User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
baloneyskin daddy OP
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,904
Pissed Elite 150 rear wheel support

I purchased a 1985 150 Elite Deluxe for $450 last year with 15,000 miles on it .I serviced it and put around 4,000 miles on it and purchased new tires over the winter. Went to install the rear tire and the lower 1 of the 3 bolts holding the r.rear shock , muffler and also supports the rear wheel was completely frozen in the engine boss on the bottom rear of the motor.I tried heat,liquid wrench,more heat and finally got the bolt to budge. I worked it back and forth going a little further each time and maybe had 2 full turns out when the entire boss broke off the engine case. I got it apart ,put the tire on and am wondering if it would be safe to ride with that one bolt missing .I'm going to give it a little test run tomorrow and have my son jump up and down on the seat while I watch the bracket for any signs of movement but I'm hoping it may be a little Honda design overkill.In any case I won't be pulling the motor so if it works, great, if not and it can't be welded in place it'll be scrapped.Remember ,we're talkin a 150 scooter here,not a 150mph streetbike. What do you guys think?
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,403
No don't if you talking about where it bolts on to the engine ( as seen below.) You ll end up with the other one snapping on you sooner of latter and then whom knows. Really it's 25 bucks to get it fixed at any wielding shop that does Almumanum . You ve got the peaces so it an easy fix. Take the plastic off the rear of the bike or bring something to cushion it off the ground so the paint does not get dinged. Take it in , lay it on the side and 3 min latter they ll have wield it back on. You might have to tap the bolt hole again. If it the lower one you could just use a longer bolt and a nut to stick it on. Pain to hold it with 2 wrenches to tighen the bolt from the rear but it works. About the only thing you need to do before hand is clean the engine it was with oven cleaner to take out any oils that are on the metal where it snapped off. acetone,MEK,naphtha and denatured alcohol all do very well works to. Just rinse it off well after you ve done it to get rid of what ever you use. Hope you or someone you knows has a way to transport to a wielding shop. Worst thing might being having to spend another 25 bucks for a 1/2 van or moving truck to bring it there.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Agree completely. Get it welded on, drill through and use a longer bolt and a locking nut. Any shop that welds should be able to help you - mufflers, farm machinery, cars, really anyone that knows how to weld aluminum.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
baloneyskin daddy OP
bikaholic

I have no problem getting it welded but it will have to be redrilled and threaded as theres no room for a nut on the back,the hole is very close to the case surface. Before I spent 2 hrs trying to free the stuck bolt I considered the longer bolt idea and half of one side of the nut would need ground off.It appears that someone threaded a non metric bolt into the case.It's not a real nice scooter and appears to have had a rough life but it runs like a gem and all the gauges work,even the clock.The poor yhing needed a good home and I'm a sucker.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I have no problem getting it welded but it will have to be redrilled and threaded as theres no room for a nut on the back,the hole is very close to the case surface. Before I spent 2 hrs trying to free the stuck bolt I considered the longer bolt idea and half of one side of the nut would need ground off.It appears that someone threaded a non metric bolt into the case.It's not a real nice scooter and appears to have had a rough life but it runs like a gem and all the gauges work,even the clock.The poor yhing needed a good home and I'm a sucker.

With my helix I just took the bolt I found that fit through the hole , stuck it on a long extention and used that to put in from the back and the bolt was on the front . Anyway it would be a shame to part out a scooter just for a bolt . Then again often worth more in peace then whole.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
zookiemike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
It'll be fine. It's more of a shock mount slash trash can muffler holder then anything else.

zookiemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
God put it there for a reason; you have two options; replace the engine case, or have it welded. I had to weld the boss on my Elite 150 and it held up VERY well. In my case, the drunken redneck who owned it before me must've beat the living sh** out of it.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
baloneyskin daddy OP
bikaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
God put it there for a reason; you have two options; replace the engine case, or have it welded. I had to weld the boss on my Elite 150 and it held up VERY well. In my case, the drunken redneck who owned it before me must've beat the living sh** out of it.
I think he had a brother who had one also.When I pulled off the rear tire it must have had a half gallon of fixaflat in it.