User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
advrockrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Title only bike???

Can someone explain what a title only bike is? Found one for sale at a good price (05 gas,gas280) but I'm not sure what this means. I get green and red sticker bikes but can this bike be done? How hard is it to do? Can it be used on a closed course, IE trials event on public land?By the way I do live in the republic of California. Hope this hasn't been covered, I looked but didn't see anything on it. Went to a Sac PITS event this weekend and had a blast (watching and talking)Thanks
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
sweenrace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I'm assuming title-only means it hasnt been registered yet. My recollection is that you need a manufacturers certificate (MSO) and a california VIN number. The Ca VIN number comes stamped onto a piece of aluminum and isnt attached to the bike (although someone might have done this for you). You'll need to get the bike inspected at a DMV office and they should then officially title it for you. It worked for me and I got a red sticker for my 09 GasGas.

Here's the original thread with some more details

On the other hand, if it is registered in Cali then maybe you just need to pay the unpaid fees to get it current and get a new sticker?
sweenrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
advrockrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. Never been registered, He said that he had a title for it but didn't know what it would take to register. I just read the link you posted, you just never know what direction DMV will go. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal though.

advrockrider screwed with this post 04-14-2015 at 09:47 PM
Old 04-15-2015, 05:03 AM   #4
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
At least there is a title. That's better than many.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by advrockrider View Post
Found one for sale at a good price (05 gas,gas280)
Hi, SactoPITS member here. First of all, welcome! Hope the bug bites you like it has so many of us.

I (heard of a guy that) competed on an MSO-only bike for a few years that couldn't be registered, sneaking around with a bogus sticker and such. The park you were at recently told us they are going to start checking stickers more closely.

Sure, you can maybe register it, but save yourself potentially a great deal of trouble and only buy one with a current OHV sticker. This is CA, like you said.

Dan from the club has an '04 in Santa Rosa for sale, is that the one you are looking at ('04 in ad, not '05)? Looks clean and fair price. If that is the bike w/o reg, but he says it can be registered and stickered, then likely good to go, as I bought used from him, along with a half dozen club members.

Otherwise, IMO based on experience owning bikes for 45+ years in CA, best to keep looking for current reg and sticker on bike.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher
At least there is a title. That's better than many.
True. My Climber did not come with a title, bill of sale only. Now, since I never plan to register/plate the bike, it's not that big of a deal. I could go and get a title but that seems to be money not-well-spent. I guess it could provide a little peace of mind to a future purchaser (that the bike's not stolen) but that doesn't seem to matter (in this case).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
True. My Climber did not come with a title, bill of sale only. Now, since I never plan to register/plate the bike, it's not that big of a deal. I could go and get a title but that seems to be money not-well-spent. I guess it could provide a little peace of mind to a future purchaser (that the bike's not stolen) but that doesn't seem to matter (in this case).
You mean in your case, not this case (OP's), right? Cuz based on his question re ok or not to ride club trials in public, the answer is that without a sticker, no, you certainly can't do that here.

The state did just lift the ban on transporting without a sticker, so at least you can drive around now with it out in the open without getting cited.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH
You mean in your case, not this case (OP's), right?
Yes, right, in MY case. Sorry for the confusion.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
advrockrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My buddy was looking at the one in Santa Rosa and it sounds like a good deal. I was talking to a different guy with the same deal on his bike. I would want to be able to ride club events so a bike with a sticker would be the better way to go for me. Lots to learn about trials bikes before I even get to ride one. Thanks for all of the info.