viable option to consider....

I recently bought the GPS Motion-X full app for $2.99. While it does not do turn by turn or voice, a really cool feature is that you can have it send an email to up to five people (5 email addresses) with your current location and tracks... You can send the info manually, or set the program up to email the data every hour, 30 minutes, or 15 minutes with a 100 character message and your location.... Once the email lands there is a link to view the locations and tracks on google maps from any computer or smart phone that can receive email. for 3 bucks its a great deal!

Because I'm mostly off-road, and don't need turn by turn this is a nice feature as a redunant safety backup...

Last fall I had my riding partner's wife call me frantically looking for her 60-year-old husband because he was suppose to be home before dark and he never showed up... I knew he was out clearing trails by himself. He also was using a chainsaw for the first time and he had a known heart condition. We were all scared shitless that he might be somewhere on any of 50 miles of un-marked single track trail working to clear some new loops for an upcoming DS event we were hosting and had gotten hurt or had a heart attack.

My heart raced as I had visions of my bud, either laying there bleeding to death from a chainsaw cut, crushed under a tree or dead from a heart attack! He is was not the type to not check in or be late, something had happened!

It was pitch black out, cold, windy and raining hard. I was the only one that even vaguely knew where he might be. Access to his location was either by off-road motorcycle, ATV, horse, or hours of walking in rough, unmarked mountain terrain by foot. He was not answering his cell. after hanging up with his wife, I quickly suited up and packed a backback with a first aid kit, a survival kit, HID spotlight, portable Ham radio, cell phone and headed out into the darkness on my DS bike. Just as I started pulling on to the trailhead, his wife called back and said he finally arrived safely at home hours after dark.... Very scary but we were all relieved he was safe!

Needless to say without going into details of what happened to make him late (A bike break down), I chewed him a new asshole and I vowed I personally would never go out without some way to either send a message with my location to my family members and riding friends or contact help via a PLB. I bought a Spot unit and I am now using the GPX Motion-x email feature on the Iphone when ever I'm out in the boondocks! I also have an older Garmin E-map in a Ram mount as my main GPS but the Iphone GPS app really works great! You can also download topo map caches to the GPX Motion-x so you don't need to be connected to the network to view maps or use the GPS, however to send emails the phone does need at least 1 bar of Edge signal..... As far as I'm concerned at $2.99, the GPX Motion-x (full version) App is something everyone with an Iphone should have....

Doc Mike

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #40
Fish36991 OP
Promoted from Lurker

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliyardsale
Another viable option to consider....

I recently bought the GPS Motion-X full app for $2.99. While it does not do turn by turn or voice, a really cool feature is that you can have it send an email to up to five people (5 email addresses) with your current location and tracks... You can send the info manually, or set the program up to email the data every hour, 30 minutes, or 15 minutes with a 100 character message and your location.... Once the email lands there is a link to view the locations and tracks on google maps from any computer or smart phone that can receive email. for 3 bucks its a great deal!

Because I'm mostly off-road, and don't need turn by turn this is a nice feature as a redunant safety backup...

Last fall I had my riding partner's wife call me frantically looking for her 60-year-old husband because he was suppose to be home before dark and he never showed up... I knew he was out clearing trails by himself. He also was using a chainsaw for the first time and he had a known heart condition. We were all scared shitless that he might be somewhere on any of 50 miles of un-marked single track trail working to clear some new loops for an upcoming DS event we were hosting and had gotten hurt or had a heart attack.

My heart raced as I had visions of my bud, either laying there bleeding to death from a chainsaw cut, crushed under a tree or dead from a heart attack! He is was not the type to not check in or be late, something had happened!

It was pitch black out, cold, windy and raining hard. I was the only one that even vaguely knew where he might be. Access to his location was either by off-road motorcycle, ATV, horse, or hours of walking in rough, unmarked mountain terrain by foot. He was not answering his cell. after hanging up with his wife, I quickly suited up and packed a backback with a first aid kit, a survival kit, HID spotlight, portable Ham radio, cell phone and headed out into the darkness on my DS bike. Just as I started pulling on to the trailhead, his wife called back and said he finally arrived safely at home hours after dark.... Very scary but we were all relieved he was safe!

Needless to say without going into details of what happened to make him late (A bike break down), I chewed him a new asshole and I vowed I personally would never go out without some way to either send a message with my location to my family members and riding friends or contact help via a PLB. I bought a Spot unit and I am now using the GPX Motion-x email feature on the Iphone when ever I'm out in the boondocks! I also have an older Garmin E-map in a Ram mount as my main GPS but the Iphone GPS app really works great! You can also download topo map caches to the GPX Motion-x so you don't need to be connected to the network to view maps or use the GPS, however to send emails the phone does need at least 1 bar of Edge signal..... As far as I'm concerned at $2.99, the GPX Motion-x (full version) App is something everyone with an Iphone should have....

Doc Mike

This sounds like an awesome app. I'll have to look into it.

Josh
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #41
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Anybody tried one of the Pelican cases for the iPhone?

http://www.4lessdepot.com/iwwida.pvx...0%201?comp=NAL

Looks solid, water resistant (including headphone jack), and not overly expensive.

Next question is how to mount it?

On the GPS Motion-X full app for $2.99 - it's now 99c. I've tried it in the car, worked great except in some cases I found the turn notification a bit close to the actual turn. Their business model is that you get the app for $0.99 without any voice notification. If you want that you pay an annual subscription of $24.95 or a monthly subscription of $2.99. That means you can just turn on those extra services just when you need them, and use the basic system when you don't.

They've had some updates since the last time I used it so now even better. If this is not the best GPS app on the iPhone I'd be surprised, but it's definitely the best value.
http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps-drive

Trevor
Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #42
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 373
the app you are talking about is the GPS Drive App. The GPS motion-x app is a different app altogether. No fees, no turn by turn, no voice and still $2.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom
Anybody tried one of the Pelican cases for the iPhone?

http://www.4lessdepot.com/iwwida.pvx...0%201?comp=NAL

Looks solid, water resistant (including headphone jack), and not overly expensive.

Next question is how to mount it?

On the GPS Motion-X full app for $2.99 - it's now 99c. I've tried it in the car, worked great except in some cases I found the turn notification a bit close to the actual turn. Their business model is that you get the app for $0.99 without any voice notification. If you want that you pay an annual subscription of $24.95 or a monthly subscription of $2.99. That means you can just turn on those extra services just when you need them, and use the basic system when you don't.

They've had some updates since the last time I used it so now even better. If this is not the best GPS app on the iPhone I'd be surprised, but it's definitely the best value.
http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps-drive

Trevor

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #43
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliyardsale
the app you are talking about is the GPS Drive App. The GPS motion-x app is a different app altogether. No fees, no turn by turn, no voice and still $2.99
Yep - the Motion-X app looks cool too, but is designed for "outdoor activities", excluding driving. That's why you don't get the turn-by-turn, which you do on the Drive app (by arrow indicators on the 99c version, and with voice as well on the subscription version).

Trevor
Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #44
Phogman
Lurking since 2004

Oddometer: 134
Stupid question

How do you keep the iPhone from turning itself off every 5 minutes?
Phogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #45
ajy1w
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Was checking this thread and > I took a picture of a Iphone set up at the NYC bike show to remember the brand name for the case and mount > IT IS WATERPROOF. Will get info to the tread > picture is in my other CPU. Maybe tomorrow, they also had the iphone charger cable hard wired to the bike so it was always charging while in the case.