Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 08:31 AM   #166
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
I DID get a second battery which failed as well. Both failed after regular riding. The second in the middle of a long trip too. In my cases, the failure was instant and complete. There was no 'weak battery' sense. Just good cranking one start and dead dead dead the next.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #167
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik
I've also got a starting problem, and was wondering if this sounds like what others have experienced, if it sounds like the battery. Several times recently I've taken the bike off the tender and gone for a ride. If I stop after 1/2 hr to hour and attempt to start it back up within minutes of stopping, it has a difficult time -- as if the starter is not being cranked with enough ooomph. Even more puzzling is what happend to me today, as after a few failed attempts and letting the bike sit for 5 minutes, it fired right up. I actually had the original battery replaced under warranty about a year ago, before BMW began somewhat admitting there was a problem with the battery. But of course it's possible I got a second bum battery. Eh?
this happens to me sometimes like when i stop for gas.i dont know if its a hot starter or neutral switch or something weird.but try this.next time put it in gear pull the clutch and have the kickstand up. then try and start it.i dont know why but it seems to work for me. when i dont want to wait five minutes. its not the battery i have a oddessey and still it does that sometimes.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #168
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9
this happens to me sometimes like when i stop for gas.i dont know if its a hot starter or neutral switch or something weird.but try this.next time put it in gear pull the clutch and have the kickstand up. then try and start it.i dont know why but it seems to work for me. when i dont want to wait five minutes. its not the battery i have a oddessey and still it does that sometimes.
Son of a bitch! I just went down to the garage to experiment, and I got it to exhibit the no-start behavior -- in neutral, clutch engaged (lever out), sidestand down -- crank, crank, crank but no start. Tried a few configurations, with sidestand up, in gear and clutch disengaged, etc ... got it to fire right up. I'll have to play around some more to determine a correlation; I couldn't immediately say whether it was sidestand or neutral sensor related, as I got it to start in the first configuration that failed, but that was after I put it in and out of gear and dropped/lifted the sidestand a few times. Now if some sensor was preventing it from starting, why would the system allow it to crank at all!?

Thanks satur9!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #169
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,555
Quote:
If I stop after 1/2 hr to hour and attempt to start it back up within minutes of stopping, it has a difficult time -- as if the starter is not being cranked with enough ooomph. Even more puzzling is what happend to me today, as after a few failed attempts and letting the bike sit for 5 minutes, it fired right up.
Don't have an answer, but want to ask clarification about cycling the key all the way to "off" before trying the restart. I've heard (maybe just bull-- guys talking around the campfire type thing) that cycling the key forces the ECM to re-evaluate running conditions (fuel, voltage, air temp etc.) so it can adjust mix and spark for optimal starting. Don't know if that's true, but do you remember if you cycled the key between the unsuccessful trys and the successful trys?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #170
Buddyboy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Exact same issue with no start after fill up

FWIW, I have the same problem. '07 xCountry. Stop, fill up, bike barely turns over and won't start. Let it sit 5 minutes and it fires right up. I've tried all combinations of kickstand up, down, neutral, in gear, clutch, etc. Nothing seems to work but letting it sit. Must be heat related, but what?
Buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #171
matloik
kludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
Don't have an answer, but want to ask clarification about cycling the key all the way to "off" before trying the restart. I've heard (maybe just bull-- guys talking around the campfire type thing) that cycling the key forces the ECM to re-evaluate running conditions (fuel, voltage, air temp etc.) so it can adjust mix and spark for optimal starting. Don't know if that's true, but do you remember if you cycled the key between the unsuccessful trys and the successful trys?
Yeah, I fully cycle off the key for a few seconds between tries. And let the system fully come up before pushing start.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #172
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,764
starter pinion

2007 Xchallenge
Kilometers about 10K

I have just got my bike; Xchallenge; on the road after buying it with some cosmetic damage and repairing it myself , I believe that the battery has already been replaced. The bike demonstrated an intermittent startingproblem when warm .
Sometimes, when I hit the starter button, the starter pinion does not engage; so I hear the startermotor go whizzz, but no cranking sound. I was lucky to be able to bump start it but as I was in the bush on two occasions, the anxiety levels rose a bit. Whizz, whizz, whiiiiizzz

I checked the side stand was up and made sure the bike was in neutral
I also tried puting the bike into gear and rocking it back and forth to change the crankshaft position, but no joy.
After bump starting, I can turn it off and it will start normally
dirtsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #173
evoluzione
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer
2007 Xchallenge
Kilometers about 10K

I have just got my bike; Xchallenge; on the road after buying it with some cosmetic damage and repairing it myself , I believe that the battery has already been replaced. The bike demonstrated an intermittent startingproblem when warm .
Sometimes, when I hit the starter button, the starter pinion does not engage; so I hear the startermotor go whizzz, but no cranking sound. I was lucky to be able to bump start it but as I was in the bush on two occasions, the anxiety levels rose a bit. Whizz, whizz, whiiiiizzz

I checked the side stand was up and made sure the bike was in neutral
I also tried puting the bike into gear and rocking it back and forth to change the crankshaft position, but no joy.
After bump starting, I can turn it off and it will start normally
sounds like a starter sparg clutch issue (the starter pinion does not move in & out).

ken zeller
president - evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #174
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoluzione
sounds like a starter sparg clutch issue (the starter pinion does not move in & out).
OK , yes of course, I was not thinking properly (working on older cars a bit lately)
dirtsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #175
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 971
The starting problems you guys are experiencing are coming from the solenoid...remove the right rad shroud, there's a couple tiny nuts on the solenoid that vibrate loose and build up resistance..take them apart and put dielectric grease and lock tite the nut after you replace...

The motion of getting on off the bike is enough to get the dirty contacts to work, thsn not work....

I also had this problem, but found the culprit on the trail one day...

The other big problem is the kickstand switch. ..disable it or bang it next time she gives you a hard time starting. .
toofast4uu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #176
evoluzione
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu
The starting problems you guys are experiencing are coming from the solenoid...remove the right rad shroud, there's a couple tiny nuts on the solenoid that vibrate loose and build up resistance..take them apart and put dielectric grease and lock tite the nut after you replace...

The motion of getting on off the bike is enough to get the dirty contacts to work, thsn not work....

The other big problem is the kickstand switch. ..disable it or bang it next time she gives you a hard time starting. .
if the solenoid or the kickstand switch were not working, the starter would not spin at all. as i understand, the symptoms were the starter spinning but not turning the engine over.

ken zeller
president - evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #177
Skullenton
Awesome

Oddometer: 82
Starter and Ignition

Model: xChallenge
Year: 2007
ABS: NIL
Mileage at time of issue: About 16, 000km
Modifications (if any): NIL
Description of Failure(s): The Starter started making a loud crack noise occasionally.
Resolution (if any): Clutch plates in starter had prematurely worn. Replaced under warranty (2 weeks left in warranty when it happened )

Model: xChallenge
Year: 2007
ABS: NIL
Mileage at time of issue: About 22,000km
Modifications (if any): NIL
Description of Failure(s): Engine cut out during a power-slide. There was no lights or anything coming on the dash.
Resolution (if any): Pulled the front end apart looking for loose wires. A wire must be loose in the ignition pod since I can bypass the ignition and start the bike. I cant seem to get the ignition pod apart to check the wiring. Has anyone else had any luck doing this?
Skullenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #178
matloik
kludge

Weeping master brake cylinder cap

Stopped by the dealer to have them take a look at my weeping master brake cylinder cap. Replacement of cap and diaphram will be done under warranty. They said they will also replace my battery when I come back, as part of the recall campaign.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #179
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Stopped by the dealer to have them take a look at my weeping master brake cylinder cap. Replacement of cap and diaphram will be done under warranty. They said they will also replace my battery when I come back, as part of the recall campaign.
Let us know what type of battery they will fit instead.
Thanks

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #180
matloik
kludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu

Had the no-start problem again this morning as I stopped for gas. I hadn't noticed this post of yours, toofast4uu. I'll have to check into this ... as this issue is sufficiently pissing me off. Can you confirm that the symptoms caused by these loose contacts are crank, crank, crank but no start/catch?

I've got a new battery coming from BMW, but I don't think this starting issue is the battery because when the stars are aligned, it fires right up. Or could, as some have said, that some internal defect in the battery prevents if from putting out quite enough juice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoluzione
if the solenoid or the kickstand switch were not working, the starter would not spin at all. as i understand, the symptoms were the starter spinning but not turning the engine over.
This is not true, at least as far as the sidestand switch. Try starting your bike with the sidestand down and in gear. It will turn over but won't catch. Brilliant, right there.

Anyway, again, after bitching for a few minutes and declining the gas station attendant's offer for a jump, and listening to his "should have bought a Harley" wisdom, it finally fires up.