User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2010, 04:14 AM   #46
r2adv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
iPhone power

What are people using to power the phone? When you run a long time with the display on and location services functioning it kills the battery at a good clip.
r2adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #47
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Wally World iPod charger. $15.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:40 AM   #48
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2adv
What are people using to power the phone? When you run a long time with the display on and location services functioning it kills the battery at a good clip.
For my HTC phone I took a car charger apart to save space. Wrapped it in heat shrink and added an SAE plug to go in where my GPS can plug in.

Be aware, if you have an enclosed case that the charging and bright sun on it can cause it to get very hot when charging. That is bad for the battery.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #49
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2adv
I just use the standard car charger. Powerlet makes a cable that you can hardwire to the battery.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #50
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogman
How do you keep the iPhone from turning itself off every 5 minutes?
It doesn't do that when GPS software is running. It does however run down the battery pretty quick, so essential to have it hooked up to a car charger.

Trevor
Old 02-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #51
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
TomTom 130?

My Garmin 2610 is getting a bit old, That's not a problem on its own, still works just fine, but maps are wayyyy out of date, and doesn't make sense to me to pay $100 for new maps. I've been looking at using my iPhone, but there are some issues with doing that... one big one being that it's expensive to replace if something were to happen to it.

I'm thinking, why would I buy new Garmin maps, or use the iPhone, when I can get a TomTom One for $58?

http://www.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp...avid=155441519

I know it's not waterproof, but as somebody mentioned a ziploc fixes that. And at that price it's not a disaster if something happened to it. It probably performs better than my old 2610, PLUS it has a battery so is usable off the bike.

Any good reasons NOT to get the TomTom 130?

Edit: Second thoughts, I may just get a new one from Amazon for $78, rather than the $58 refurbished version. The refurbished ones don't have the latest map guarantee, and if you have to buy maps it's another $79.

Trevor

dcstrom screwed with this post 02-21-2010 at 11:09 AM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #52
=Lenny=
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadawg
Now a question. Can I listen to music when using this app? I'd like to think I can listen to music and then have the app cut the music and give me voice prompts. I know I'm asking a lot but I bet it could be done if it's programmed that way.
i'm pretty sure what your describing IS possible under the current iPhone OS. Might just be a matter of a develper deeming that sorta functionality to be a viable money maker or not. The .99 cent model that dominates the iTunes store has really hampered a lot of developer efforts/initiatives.

I've had quite a few ideas that I've thought to be pretty cool, but when you distill down the market to-in this case-users of iphones... who add more than 2 or 3 apps total to their phone... who would consider actually paying for an app... who listen to music on their iphone... who listen to music while navigating... who are able to find such an app though whatever marketing efforts... who buy your $xx app which earns you: XX minus the 30% apple gets, minus whatever uncle sam gets. You can see how development incentive can be a bit of a bitch under that reality (however much a reality it might be...)

btw. I'm one of the guys that created Adaptunes. We do hope to implement some upgrades/improvements in the future, but the above explanation definitely bares our incentives. Thank you to the guy farther up the thread for the thumbs up.

Some developers are making a killing on mobile apps - and as the iphone user base grows, I wouldn't be surprised to see the functionality your looking for in the future.
=Lenny= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #53
kidcallahan
Dempter or Bust

Oddometer: 81
I was looking for a good usable solution for my iphone since it would a lot handier to carry than a phone, gps, ipod and spot Satellite tracker. I came across this case in my search. It's made by Dahon....a company that makes folding bikes. It's one of their accessories.

http://us.dahon.com/accessories/2010...e-mount-iphone

It's weatherproof and still allows you to use the phones screen while it's in the case.

Another interesting bit of software to consider is http://www.instamapper.com/.
Works in a similar way to the SPOT system, periodically sending out signals and tracking your progress online. Best of all it's free. Only problem is that if you want to run this and your GPS navigation software at the same time, you need to jailbreak your iphone so you can run instamapper in the background. But it all seems to be working well so far.

If you want to be able to use the screen without having to take your gloves off, conductive thread is the answer.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Maki...-Touch-Screen/
kidcallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:04 AM   #54
mr_magicfingers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Here's how I have my iphone setup:

I've used an old ram mount that I had lying around and an iphone bracket for it. I took the screen off and the lower silver headlight cover, drilled two holes and mounted the ram mount with big washers backing it up. Brought the audio lead up underneath it as you can see in the photos.

Not shown but since installed, I bought a car adapter from ebay for a couple of quid, took the little circuit board out, soldered on a power cable and then fitted it into a little plastic container that used to hold sewing thread, stuffed it full of hot melt glue and then wrapped the container in self amalgamating tape.

That lives under the silver panel too with just the power lead coming out on the other end of the phone.

So far I haven't used any weather protection, it's under the windscreen and that seems to keep it nicely out of the weather.

I have this setup, using tomtom software on the iphone, piped into my autocom. Plus side is that the tomtom software is good and works well. It has it's own onboard maps so you don't need a data connection. If you do have one it can do the smart routes thing and look for real time traffic information. Great in the UK but you might not want the data charges if roaming.

You can also control the ipod app on the phone through the tomtom interface which gives you music on the move without needing an extra ipod.

Downsides.

1. You can't preplan and upload your routes, which is fine if you're just driving around in the UK but if you want to plan a holiday route it's annoying.

2. You can't use it wearing gloves unless you mod your gloves, which only works on summer gloves, see my post on ukgser.com here

3. You'll need to find a way to make it waterproof. having it on the dash under the screen has kept it dry so far, I'd probably put a ziploc over it in very heavy weather.

4. If a call comes in or a text, you either need to tap the screen to answer/dismiss it or you need one of the new 3gs models with voice control. I only have the 3g, hence the glove mod.

Right now, this is a really cheap way to get a decent gps for me, but ultimately I want a zumo for long distance tours so I can preplan the routes properly and follow other peoples suggested itineraries now and then, but that's a little way off yet. As I got a 'demo' version of the tomtom software and I already had the iphone so it's been a very cheap and capable setup so far.
mr_magicfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #55
DarrenVS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Thumb

Just want to add a big thumbs up for this thread.
After reading this thread the other night I downloaded the Adaptunes app for the iPhone to increase and decrease the music volume without toching the phone whilst riding. I tried it for the first time today, what a great app
It allows you to set the max and minimum volume before you set off and it really works
Thanks Guys
Darren
Old 02-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #56
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS
Just want to add a big thumbs up for this thread.
After reading this thread the other night I downloaded the Adaptunes app for the iPhone to increase and decrease the music volume ...........

Lenny from adaptunes rocks.
He took the time to help me when I put it on my iTouch.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #57
LeftCoastMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lenny=
i'm pretty sure what your describing IS possible under the current iPhone OS. Might just be a matter of a develper deeming that sorta functionality to be a viable money maker or not. The .99 cent model that dominates the iTunes store has really hampered a lot of developer efforts/initiatives.

I've had quite a few ideas that I've thought to be pretty cool, but when you distill down the market to-in this case-users of iphones... who add more than 2 or 3 apps total to their phone... who would consider actually paying for an app... who listen to music on their iphone... who listen to music while navigating... who are able to find such an app though whatever marketing efforts... who buy your $xx app which earns you: XX minus the 30% apple gets, minus whatever uncle sam gets. You can see how development incentive can be a bit of a bitch under that reality (however much a reality it might be...)

btw. I'm one of the guys that created Adaptunes. We do hope to implement some upgrades/improvements in the future, but the above explanation definitely bares our incentives. Thank you to the guy farther up the thread for the thumbs up.

Some developers are making a killing on mobile apps - and as the iphone user base grows, I wouldn't be surprised to see the functionality your looking for in the future.
The phone, email and iPod programs ALWAYS run in the background. Anything with push notification enabled, Facebook, eBay, some Bank apps, and ESPN sportscenter (absolutely a great app for the sports geek, because it pushes scores for any team you want with the ESPN theme, de de dee, de deee, announcing the score) also run in the background.

iPhone OS 4.0 is now with developers, and let's just say, developer community is ecstatic. I don't think Apple is willing to allow full multitasking because it just is a batter drain. In reality, there are a few programs that would benefit from being able to run in the background, the TomTom App and XM/Sirius, being two. Apple might allow some apps, whose developers make a case, to run. But who cares if your game is running in the background, that's just bad for the battery.

By the way, for those of you who do the adventure off road, the Accuterra APP is outstanding. It stores topographical maps on your iPhone, which may be better than anything Garmin can do. I use it for hiking, and I have to say, it's accurate, fast and detailed.
LeftCoastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #58
Mr_Adventure
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I've been doing some research on this subject and have found on ebay a waterproof casing for the iPhone that looks respectably sturdy and comes with mounting hardware for it.

http://www.dahon.com/accessories/201...e-mount-iphone

There's also a universal 'zip up' case which doesn't appeal to me but the other looks hard shell and tight. I'm waiting for the iPhone 4 compatible version to arrive. The unit I'm thinking of has specifically designed ports for power etc.

Once I get rid of this infernal blackberry, no offense to those who love them as I too have been a fan for 6 years or so, I'll be custom fabricating a dash mount for the waterproof moto case.

The good stuff is out there! Don't use a zip-loc bag fellas!!

Mr_Adventure screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 06:01 PM
Mr_Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #59
antonv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Ive been using the Navigon app for a month now. I was really surprised how well it worked. I made a custom route, with about 15 points. It wasnt particularly easy making the route on the phone. This is the only downfall of the product. You cant make a route on the computer and upload it to the phone. I did read online that this IS possible, if your iPhone is jailbroken(unlocked/hacked). My warranty will be up in a few months, and I might try to unlock it.

I have the RAM handlebar mount with clip in bracket for the 3gS. There is no play at all, and the phone is extremely secure. This app will kill your battery very quickly, so having power is essential.

Mine is powered accordingly:

Battery to SAE with inline fuse
Powerlet tankbag adapter (SAE to SAE)
SAE to Dual cigarette Plug (inside tankbag)
Griffin Powerjolt Dual USB cigarette plug
Apple wire to iPhone
Other Cigarette socket powers my Valentine 1

I have the SENA SMH10 unit, and stream my music via Bluetooth from the phone as well. I mainly use internet radio, so my phone is running pretty hard. (Navigon app, streaming internet radio, & streaming bluetooth). With the new iOS, I can control my music functions from the headset. Play,pause,track forward, track reverse, volume up/down.

The route type choices (motorcyle/car , fast/sceinic, etc..) seem to give some decent options on traveling. Ive never lost GPS reception, but I wasnt too far off the beaten path.

I think for 60 bucks, its a great product, and hopefully Navigon is pro-active with their software development and will continue to release updates.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #60
lucky7_1080
n00b

Oddometer: 2
2013 Update

It's been a couple years since the last post on this thread, and it might be interesting to take a look at what new products are out there. Apps have come a long way since 2010, as well as the hardware.

Interphone makes what looks like a solid mount:

http://interphonewireless.com/

Does anyone have any experience with this product?
lucky7_1080 is offline   Reply With Quote