Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #16
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,365
I used to be a huge fan , I haven't watched two minutes of a race in the last couple years. The have that series so fucked with that stupid car design , and the way that Hendrick motorsports ownes half the cars in the field!
As far as the Mayfield saga , it is hard to tell what the truth may be. On one hand , why would Nascar single out a backmarker , a guy that was good enough to win in a penske ride years ago.
But the fact that he has been tested like 17 times and the only two times he tested positive were when he was tested by Nascar's DR Black? Something doesn't add up there either.
Time will tell , but they are gonna lose alot of interest due to the way they have fucked up the racing. they hardly get 25 laps in any more , they throw a caution to bunch up the field. That is what happens when you let your sponsors control the event , they want more air time at the expense of the race.
Go watch the Rolex series , great racing and very interesting footage.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #17
dagwood
Idiot Royalty.

Oddometer: 35,427
rarely are Rumors wrong. they start with something. but usually get all blown out. but for that...the initial call is usually spot on.

even if nascar is fucked up (and it is) they stand to gain nothing from this.
so why would they concoct a scheme to blackball this guy?
surely if the first test was screwed up they would save face and try again. dragging this all out serves them nothing.

my thoughts are he's a tweek. nascar just did a poor job of controlling the situation.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #18
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee
they hardly get 25 laps in any more , they throw a caution to bunch up the field.
One of my biggest complaints. They spend more time rolling around under endless yellow flags (what takes so damn long to clear?) than they do racing. Funny how there's always "debris on the track" near the end of the race.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #19
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,777
I am a 25+ year fan of NASCAR and I admit its Glory Days are behind them but it is still better then IRL or F1. Whether you like Jeff Gordon or not he is one talented driver. Tony Stewart and Kyle Busch can win in any type of racing they choose to be involved in. I do find that I watch the Truck series and the Nationwide series more then the Cup series. The highlight of the year has been Mark Martin winning and I honestly despised him in the '90's

My opinion on Jeremy Mayfield is using and has a problem. He says he has been tested 17 times NASCAR hasn't said they have tested him 17 times.
NC-Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #20
Human Ills OP
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 19,487
Speaking of Gordon, what with his back problems and Hendrick's desire to get the promising young Brad Keselowski signed, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this is the year that he hangs it up.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #21
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

I do not think he will quit in the next year or two but soon. Honestly can you name another driver that has raced as long, (564 starts without missing a race) that has not had major injury?

I believe Brad Keselowski is the future for the #5, but who saw Mark Martin's success?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #22
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Okie
I am a 25+ year fan of NASCAR and I admit its Glory Days are behind them but it is still better then IRL or F1. Whether you like Jeff Gordon or not he is one talented driver. Tony Stewart and Kyle Busch can win in any type of racing they choose to be involved in.
No doubt at all that the best American drivers are in NASCAR. It's where the money is, they'd be crazy not to. I really like Gordon and Stewart. And that obnoxious Kyle Bush guy seems to be a pretty good driver too.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #23
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills
Speaking of Gordon, what with his back problems and Hendrick's desire to get the promising young Brad Keselowski signed, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this is the year that he hangs it up.
Really? And him doing so well?

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #24
Human Ills OP
Useful Idiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Really? And him doing so well?
He's been hinting that he's ready to settle down, he's already a part owner of the 48 team, it would not surprise me one bit if he gave up the 24 in order to keep Brad on. This chase format really isn't his deal. He likes to build leads in the beginning of the season and destroy the morale of his competition. Those days are over. And his back is killing him.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #25
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 26,650
Quote:
I am a 25+ year fan of NASCAR and I admit its Glory Days are behind them but it is still better then IRL or F1.
I used to follow NASCAR closely, but haven't now for a few years. I still follow F1 very closely, and attended my first Indycar race for some years just last week.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I'm curious why you think NASCAR is better than Indycar or Formula One.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #26
Human Ills OP
Useful Idiom

Passing.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #27
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oh I enjoy most all racing, and go to the local dirt and asphalt tracks near by.

I spent 5 years in Germany and went to F1 races but after the first corner they basically were parades. This season has been refreshing though.

The biggest mistake I made was not attending a MotoGP race while in Germany. I do think MotoGP and World Superbike are the best things going today.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #28
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills
Passing.
That's simply a lack of understanding of the respective sports. Passing on ovals is always going to be more plentiful than on a road course. NASCAR road course races are among the most popular on the schedule. One of the things that turned me off Indycar was the "Handford device" on the superspeedways that made passing a joke - "89 lead changes in the race today" ra ra bullshit.

I've seen lots of great racing and passing in F1 in the past couple of seasons. I saw lots of passing at the Toronto Indycar race last weekend.

I don't buy it. Passing is not a reason to say NASCAR is better.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #29
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh I enjoy most all racing, and go to the local dirt and asphalt tracks near by.

I spent 5 years in Germany and went to F1 races but after the first corner they basically were parades. This season has been refreshing though.

The biggest mistake I made was not attending a MotoGP race while in Germany. I do think MotoGP and World Superbike are the best things going today.
I've never attended a NASCAR race, but I've been to F1, CART, ALMS, WRC, Trans-Am, historics, etc.

I'd like to see a world of outlaws event too. 900HP beasts, driftin' and poppin' wheelies and divebombing and all that. Very cool race series.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #30
Human Ills OP
Useful Idiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan
I've seen lots of great racing and passing in F1 in the past couple of seasons. I saw lots of passing at the Toronto Indycar race last weekend.
I don't buy it. Passing is not a reason to say NASCAR is better.
Okay.

Contact.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: