User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
sweenrace OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Change grip with throttle

Rookie question here: I want to change my throttle from the white to slower black domino throttle. I have the new black throttle. Can I take the grip off the white one and put it on the new one, or are they usually glued on? Is it just easier to have the grip stay with the throttle?

Thanks,
Ian
sweenrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 754
It depends on how it was put on... So take the below with a grain of salt and/or as the 2 cents worth of my rambling that it is.

I am getting more and more lazy these days so when it comes to grips as they don't cost much, and when in doubt, a new grip is always nice.

I have been able to pull grips and swap before but messed some up and had to put new ones on because I didn't realize they where glued... So maybe you could give the grip a little pull from the inside of the handle to check if its glued, and if it is or seems hard to get off put a new grip on the new tube and save the white tube for future use...

Best of luck.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 836
Trials grips are not typically glued on. You neither need nor want glues of any type.

The best way to de mount and mount grips I have found is with compressed air, using a very narrow diameter nozzle with an extended tip and no 'safety' holes in the tip. I stick the tip under the grip edge and pressurize the grip, working it off (and on) in pulses. Floating grips on and off is way less a pain that working them on. But if you don't have a compressor, you can get them on eventually using water as a lubricant. A small flat screwdriver worked under the grip and some water poured in and worked around helps get them off. If you find grips glued on, just destroy them to remove them. Cut them off then try to get as much of the residual glue off as you can using strong solvents.

I put grips back on with a little water coating. I part fill the grip then rotate and flick the grip to fling out the water and wet the whole bore. I work the grip on using pulses of air pressure. The water will migrate out and the grip will settle and stick after some minutes.

To prevent especially the non-throttle grip from coming off while riding in the rain, I always wire my grips. I do a double loop, twist the ends, snip the twist leaving enough to bend over and push the cut end into the grip. Critical is what wire to use! This is the good stuff:

http://www.malinco.com/aerospace-lockwire.html

For grips I always use .025" wire, but I keep a roll of .032" and .045" around for other things. One roll lasts years.

The most important wire loop seals the grip from water migration at the bars:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wiri...2F%3B980%3B653

I usually only do one more, about 3/4 of the way to the tip.

As for what grips, I avoid larger diameter and ribbed non-trials grips like the plague. Some riders like then, but even with my large hands I prefer the very thin trials grips. Otherwise the grips feel too thick to me for fine control. My favs are the basic thin and black Hebo and S3 grips. I typically by three sets at a time. for spares as I eventually will rip the tips and that can let water in. A migrating grip will really distract me when riding, so I take care to avoid that happening.

Hope this helps.

motobene screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 07:59 AM
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Another tipp for de- mount / mount grips, I do:

I haven't glued my grips so far and I think it is not really necessary, if you haven't mounted the grips with some oil.

For demounting I simply use WD 40 applies the oil between grip and handle bar with the long plastic tube that comes with the can of WD40.

They should then popp off with ease.

For mounting I clean the handle bar very well then too the innerside of the grip. Then I use brake cleaner and pure quite a bit inside the grip shake the grip a little so all inner walls are soaked with the fluid. Then I quickly push the grip over the handle bar or immer tube of the throttle tube. This works very well as long the brake cleaner is still on all inner surfaces. Then I wait until the cleaner has vanished and voilà the grips sits and even doesn't pop off. I guess the solvent makes the rubber of the grip softer and works too as a kind of a contact glue.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,743
There aren't many grips that use natural rubber anymore but contact cleaner will eat right thru them
Old 07-19-2014, 01:45 AM   #6
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfuzz View Post
There aren't many grips that use natural rubber anymore but contact cleaner will eat right thru them
Oh ... I did not knew that there are grips around that are so sensible. Anyway it works with the standard black grips from Hebo, Tomaselli, Domino, Ariete and Gonelli.

All of them are Europeen manufactors so please skip it for any other manufactors not mentioned and especially from US, Japan ...
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
The brake cleaner works Ok on Renthals as far as I can tell.

Unless I just put new grips on, I just cut them off.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote