ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
bull600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Routing with Shonkymaps

First let me say that I'm a complete newbie to the world of GPS. I'm looking to get a garmin 60cx as I was able to play around with one on a recent trip to the northern Filnders Ranges and was quite impressed. This particular one was loaded with the Garmin Australian Topo and the coverage and accuracy of tracks was very good.

As I can't really justify the $200 for the Garmin Topo I've been playing around with Shonkymaps on my PC (I downloaded both it and a copy of mapsource v 6.14.1) before I take the plunge on the gps.

The Shonkymaps look ok for what I want locally but my question relates to using the routing function. After deciding on a route and marking various waypoints on the map it marks out the intended route but - in straight lines only - not following the roads or tracks. I've looked up a few mapsource tutorials and it seems that this shouldn't happen (as it is of limited use). Is it a shonkymaps issue or a setting somewhere I can't find?

Cheers

Greg
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,589
Welcome to the Garmin House of Pain.

Just kidding really, it's the learning curve that hurts at first.

My understanding is that Garmin Topo is routable, whereas shonkymaps is not, so doing a route in shonkymaps won't give much of a result.
BUT! Tracks are good in shonkymaps, they work very well. I strongly suggest that you take a bit of time and browse the rather good stickies on the subjects of routing and tracks in the main gps forum, not only are they specifically helpful but they contain a wealth of background info and terminology. Cheers.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:11 AM   #3
bull600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Thanks for that Godzila! With a bit more research it seems that what you've said is certainly the case.

I must admit I spent several hours as a passenger heading to and from the Flinders with the Garmin in my lap (and it's maunal) trying to figure out how it operated. My mate had only just got it so we were both in the dark. Like a lot of things it has so many functions (many you'd proably never use..) it can get confusing and I'd say that with the Garmin Topo loaded I was probably a bit spoilt as it was very accurate and detailed.

The Shonky will keep me going I'd say, although a few more road/track names would be nice :)

Cheers
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
'Pirate'
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Hey Bull600.
I am finding that if I use the 'route tool' with "City Navigator" selected (C/N came with my Zumo), even if a road does not appear on the screen, the routing tool will follow the path of a road if there is one in shonky (ie road routing only seems to work when C/N selected, but uses all loaded maps to find a path).
With a bit of trial and error, you can find the road you want in shonky, then switch to C/N and mark a waypoint on the screen (even if no roads visible), and mapsource will road-route you there.
Sorry if this is a bit confusing, what I am trying to say is that it seems road routing only works with C/N, the others are staight line.

Cheers, 'Pirate' Pete.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:31 AM   #5
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,589
Hi Pirate. What you might be experiencing is the zoom effect, (just guessing because I've seen it a few times, including myself). CN will appear to route you (accurately too) over mapspace that it seems it has no roads on, but this is not possible, so what you may find is that you have to zoom right in before the display will show minor roads or tracks. It is a trap for young players with certain map software on the Garmins, where minor stuff doesn't display until you zoom way in. T4A is just the opposite, you can zoom out seemingly forever and it seems to keep the detail. OzTopo drops detail at over 1.5k scale, and shonky at over 3k scale from memory. Different products use the unit in different ways, depending on how they were coded. Cheers.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote