User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #121
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Fork Bushings?

I need to put new seals in the forks of my '01 315R (showa) - I have a set of seals, but no bushings at the moment. I assume it'd be wise to do bushings at the same time (I always do on my MX and sport bikes). Any ideas on where to get them? Do I have to special order from lewisport or has anyone investigated to see whether bushings for a different bike might work? (e.g., honda CR250R seals and bushings were a perfect fit in my husqvarna...).

Any tips or tricks? I've done dozens of dirt bike forks, but no trials bikes to date. I have the manual.

My front rotor has a bunch of play too - best source for new rotor buttons?

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #122
averagejoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Josh, I think the front rotors are floaters and are going to have some play. But I may be wrong...

Doug
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #123
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

You are very right - definitely a floater that should have some play. I think, based on experience with floaters on MX and sport bikes, that my front has too much. The bike can roll back and forth just enough to be unnerving with the front brake locked. The rotor stays still and the wheel rotates enough to let the bike move a bit (I'll have to pay more attention, but I think its probably about a half-inch of movement).

Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #124
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
The collars get worn on 2 sides by the motion of the rotor. You can rotate them 1/4 turn and get a bit more life out of them but eventually you'll have to replace them.

The fork bushings coating may be worn especially since trials riders rarely change their fork oil. Don't know of any other bushings that would fit.

Parts links:

http://lewisportusa.com/

http://overlandtrail.biz/

http://cascade-motorsports.com/
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #125
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Clever, thanks

Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #126
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Master View Post
Hi,
I have been competing on my electric trials bike (made from 2000 315R) for the last three seasons with the SactoPITS club in California. I have been trying to upload a couple of pictures, but all attempts fail. I even tried down loading one of the pics from this thread, but when I upload, that fails too. If someone can suggest a solution I could try again.

Electric bike has a Perm132 motor, Alltrax 7234 controller, and custom 72V 11ah battery. It weighs about 175 pounds. Recent improvements include a power selector switch (100, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50 %) on handlebar, clutch lever operates rear brake. Last year I modified the frame to allow the battery to sit within the frame instead of resting on top of it.

Check out some videos on youtube (early lead acid version, plus later lithium ion version). Search for ecotrials.
Hi Paul,I test rode your bike at a PITS event in Chrome recently,great fun and much appreciation for you letting me ride it. Take a bit to get used to but I see how it could work well. I posted a pic of your bike on the electric bike thread on here.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #127
Spacemonkeyr
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question Wild RPMs

I just bought a ’99 Montesa 315R. It looks to be in good shape, and is not beat up. Seems like low hrs. The skid plate is even in good shape. When I went to look at it, it was cold and fired on the first kick. Good compression. The guy was running it with the choke on, but when I turned the choke off it would sputter and die. Pretty common for the carb to be gunked up in bikes that have been sitting. I’ve bought several bikes that ran like that, took them home and cleaned the carb, good as new.

Brought it home. Not this case. Fired it up, cut the choke off, and revved it and it would run but not idle………then it started revving and went for the moon. Had to drop it in gear and bog it out with the rear brake. Discovered I could also pull the choke back up and calm it down. It was also flooding….had gas coming out of the breather tube (looks like an over flow but goes up to the small breather). The tit on the breather was broken off and the hose was hanging downward. I first thought it was an overflow tube.

Carb was clean. Did the full clean and blow out anyway. I did not pull the main jet because I can’t get the float arm rod out without destroying it (any suggestions on this?). With the bowl off I hooked it up to the tank and the main jet did not appear clogged and functioned correctly. As stated, carb was clean anyway. Only problem I discovered is one of the floats had fuel in it. So I ordered a new set of floats. Also, the float arm wasn’t parallel to the carb facing (was set at an angle that would cause the bowl to hold less fuel), so I bent the arm and made it parallel on approximately 18.5mm as the book suggests. Also, I tested 148lbs of compression after kicking it three times.

Put it back together with new floats and seemed good. Turned choke off after about 6-7 seconds and it sat there and idled. I would twist it and let off. Seemed very crisp and revs would go back down to idle. Seemed good. Fan kicked on. I rode it around for about 5 minutes or so, then it started losing the crispness of the throttle. Wouldn’t idle and died. Would start right back, but not idle, and not crisp. Then it started going for the moon again. So now, sometimes when I fire it cold, it will idle, sometimes it won’t. But after the motor warms up, it wants to rev for the moon. I’ve sat there running it with the choke on, then turning it off until it cleared out, then when it starts revving pull the choke back up. While doing the choke this way, I’ve sprayed carb cleaner all around the carb boot, base of the cylinder, head….doesn’t affect the idle. I even pulled the stator case back and sprayed down around the crank seal. Nothing. Changed the trans oil and there was no gassy smell there either.

The problem is apparent once the engine is warm.

So, has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything with the carb that can cause this? The carb looks to be in good shape with no noticeable wear on the slide. When it starts revving high, the throttle is closed and the slide is bottomed out. Anyone had crank seal problems with this engine? Any advice would be appreciated. I know it has to be sucking air somewhere, but the bottom end seems tight (no slop), and I get no change in the revs by spraying highly flammable liquid around the stator side of the crank seals…

I really don’t want to tear this engine completely apart if it could be a simple cause.
Spacemonkeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #128
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Make sure you have and "R" resistor type plug. Non resistor plugs make the bike act crazy. Check all vent tubes. The rear crossover vent should have a slit in it. If there is a vent tube filter...clean it. Did you pull out the choke slide and clean it?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #129
Spacemonkeyr
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
Make sure you have and "R" resistor type plug. Non resistor plugs make the bike act crazy. Check all vent tubes. The rear crossover vent should have a slit in it. If there is a vent tube filter...clean it. Did you pull out the choke slide and clean it?
I'm using a BR6ES plug. The crossover vent.....yeah I thought I "fixed that", but then found that the slit was supposed to be there after reading on this thread, so I put the original tube back on it. I was wondering why the tube had such a strange hole in it when I first saw it. No filter in the vent tube at the moment, so it is all clean. I need to locate a piece of foam to cut for it.

Also replaced the o-rings on the air screw and idle screw...

Choke slide: I did pull it out and clean it. There is a little wobble where it slides through the mount part of it. Could it be sucking enough air there to cause the problem? I sprayed it down with carb cleaner while running around the choke also...
Old 10-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #130
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

throttle cable routing is important. the elbow coming out of the carb top should be at 10 o'clock. then run the cable down the inside of the left frame rail. make sure the petcock does not touch the cable.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #131
Spacemonkeyr
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
throttle cable routing is important. the elbow coming out of the carb top should be at 10 o'clock. then run the cable down the inside of the left frame rail. make sure the petcock does not touch the cable.
Cable is correct and not binding. I left the airbox off last time I was tinkering with it so I could see into the throat of the carb. Slide stays bottomed out when it starts revving high. Petcock is clear too and is not stopped up.

When it's revving, it's not exactly running right. Sounds like it's only firing every other stroke. I do appreciate your efforts LowPSI. If you think of anything, please fire away.

I'm thinking about calling Mandy at Lewisport Monday and ordering the choke assembly because I am a bit suspect of the little bit of slop in it where it comes through the mount. I hate to just throw parts at it though, especially since I didn't get any action spraying it with cleaner. I will probaby fire it up and get it warm this weekend and grease up, or super glue, the top of the choke shaft to make sure it is sealed. I'm stuck in Mexico until Friday...

It's a head scratcher for me......
Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #132
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkeyr View Post
Cable is correct and not binding. I left the airbox off last time I was tinkering with it so I could see into the throat of the carb. Slide stays bottomed out when it starts revving high. Petcock is clear too and is not stopped up.

When it's revving, it's not exactly running right. Sounds like it's only firing every other stroke. I do appreciate your efforts LowPSI. If you think of anything, please fire away.

I'm thinking about calling Mandy at Lewisport Monday and ordering the choke assembly because I am a bit suspect of the little bit of slop in it where it comes through the mount. I hate to just throw parts at it though, especially since I didn't get any action spraying it with cleaner. I will probaby fire it up and get it warm this weekend and grease up, or super glue, the top of the choke shaft to make sure it is sealed. I'm stuck in Mexico until Friday...

It's a head scratcher for me......
Need to find another rider near you with similiar bike, see if you can swap carbs. IMHO you have an air leak at worst, or something is plugged up that is starving engine for fuel in the air/fuel entering the cylinder.

without being there, but have been there with other bikes I worked on,I think the missing souds you hear is probably detonation, which is hiding normal ignition.

I really hate to tell anyone to do something "dangerous" so bare with me, I dont want you to cause a fire, so be careful... but did you have the flywheel cover off when you sprayed carb cleaner? IS it smoking or anything else funny? Are you sure the carb cleaner you are using, affects the idle? with airbox open, did you shoot some in there to see how it affects engine speeds? I have honestly not worked on a clogged up bike, in a long time, and with our government, I wonder if carb cleaner is enough "flammable" to do testing, that is why I ask.

youmight have bent the float's level too much, and there might not be enough fuel in bowl to make things be "ok". I also dont know what you couldn't get to to clean, when you couldnt get float pin out?

Last guess (bench teching) where was the bike when you bought it, same altitude? maybe it is just setup too lean? Maybe the jets are clogged more than previously thought, I have had to clean with wire brush or fiber brush hair.... or depending on prev-owner's technical ability, has totally went off deep end trying to fix this problem, and has shot self in foot?

Cheaper ways to fix, then you've got to find guys in area, or mechanic in your area familiar with the montessa, to help. Checking your's is setup (carb parts, jet, needle settings, float leves, et al are close at least to "what works down here" if at all possible.

Mandy/Adrian should be of some help, since they travel and deal with issues like this for a while, on the montessa,

Maybe someone near you, trials dealer or MONTY fanatic can help. i suggest get to a club event or find the website of one near you, see if you can reach out somehow.

Trials Central, go there search theMontessa bike threads. Post a question up there, to ask about this, as well, if you havent? Maybe others have been through all of this, already and know it is a worn part like choke or something?

Good luck I wish I had more knowledge of them bikes.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #133
Spacemonkeyr
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Need to find another rider near you with similiar bike, see if you can swap carbs. IMHO you have an air leak at worst, or something is plugged up that is starving engine for fuel in the air/fuel entering the cylinder.

without being there, but have been there with other bikes I worked on, I think the missing souds you hear is probably detonation, which is hiding normal ignition.

I really hate to tell anyone to do something "dangerous" so bare with me, I dont want you to cause a fire, so be careful... but did you have the flywheel cover off when you sprayed carb cleaner? IS it smoking or anything else funny? Are you sure the carb cleaner you are using, affects the idle? with airbox open, did you shoot some in there to see how it affects engine speeds? I have honestly not worked on a clogged up bike, in a long time, and with our government, I wonder if carb cleaner is enough "flammable" to do testing, that is why I ask.

youmight have bent the float's level too much, and there might not be enough fuel in bowl to make things be "ok". I also dont know what you couldn't get to to clean, when you couldnt get float pin out?

Last guess (bench teching) where was the bike when you bought it, same altitude? maybe it is just setup too lean? Maybe the jets are clogged more than previously thought, I have had to clean with wire brush or fiber brush hair.... or depending on prev-owner's technical ability, has totally went off deep end trying to fix this problem, and has shot self in foot?

Cheaper ways to fix, then you've got to find guys in area, or mechanic in your area familiar with the montessa, to help. Checking your's is setup (carb parts, jet, needle settings, float leves, et al are close at least to "what works down here" if at all possible.

Mandy/Adrian should be of some help, since they travel and deal with issues like this for a while, on the montessa,

Maybe someone near you, trials dealer or MONTY fanatic can help. i suggest get to a club event or find the website of one near you, see if you can reach out somehow.

Trials Central, go there search theMontessa bike threads. Post a question up there, to ask about this, as well, if you havent? Maybe others have been through all of this, already and know it is a worn part like choke or something?

Good luck I wish I had more knowledge of them bikes.
No other Montesas around that I know of. I'm new to this area also. So trading out carbs is not an option.

The stator is mounted to the flywheel cover, so I can't pull the cover completely off and run it. I pulled it back about 1/2" and sprayed. Good call on the carb cleaner though, I should try to fog it with ether instead. That will make more of a difference if it is sucking air around the crank seal. Carb cleaner in the throat will affect the idle. It only smokes when I have to pull the choke to chill the revving. It should die to pull the choke with it warm I would think. That's what other bikes do when they are running right.

I bent the float arm to 18.5mm as the book called for, which will allow a higher fuel level than previously. It first started revving wildly when it was flooding because of the bad float.

Sorry for my misuse of Main Jet. What I meant was the main fuel valve that the float arm operates. I could not get the float arm pin out to remove the float arm in order to remove the valve. Bench testing it, it seems to operate correctly. I have found crap in those before that restricted flow. I have worked with many Mikuni's and Keihin's and the float arm pin was always loose in those. The Dellorto seems to be pressed in.

Same altitude as from where I bought it, but not sure where he got it from. My bad for putting too much good faith in the guy just because I met him at the shop that he owns, and he builds drivelines for Nascar. 2 million dollar building and him rolling up in a $50K '57 Chevy may have impaired my discernment. I should have checked the bike out more so like I normally do when buying a running bike.

I'm fairly positive that it is not starving for fuel, it's just getting extra air from somewhere. I've tried the airscrew from 3/4 turn out to a 1-1/4 turns. Seems to do the best right around 1 turn out.

Needle is on the 2nd groove. Not messed with that because I've never seen that make one do what this is doing. I do need to check the Jet sizes before calling Mandy/Adrian back.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #134
kennyh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Might ask around on this site, although you can hear crickets out there most of the time as it isn't super active.

http://http://setrialsriders.org/6/ubb.x

I bought my bike from a guy on the same board who used to sell a few montesas down at the honda shop in Aiken SC. He is pretty knowledgable about them and may even have some parts, not sure.

I had a similar event on mine (revved to the moon) last time I took the tank off and remounted it, but I'm pretty sure I had the cable bound up somehow. I added a fuel filter and there is precious little room under the tank for anything. Hasn't done it again. Good luck with it!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #135
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyh View Post
Might ask around on this site, although you can hear crickets out there most of the time as it isn't super active.

http://http://setrialsriders.org/6/ubb.x

I bought my bike from a guy on the same board who used to sell a few montesas down at the honda shop in Aiken SC. He is pretty knowledgable about them and may even have some parts, not sure.

I had a similar event on mine (revved to the moon) last time I took the tank off and remounted it, but I'm pretty sure I had the cable bound up somehow. I added a fuel filter and there is precious little room under the tank for anything. Hasn't done it again. Good luck with it!
This link will work better! http://www.stratrials.com/
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote