Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #91
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,805
NMTA seems to have a run on young, blonde trials girls that ride awesome! Take him up on it Erin and go after all the Novice boys!!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #92
tuscan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Montesa Cota 314R / Honda TLR260F (1994)

Hey guys - I'm new here and have just seen the Cota 314 pictures.

I have a Honda TLR260F 1994 here in New Zealand (an import), which is identical almost to the 314R - it was the Japan only model and getting parts and details on it are a pain. - but I'm getting there care of Sandifords in the UK who are brilliant.

Can anyone tell me what the engine oil capacity is - I can't seem to find this info anywhere. I reckon it is about 600 to 700ml based on similar Honda trails bikes.

Hoping someone can help me here.

Cheers

Tuscan
tuscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #93
Garthe OP
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,327
Bump.

Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #94
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
I just bought an '01 315R yesterday evening. Couldn't resist a quick spin around the yard before it got dark

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #95
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Any advice on the best place/brand/distributor to get fork guards? I'd like some of the full length ones as in several of the pictures in this thread. I particularly like the red ones (or real carbon fiber would be nice too - fake carbon bothers me and that's all I've found so far ).

Also, I noticed that most of the bikes pictured here have a chain guide on top of the swingarm that goes between the tire and chain. Mine doesn't have this. Should I get one? What's its use?

Next I'd like to freshen the bike up with new footpeg hangers and pegs. Should I go for OEM hangers or is there a better option? Garthe, are those stock hangers in your picture? Which pegs are those, looks like lewisport has many options.

I'd also like new clutch and brake levers as mine are a tad bent and floppy. Best source? Anyone using something like ASV or ARC levers?

Anything unusual about changing shock oil (that'd be different from doing the same on a MX bike)?

Anyone using the aftermarket link plates that are said to make the rear suspension feel a bit more lively?

My Cota 315R has seen a fair bit of use, but isn't badly worn. It has fairly recent tires, chain and sprockets. Levers and pegs look to be original. All linkage bearings were recently serviced, air filter, transmission oil etc. I noted it has a B6ES plug - I'll replace with a BR6E** as I've read the resistor is critical on this bike. I plan to change fork and shock oil, fit new levers, pegs and peg brackets and fork guards. Any other guards or maintenance items I'm likely overlooking? Chances are I'll crash it a bunch getting the hang of this stuff

It has a skid plate with the little tab in the front to help protect the header pipe. I'd love a CF wrap-around style pipe guard but haven't found a source for one yet. The header has several small dings, but nothing alarming. Hopefully I can keep it that way.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #96
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Any advice on the best place/brand/distributor to get fork guards? I'd like some of the full length ones as in several of the pictures in this thread. I particularly like the red ones (or real carbon fiber would be nice too - fake carbon bothers me and that's all I've found so far ).

Also, I noticed that most of the bikes pictured here have a chain guide on top of the swingarm that goes between the tire and chain. Mine doesn't have this. Should I get one? What's its use?

Next I'd like to freshen the bike up with new footpeg hangers and pegs. Should I go for OEM hangers or is there a better option? Garthe, are those stock hangers in your picture? Which pegs are those, looks like lewisport has many options.

I'd also like new clutch and brake levers as mine are a tad bent and floppy. Best source? Anyone using something like ASV or ARC levers?

Anything unusual about changing shock oil (that'd be different from doing the same on a MX bike)?

Anyone using the aftermarket link plates that are said to make the rear suspension feel a bit more lively?

My Cota 315R has seen a fair bit of use, but isn't badly worn. It has fairly recent tires, chain and sprockets. Levers and pegs look to be original. All linkage bearings were recently serviced, air filter, transmission oil etc. I noted it has a B6ES plug - I'll replace with a BR6E** as I've read the resistor is critical on this bike. I plan to change fork and shock oil, fit new levers, pegs and peg brackets and fork guards. Any other guards or maintenance items I'm likely overlooking? Chances are I'll crash it a bunch getting the hang of this stuff

It has a skid plate with the little tab in the front to help protect the header pipe. I'd love a CF wrap-around style pipe guard but haven't found a source for one yet. The header has several small dings, but nothing alarming. Hopefully I can keep it that way.
If you haven't already checked them out, see http://www.lewisportusa.com/parts_montesa.htm for lots of blingy stuff for the 315R as well as the 4RT. Adrian took over from Apex as US parts distributor and he has a wealth of knowledge about the bikes.
ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #97
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, I've scoured that site quite a lot, plenty of nice stuff there. Couldn't find the fork guards though and not sure about peg brackets.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #98
Garthe OP

I bought all my stuff from Lewis. The peg brackets and pegs were VERY $$$. But worth it to me. Lewis has some cool levers and side stand for the 315. I have the Delta plates...don't know if it really helps. I'm big and tall, so, I thought it couldn't hurt.

When I bought mine it looked good, but, was beat up inside. I fixed her up and I'm glad I did so. Those 315's will outlast us.

Good luck with your new bike.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #99
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Thanks, I've scoured that site quite a lot, plenty of nice stuff there. Couldn't find the fork guards though and not sure about peg brackets.
V-mar makes some nice stuff. I have the rear brake pedal and the shock linkage on my 315.

I really like the brake pedal, it's much shorter and tucks out of the way so it doesn't get snagged on obstacles (which is why the stocker got replaced). It's also easier for me to reach with my small feet.

I can't really comment on the linkage since I've never ridden the bike without it.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #100
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Cool thanks Charla

I'll probably get that brake lever. Would be no good to bust mine and not have a spare. I can fit the v-mar and keep the stocker as a spare:) Probably will get a shifter too.

I guess I should have a look and make sure my Monty doesn't already have the linkage too. To me the back end feels just a tad low and squisy so I think it probably doesn't, but then I'm a n00b.

(btw we met a few times summer '08 when I was interning in Denver - I was on a 919 and staying with Casey).

BikePilot screwed with this post 04-22-2011 at 11:13 AM
Old 05-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #101
Elefant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Sorry boys. That's a HONDA 315 R. Not a MONTESA COTA!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #102
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant View Post
No, that's an HRC Montesa.

ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #103
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
No, that's an HRC Montesa.

There were both, depending upon who was riding it. Fujinama was on a Honda and Colomer was on a Montesa when they were first introduced..
In big bold letters HONDA and the frames were slightly though noticeably different, definitely made by different people.
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #104
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr View Post
There were both, depending upon who was riding it. Fujinama was on a Honda and Colomer was on a Montesa when they were first introduced..
In big bold letters HONDA and the frames were slightly though noticeably different, definitely made by different people.

That's because they were (and still are) built in 2 different countries. The Honda RTL 315s and 4RTs are built in Japan for their domestic market (as far as I can tell), while the Montesas were built in Spain for world export. I know that Honda shut down the old Montesa plant in Spain and moved production to anther facility (the location escapes me at the moment).

Even though Fuji and Bou's bike says Montesa on it, those are one-off trick units built at HRC in Japan. It would not surprise me in the slightest if very little of the factory bikes share components with the production Japanese RTL or the Montesa 4RT.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #105
Garthe OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant View Post
I named this Thread...

If you like, you can check my past posts...I'm SURE I have other transgressions you could critique...

Some poeple have too much tmie on their hnads...