Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #1261
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Do not press out the bushings with the bearing unless they are smaller than 26 mm O.D. I think these are slightly bigger.
Sorry if I'm being dumb... can you expand on that a bit. It's the bearings bit I'm confused by. Are there bushings and bearings in the Ohlins upper shock mount??? I dont have access to a vice. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #1262
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Use channel locks or vice grips and rock the bushings out.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #1263
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Use channel locks or vice grips and rock the bushings out.
I did think about vice grips... So are there no other components inside the upper shock mount other than the two bushes? I'll try using vice grips first to remove them if you think it's better.

If I used the socket trick, will the bushings push straight through?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #1264
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Like I said before there is a bearing in there that is 26 mm O.D. you should remove the 2 split bushings first and then use 2 sockets and hammer to tap out the bearing and tap in my new one.
Keep trying to remove the aluminum bushings you can chew them up a little you will not be reusing them.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 10:31 AM
Old 04-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #1265
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Aha... Eureka. I just figured out what you're saying. I didn't realise there was a bearing in there. I thought it was just the 2 solid bushes. I would have tried pushing the whole lot through in one - that would defo snap the bolt. Anyway, I took the two bushings off VERY easily with just some vice grips, picked out the two foam dust seals to expose the inner bearing. Of course I now know what you was referring to regarding the 26mm O.D... you're talking about the 26mm diameter of the outer race. Here's some pics for anyone else that's as dumb as me, LOL:

Just need to get the two sockets, bolt, washers and nuts to get the bearing out! A picture is worth a thousand words!!!

Didn't have a big enough socket to receive all of the bearing but I did find a bit of flat steel with a hole in to push the bearing up to the edge... after some fiddling around I decided to just tap it out gently using the socket and 'whacking device'. It popped out REALLY easy. No damage whatsoever, all components are as good as new.

stephen.stallebrass screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 12:04 PM
stephen.stallebrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #1266
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Now you are on the right track. These pictures will help a lot of people who buy aftermarket shocks understand what is on the top mount pivot.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #1267
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Now you are on the right track. These pictures will help a lot of people who buy aftermarket shocks understand what is on the top mount pivot.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Just got to put your Indy kit in, but I'll do that at the weekend when I change the shock (might put some piccies up here of that as well). Will the Indy Kit just pop in? Are there any useful tips and tricks? Thanks for all your advice chaps.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #1268
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Just use a light oil on the outside of the bearing and with a block of wood you can gently tap in the bearing with a hammer. If you get more resistance use a bolt and large washers to pull the bearings thru. I use a vice and it presses it without much effort. Then when installing the shock put 3 O-rings on the nut side of the shock and 4 on the rubber spacer side. The rubber spacer is made for a 21mm steel sleeve but my custom sleeve is 20 mm diameter so use a zip tie to keep the rubber seat pad from rotating on my sleeve.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #1269
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
FWIW -- The Elka shock I just installed had a stepped inner diameter acting as a shoulder to seat the bearing against and a circlip holding the assembly together. To install the Indy kit the shock would have to be milled out to a uniform diameter. I elected in the end to use my RM brace and stock Elka bearing. The brace required some material be removed to allow clearance for the shock body but that seemed like a more logical first go around than to machine the shock. So far the shock feels great! If the bolt bends with that setup I'll post it up.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #1270
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
FWIW -- The Elka shock I just installed had a stepped inner diameter acting as a shoulder to seat the bearing against and a circlip holding the assembly together. To install the Indy kit the shock would have to be milled out to a uniform diameter. I elected in the end to use my RM brace and stock Elka bearing. The brace required some material be removed to allow clearance for the shock body but that seemed like a more logical first go around than to machine the shock. So far the shock feels great! If the bolt bends with that setup I'll post it up.
Hmm... Did they change the design? This is the setup I was planning to go to w/ Elka and the Indy kit. ??
Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #1271
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post

I used the Indy kit with this shock with no ill effect. Indy supplied some brass spacers to me to butt up against the shock so the bearing would not dislodge. I used a couple of extra rubber grommets to seal against the bearing. So far no problems, other than I bent the lower bolt and had to install Indys' lower kit in the shock. So far so good with over 30k km's.

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #1272
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Wait... there is an indy lower kit too? Oy.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #1273
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,634
Yeah, and the lower bolt is a real bitch to get out when it's bent.

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #1274
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

No problem with the step on one side of some shocks. I use hyperpro and the bearing in my kit sticks out on one side.
that is why I also offer 2 narrow needle bearings so you can install one and leave the step or machine the step and use 2 narrow needle bearings side x side. either way my kits can be made to work.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #1275
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 587
I machined out the Wilbers top mount, worked perfectly, but I do have a CNC mill handy.