User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Oddometer: 190
Riding trials with lower back problems?

Hi all, I'm looking at getting into trials riding. I've got a lower back problem that is made better by standing up (hence being up on the pegs permanently looks great!), however, I the more I watch videos of people doing wheel hops etc. I'm wondering if those little impacts would actually piss my back off. Anyone else out there riding with lower back issues?
Epy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
dodgerdodger
Acountabilabuddy

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epy View Post
Hi all, I'm looking at getting into trials riding. I've got a lower back problem that is made better by standing up (hence being up on the pegs permanently looks great!), however, I the more I watch videos of people doing wheel hops etc. I'm wondering if those little impacts would actually piss my back off. Anyone else out there riding with lower back issues?
Yup, as a few years ago I had diagnosed an L4/L5 combined issue (one bulged disk and one herniated disk). Now 4 years later my back still hurts like hell, but to me riding outways the pain (both enduro riding and trials). Honestly, even if my back is pinching or hurting before the ride, I generally never notice the pain while riding........though may pay for it a bit when done.

Until I get it fixed (which hopefully will be sooner than later), I'd rather be riding and in pain, than not riding...........I'm 40 y.o. of that makes any difference.

There is lots of strain on the back for some things in trials, and other things it doesn't seem to bother it so much, but I believe it will be different for everyone.

Just my $0.02.............
2009 YZ250F
2012 1/2 sherco 3.0 Cabestany
dodgerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 849
I have seen quite a few posts up here by people riding trials with back issues...

Most have indicated they are not intending to get into upper level riding witch would be where I would expect impacts to be harder on back issues.

Many of them have indicated they do better with high bend bars and even lifting the bars with risers. This could limit ones ability to do the more advanced moves however most of the people indicating they have back problems are just after some good fun and so it often isn't a big deal.

I would think that as long as you are after a good time and willing to set the bike up to prevent/help limit the back issues from getting worse you will have a great time. But as in many things it is a physical sport and only you will be able to tell if it is or isn't within your scope and or what you may or may not be able to do for the bike to make it work.

Best of luck, and I hope you are able to join the trails community and enjoy it as much as we do!
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,787
I crushed by T8 vertebrae while riding trials. Hope this helps...
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
I crushed by T8 vertebrae while riding trials. Hope this helps...
So whats the rest of the story, how, when, doing what move, etc? Details man, details!
Old 09-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
flo10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Everyone's situation is going to be different--it all depends on what is wrong and how you ride. My back went out pretty bad about 10 years ago, it was slowly getting better and about 8 years ago I figured what the hell and got a trials bike. It actually seemed to help my healing process. I still have a little pain now and then, but the surprising thing is I am usually pain free for a few days after a good weekend on the trials bike. I think it is more the trail riding rather than the sections that helps my back--kind of a full body workout. At age 60, this year I rode the national series and the Ute Cup along with a few other events with no back problems--other problems sure--but no back problems. Works for me.
flo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Think I'm going to go for it as I think it'll actually help my back as well. I just need to remember to always keep my knees bent and soak up as much as I can with my legs.

Thanks all.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,018
When I don't ride trials my back after a few months starts to hurt all the time. I don't get why trials helps my joints so much. I suspect it's the deep movements with very little impact.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Epy OP
Hen-teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
When I don't ride trials my back after a few months starts to hurt all the time. I don't get why trials helps my joints so much. I suspect it's the deep movements with very little impact.
I hope your back is like mine. If so, I'll practice everyday in my backyard.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
gmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I injured my lower back 23 years ago and figured that was the end off my riding - trials, enduro, hare scrambles and street. After getting past the worst of the pain I started getting the itch to ride again. As a test I bought a non-suspension mountain bike and started riding my old dirt bike trails as a way of testing my back. Like some have said the back seemed better not worse. So combined with stretching and back exercises for a half hour twice a week I was back on the bikes. If I neglect the exercise I know the difference - day to day and post ride; but it's all manageable and I get to ride. Not competitively, but great recreation.

I think the improvement people experience riding is simply down to the minor amount of body core exercise that strengthens the core muscles and supports the back better. I got more improvement from the stretching and exercises than the riding but continue both to get the maximum effect.

Go for it - it's a miserable life laying on the couch...

Cheers Garry
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
2whlrcr
gooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
So whats the rest of the story, how, when, doing what move, etc? Details man, details!
1991? at an event in Polo, IL. There is a local hill climb there and we rode a section that finished coming down the hill climb. It had been extremely dry that year and the hill was like hard surface concrete with a layer of powder dirt on top...no traction. This hill also had several jumps on the way up. Anyway as I entered the hill and started down I lost traction, couldn't keep from speeding up. I was headed towards one of these drop off jumps and decided to bail off the back of my bike. I didn't get off soon enough and ended going over the jump, landing stiff legged from about 10 feet up. Crunch!!!

Most pain I ever experienced. No ambulance on site. AMA says it not required at a trials event, because ya know, you're not going fast, so you can't get hurt at a trials. Anyway, crushed T8, 8 hours in surgery, plates, pins, bone grafts, 3 days in ICU, 5 weeks in the hospital and 8 weeks in a body cast. 2 months off of work, only because I only have to be able to drive to work. If I had a physical job, I would have been off for a minimum of 6 months. I had spinal cord injuries and the doctors did not know if I would be walking or rolling out of the hospital. I was walking with a couple of weeks and the doctor was calling it a minor miracle. I have permanent nerve damage on my left quads and suffer weakness and numbness on that side.

The doctors recommended I never ride again, but that I could resume skiing within a year. I told the doctor that I fall way more often skiing than riding. Within two years I was back to riding trials, racing HS and enduros and racing bicycles. My performance suffers, especially bicycle racing, but I can still do it. As someone just said, you've got to live your life and luckily I don't suffer from reoccurring pain from the accident. But at almost 60, I've got my usual aches and pains like anybody else and I think being active and fit, is the best medicine. Although, I should have bought stock in Ibuprofen.

There, aren't you sorry you asked now?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #12
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,350
No, great story. Seemed like I rode a national there in 1996. Worst humidity, place, sections, humidity, land rules, humidity that I ever dealt with. Hill climb was cool.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
2whlrcr
gooligan

Hmmm, I don't remember a National there, but there could have been. I didn't start competing in trials again until 2003. And we have to deal with the humidity every summer. I love going to CO for a week every year, to escape this shit.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #14
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
... There, aren't you sorry you asked now?
Not sorry I asked at all, a bit sorry you had to go through that, but quite the story and glad the ending is you still riding! Always useful to here about what can happen, helps me be aware of possibilities I might not have antisipated elswise.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #15
Purch23
Dirtbiker

Oddometer: 171
I have back problems which has seriously limited my physical activities. I can ride enduros for 3 hours without taking a break but I break every 10-15 minutes riding trials b/c my back (amongst other things) will ache. Maybe my trials bike isn't set up perfectly. My enduro bike is. I'm a trials novice at best.

Definitely buy a trials bike and give it a whirl. Best case scenario you found a new endeavor. Worst case scenario you sell the bike.

I'm 37 by the way.