Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #31
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT
Enjoying the report of your trip, keep it coming

........nice trip........keep reporting.........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #32
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
Now my day is officially ruined! Man that is some awesome scenery, beats looking at my computer screen all day, thanks for posting, BEAUTIFUL!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #33
StinkyCheese
Red or Green?

Oddometer: 738
Awesome ride!

Old 08-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #34
Ciampa
Baja 2010!

Oddometer: 466
I just added the TAT to my list of things I need to do before I die.
Ciampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #35
Vinnie the Snake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Great RR and photo's. Thanks for the effort. I grew up riding about 1/4 mile from the picture on Marshall Pass road.

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #36
been saved
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Great Pics

AWESOME RIDE, I am glad to hear the stalling seems to be over. We just bought an F800 due to us doing a lot of rideing two up on gravel, two track etc. How is it performing two up? My wife preferred the pillion poistioning on the BMW over the KTM (the KTM is a bit more hardeged and faster IMO) and to me it (the BMW) just felt comfortable. It is not really "amazing" just soooooo very competent, for me competent is th ticket......for right now....

Been Saved
been saved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #37
CoydogSF OP
Ambitious Amatuer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by been saved
AWESOME RIDE, I am glad to hear the stalling seems to be over. We just bought an F800 due to us doing a lot of rideing two up on gravel, two track etc. How is it performing two up? My wife preferred the pillion poistioning on the BMW over the KTM (the KTM is a bit more hardeged and faster IMO) and to me it (the BMW) just felt comfortable. It is not really "amazing" just soooooo very competent, for me competent is th ticket......for right now....

Been Saved

We haven't ridden 2up on the KTM yet but I can tell you that we feel really comfortable 2up on the F800GS. Plenty of power and comfortable suspension with the preload dialed up a bit (note: we're about 185 and 120 respectively). We've also been riding with Jesses and the v46 top box (btw. she says the Givi with the backrest makes her feel more comfortable).

On tougher trails (video coming!) and loose gravel, we found that having both of us stand lowered the center of gravity to the pegs and let the rear tire move around where it needed to. She eventualy settled on grabbing onto the front of my hip bones. Forthcoming post: "How to get your girlfriend to grab your junk on motorcycle trips"
CoydogSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #38
juniorsktm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Dave's,

Great report! Just got back a few days ago and still adjusting to "life".......

You fellas were a blast, contact me when you get back, I would love to catch up!

Frank

BTW, "Pam" sends her best! (You must admit, pretty funny)
Old 08-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #39
rubberneck
Area Man

Oddometer: 28
October 18, 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorsktm
BTW, "Pam" sends her best! (You must admit, pretty funny)
You would have still had us going had it not been for saying her birth-year was 1963!
Old 08-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #40
been saved
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoydogSF
We haven't ridden 2up on the KTM yet but I can tell you that we feel really comfortable 2up on the F800GS. Plenty of power and comfortable suspension with the preload dialed up a bit (note: we're about 185 and 120 respectively). We've also been riding with Jesses and the v46 top box (btw. she says the Givi with the backrest makes her feel more comfortable).

On tougher trails (video coming!) and loose gravel, we found that having both of us stand lowered the center of gravity to the pegs and let the rear tire move around where it needed to. She eventualy settled on grabbing onto the front of my hip bones. Forthcoming post: "How to get your girlfriend to grab your junk on motorcycle trips"

HAHAHA I keep telling my friends that!!!

We will try the standing up together, I had been debating that, it seems like such a waste in the handling department on this bike when we are two up and both sitting.

I commented to mrs been saved that the bike felt sluggish last weekend two up and she commented " well you you were going about twice as fast and leaning over waayyyy more, so I do not know what you are talking about"

I guess confidence comes quick on these things.

Great write up so far!!

Been Saved
been saved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #41
BCRides
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Great Report!

More please!
www.BarryCookRealEstate.com
BCRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #42
rubberneck
Area Man

Oddometer: 28
Telluride to the Manti-La Sals

After spending a night of relative luxery in a Telluride suite, and a quick bagel/coffee at Baked in Telluride, it was time to hit the road...

From Track Dave and Dave

Early on in the trip, we decided it'd be more efficient to take turns paying for gas, and pass the hose to one another than to each pay separately each time. I think I got the better deal on this technique as the KTM was averaging around 35mpg, and the BMW was closer to 45mpg. Don't mention that to Dave though.

From Track Dave and Dave

While there a many spectacular valleys/bowls in the Rockies, Telluride is perhaps the fanciest and most modern. It was a nice, brief detour from our mini version of the TAT.

From Track Dave and Dave

After a brief bit of pavement along highway 145, it was back to a gravel road. Gravel definitely keeps you on your toes more than pavement, but isn't nearly as much fun as dirt. It seems to have the potential wipe-out factor, with out as much fun or creativity as the dirt paths have to offer. In any case, after being on either dirt of gravel, we'd generally get sleepy after more than 10 minutes of asphalt...

From Track Dave and Dave

Before we knew it, we were off the gravel and into dirt, or rather mud. The recent rains and omni-present cattle had really done a number on the path...

From Track Dave and Dave

There were plenty of puddles/ponds that were initially avoided...

From Track Dave and Dave

...and then seeked out to see how big of a splash could be made. This was great fun until Dave & Ann hit a big ol' puddle that was about a foot or two deeper than they were expecting and the bike bucked them off. It was both hilarious, a bit scary, and definitely messy. They were both okay, but we proceeded ahead with a bit more caution...

From Track Dave and Dave

Coming out of that stretch, it started to rain on us a bit, but the downhill section, albeit thoroughly muddy was a great time (for me at least). Dave & Ann's confidence may have taken a step back after their fall, and subsequent slipping and sliding. The trail went through a birch/aspen(?) forest with some nicely burmed turns, while some lightning and thunder were going off around us.

From Track Dave and Dave

Just outside the forest, there was a brief, recently paved section that lead by Dolores campground. It ended up being a good spot to take a break, catch some sun, and checkout some wild-life. The chipmonks were seriously fat (probably from all the red M&Ms -- Ann couldn't resist).

From Track Dave and Dave

Back on the trail, we had a bit of a routing issue. We had taken Sam's maps and converted them into tracks for our GPS's. Our tracks had us cutting across a field occupied by more cows...

From Track Dave and Dave

We're pretty sure it wasn't right, but after a bit of trailblazing we were back on track. Coming out of western Colorado and heading into eastern Utah, we were all a bit concerned that the scenery of the Colorado mountains was all behind us. It looked like we were entering endless farmlands...

From Track Dave and Dave

and tweakers...

From Track Dave and Dave

and radio-activity...

From Track Dave and Dave

(Note that this section of the TAT was fully closed, either by actual radio-activity, or a pissed-off land-owner. It wasn't too hard to route around)

Before we knew it, we were back in the cow-infested mountains. In this case, the Manti-La Sals, and towards Mt. Peale.

From Track Dave and Dave

Rush hour...

From Track Dave and Dave

We ended up cowboy camping for the night on the mountain, overlooking Moab and the Canyonlands...

From Track Dave and Dave

After gathering some wood...

From Track Dave and Dave

and making a fire...

From Track Dave and Dave

we called it a night.

From Track Dave and Dave

rubberneck screwed with this post 08-06-2009 at 08:36 PM
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #43
30West
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciampa
I just added the TAT to my list of things I need to do before I die.

+1. Absolutely amazing.
30West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #44
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
In.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #45
CoydogSF OP
Ambitious Amatuer

Oddometer: 105
Manti-La Sal into Moab (and Onion Creek)

As Dave said, the views from the Manti-La Sal Forest more than made up for the long day and some of the loosest and rockiest riding. It may have been my confidence slipping or considering myself lucky that thus far I had only slightly bruised my passenger in the "3 foot deep if it was a foot" mud bog incident, but a few sections in the Manti-La Sal were the only places so far that I suggested Ann get off the bike and let me tackle them solo.

Here's some video of the mud leading up to our somewhat dramatic dump.

And the views that rewarded us for our efforts...

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

The next morning, we bumped and revved the bikes back up to the main road only to find that the random offshoot we'd followed the night before while looking for a camp site was in fact the TAT track. We'd pretty much camped right in the middle of it!

From Track Dave and Dave

We wound down towards Moab on a combination of dirt and narrow pavement, passing such landmarks as the rubber-marked Slickrock area.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

Once in Moab, we surveyed the options on mainstreet and settled on the Slickrock Campground at the north end of town (not in the Slickrock area). We were planning to wake up early the next day and do the White Rim Trail and weren't really sure where would be best to camp. In the end, the friendliness of the woman behind the counter, her stories about dirt biking all around the area, and her offer to loan us the Wells Moab 4wd trails book (plus the swimming pool and wireless!), convinced us to stay.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

After getting settled, we grabbed the Wells book and headed up the Colorado River on 128 looking for a swimming hole. After a dip a Big Bend, the Onion Creek Trail caught our eye in the book and we went to explore. For some reason, it didn't stick in my head when the book said "if you have kids, a fun thing to do is have them try to count the water crossings on the trail." But within minutes of the turnoff, we were laughing hysterically and barelling through increasingly deep water around every corner. I would HIGHLY recommend it if you have an extra day in Moab and want to cool off. Video is the only way to show it...

&nbsp
&nbsp

Trying to keep up with Dave on the way back (remember I'm 2up and Ann's asking over the Scala "Are we going a little faster now?" to which I'm responding "It just seems faster 'cause we're behind Dave.")...

&nbsp
&nbsp

Back to the campground to clean up, dump videos and pictures etc and margaritas started sounding pretty good. We went to an early dinner ("Baja Restaurant?") and came back for a good night's sleep before the White Rim Trail at the crack of dawn.

CoydogSF screwed with this post 08-10-2009 at 03:13 PM
CoydogSF is offline   Reply With Quote