Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #106
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,412
I'm not an expert like some of you guys, but I went to the Daytona 500 a few years ago. Goddammit, that was cool.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #107
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error
Truth is I've never been to a motorsport race. The only exposure I've got is the tiny bit I happen to catch on TV.
Small local tracks are gritty, noisy and kinda fun. Dirty, too, if it's a dirt track.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #108
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Okie
This weekend's race at the Brickyard is going to be interesting. If they have another fiasco like last year or are they going to be able to race. If the track condition hasn't been fixed it would be nice if NASCAR drops Indy from the schedule in 2010, Tony George would really be squirming then.

Also the Track and Nationwide races at IRP are always good.
What was the problem last year? Was it the track? Or was it that the tires couldn't handle the track?

I saw some "competition yellows" during a race earlier this year, because Goodyear couldn't make rubber that could handle the stress. I can't understand how that can happen. Both the cars and the tracks are known quantities. No surprises.

It happened with F1 at Indy a few years ago. Most of the grid wouldn't start, teams refused to participate in anything that wasn't a full-out race, wouldn't accept slow laps to cool off the tires. Complete and utter fiasco.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #109
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
The Bristol night race is the one I want to attend more than any other. To me that's what stock car racing is all about. I'd love to see them put the pros out there for a 20 lap bomber feature. How much fun would that be?
Me too. Hard to get a ticket, I understand. It would be a blast.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #110
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 27,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
What was the problem last year? Was it the track? Or was it that the tires couldn't handle the track?

I saw some "competition yellows" during a race earlier this year, because Goodyear couldn't make rubber that could handle the stress. I can't understand how that can happen. Both the cars and the tracks are known quantities. No surprises.

It happened with F1 at Indy a few years ago. Most of the grid wouldn't start, teams refused to participate in anything that wasn't a full-out race, wouldn't accept slow laps to cool off the tires. Complete and utter fiasco.
It was a combination of abrasive track surface and the COT throwing Goodyear for a loop. The tires simply wore too quickly. They tested twice (I think) this year at Indy to make sure they had a compound that would stand up to the abuse.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #111
Human Ills OP
Banned

Oddometer: 21,173
Quote:

12 laps before total tire failure.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #112
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills
12 laps before total tire failure.
Nuts, I tell you. The cars and the track were known quantities. Michelin deservedly got a lot of flack for that mess.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #113
kscyclone
Hell yea I'm ready

Oddometer: 81
They've all but ruined Bristol with the repaving. If you want tickets now, you can probably get them. It's not what it used to be.

I heard tire testing went well at Indy and they can't have another 10 lap tire. Now, they may end up with a hard tire and no grip, but it's going to run laps. You can count on that.

I've been watching for the last 20 years and while it's not what it used to be, it's still a great time to spend the day at the track.

Stewart is a second half driver, and I think it's about to get ugly for everyone else. It's all his to lose.
kscyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #114
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nuts, I tell you. The cars and the track were known quantities. Michelin deservedly got a lot of flack for that mess.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #115
kscyclone
Hell yea I'm ready

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
I assume you're talking about F1. Goodyear in NA$CAR.
kscyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #116
Human Ills OP
Banned

Oddometer: 21,173
Quote:
Michelin owns Goodyear?
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #117
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by exwingnut
I have a dirt 3/8 mile banked track less than a mile from my house, it is always a good show and worth the money I spend to attend.

Mmmmmm, sideways.

Ours isnt that close, but when the World Of Outlaws comes to town, I sure try to land that ticket. THAT is a show.

I grew up about a mile from another dirt track where street stocks and sportsmans were run. We attended quite a bit between the late 60s and mid 80s. I saw a lot of wrinkled Chevelle sheetmetal.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #118
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Confusion between tire manufactures for F1 and NASCAR aside...

IMS diamond ground the track surface last year and the COT has different suspension geometry from the old cars. This combination made for an unknown quantity for Goodyear as evidenced by what happened.

F1 never tested at Indy and F1 teams design and produce new cars each year. This made for an unknown quantity for Michelin.

Tire compounds are not an exact science. Sometimes they get it wrong. Sometimes spectacularly wrong.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #119
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscyclone
I assume you're talking about F1. Goodyear in NA$CAR.
Correct, the F1 fiasco of a few years ago. Michelin subsequently bowed-out of F1.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #120
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills
Michelin owns Goodyear?
I thought you were referring to F1. Same deal, total destruction within a fixed number of laps.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: