User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
mung OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Reiger service

Has anyone found a place to service Reiger shocks in the US ? My 12 Raga could use a service. Not that it is leaking but it is getting enough time on it fresh oil and innards would be nice.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Jackscycles is currently the Rieger US service center and can rebuild your shock to OEM spec. Talk to Stu at: www.jackscycles.com
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
mung OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks. I bought a heavier than stock spring from him but did not know that he was set up to service them.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Its a new service arrangement - so I think your one of the 1st few to know.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
mung OP
Studly Adventurer

Talked with Stu yesterday. He said that if you are a hard riding expert-pro level rider service every two years is good. If you are a lower class rider every four to five years is good. Since the shock on a trialer is not very stressed that seems reasonable to me.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
Has anyone found a place to service Reiger shocks in the US ? My 12 Raga could use a service. Not that it is leaking but it is getting enough time on it fresh oil and innards would be nice.
motobene might do this?
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
motorcyclemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Might be worth getting in touch with this guy (I'm guessing since it says So. Cal - Randy Lewis?).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reiger-Trial...d37661&vxp=mtr
motorcyclemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #8
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
motobene might do this?
I found myself going to Holland on other business and when there ended up with a few hours on the last day to see Reiger. Got lost and almost didn't make it. Then I called or emailed Stu about it. He didn't seem interested and I was too busy so I dropped the idea of service work.

I too need my `12 and Factory shock serviced. A good excuse to call Stu and see who is doing it and what it will cost. If it's in the US - which would be good - I hope they are doing it just like the factory would, with their nitrogen gas tools, for example. One reason I did not pursue service work or display inside the Reiger shock is when there the engineer I spoke to said Reiger's owner get quite pissed when people publically display his shock's innards. I didn't want to put Stu in any kind of bind with them.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
mung OP
Studly Adventurer

MM- thanks for the info -I am in contact with him now. MB- Let Reigers owner get pissed. Anything mechanical needs servicing and if he does not take care of it somebody will. Stu told me how he checks for wear but didn't say anything about doing an actual service or repair.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
MM- thanks for the info -I am in contact with him now. MB- Let Reigers owner get pissed. Anything mechanical needs servicing and if he does not take care of it somebody will. Stu told me how he checks for wear but didn't say anything about doing an actual service or repair.
OK I'll call Stu. If there's no one doing it yet there is still a need and I need to fill it, with or without Reiger's official blessing.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemark View Post
Might be worth getting in touch with this guy (I'm guessing since it says So. Cal - Randy Lewis?).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reiger-Trial...d37661&vxp=mtr
I don't know if that is Randal Lewis, but he's one of the few in North America to get into and mess with this shock. I've talked with him several times. He's quite the nice and interesting fellow who can talk a long time about ideas off the beaten path, like much softer shock springs and much freer damping. He's critical of Reiger's small diameter shock piston and tight valve stack.

Note the price of the used shock on eBay, $500 and how it re listed. The market is small, but in general Reiger's prices and the Dollar-Euro exchange rate are hard on our miserly trials culture. Go price a Reiger factory shock retail and prepare to soil the pants!

Reiger is really top quality stuff. What's inside is quite brilliant and expensive to make. When I was there they were busy... very busy, so many are willing to pay a premium. And the trials bike shock is their cheapest and smallest! A huge Rally car shock must cost like a new car or something....

I noted in an article recently how Beta has found a source for its own high-end shock. That was mentioned in the Trials & Enduro News article on suspension setup. It think I saw a price that was, relative to Reiger, much more reasonable.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #12
mung OP
Studly Adventurer

I have also been in contact with him and he wants me to call him. On my Reiger I am one step stiffer on the spring and a few clicks lighter on the clickers. I am 255 ready to ride. To me it feels very good. Rear suspension is the only real big difference that I notice between my 04 Raga with Ohlins and the 12 Raga. The rest of the bike is almost the same between the 04 and the 12.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #13
laser17
Studly Adventurer

I think Stu had always been pushing for service in the USA, but Reiger was never warm to it until now. Fortunately, they finally pulled the trigger and set him up with all the tooling, special equipment, and OEM replacement parts to properly bring the shocks in the USA to OEM spec. Whats really exciting is that he partnered with one of the top suspension experts in country and the guy is local to the shop for easy logistics. He has done custom valving and springs for shocks and forks on just about everything under the sun including some very big names/teams in Mx /Sx and snowmobile teams. I think Reiger was very happy to know that a 20 year suspension expert was going to be on the team as well as a successful 3+ year sales relationship with JacksCycles.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
mung OP
Studly Adventurer

He told me that he has been working on suspension for 46 years. That should be enough time to know your stuff !
Old 12-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #15
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
He told me that he has been working on suspension for 46 years. That should be enough time to know your stuff !
True. And so have I. The Reiger presents challenges particularly in how they handle nitrogen fill. The gas port is tiny and hard up against the cylinder body.

I have a way around that via a specially machined valve, maybe, but it's one of those things I've pushed off a long time due to the crush of other things.