User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Garthe OP
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,289
The Montesa Cota 315 R Thread...

Lets see your 'last of the two stroke' Montesa Cota 315 R Trials Motorcycles...

Maintance, aftermarket parts and custom stuff...

Thanks, Jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,340

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
kennyh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
My 02. What a fun machine.

kennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Garthe OP
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,289
Thanks...

Thanks for posting your pictures .

I started this tread because I love my 315 and wanted to share info with a wide range of people.

Due to your second son being born two weeks ago and work issues, I have not been able to post pics of my 315.

This will change soon and thanks to those that have already done so...

Jim

I finally have pictures of my 315..

Garthe screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 11:26 PM
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
mxasp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Have had more fun on my 315 in last couple years than all my 35 years riding put together I think. And has made me a better skilled rider on road and dirt
mxasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,222
Shit, now I want one. DANG!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Sniper X, New Mexico has a very good trials community you should be able to find one around there somewhere.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,248
As part of the New Mexico Trials community, here's a couple of pics of my '99 315R.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #9
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,513
Parts availability?

How is the parts availability for Montesa? There is an '01 315 for sale not too far from me...asking $1700. Other than riding my brothers Ossa MAR back in the day this would be my first trials bike.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
jbrownmxr
Gas Passer

Oddometer: 331
Parts

Parts availability has been good. Adrian and Mandy Lewis of lewisport bought all the parts from Apex sports a while back. What they don't have on hand they can get in a few weeks from over seas. The main things with trials bikes is that they don't need much. They are stone reliable.

On a side note, the 01 through 04 really are the pinnacle of the 2T Montesa. They have a better carb and the Showa suspension. $1700 if it's in decent shape is a good deal. If it is in great shape it's a steal.

JB
jbrownmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownmxr
Parts availability has been good. Adrian and Mandy Lewis of lewisport bought all the parts from Apex sports a while back. What they don't have on hand they can get in a few weeks from over seas. The main things with trials bikes is that they don't need much. They are stone reliable.

On a side note, the 01 through 04 really are the pinnacle of the 2T Montesa. They have a better carb and the Showa suspension. $1700 if it's in decent shape is a good deal. If it is in great shape it's a steal.
All I have seen so far is a picture, it looks like it is in decent shape. I hope to look at it next tuesday, anything I should look for?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
jbrownmxr
Gas Passer

Oddometer: 331
Tire Kicking

I always ask the seller to have a cold motorcycle for me to start. Have him show you how to turn on the gas and where the choke is. See if it fires up. Usually a kick or two. While it's warming up look it over closely. Scratches are expected in a trials bike but look over the fork tubes for scratches and leaky seals. Make sure there is rebound damping in the shock. Look over the foot peg hangers. They are a sign of wear and develop cracks. Once the fan goes on (which it should) then take it for a spin. It will likely drag the clutch. There are reasons for this and ways to correct it . It is normal. Make sure it shifts through all the gears smoothly and brakes well.

For the record I have a 4RT and purchased an 01 315 as a loaner for my buddies. I paid $1700 and put about $600 getting it right.

JB
jbrownmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:12 AM   #13
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownmxr
I always ask the seller to have a cold motorcycle for me to start. Have him show you how to turn on the gas and where the choke is. See if it fires up. Usually a kick or two. While it's warming up look it over closely. Scratches are expected in a trials bike but look over the fork tubes for scratches and leaky seals. Make sure there is rebound damping in the shock. Look over the foot peg hangers. They are a sign of wear and develop cracks. Once the fan goes on (which it should) then take it for a spin. It will likely drag the clutch. There are reasons for this and ways to correct it . It is normal. Make sure it shifts through all the gears smoothly and brakes well.

For the record I have a 4RT and purchased an 01 315 as a loaner for my buddies. I paid $1700 and put about $600 getting it right.
Thanks for the advice, Next Tuesday I will go kick the tires...and take the trailer with me.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Montesas in the moonlight

Here is a shot of our 2 babies. The 315 is on the right.

Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
What foot pegs and brackets are those? They look WAY better than stock.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote