Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 04:12 AM   #61
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugtussle
My son and I shot this video last Sunday of the MadAss with the 110cc Lifan motor. Its running 17 tooth front and 53 tooth rear sprockets. He hit 54 mph in this speed run. http://www.vimeo.com/5797275
nice video! sounds like a jet doing a fly-by :)
Nurburgringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:42 AM   #62
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurburgringer
where exactly is it leaking?
I can't say for sure but when it had been sitting overnight and after I had wiped it all down, it was running along the bottom of the engine from the mid-line along where one of the bolts is (red arrow in pic), were it dripped from. It was rather slow. But after riding it and the engine was warm, it only took a few seconds for the drip to appear.

On Saturday Andy at M-S said it was leaking farther up and more forward (orange arrow in pic) at the gasket and it was running down to where i was seeing it.

They're looking at it this morning to figure out exactly what the deal is. I'm encouraged by the response from Moto-Scoot and Bill Peirce at Cobra/Peirspeed. As soon as i hear anything I'll pass it along.

The MadAss Army: www.madassarmy.com
milwaukeemadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 AM   #63
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

bummer, but hopefully an easy fix and it turns out to be an isolated case.
God knows my other motorized vehicles (25 year old italian car and 10 year old german one in particular) leak oil prodigiously, but of course on a new machine it's not something you should have to deal with.
Sounds like the dealer(s) are doing everything they can to get to the bottom of it and not let it tarnish the ownership experience.
cheers
Old 07-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #64
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

It's all about the o-rings

Just heard back from M-S about the leak. Apparently it was small o-ring between the cylinder and the case that wasn't seated correctly during assembly.

That's a huge load-off.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #65
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,374
mmadass,
Good news. Now put some miles on her and report back.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #66
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

Believe me, I'm itching to get the bike back tomorrow after the new short Ass Pipe exhaust is installed. I have to make up as much riding time as I can.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #67
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeemadass
Believe me, I'm itching to get the bike back tomorrow after the new short Ass Pipe exhaust is installed. I have to make up as much riding time as I can.
MMA - you've got a PM
Old 07-29-2009, 04:38 AM   #68
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

Thumb

The stretch of great weather continues so took a ride over to M-S yesterday evening. Bill handed over the keys to a silver 125 with 65 miles on the clock so I could take a longer test ride than the first time, so the little lady and I buzzed around downtown and lakeshore drive for ~1/2 hour.

2-up the 125 is still a joy to ride, as expected. Smooth pull-aways, lazy cruising at 40-45 (where my 88cc is nearing valve-float rpms), good torque throughout the range, solid ride and confident braking. The 4-sp transmission is also improved over my '49': easier to find nuetral, can downshift to 3, 2, and 1 while coasting up to a stop without engine-braking, and smother overall gearchanges.
Really liking the push-to-cancel turn signals with new indicator lights on the dash.
I'd still change out the mirrors immediately for bar-end ones, and the throttle has a pretty long throw that could be fixed by one of several aftermarket units but other than that it's just about perfect.
It could easily handle a front pinion with a tooth or two more (forgot to ask what the stock one is) which would get the top speed up a few mph if that's what you're after.
I was afraid the ride home on our 88cc would be dissapointing afterwards, but other than the extra buzziness and harsher shifting it still brings a big smile, so unless a suitcase full of money falls from the sky it'll do.
cheers
Old 07-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #69
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

I totally agree on how solid and smooth the torque is. I have yet to feel the bike struggle at all with my 6'2'', 280 lbs on its back and it's nimble as hell. This bike is perfect for people learning to ride because everything about it leaves you confident. From how it handles, the braking and the quality of the build.

The mirrors do seem a little tight to the inside and could be pushed out a little for my taste too.

In addition to the bike itself, I can't help but to give props to Bill Peirce at Peirspeed for being so proactive with my oil leak problem and taking the time to follow up about it. Of course the guys at M-S have been cool too and I'm lucky to have them so close by. (Trust me, I'm not throwing a plug in here for anyone and this isn't a commercial, I'm just saying.)

I dare anyone to test ride a MA and not crave the damn thing after.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #70
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

there are lots of choices for mirrors. I bought mine at Crank Daddy's on Farwell for aound $15 each, and replaced the flat mirrors with convex ones from an auto-store. Seeing what's directly behind you is vital IMO, and the convexness lets me see everything on the sides. Max 10 minute installation.

cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Handl...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZEFAL-CYCLOP-BIK...d=p3286.c0.m14

little pricier:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRIUM...Q5fAccessories

drool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bar-E...Q5fAccessories
Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #71
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Any Madass Owners,
What is it like on gravel/logging roads? Lite "offroad" riding?
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #72
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

i have yet to come across any gravel or off-road. But nearly my entire route to work is as close to off-road as a city street can get due to industrial areas, pot holes and the unfriendly WI winters effect on the streets and the stock MA handles it really well.

@Nurburgringer - i need to check those mirrors out. That might be a good idea to invest in a pair.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #73
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

MMA or Nurb,
Any active dedicated MadAss forums that I can lurk on for owner's experence, mods, and info?
Thanks
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #74
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

i'm currently working on putting a MadAss forum together in between my FT job and other side web projects. I doubt it would really be a help to you at this point...

http://madass.raykonline.com/forum/

Can't say how big it will get but i have yet to start plugging away getting the word out about it to draw more users in. My apologies to ADV if by posting the link is crossing any lines.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #75
Nurburgringer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeemadass
i'm currently working on putting a MadAss forum together in between my FT job and other side web projects. I doubt it would really be a help to you at this point...

http://madass.raykonline.com/forum/

Can't say how big it will get but i have yet to start plugging away getting the word out about it to draw more users in. My apologies to ADV if by posting the link is crossing any lines.
cool!

Bar - I know there are several Facebook pages dedicated to the MA also but I'm not on FB so can't say exactly what's there.