Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #151
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan
Why do people who do not understand a sport like to make disparaging comments about that sport?
You must be a soccer fan.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #152
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 27,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
You must be a soccer fan.

Maybe a little bit...
Old 07-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #153
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,798
This basically addressed to SCFrank:

Yes I enjoy MotoGP greatly, some of the best racing there is but how many bikes? 16 and less every year. How many different winners in MotoGP? 4

NASCAR is the best racing in America currently. Yes I believe it was better in the late '80's and early '90's. Yes I wish they ran stock sheetmetal so there was differences in the cars.

Restrictor plates are ran at 4 races and my understanding is to keep the average speeds under 200 mph for safety and insurance reasons.

Rickey Carmichael is known as the Greatest of All Time Motocross racer has said it takes alot more mental sharpness to race in the truck series then he ever had to use to win in motocross.

Like it or not NASCAR is part of America
NC-Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #154
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:

Maybe a little bit...
Oooh, Liverpool. Gonna be a rough season, I predict. Team's not improved itself, it would appear.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #155
Human Ills OP
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 20,631
Quote:
Why do people who do not understand a sport like to make disparaging comments about that sport?
When it comes down to it, all sport is silly and frivolous.

I choose to enjoy spectating anyway.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #156
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Oooh, Liverpool. Gonna be a rough season, I predict. Team's not improved itself, it would appear.
It's been a rough decade domestically, but I've been a fan since I was a wee boy. Gerrard re-signed for and two years and was found not guilty in the bar brawl case. He's an awesome player, one with the ability to lift the entire team. Anyway, through thick and thin I'm a Liverpool fan.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #157
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Okie
This basically addressed to SCFrank:

Yes I enjoy MotoGP greatly, some of the best racing there is but how many bikes? 16 and less every year. How many different winners in MotoGP? 4

NASCAR is the best racing in America currently. Yes I believe it was better in the late '80's and early '90's. Yes I wish they ran stock sheetmetal so there was differences in the cars.

Restrictor plates are ran at 4 races and my understanding is to keep the average speeds under 200 mph for safety and insurance reasons.

Rickey Carmichael is known as the Greatest of All Time Motocross racer has said it takes alot more mental sharpness to race in the truck series then he ever had to use to win in motocross.

Like it or not NASCAR is part of America
With regard to the goat, maybe he had/has more natural bike ability so that riding for him was completely unconcentrated. Aytron Senna spoke of doing pure unconcentrated laps. Monaco '88 he went faster and faster until it scared him. He was not consciously controling the car, it was all just happening for him. He was a second and a half faster than Prost and another second faster than thrid place. A huge gap for qualifying and for Monaco.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #158
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills
When it comes down to it, all sport is silly and frivolous.

I choose to enjoy spectating anyway.
The couch potato in me agrees.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #159
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank
Nascar - what a joke.

Identical cars painted up to look different.

Restrictor plates so they all have the same horsepower.

200 mph parade with a test at the finish line to see who is the dumbest.

I'm sure it takes some skill to drive 200mph, but I just don't get it. Pit stops and strategy affect the race more than driving ability.

But it is sold well.

The real question is - how bad will DMG screw up motorcycle racing in the usa before they have to let it go?

Did you see Rossi pass Lorenzo in the last corner a couple weeks ago. That is racing.

Bikes are truly different and represent the best effort from the manufacturers.

Riders are highly skilled, to say the least.

Nascar - just doesn't interest me.
Thanks for stopping by to contribute to the thread. Have you ever been to a short track stock car race? How many passes would the typical bike race have as compared to a typical stock car race?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #160
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
Thanks for stopping by to contribute to the thread. Have you ever been to a short track stock car race? How many passes would the typical bike race have as compared to a typical stock car race?
I'll bet it's not as many passes as Nirak gets on here...
Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #161
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
It's been a rough decade domestically, but I've been a fan since I was a wee boy. Gerrard re-signed for and two years and was found not guilty in the bar brawl case. He's an awesome player, one with the ability to lift the entire team. Anyway, through thick and thin I'm a Liverpool fan.
I've been mocked for saying it, but who cares: I really admire the Kop and their anthem. I wish Chelsea had a similarly emotive anthem.

Although I will note that it sounds to me like the Kop only really gives it their best for the last part of the song, whereas Celtic fans bellow out the whole thing at top volume.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #162
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
With regard to the goat, maybe he had/has more natural bike ability so that riding for him was completely unconcentrated. Aytron Senna spoke of doing pure unconcentrated laps. Monaco '88 he went faster and faster until it scared him. He was not consciously controling the car, it was all just happening for him. He was a second and a half faster than Prost and another second faster than thrid place. A huge gap for qualifying and for Monaco.
Saw a fascinating doc that basically portrayed Senna as a mystic, that when he drove he went into a total mind-body trance-like state. He talked about it openly. Strange but fascinating.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

wxwax screwed with this post 07-25-2009 at 04:28 PM
Old 07-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #163
rambis
Ramblin' on

Oddometer: 3,856
I've always been a NASCAR fan, but the popularity gained because of the death of a great has been dying the past couple of years. They ran off many of the fans that made the sport what it was. All to gain more fringe fans.....fans who only watch for the wrecks. It's a fucking travesty.

All the contrived bullshit isn't racing. Same cars, restrictor plates, random cautions so no one runs away with the race. That's not racing. Racing is when the best win because they had the best car, driver and team on any given weekend.

Daytona and Talladega are fucking jokes. The only thing good about them is the party. Places like Charlotte, Bristol and Martinsville still have some life in them.

The Daytona race on the 4th weekend was as bad as I've ever seen it. The backstretch grandstands were empty. I told my friend that NASCAR would throw a bullshit caution with 10-20 laps to go because the leaders were running away. Then, I said that there would be a huge pile up that would take out half the field. NASCAR is so predictable.

They claim that all these changes are for the fans. What fucking fans are they referring too? Obvioulsy, they're referring to the fans that only watch to see wrecks like the one that killed Earnhardt.

His death is what made the sport so popular over the last 8 years. Nothing else. NASCAR would like people to think that it was some change that they made to the sport. None of them attracted new fans. The excitement is fianlly wearing off and NASCAR is short many of the fans that were always there.

NASCAR sold out!
rambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #164
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,798
I know that this past July 4th weekend race at Daytona they did not sell tickets for the back stretch. ISC reason was that with the cost of the Jumbo Trons screens and people to work concessions and security it was not cost effect for the ticket dollars gained. Realistically I think demand was down to the point they wanted the front stand s full verses half full stands in both the front and back stretch.

I do wonder what NASCAR would be today if Mike Helton was in charge of the Whole ship without Brian France involement.
NC-Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #165
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,402
The reason that they run restrictor plates stems from Bill Elliot's 212 mph qualifying run in the late '80's. At those speeds , the cars were far to dangerous to run in a pack.
Rusty Wallace did a test for Nascar a couple of years ago at Talladega , 230 mph going into the turns! that is fast for an Indy car , suicide in a stock car.
Nascar has outgrown it's potential and left it's true fans behind in search of more money. Short tracks are where racing was born , not these mile and a half tracks that all resemble one another and most are not very interesting to watch.
It will run it's course , the ratings will fall off , and they will remember where they came from.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: