Oddometer: 189
SVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #17
CoydogSF OP
Ambitious Amatuer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Fuel Pump ha ? Interesting. My bike has never stalled on me...yet. What about the fan never kcing in issue ?
They say the fan comes on when it's supposed to and that these engines just run pretty efficiently so the temp just doesn't usually go higher than around four bars (middle). I was just comparing to the way the KTM was huffin' and puffin'. I know I feel a lot of heat coming off the engine onto my legs (as others have mentioned) so maybe it's just venting so well it doesn't need the fan as much.

I'd be really curious about whether any F800GS would develop this same stalling issue under the same conditions or whether I just somehow got one with a bum pump. I'm sure there are people who have ridden them hard in hot weather without probs. Anyway, fingers crossed that the new pump does it. We're back on the TAT heading West from Salida tomorrow morn.
CoydogSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:08 AM   #18
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoydogSF
I'm sure there are people who have ridden them hard in hot weather without probs.
Indeed. In Morocco desert's parts. No problem whatsoever.
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #19
CoydogSF OP
Ambitious Amatuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos
Indeed. In Morocco desert's parts. No problem whatsoever.
Yeah, figured. At least makes me feel like I just got unlucky and won't have any more probs. Now I just gotta start figuring out when I can get the bike to Morocco!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #20
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962

Did your sand technique start to improve? I found a really light touch on the bars is essential.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #21
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,309
Been riding my F8Gs hard and harder. Ridden for hours in 100+ temps. High speed, low speed, no problem. Ridden for 2+ hours, heck road 3 or 4 infact.

For sand & offroad in general... Stand on pegs, weight a little forward, "nuts on tank" and then yeah it really helps to keep consistent speeds. On off gas is bad. Hammer the throttle as best you can is the way it was described to me, but personally I don't think it's the speed but the steadyness, smooth changes, no sudden on off that helps most. Oh and did I mention to stand on the pegs?it helps!!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #22
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
Been riding my F8Gs hard and harder. Ridden for hours in 100+ temps. High speed, low speed, no problem. Ridden for 2+ hours, heck road 3 or 4 infact.

For sand & offroad in general... Stand on pegs, weight a little forward, "nuts on tank" and then yeah it really helps to keep consistent speeds. On off gas is bad. Hammer the throttle as best you can is the way it was described to me, but personally I don't think it's the speed but the steadyness, smooth changes, no sudden on off that helps most. Oh and did I mention to stand on the pegs?it helps!!

Are you happy with the suspension off-pavement?

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #23
CoydogSF OP
Ambitious Amatuer

Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPeligro

Are you happy with the suspension off-pavement?
Oh yeah, I got the feel for sand pretty quick after a full day of trial and error. A couple things Frank told me have really helped - dropping my heels to almost push the bike forward (helps to unweight the bars) and looking ahead rather than down at your disobedient front wheel. In general both of our skills are noticeably improving everyday and along with them confidence and speed. We're looking forward to the more challenging TAT passes in CO.

And re: the suspension on the F800GS, I have no complaints at all. Soaking
up rocks at high speed and flowing smoothly through loopdy loops and washes. And that's with loaded Jesses, a top box, and as of yesterday, a passenger. We'll see what I have to say in a couple days but so far (when it's running and I think that problem's now been solved) the handling of the F800GS both offroad and on has been and ideal for this trip.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #24
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,309
Laugh

I second that. BMW seems to have gotten suspension about right for a 190 lb rider at the stock settings. I upped the preload a tadbutthe rebound is at the stock setting.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #25
rubberneck
Area Man

Oddometer: 28
July 27th...

It's my turn for another update, and I'll pick-up where CoydogSF left off with the festival concluding. We woke up early that morning to pack up camp and say our good-byes. The general plan was to meet up with the TAT around Salida, CO or thereabouts. We headed out of Lyons, CO towards Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.

From Track Dave and Dave

It was scenic and we saw some wild-life, but it was generally paved, and there was the requisite traffic for a National Park. There was also some construction going on that caused further delays. It wasn't a big deal, but it did get us caught in a bit of a thunderstorm. We took a quick snack break at Lake Granby...

From Track Dave and Dave

...and then high-tailed it down US 40 to Georgetown. After getting some caffeine in Georgetown, we made our way up Guanella Pass. There was a bit of construction going on here too, but after a couple of brief delays, we were on our way.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

Guanella Pass hooked back up with 285 on the other side. The plan was to continue on 285 down to Buena Vista, CO. Thankfully for us, but not for those folks involved, there was an accident just past Fairplay, CO (aka South Park) that closed down the entire highway. The highway authorities were routing people down around on highway 9, but when he saw our bikes, he said we should take Weston Pass instead.

From Track Dave and Dave

This turned out to be great advice. Weston Pass was a notch more difficult than Guanella pass, and quite a bit more fun. It took us over to 24, which we then took south to Buena Vista. We setup camp at N38 51.544 W106 08.459 and woke up the next morning ready to get on the TAT

From Track Dave and Dave

rubberneck screwed with this post 07-30-2009 at 06:29 AM
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #26
Flameout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Cool2 Great ride!!!

FOLLOW ME!
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rytJ4p77xkQ75p
Flameout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #27
CoydogSF OP
Ambitious Amatuer

Buena Vista to Lake City

One thing that Dave didn't mention but you might have figured out from the pics is that we added a member to the group. As planned, my girlfriend Ann joined us in Lyons and she and I will ride 2-up on the TAT through Moab. Ann's up for anything and very comfortable on the back of the bike. We've been working on developing a 2-up dirt riding technique that will get us (on the big bike!) over the Colorado passes (more on that below).

From Track Dave and Dave

From Buena Vista, a 30 minute road ride got us to Salida and our first westbound TAT trail heading towards the Marshall Pass big bike bypass. On Marshall, Ann and I experimented with have us both standing with her grabbing my hips. Going uphill, I had to lean a little bit farther forward than I normally would for her to get enough forward pressure on the rear pegs to keep herself from falling backwards.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

The rest of the way to Lake City, was more fast gravel and dirt roads through Birch forests and across ranch land.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

Sidenote: It seems that KTM Dave is deathly afraid of cows.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

Found a nice lunch spot.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

We got in around 2 and found our way to the Elkhorn RV Park a couple blocks off the main street.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

After a quick rest and some weather watching, we figured we'd unload the bikes and tag Engineer Pass. Despite the booms we'd heard from the valley while napping, we only got a couple sprinkles the whole way up. There were a couple rocky sections and some steep switchbacks but our 2-up standing system and the ample power of the F800GS plowed through them relatively easily. It definitely helped having the Scalas so I could warn her about a section coming up and suggest we stand.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

We retraced our route back down to Lake City knowing that we would do the Cinnamon Pass leg of the Alpine Loop on the TAT the next morning. We headed straight for Poker Alice for pizza and a beer.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #28
CoydogSF OP
Ambitious Amatuer

Cinnamon to Telluride

The next morning, after bagel sandwiches for me and Dave and an all-you-can-eat breakfast at Poker Alice for Ann, we set off on the remaining leg of the Alpine Loop, Cinnamon Pass.

From Track Dave and Dave

I don't know whether we forgot to latch it or if it was the "drunken riding" (swerving back and forth across the trail to find the smoothest line for myself and passenger while we were sitting) but at one point the Givi V46 popped open. Nothing fell out but it was a good thing Dave was behind us to let us know.

From Track Dave and Dave

The trail up Cinnamon was gorgeous and straightforward with some tight, steep switchbacks. Ann and I were getting pretty good at them at this point, approaching slowly on the outside of the turn, standing, leaning the bike with the pegs and couting on the torque of the F800GS to pull us up the other side. I'll admit I went wide on one, opting to come to a stop with my front tire in the loose stuff. And, yes, I did dump us once but of course that was at a stand still after stopping to take off a jacket. Damn short legs.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

Ann gets a little giddy at altitude...

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

Then down the other side into Animas Forks. Decent requried a little more care than climbing to keep our bulk from sliding. And the rental jeeps moving at various speeds and in lines of various lengths in front of us made it a challenge to keep a regular pace.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

We ran into a group of four or five guys on thumpers as we left Animas Forks and got some info on the trail ahead. They warned that there would be some tough parts ahead for riding 2-up and mentioned some specific steep downhill switchbacks to look out for. Cautious but confindent, we continued up California Pass.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From here, the names of the passes and gulches and such start to get a little fuzzy in my memory. I had been so worried about riding Engineer and Cinnamon 2-up on the big bike that I didn't look to closely at what came next. I believe from Cinnamon, we climbed a little ways to Hurracaine Pass and then descended for a while. Just about when it looked like the trail would take us on a smooth road into a valley, it turned steeply upwards and traversed a ridge overlooking Corkscrew Gulch and climbing to the pass. Some of my favorite scenery was in this section although I don't know that we got a good picture of it.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

We slid our way down the other side, some of the loosest, steepest trail we'd been on to a little parking area and a bathroom and talked about some options. We could either press forward on the TAT in the afternoon and camp somewhere in the San Juan National Forest or we could cut right after Ophir Pass and head to Telluride since Ann had never been and enjoy a nice hotel and dinner. We bumped down the steep and rutty trail to 550 in increasing rain and made for Sliverton for some lunch and to dry off.

After a decent lunch (although I don't think any of us would recommend the touristy and huge "Brown Bear Cafe" - "Black Bear?"), we took advantage of a break in the weather to make for Ophir Pass. At the turn off 550, we ran into two guys on KTM's heading for WestFest. One was having problems in the altitude with his carbureted 950 but had a plan to pull a secret wire somewhere to get it running right. We took the turn and proceeded up the pass.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

While the climb was pretty, the decent's really the interesting part. We waited for a couple jeeps to come up and started down.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

As you might imagine, at the bottom of the pass and after a long day on tough trails and high altitudes, the Telluride option won out over camping. We stopped at the visitor center on the way in and got a $149 rate for a two room suite at the Icehouse with a bar, flat screen TV's, and most importantly, a roof from the rain that fell for the next three hours while we napped, downloaded pictures, and caught up on email. Well worth it.

CoydogSF screwed with this post 08-04-2009 at 06:33 PM
Old 08-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #29
dallas99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32

I am in! You have some of the best pics of the TAT I have seen yet....thank you. Good luck with two up...wow...great work!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #30
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Enjoying the report of your trip, keep it coming

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote