User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
dirty_harry OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
DR650 weak spark, HELP

alright ADV, its time to work your magic. I'm currently in the arse end of greece, and have a 1992 model dr650 RSE with a super weak/no spark. I was trying to ride to australia but as it stands and due to an earlier mechanical in the trip it looks like i might start missing my visa dates here is the start of my ride report if you want more back ground
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=984256

So pulling up looking for camp last night, making some slightly strange noises but nothing that i deemed "life threatening" i was riding along fine, it felt a little down on power for the last couple of minutes riding, i put it down to being hot and i would deal with it in the morning cause i was knackered. pulled the clutch in to coast to a stop and look at a potential camp spot and the engine died completely. I guess it decided on our camp spot.

We had every farmer in this town come try help us today, one guy and a slightly earlier dr650 gave me a plug. i hadnt tried starting at all for the day but it started with the new plug (did i mention my starter relay died the other day and we've been push starting it ) but very roughly, rode for about a km and it died in the same fashion pulling up at a stop sign. towed it into town, replaced this guys plug for him and bought myself two new ones. towed back out of town to some shade and a quiet spot and im getting an occasional very very weak spark but mostly no spark at either plug, I've had the multimeter on the stator, the 2 exciter coils which i have concluded are wound together are giving me a reading of approx 350 ohm, from experience with a husky this seems extremely high, the husky was a single and albeit smaller winding but it was only a 30 ohm reading and i dont think the 2 windings are suitably bigger to facilitate a near on 300 ohm difference. the pickup coil is showing the correct values as per the manual so im assuming good. I havent really looked at the ignition coils but as both plugs and plug leads are doing the same yet it has separate coils i find it very very strange that it would be a coil problem as both wouldve had to fail at the same time.

as it stands we got a lift off the farmers to a nearby hotel. while this is good it is costing me more money than i have budgeted for and if my hunch of stator is correct then god knows were i will find enamelled wire in northern greece to rewind the stator.

if someone could give me readings for stator resistance and what resistance im looking for it would be wonderful or if anyone has any other suggestions that would be amazing. Im not spanner shy and i need to get this thing on the way asap otherwise i will miss my visas and i wont have any money left. haha.

cheers
dirty_harry is offline   Reply With Quote