ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #181
toofast4uu
adventurer
 
toofast4uu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 969
No...the issue with the solenoid: the starter will not crank at all...

After reading your description from todays incident, I'm pretty confident it's the kickstand switch...Next time it happens, try slamming the kickstand up/down once or twice..

If that's not it, then I don't know what else to tell you...

good luck and keep us posted..
toofast4uu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #182
matloik
kludge
 
matloik's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: PDX | Hood River
Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu
No...the issue with the solenoid: the starter will not crank at all...

After reading your description from todays incident, I'm pretty confident it's the kickstand switch...Next time it happens, try slamming the kickstand up/down once or twice..

If that's not it, then I don't know what else to tell you...

good luck and keep us posted..
Okay, good to know -- solenoid symptoms. Yeah, slamming the sidestand up is part of the dance. I guess I should short those wires to confirm or eliminate that as the problem. The thing is, it always starts right up when I first start it when leaving house or work. Stay tuned ...
__________________
'08 Versys & '08 450 EXC-R / '11 G650GS & '06 KLX250S (wife's)
Portland Area Off Pavement Rides ~ Hood River Rides ~ Vancouver Island Trip
matloik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #183
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,177
battery removed itself from bike

I dropped my xCountry yesterday on a rocky trail and my right BarkBuster took the impact hard and got bent. I would have been quite pleased to remove the BarkBuster and continue my ride except there was rather serious problem with my bike. The BATTERY FLEW THROUGH THE SIDE PANEL and was hanging by the positive cable. I pushed the battery back into position and rode home using my knee to keep the side panel in place. Is this a flaw with all the G650s or is it associated with the new battery the dealer put in last week because of the recall.

Anyone else experience this?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #184
matloik
kludge
 
matloik's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: PDX | Hood River
Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
I dropped my xCountry yesterday on a rocky trail and my right BarkBuster took the impact hard and got bent. I would have been quite pleased to remove the BarkBuster and continue my ride except there was rather serious problem with my bike. The BATTERY FLEW THROUGH THE SIDE PANEL and was hanging by the positive cable. I pushed the battery back into position and rode home using my knee to keep the side panel in place. Is this a flaw with all the G650s or is it associated with the new battery the dealer put in last week because of the recall.

Anyone else experience this?
Did your dealer perchance neglect to strap the battery in?
__________________
'08 Versys & '08 450 EXC-R / '11 G650GS & '06 KLX250S (wife's)
Portland Area Off Pavement Rides ~ Hood River Rides ~ Vancouver Island Trip
matloik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #185
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik
Did your dealer perchance neglect to strap the battery in?
No, the strap is there but it is obviously loose. It may have been installed improperly though because it clearly was not up for it's assigned task.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #186
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,064
On a ride yesterday, I did several deep water crossings through some swift water. Keeping the speed up, I soaked the bike pretty good. After the 4th crosssing, my XChallenge would turn over but not keep running at idle. If I hit the starter and gave it a little gas, it would run. It also started backfiring if I would engine brake.

What did I get wet that I shouldn't have? Any ideas on preventing this?
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #187
matloik
kludge
 
matloik's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: PDX | Hood River
Oddometer: 1,226
Check your sidestand switch

In the process of trying to diagnose my starting problem (see recent previous posts in this thread) I pulled my sidestand switch (SSS) off to clean and inspect. In the process I figured out how you can tell if your SSS is operating correctly. Here's what I know and have found out:

Your bike will not start if it is in gear and the sidestand is down. It will attempt to turn over but won't catch. That there is a brilliant design as it leads you to start thinking about all kinds of other issues like fuel starvation. Why could it not operate like the kill switch?

Check out your SSS:

- Stand next to your bike, on the sidestand side, holding the bike upright but with the sidestand down.
- Bike in gear. Clutch disengaged (lever pulled in).
- Turn key to 'on' position. Wait couple seconds ...
- Put yer ear to listen to your seat. Actually you will be listening to the electronics under it.
- Reach down with your right hand and swing the sidestand up. Don't let it thwak up or you might not hear what you're listening to.
- As the sidestand goes up, and the SSS closes, you will hear system electronics turn on. The system enables and you would be able to start your bike.
- You will also notice that the oil light flickers for a second when the system enables in this manner.

Go ahead, give it a try. I was sufficiently amuzed to spend a couple of minutes playing with, feeling like I'd figured out something profound. Then I had to stop playing so I could go tell my Xc adv compatriots.

- Now try this same procedure by pulling it up into Neutral instead of lifting up the sidestand. Same thing happens -- system is enabled. Amazing!

Now I know what you're thinking -- "Why do I still have start problems even when I have it in Neutral?" Well, I don't know. However, while playing around with this just now, I did observe it momentarily exhibit the no-start behavior while in N. Perhaps there is some subtle connection or inter-relationship between the Neutral sensor and the SSS. Note also that if you are on your bike, turn the key on (wait til those 'on' systems fully start up), in gear, kick up sidestand, and immediately push the start button -- you may not have waited that one second or so to allow for systems up. Yeah, yeah, a bunch of conjecture here ...

So, is my start problem fixed now that I polished up my SSS? I don't know, didn't go for a ride yet. But if and when I have start issues, I will at least know how to determine if it is being caused by my SSS. And I won't even have to endure odd looks from others at the gas station by having my ear to my seat, as I know to look for that oil light flicker. Over and out.
__________________
'08 Versys & '08 450 EXC-R / '11 G650GS & '06 KLX250S (wife's)
Portland Area Off Pavement Rides ~ Hood River Rides ~ Vancouver Island Trip
matloik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #188
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
On a ride yesterday, I did several deep water crossings through some swift water. Keeping the speed up, I soaked the bike pretty good. After the 4th crosssing, my XChallenge would turn over but not keep running at idle. If I hit the starter and gave it a little gas, it would run. It also started backfiring if I would engine brake.

What did I get wet that I shouldn't have? Any ideas on preventing this?
Could be lots of things that got wet more than it could handle, I don't have a good guess what specifically failed for you.

As far as preventing this, there are some things you can do, clean and treat connections that are exposed to make them less likely to have water intrusion that interferes with the contact - lots of products out there, different people have their favorites, I'm agnostic as far as brands, I just look at the connection and try to decide what kind of protectant or water displacement type might work best and then wander to the store and see what they have on the shelf.

I know a lot of people removed their cover for their airbox, while I don't know if you actually got any water into the airbox based on your description, leaving that cover on gives a more difficult path for the water to take to get in to you intake in splash type situations, that may be something to undo/redo if you took off and you plan to play in deep water regularly.

Sadly there are quite a few write-ups earlier in this thread that have similar symptoms, it could be that the water exposure induced whatever problem is plaguing several of the members here. For me, replacing the voltage regulator seemed to eliminate my stalling at idle problems. Other folks have found loose/crappy connections up under the headlight/ignition that seemed to need attention. Still others have pointed to the side stand switch, the fuel line under the seat, the battery that has been recalled, etc...

Good luck, hopefully it was just something transient that got too big a dose of water in your case and has since gone back to normal.

Somber screwed with this post 02-13-2010 at 04:40 PM
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #189
jack splash
Two Sheds
 
jack splash's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pt Pleasant, NJ USA
Oddometer: 2,214
Something to watch for.

Hey: While doing maintenance I found a possible electric issue. The side panel mount on th rear of the Air Box was rubbing the electric harness and would lead to a short circut or cut wire.









I wrapped the worn wires in electric tape and added a small piece of rubber hose to keep the harness from touching the air box.




I'm not sure if this will happen on other machines, I added wires for another headlight and changed the battery, so maybe something moved then. But check yours.

Jack
__________________
Stay dirty my friends!
Bigfoot has a picture of me!

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #190
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash
Hey: While doing maintenance I found a possible electric issue. The side panel mount on th rear of the Air Box was rubbing the electric harness and would lead to a short circut or cut wire.

I wrapped the worn wires in electric tape and added a small piece of rubber hose to keep the harness from touching the air box.

I'm not sure if this will happen on other machines, I added wires for another headlight and changed the battery, so maybe something moved then. But check yours.

Jack
Jack, thanks for that nice catch! I just checked my bike and I have some rubbing there too. Not as bad as yours, but I'm gonna follow your lead and put a little piece of heater hose in there as a buffer.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #191
Roof of Africa
Adventurer
 
Roof of Africa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lesotho, Country of no fences
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
Jack, thanks for that nice catch! I just checked my bike and I have some rubbing there too. Not as bad as yours, but I'm gonna follow your lead and put a little piece of heater hose in there as a buffer.
Checked mine, same story, did you guys have a zip tie around it?; I am not sure it would not be better without it!. Any way, I cut the zip tie off, put in a bit of hard plastic and then re-zip-tied it. Thanks for the tip!!
Roof of Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #192
motojc
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 32
Here's my list of my 07 xMoto bought at the end of 08. I did not realize it's this long:), but the bottom line is, it's mostly fixed and run like a dream now and I'm very happen with it (and even through the troubles). I'm very impressed with BMW's recent recall of the clutch design after the bike has been on the market for 2.5 years.

Model
: xMoto
Year: 2007
ABS: Yes
Mileage total: 24K miles
Modifications (if any): No

Description of Failure(s): Won't idle at times when I first got the bike, feels like fueling issue
Resolution (if any): Usually turn the key off and on, opening the gas cap would fix it as it often seems to go away after a gas fill up or a stop. This must have happened the first 6K, cause after service it just went away, all good now.


Description of Failure(s): Rusted ABS reservoir holder broken off at 12K
Resolution (if any): Changed the front frame (since it's welded onto it) under warranty. a 800$ fix for a 5$ problem.


Description of Failure(s): Clutch action would sometimes trigger horn (yup!), fan won't stop (dealer found this in 18K service
Resolution (if any): New wiring harness for the entire bike under warranty.


Description of Failure(s): Coolant leak
Resolution (if any): Changed a hose under warranty.


Description of Failure(s): Bike won't restart during a stop along the ride, like a gas stop. but will start after a few hours wait.
Resolution (if any): Changed battery under warranty right before the recall came out.


Description of Failure(s): Clutch won't fully disengage, it's really hard to try to push the bike. It was like that for 18K miles
Resolution (if any): They recalled the whole clutch assembly and the clutch cover with new designs. Runs like a dream now.


Description of Failure(s): Leaking display (goes blank when riding rain maybe twice)
Resolution (if any): Waiting for it to happen again so I can take pictures.


Other complains and facts: the valves only needed adjustments at 24K miles service. the original rear sprocket wears out most severely at 12K, tooth worn so thin they fell off and no after market replacement. The rear tire wears out very fast (I do long daily highway commute on it), 12K miles. Rear brake pads changed at 24K miles.


Added:

Description of Failure(s): Horn won't work sometimes
Resolution (if any): Replaced one under warranty. but the new one missed a few beats again the other day. I ride through the rain all the time and leave the bike wet too, so maybe the horn is just not tough enough...

motojc screwed with this post 03-22-2010 at 07:20 PM
motojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #193
derder
Adventurer
 
derder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Oddometer: 56
Eh?

Description of Failure: 09 XCountry, pulled taillight/rear fender assembly apart last night and found that the three wires for the taillight had been pinched during assembly. Penetrated the plastic sleeve the wires are in, and one wire completely through the insulation, breaking about half the strands of the wire. The other two wires were flat as a pancake, (or maybe even a crepe!) and copper strands were visible.

Resolution: Soldered broken wire, shrink tubed each of the three then shrink tubed the three together. Slightly rerouted the wires to prevent recurrance.

Stuff happens, but somehow I expected better from Beemer.
__________________
Happy riding,
Kirk
derder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #194
MTBiker78
ENDURO Wanabee
 
MTBiker78's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Poland
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojc
Description of Failure(s): Clutch won't fully disengage, it's really hard to try to push the bike. It was like that for 18K miles
Resolution (if any): They recalled the whole clutch assembly and the clutch cover with new designs. Runs like a dream now.
Was it official recall (changed design) for all G650X series bikes, or it was just repaired on waranty?
__________________
Regards
Lucas

----------------
I have a new challange ..... X-Challenge ....

www.vimeo.com/mtbiker
http://picasaweb.google.com/lukasz.lechowicz/XChallenge
MTBiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #195
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somber
Could be lots of things that got wet more than it could handle, I don't have a good guess what specifically failed for you.

As far as preventing this, there are some things you can do, clean and treat connections that are exposed to make them less likely to have water intrusion that interferes with the contact - lots of products out there, different people have their favorites, I'm agnostic as far as brands, I just look at the connection and try to decide what kind of protectant or water displacement type might work best and then wander to the store and see what they have on the shelf.

I know a lot of people removed their cover for their airbox, while I don't know if you actually got any water into the airbox based on your description, leaving that cover on gives a more difficult path for the water to take to get in to you intake in splash type situations, that may be something to undo/redo if you took off and you plan to play in deep water regularly.

Sadly there are quite a few write-ups earlier in this thread that have similar symptoms, it could be that the water exposure induced whatever problem is plaguing several of the members here. For me, replacing the voltage regulator seemed to eliminate my stalling at idle problems. Other folks have found loose/crappy connections up under the headlight/ignition that seemed to need attention. Still others have pointed to the side stand switch, the fuel line under the seat, the battery that has been recalled, etc...

Good luck, hopefully it was just something transient that got too big a dose of water in your case and has since gone back to normal.

What ever it was, I ended up taking it in to BMW for the speedometer sensor failure and the neutral sensor failure. BMW replaced those items and the computer. It ran like a champ in Death Valley this weekend.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014