I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Very nice stuff.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #47
dr350maniac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Your bikes look familiar..... I'm convinced I saw them when I was roaming the hills around Silverton/Ouray between July 20th and 30th.

I was in my Jeep. Next time I go, I will take my DRZ too. Did you folks see me?

My Jeep sticks out like a sore thumb with the windshield banner.

This was on Poughkeepsie Gulch.

dr350maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #48
CoydogSF OP
Ambitious Amatuer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr350maniac
Your bikes look familiar..... I'm convinced I saw them when I was roaming the hills around Silverton/Ouray between July 20th and 30th.

I was in my Jeep. Next time I go, I will take my DRZ too. Did you folks see me?

My Jeep sticks out like a sore thumb with the windshield banner.
I definitely remember seeing that banner. On 7/29, we rode Cinnamon (top at 10:45 am), Animas Forks (around 11:30 am), California (top at 12:00 pm), Corkscrew (around 12:30 pm) then stopped into Silverton for food (and a break from the rain aroujnd 1:30 pm) and continued over Ophir Pass (3:20 pm) eventually cutting up 145 for a night in Telluride. If you remember about where you passed us, we might just have some video of it.

CoydogSF screwed with this post 08-09-2009 at 11:04 AM
CoydogSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #49
CoydogSF OP
Ambitious Amatuer

White Rim Trail

It says right there on the bag that Maverick is "Adventure's First Stop" so after some McMuffin's, coffee and stocking up on Cliff Bars, trail mix, and Gatorade, by 7 am we were headed out to tackle the White Rim Trail.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

We used the Wells book to find the counter-clockwise starting point at Mineral Bottom Road which leads to Horsethief Trail. Only a total idiot would confuse this with Mineral Bottom Trail that leads to Horsethief Camp. Fortunately, this morning, we did not fall into this category. The road was fast but deeply rutted from what looked like recent rains. At 55 mph, if you lost concentration for a sec, it was easy to find yourself bumping along for a quarter mile in one of these ruts until you could find an opportunity to hop out.

From Track Dave and Dave

We'd heard a lot about the switchbacks on either side of the trail. "Hit them early in the day when you're fresh" etc. Didn't really seem to make any difference since there were steep switchbacks on both ends of the trail and compared to the loose grapefruits coming down from California or Ophir, these were cake.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

Once at the bottom, we generally skirted the left side of the canyon, at times climbing on trails rising up on the steep, red rock walls.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

We followed a little side trail that was on the GPS track we'd downloaded somewhere and found the first of many lonely bathrooms scattered along the route. Here Ann is either signifying that this is the first of the day's bathroom stops or indicating which number she did.

From Track Dave and Dave

Not too long after, we encountered the first obstacles of our counter-clockwise route. The first was some deep sand running for maybe 100 yards ending with a turn up to the left. The Orange Crush crew will be disappointed to hear that I didn't drop the F800GS in the sand but definitely had to paddle a few sections to get myself and pillion through.

The next section was the climb up Hardscrabble Hill. Ann and I had been feeling pretty confident riding rough trail with both of us standing and didn't even hesitate as the incline increased and small steps started to appear. But then they kept coming... We communicated over the Scala the whole way with me mostly trying to infuse confidence into statements like "Okay, big bump coming up. We got this?" After a sunny stretch along the canyon wall, the trail turned left into the shade and I think we both let out an "Oh $H!T!" when we saw a jumble of rock shelves and small boulders across the width of the track. We kept our momentum, stayed flexible in the knees, and pretty much just hung on as the big bike bounced up and over the whole mess.

Definitely one of the more exciting 2up experiences and all caught on the helmet cam. Something must be wrong with the difficulty detection meter tho because, of course, on the video, it really doesn't look that steep or challenging... There's some "chase bike" video too that might look more impressive.

On the other side of Hardscrabble Hill was a challenging descent. The step itself was probably about similiar to the ones we'd encountered on the way up but the precipitious drop on the right side was enough to make us decide that I'd attempt it without Ann on the back. Even still, I managed to psych myself out enough that instead of following the smoother (but MUCH closer to the edge) route I'd be planning, the bike's self-preservation instincts headed closer to the wall through loose baby heads towards the 18 inch drop I'd wanted to avoid. At that point, I panicked, dabbed my rear brake foot (rookie!), and utimately dropped the big beemer which then received a swift kick to its saddle for its insubordination.

From Track Dave and Dave

This guy had an easier time.

From Track Dave and Dave

As did Ann happily waiting at the bottom.

From Track Dave and Dave

Soon after, we hiked up to some shade for a lunch break.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

By this time, the sun was rising to the center of the sky and the temps were rising. Ann, blocked from the airflow behind me and wearing a black pressure suit was beginning to really feel the heat. We were just about 50 miles in, halfway, and had at least three or four more hours to go. Dave and I were feeling good so we pressed on with frequent shade stops and making sure Ann had as much water as she could drink. Our increasingly frequent bathrooms stops made us confident she was staying hydrated.

We pressed on through more amazing scenery with cliffs of equal scale climbing above us and dropping below us.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

The next challenge we'd read about was Murphy Hogback. I had been quoted (while sitting comfortably on my couch) as saying that it really didn't look that bad from the pictures. Prepared to eat my words, I warned Ann, kept our speed up and just charged it. The F800GS threw us up and over with little fanfare.

And Dave made it look like nothing.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

The rest of the trail was a bit more of a slog, possibly just because we knew the obstacles were behind us and Ann was still running hot. We just kept pressing on and finding shade when we could.

From Track Dave and Dave

At least the view was nice during our stops.

From Track Dave and Dave

From Track Dave and Dave

About 8 miles before the final switchbacks, we came across two brand new rented Toyotas (a Highlander and a RAV4) filled with 8 or 10 French tourists. We stopped and talked to them about the trail, giving Ann as much time as we could sitting in the driver's seat with the AC cranked. They had been told by a ranger that the trail would be no problem and planned to camp one night along the way. Thinking back Hardscrabble and Murphy Hogback, we told them we weren't so sure about that. In the end, one of the French guys gave Ann his bandana soaked with cool water and we set off in different directions.

From Track Dave and Dave

Just at the base of the final switchbacks, we caught up with another family of French tourists who willingly allowed Ann to ride final 30 minutes or so in the back of an airconditioned rental car instead of the back of a tight, bumpy, dusty and HOT F800GS.

From Track Dave and Dave

Though they were tempted to keep her, we negotiated her release at the top and revved the big bikes up to 90 as we sped towards the campground pool and a welcome dip. It was a long day on the WRT with all of our shade stops but quite doable on the big bikes and with a willing passenger. Of course, we were pretty well warmed up after two weeks on the trail, but the two main obstacles could be walked by a passenger if necessary. The usual WRT warnings apply - bring lots of water and enough food and supplies to crawl under a rock and wait out the sun if you need to.

It was a tough day for Ann, but looking over my shoulder as I was reviewing the pictures to write this, she just said, "We should go back and do that again in October."
Old 08-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #50
dr350maniac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoydogSF
I definitely remember seeing that banner. On 7/29, we rode Cinnamon (top at 10:45 am), Animas Forks (around 11:30 am), California (top at 12:00 pm), Corkscrew (around 12:30 pm) then stopped into Silverton for food (and a break from the rain around 1:30 pm) and continued over Ophir Pass (3:20 pm) eventually cutting up 145 for a night in Telluride. If you remember about where you passed us, we might just have some video of it.
I did a short route on Wednesday the 29th, and went up towards Animas Forks, but stayed on the high road, then continued past the turn off that goes Up Cinnamon Pass, then went over towards the old town site of Mineral Point.

According to my track log properties, I left Silverton around 7:30am, went through Eureka around 8am, then messaed around on some side roads near Mineral Point, then made my way back to Silverton, arriving there about 11:45am.

Next summer when i go back, I'm taking my DRZ too.

D
dr350maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #51
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Awesome adventure!

I aspire to do the same on my F800GS as well. I am relatively new to dirt and not confident yet on the big heavy bike on tight turns and loose tracks. I have some dirt parks around here to practice in.

One guy I met recently also took an F800GS through the TAT and said I should avoid the areas in Colorado and west if my skills are lacking. Would you advise the same? Thanks.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #52
CoydogSF OP
Ambitious Amatuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Awesome adventure!

I aspire to do the same on my F800GS as well. I am relatively new to dirt and not confident yet on the big heavy bike on tight turns and loose tracks. I have some dirt parks around here to practice in.

One guy I met recently also took an F800GS through the TAT and said I should avoid the areas in Colorado and west if my skills are lacking. Would you advise the same? Thanks.
We were pretty new to dirt as well but worked hard to get ourselves ready for the trip. Of course, first hand instruction from a more experienced rider would be ideal, but in our case, we had to settle for Neduro's DualSport riding videos (http://www.dualsportriding.com/) and increasingly difficult trails at Carnagie OHV park. We outfitted our bikes with crash bars and hand guards so we could feel comfortable to push the limits in our practice, controlling the bikes while moving as slowly as possible and learning when to commit with momentum to carry over an obstacle. And we both started with a decent degree of athleticism (and stubborness).

I think if you take your bike out to a local dirt park and work up through the intermediate trails, you'll start to have a pretty good idea of what you're capable of. Oh and keep in mind, you're brand new, sparkly F800GS is gonna start to look like a whipped mule pretty quick, but I think they look even better with some character marks.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:03 AM   #53
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,111
"800 looks like a whipped mule"

and you aint even in Nevada yet !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #54
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
"800 looks like a whipped mule"

and you aint even in Nevada yet !
I don't see it. Looks like two bikes ridden, three people, lots of miles, good times. Envious...
Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #55
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

No, I didnt say the comment about the 800, the author did. I was just saying Nevada will whip it a little more. But in jest.
I've ridden the TAT already. Awesome! I also own a 800. Still envious though, I'm stuck here in NJ !

Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #56
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
No, I didnt say the comment about the 800, the author did. I was just saying Nevada will whip it a little more. But in jest.
I've ridden the TAT already. Awesome! I also own a 800. Still envious though, I'm stuck here in NJ !

Oh... my bad. :')
Old 08-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #57
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Anyone from Incline Village is OK with me ! No worries my friend.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #58
CoydogSF OP
Ambitious Amatuer

Whipped Mule

Certainly no offense taken from the mention of my "whipped mule" comment. The KTM would look as bad if they hadn't pressure washed it when they put new tire on in Denver! The idea of the trip was definitely to put these bikes through their paces.

And, BTW, at this point in the story, we actually ARE through NV. We rode the TAT west from Eureka, NV to Baker (on the UT border) before cutting up to SLC. Really pretty in there and desolate feeling. Long two tracks through sage brush across endless valleys towards distant mountains. You would look up at the clouds after a stretch and you'd see an optical illusion of them folding in on themselves from watching the sage whiz by. Humbolt National Forest and Sawmill Canyon have great, challenging roads through the mountains. I would definitely head out there for a four or five day trip from SF.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #59
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
This is an awesome report!! Thanks, the videos and pictures are fantastic, really some beautiful country you rode through.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #60
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,455
I showed my daughter the videos of the WRT last night she said it looked much easier on the video! She didn't have any problem with the sand or Hardscrabble, but the ledge on Murphys claimed a brake lever.

Keep up the great report!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote