User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
hollerhead OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
KLR650 gas tank on an XR650L

I'm new to the 650L (yesterday) and want more fuel capacity but also want to stay with a metal tank.

I'm a welder and fabricator and had originally just planned on modifying the stock tank but had a thought that I may be able to modify the KLR tank mounts and save some time, sheetmetal work.

Has anyone tried to mount a KLR 650 tank on an XR650L?
hollerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,384
Why stick with metal?
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
hollerhead OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
Why stick with metal?
I want to keep the metal for a few reasons. Looks is one. I like the tight bends when compared to the more round "corners" of the plastic. The ability to have a better quality finish as well. I really don't like the looks of any of the plastic tanks that are on the market. I also like the overall stability of metal both from the UV degradation and the resistance movement. I also see some that sag over time and actually rest on the engine and I just hate the thought of that. I also like the option to weld in bungs and attach other mounting points to receive items that I'll probably want to add later on. Things such as GPS and tank bags and such will be much neater and more stable (at least in my mind). I like having options.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollerhead View Post
I want to keep the metal for a few reasons. Looks is one. I like the tight bends when compared to the more round "corners" of the plastic. The ability to have a better quality finish as well. I really don't like the looks of any of the plastic tanks that are on the market. I also like the overall stability of metal both from the UV degradation and the resistance movement. I also see some that sag over time and actually rest on the engine and I just hate the thought of that. I also like the option to weld in bungs and attach other mounting points to receive items that I'll probably want to add later on. Things such as GPS and tank bags and such will be much neater and more stable (at least in my mind). I like having options.
Fair enough. Member Kubiak has done some crazy metal tanks for the the old XR but I think he started with the stock tank for them.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
Fair enough. Member Kubiak has done some crazy metal tanks for the the old XR but I think he started with the stock tank for them.
Yeah, I remember that. He started with a stock tank. I couldn't find the thread but here its his profile: http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=75463
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:17 AM   #6
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,083
A KLR tank! Someone please go to Myrtle Beach and rescue that 650L, she doesn't deserve this...no bike deserves to be treated this way.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #7
hollerhead OP
n00b

Thanks, I'll try to check out his custom tanks.

And I thought I might be stepping into an area of sacrilege but I promise if I use one it won't have any green on it.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #8
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,693
I made the mistake of grafting a KLR650 rear cush hub onto my XR650L. The very next day it demanded a purple seat cover, a milk crate and a doo-hickey.

Don't even start down that slippery slope.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
I made the mistake of grafting a KLR650 rear cush hub onto my XR650L. The very next day it demanded a purple seat cover, a milk crate and a doo-hickey.

Don't even start down that slippery slope.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 740
Not that it is completely necessary, but a lot of the factory metal tanks have some type of plating (zinc?).

I've seen several older tanks that had just started rusting in the rear bottom corners and it looked like there was a coating that had begun to peel.

When the tank is modified and welded, that coating is surely gone or at least compromised in the weld area.

I wonder how long a uncoated tank will last before rust is very bad? Water does settle in the lowest part.

If found this short thread about tank coatings: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169825

Of course there are the liquid treatments like Kreem and Red Kote. I've used both on metal tanks with success.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,480
lotta metal in a klr tank & not a bad place to get some parts. the price is prolly right too. people that have never tried to make a compound curve don't understand. I've done a few. one here is a modified klr tank as a long distance runner for my bike. the project started because I wanted a 2nd tap to get to the secret reserve in the right cheek & it ended up getting bigger as well. I cut off the front, then split the tank down the top on both side & spread it. welded fill strips in the gaps and put on cheek pieces cut from an 80's something dirt bike tank. I filled in the back sides with sheet & only had to pound out 2 compound patches to blend the top corners. came out to 7 gal total with all useable. *stock tanks are 5.7 with .2 hidden

the tank was sloshed with POR tank sealer.... 7 years ago I think

painted to march the 05 scheme
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
hollerhead OP
n00b

Cool, nice work on the tank. I pounded out a few tanks back in the days of custom choppers and anytime I can start with some decent bones I'm happy to do so.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #13
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Looking at pictures of the KLR tanks on ebay. It appears that the tunnel is pretty shallow. Which makes me wonder if it would sit to high and cause steering/handlebar interference. But if you have access to one, or are willing to take a gamble on buying one to experiment with, I would say go for it.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:20 PM   #14
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollerhead View Post
I'm new to the 650L (yesterday) and want more fuel capacity but also want to stay with a metal tank.

I'm a welder and fabricator and had originally just planned on modifying the stock tank but had a thought that I may be able to modify the KLR tank mounts and save some time, sheetmetal work.

Has anyone tried to mount a KLR 650 tank on an XR650L?
Just so I can say I contributed to this abomination, I have a KLR tank you can have for free if you can't find one locally.

Your shipping costs might be plenty, but whatever. Let me know via PM.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote