ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #211
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,122
Muck,

You have a defective dealer. I've lost two batteries and both have been replaced. In neither was the cause of the failure obvious. One time I was in the middle of a 3.000 km trip, stopped for fuel and the bike wouldn't start - no battery. Battery wouldn't accept a charge. The battery itself is subject to a specific recall too.

If you're narrative is accurate here, then your dealer is more then poor. He deserves to lose his franchise.

I would suggest a call to wherever your BMW central is. If it were me, come Monday, I'd be on the phone with BMW NA bypassing the dealer completely. I don't know if BMW NA covers Canada, though.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #212
Dominus
WSMC#931
 
Dominus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Nipomo, CA
Oddometer: 55
choke choke

Model: xCountry
Year:2007
ABS:yes
Mileage at time of issue:14500
Date of occurrence:5/19/10
Modifications (if any):Excel supermoto wheels
Description of Failure(s):
1) Upon acceleration onto freeway, bike stalled (about 50mph)
2) I noticed immediately that all the dash lights were on, similar to when turning the ignition on with the key
3) I immediately pulled the clutch in to allow myself to coast to the side of the road in a somewhat controlled manner.
4) I tried slowly letting the clutch out (bike in gear still) when I was at about 20mph and the bike compression started itself
5) I kept the bike at about 20 mph on the side of the road to try to get to the next offramp so I wouldn't get run over
6) I gave the bike gas to try to speed up and when revs came up, the same scenario happened...twice, until I was able to get off the freeway and make it back home on surface roads with no stalls.

Resolution (if any):none yet
Reference Thread:n/a

Pouring through this thread, I think my battery is still good, as it was replaced under warranty some time ago with a Yuasa (spelling) battery, but I haven't ruled out that entirely just yet. (I never noticed voltage dip below 12.9V, but then again that was after I got it running that I toggled it to display the volts, so it may or may not have been low at the time of the first stalling, but I wasn't able to catch it).

My best uneducated guess is that perhaps my exhaust cat is rattling about at high revs and blocking the exhaust causing it to stall. I will take a picture of the exhaust header when I get home to see if it compares with anyone else's discoloration. (there has been a funny ping coming from the can for quite some time but I never paid much mind to it, it could mean something or nothing). I'll take the can off and see if I can't deduce anything from it.

In the meantime, I'm going to take a cursory look at the wiring to see if I can find any blatant shorts or any junk like that. This is the only issue I've really ever had with the bike since I bought it in 07. I ride it offroad (mild fire roads, nothing too extreme) so it's seen it's fair share of bumps and rattles and such. I absolutely love the bike and I'm eager to get it back to riding condition as I'm not confident in it at the moment...I don't want to get bulldozed on the freeway if it stalls, that's no good. So I welcome any and all advice, and I'll also see what I can come up with myself and keep you all up to date.
__________________
Seemed like a good idea at the time...
Dominus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #213
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine
 
plumber mike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Right here, right now
Oddometer: 2,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus
Model: xCountry
Year:2007
ABS:yes
Mileage at time of issue:14500
Date of occurrence:5/19/10
Modifications (if any):Excel supermoto wheels
Description of Failure(s):
1) Upon acceleration onto freeway, bike stalled (about 50mph)
2) I noticed immediately that all the dash lights were on, similar to when turning the ignition on with the key
3) I immediately pulled the clutch in to allow myself to coast to the side of the road in a somewhat controlled manner.
4) I tried slowly letting the clutch out (bike in gear still) when I was at about 20mph and the bike compression started itself
5) I kept the bike at about 20 mph on the side of the road to try to get to the next offramp so I wouldn't get run over
6) I gave the bike gas to try to speed up and when revs came up, the same scenario happened...twice, until I was able to get off the freeway and make it back home on surface roads with no stalls.

Resolution (if any):none yet
Reference Thread:n/a

Pouring through this thread, I think my battery is still good, as it was replaced under warranty some time ago with a Yuasa (spelling) battery, but I haven't ruled out that entirely just yet. (I never noticed voltage dip below 12.9V, but then again that was after I got it running that I toggled it to display the volts, so it may or may not have been low at the time of the first stalling, but I wasn't able to catch it).

My best uneducated guess is that perhaps my exhaust cat is rattling about at high revs and blocking the exhaust causing it to stall. I will take a picture of the exhaust header when I get home to see if it compares with anyone else's discoloration. (there has been a funny ping coming from the can for quite some time but I never paid much mind to it, it could mean something or nothing). I'll take the can off and see if I can't deduce anything from it.

In the meantime, I'm going to take a cursory look at the wiring to see if I can find any blatant shorts or any junk like that. This is the only issue I've really ever had with the bike since I bought it in 07. I ride it offroad (mild fire roads, nothing too extreme) so it's seen it's fair share of bumps and rattles and such. I absolutely love the bike and I'm eager to get it back to riding condition as I'm not confident in it at the moment...I don't want to get bulldozed on the freeway if it stalls, that's no good. So I welcome any and all advice, and I'll also see what I can come up with myself and keep you all up to date.
I had this same problem at about 1500 miles.The dealer told me I probably got bad gas I can't say that the exhaust clogging(not the cat, but some type of "lead shot" material in the rear of the exhaust) was the problem, but it discolored my head pipe in a hurry(blue tint) It wouldn't clog all the time. I hogged out the back of the pipe to fix it temporarily until I replaced my exhaust(Honda RC51 can works great)
Around the same time my sidestand switch was acting funny. It would cause the bike to "cut out" when I would hit a bump. I'd hit several rocks with it and thought it best to remove it. I connected the three wires together and voila!
I cannot say for certian that either of these things is your problem, but my bike has been trouble free since these modifications for 4500 miles.

I hope this helps.

Mike
__________________
2002 Yamaha PW80 don't break it dad!
1996 Honda XR250R just right.
plumber mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #214
Dominus
WSMC#931
 
Dominus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Nipomo, CA
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus
Model: xCountry
Year:2007
ABS:yes
Mileage at time of issue:14500
Date of occurrence:5/19/10
Modifications (if any):Excel supermoto wheels
Description of Failure(s):
1) Upon acceleration onto freeway, bike stalled (about 50mph)
2) I noticed immediately that all the dash lights were on, similar to when turning the ignition on with the key
3) I immediately pulled the clutch in to allow myself to coast to the side of the road in a somewhat controlled manner.
4) I tried slowly letting the clutch out (bike in gear still) when I was at about 20mph and the bike compression started itself
5) I kept the bike at about 20 mph on the side of the road to try to get to the next offramp so I wouldn't get run over
6) I gave the bike gas to try to speed up and when revs came up, the same scenario happened...twice, until I was able to get off the freeway and make it back home on surface roads with no stalls.

Resolution (if any):none yet
Reference Thread:n/a

Pouring through this thread, I think my battery is still good, as it was replaced under warranty some time ago with a Yuasa (spelling) battery, but I haven't ruled out that entirely just yet. (I never noticed voltage dip below 12.9V, but then again that was after I got it running that I toggled it to display the volts, so it may or may not have been low at the time of the first stalling, but I wasn't able to catch it).

My best uneducated guess is that perhaps my exhaust cat is rattling about at high revs and blocking the exhaust causing it to stall. I will take a picture of the exhaust header when I get home to see if it compares with anyone else's discoloration. (there has been a funny ping coming from the can for quite some time but I never paid much mind to it, it could mean something or nothing). I'll take the can off and see if I can't deduce anything from it.

In the meantime, I'm going to take a cursory look at the wiring to see if I can find any blatant shorts or any junk like that. This is the only issue I've really ever had with the bike since I bought it in 07. I ride it offroad (mild fire roads, nothing too extreme) so it's seen it's fair share of bumps and rattles and such. I absolutely love the bike and I'm eager to get it back to riding condition as I'm not confident in it at the moment...I don't want to get bulldozed on the freeway if it stalls, that's no good. So I welcome any and all advice, and I'll also see what I can come up with myself and keep you all up to date.

Resolution update:

Ok, so after Plumber Mike suggested it may have been bad gas, I decided to throw in some new gas just for the heck of it in hopes of an easy fix. To my surprise, I couldn't open the gas tank cap...it was suctioned on beyond belief.

Now how could this have happened...I had rerouted the hose years ago and I had removed the charcoal evap canister as well as any good G650 owner should have...I popped the tubing off the gas tank vent only to find it repressurize itself like a drowning man gasping for air. I traced the vent line back and found that the plastic coupling I had used to connect the smaller vent line from the tank to the longer one that routes to the bottom of the bike had melted shut and was completely obstructing flow.

Note to self...should have used a brass fitting. I have since replaced the melted plastic one with a brass one and the bike runs perfectly again. I chalk this one up to user error and no fault of the bike itself.
Doh!
__________________
Seemed like a good idea at the time...
Dominus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #215
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 113
XCountry loss of performance over 60mph

Model: (xCountry)
Year: 2009
ABS: no
Mileage at time of issue: 8,000 (approx)
Date of occurrence: April 10 (approx)
Modifications (if any): headlight, nothing mechanical
Description of Failure(s): loss of power in upper register in 4th, all of 5th gear
Resolution (if any): none

My last post was at 1900 miles and now I'm just over 9000.

I have been enjoying this bike immensely up until a month or so ago. It had been running very well. I had changed the oil myself at 6k miles with Mobile 1 Synthetic with no change in performance. The trouble began after I parked it for an hour outside a restaurant and hung out with friends. When I drove home that night, the bike was never the same again.

The bike sounded different overall. It popped a little louder. Sounded like there was maybe some air suction somewhere. First three gears were fine wrt power. In fourth, the power didn't stay consistent through the upper register (60+). When it close in on 60 it flattened out, and 5th gear was a step back from 4th in terms of power. I was able to achieve the same or higher speeds in 4th as 5th. As a point of comparison, before this problem cropped up, I remember distinctly having this bike easily to 80mph in 5th gear with the throttle only half way down, feeling like it had a decent amount more power waiting to be released. It was responsive to throttle above 60 in both 4th and 5th that is.

So, I took the case off and examined the air filter and vents and they seemed fine. Cleaned out the air filter a little. What I did find was that a clip / sensor on the left side of the bike had come off completely. It connected up to a cylindrical component that lead to the air filter I think (not sure). I figured that had to be it. Well, partly.

Performance in the upper register of 4th improved considerably. However, 5th is still dogging it. I am getting at most, and with the throttle ALL THE WAY DOWN in 5th, another 10mph over 4th. Down a gentle slope in 5th with the throttle all the way down I am MAXING OUT at 75mph. Up the same gentle slope I am maxed out at 65! Which is the same as I can get in 4th.

I've run out of things to try. As with another recent post here, The BMW dealer mentioned the gas quality. So, I filled up with a brand name gas and that did nothing. I'd been using premium off-brand gases for a while without issue anyway (Smith's for instance). BMW put a fuel additive in which changed nothing.

They are going to have another look at the bike at the end of the summer.

In the mean time, I have only 3/4 of the bike I purchased, and would never have bought it if the max speed was only 75, since the highways near here have a speed limit of 75, and I like the option of having somewhere to go from there when needed.

Any thoughts on what I should check or try to remedy the situation?

[ I've also noticed the chain rattling at certain speeds / throttle positions. Maybe this was always the case and am just now noticing it. I don't know if it's caused by the engine vibrating at certain speeds or if it's the wind blowing against it. Just throwing that out there in case it adds to the picture. Chain tension is to spec ].

Oh yeah... Also have noticed it runs hotter than normal (fan comes on often) and fuel efficiency has degraded from 60-65mpg to 50ish mpg.

Thanks.

Paul G

paul_g screwed with this post 06-16-2010 at 10:30 PM
paul_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #216
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Oddometer: 350
I always try to start with the simplest explanations first...

first thing that sprung to mind is maybe somehow the throttle isn't opening as fully as it did in the past - possibly something with the cable, or something that got in the way of the linkage - I know you don't have a Tach to be sure, but does it sound like you are truly rev'd out to the max - it's something I rarely do except to run 85ish on the highway because the bike is making the most of it's power band long before I wind it out, so I usually only do it to hold a higher max speed...

the only other non-tricksy thing I can think of that fits your description is increased loss in the drive train, the bike doesn't have tons of extra oomph going from 75-80 (at least not with my fat butt on it catching all that wind), so a partially dragging break, or something messed up in the axle bearings or something could account for the bike losing the acceleration fight earlier than before... for this I would think you'd have some other sign - stuff getting nuclear hot, stuff stinking, stuff making noise, etc - so I don't think this is very likely...

certainly EFI issues, a sensor coming unplugged or intermittently losing connection, partially clogged injector that is keeping up at everything but the heaviest duty cycle loads, or a myriad of other things could be at play, but one would hope something like that would flag the diagnostic equipment at the dealer.

So - I would check the throttle cable and linkage, make sure it is moving freely with everything turned off and quiet, get so you can watch the linkage move through it's full throw while you cycle it... Next I'd get all the plastics off and look for any chafed wiring harnesses (the big harness running on the right side of the bike is giving people problems rubbing against the fairing/airbox cover on some people's bikes to the point that the protective wrap has been munched through for some), check every connector you can find, make sure nothing else is disturbed, hanging loose, partially engaged, etc... you already dropped in some injector cleaner - or the dealer did, but another bottle isn't likely to hurt... follow the fuel lines you can spot around (including up in the area of the seat, some people have had a line get where the seat can mash it), make sure they aren't getting partially kinked, squashed, etc...

I don't particularly think some of those things fit your symptoms, but if you are going to pull the plastics and seat off and poke around you might as well keep an eye open for everything...

hope this isn't all a waste of time, and one way or another you get it fixed soon... you aren't misremembering - you are right that this isn't normal, 5th on my X-Co with stock sprockets will hold 90 going up a slight hill, not tucked, and I'm a big wind block with too much weight to drag around
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #217
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine
 
plumber mike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Right here, right now
Oddometer: 2,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g
Model: (xCountry)
Year: 2009
ABS: no
Mileage at time of issue: 8,000 (approx)
Date of occurrence: April 10 (approx)
Modifications (if any): headlight, nothing mechanical
Description of Failure(s): loss of power in upper register in 4th, all of 5th gear
Resolution (if any): none

My last post was at 1900 miles and now I'm just over 9000.

I have been enjoying this bike immensely up until a month or so ago. It had been running very well. I had changed the oil myself at 6k miles with Mobile 1 Synthetic with no change in performance. The trouble began after I parked it for an hour outside a restaurant and hung out with friends. When I drove home that night, the bike was never the same again.

The bike sounded different overall. It popped a little louder. Sounded like there was maybe some air suction somewhere. First three gears were fine wrt power. In fourth, the power didn't stay consistent through the upper register (60+). When it close in on 60 it flattened out, and 5th gear was a step back from 4th in terms of power. I was able to achieve the same or higher speeds in 4th as 5th. As a point of comparison, before this problem cropped up, I remember distinctly having this bike easily to 80mph in 5th gear with the throttle only half way down, feeling like it had a decent amount more power waiting to be released. It was responsive to throttle above 60 in both 4th and 5th that is.

So, I took the case off and examined the air filter and vents and they seemed fine. Cleaned out the air filter a little. What I did find was that a clip / sensor on the left side of the bike had come off completely. It connected up to a cylindrical component that lead to the air filter I think (not sure). I figured that had to be it. Well, partly.

Performance in the upper register of 4th improved considerably. However, 5th is still dogging it. I am getting at most, and with the throttle ALL THE WAY DOWN in 5th, another 10mph over 4th. Down a gentle slope in 5th with the throttle all the way down I am MAXING OUT at 75mph. Up the same gentle slope I am maxed out at 65! Which is the same as I can get in 4th.

I've run out of things to try. As with another recent post here, The BMW dealer mentioned the gas quality (yeah right). He didn't even know the bike manual suggested premium gas. So, I filled up with a brand name gas and that did nothing. I'd been using premium off-brand gases for a while without issue anyway (Smith's for instance). BMW put a fuel additive in which changed nothing.

They are going to have another look at the bike at the end of the summer.

In the mean time, I have only 3/4 of the bike I purchased, and would never have bought it if the max speed was only 75, since the highways near here have a speed limit of 75, and I like the option of having somewhere to go from there when needed.

Any thoughts on what I should check or try to remedy the situation?

[ I've also noticed the chain rattling at certain speeds / throttle positions. Maybe this was always the case and am just now noticing it. I don't know if it's caused by the engine vibrating at certain speeds or if it's the wind blowing against it. Just throwing that out there in case it adds to the picture. Chain tension is to spec ].

Oh yeah... Also have noticed it runs hotter than normal (fan comes on often) and fuel efficiency has degraded from 60-65mpg to 50ish mpg.

Thanks.

Paul G
That sounds like a plugged stock exhaust that I expierienced. Check for a blued, discolored pipe. This also would explain excessive heat at the motor.
__________________
2002 Yamaha PW80 don't break it dad!
1996 Honda XR250R just right.
plumber mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #218
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 113
Thanks Somber.

All good thoughts.

After considering your comments, I think it is likely something involved with the fuel, either that it's getting blocked off, or flooding, or the engine is not getting the right oxygen mix. Sometimes there is a DROP in acceleration in 5th with an INCREASE in throttle. (I used to get the same thing with my truck due to a faulty fuel pump or dirty lines / filters.) Could also be a pinched line, as you suggest. I will have a close look at that next time I have the plastic off.

I would say that while my throttle is ALL the way down in 5th, the engine is DEFINITELY NOT at max RPM for 5th. In fact it is struggling to leave the lower RPM's in 5th and can't, so unless I'm on a level plane or going downhill, it gives up and sometimes backs down or just maintains what 4th left it with. I can wind out the engine to the upper end of 4th without much issue, which leaves me usually at around 65-70. But it stays in the lower rpm range of 5th. I find this odd. While it seems like a fuel problem, why would a fuel problem only kick in during a specific gear? Maybe it is a specific rate of flow that just happens to correspond with the top and bottom of 4th and 5th.

I have a slight, very slight friction on the front brake, which BMW tells me is normal. Since the front brake is literally being held against the rotor. I figure if that were an issue it would be having an affect long before I reached 5th.

Sometimes I suspect the bike is running hotter than usual, but then again this is the first time I'm riding it in June. But the temps haven't quite reached the 80's here yet. I'd think it can handle that without issue. The fan comes on very often and the tail pipe gets quite hot. I am wondering how it will handle 90's.

The only sounds I'm hearing that MIGHT be new is a kind of air suction sound and an irregular metallic sound of the chain at certain speeds / rpm. I can't recall whether I've always heard them. The air sound is noticeable more or less above 25/30mph. The chain sound starts right around the speed range I'm having power issues, not that there's a connection. The chain is well lubed and the tension is to spec. Do you hear your chain making any sound at 60mph+ ? Or when it's windy?

Thanks for the comments and ideas.

I'll reply back with any discoveries / improvements.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Somber
I always try to start with the simplest explanations first...

first thing that sprung to mind is maybe somehow the throttle isn't opening as fully as it did in the past - possibly something with the cable, or something that got in the way of the linkage - I know you don't have a Tach to be sure, but does it sound like you are truly rev'd out to the max - it's something I rarely do except to run 85ish on the highway because the bike is making the most of it's power band long before I wind it out, so I usually only do it to hold a higher max speed...

the only other non-tricksy thing I can think of that fits your description is increased loss in the drive train, the bike doesn't have tons of extra oomph going from 75-80 (at least not with my fat butt on it catching all that wind), so a partially dragging break, or something messed up in the axle bearings or something could account for the bike losing the acceleration fight earlier than before... for this I would think you'd have some other sign - stuff getting nuclear hot, stuff stinking, stuff making noise, etc - so I don't think this is very likely...

certainly EFI issues, a sensor coming unplugged or intermittently losing connection, partially clogged injector that is keeping up at everything but the heaviest duty cycle loads, or a myriad of other things could be at play, but one would hope something like that would flag the diagnostic equipment at the dealer.

So - I would check the throttle cable and linkage, make sure it is moving freely with everything turned off and quiet, get so you can watch the linkage move through it's full throw while you cycle it... Next I'd get all the plastics off and look for any chafed wiring harnesses (the big harness running on the right side of the bike is giving people problems rubbing against the fairing/airbox cover on some people's bikes to the point that the protective wrap has been munched through for some), check every connector you can find, make sure nothing else is disturbed, hanging loose, partially engaged, etc... you already dropped in some injector cleaner - or the dealer did, but another bottle isn't likely to hurt... follow the fuel lines you can spot around (including up in the area of the seat, some people have had a line get where the seat can mash it), make sure they aren't getting partially kinked, squashed, etc...

I don't particularly think some of those things fit your symptoms, but if you are going to pull the plastics and seat off and poke around you might as well keep an eye open for everything...

hope this isn't all a waste of time, and one way or another you get it fixed soon... you aren't misremembering - you are right that this isn't normal, 5th on my X-Co with stock sprockets will hold 90 going up a slight hill, not tucked, and I'm a big wind block with too much weight to drag around
paul_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #219
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 113
Thanks for the comment.

If you are referring to the region where the pipe wraps around to the left and behind the small guard where the oxygen sensor is connected to the pipe, then I would say it definitely has a blue tinge to it in that exact location. It's not glaring blue, but compared to every other part of the pipe, there is no doubt some bluish tone.

I lifted the plastic air manifold and found no blockages, no wire chaffing under the cover or seat. When rocking the throttle, it is rotating the carb damper completely from closed to wide open.

Only thing that seemed like a possible issue was a tube hanging down near the oxygen sensor. It has a mushroom-shaped stopper in it that was about 1/4 inch out of flush with the end of the tube. I don't know what's normal there. I fitted it more snugly to the end of the tube.

My tailpipe has a minor indentation in it from a low-speed drop, but I don't see how that would cause a major blockage issue, or could it?

What would cause a plugged exhaust, and how would one go about finding what's blocking it and clearing it out, if that is in fact my problem?

Thanks for adding your thoughts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
That sounds like a plugged stock exhaust that I expierienced. Check for a blued, discolored pipe. This also would explain excessive heat at the motor.
paul_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #220
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine
 
plumber mike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Right here, right now
Oddometer: 2,828
The packing or sound deadening material seems to be made out of a product similar to lead shot. My theory is that hard riding or a few low speed left side "get offs" knock the stuff around so that sometimes it blocks the exhaust air and sometimes not. My dealer confirmed the blockage when I was unable to reach highway speeds. I replaced the pipe with a non BMW part and all is well 4500 miles later. I don't know as there was really any way to prove this other than with a temperature gun. I was able to feel the exhaust gases coming out of the pipe(or lack thereof)

Good luck!

Mike
__________________
2002 Yamaha PW80 don't break it dad!
1996 Honda XR250R just right.
plumber mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #221
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 113
Very interesting. Thank you. That does sound a lot like my problem.

Would you share with me what manufacturer/part you replaced it with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
The packing or sound deadening material seems to be made out of a product similar to lead shot. My theory is that hard riding or a few low speed left side "get offs" knock the stuff around so that sometimes it blocks the exhaust air and sometimes not. My dealer confirmed the blockage when I was unable to reach highway speeds. I replaced the pipe with a non BMW part and all is well 4500 miles later. I don't know as there was really any way to prove this other than with a temperature gun. I was able to feel the exhaust gases coming out of the pipe(or lack thereof)

Good luck!

Mike
paul_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #222
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine
 
plumber mike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Right here, right now
Oddometer: 2,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g
Very interesting. Thank you. That does sound a lot like my problem.

Would you share with me what manufacturer/part you replaced it with?
I used a used Honda RC51 exhaust that I had tig welded at a shop to fit on the Xcountry.The Idea came from an inmate who fitted one to an Xchallenge. Any aftermarket exhaust made for the bike should do the trick. Leo Vince, Staintune, Remus, Akropovic, Scorpion .....
__________________
2002 Yamaha PW80 don't break it dad!
1996 Honda XR250R just right.
plumber mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #223
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 113
awesome. thanks for the list of manufacturers.

that may end up coming in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
I used a used Honda RC51 exhaust that I had tig welded at a shop to fit on the Xcountry.The Idea came from an inmate who fitted one to an Xchallenge. Any aftermarket exhaust made for the bike should do the trick. Leo Vince, Staintune, Remus, Akropovic, Scorpion .....
paul_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #224
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 113
Plumber Mike,

One thing that isn't quite clear:

Was your blockage in the tail pipe or in the area of the pipe where it turned bluish?

Did you replace the entire exhaust pipe from the engine back or just the tail pipe?

Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
I used a used Honda RC51 exhaust that I had tig welded at a shop to fit on the Xcountry.The Idea came from an inmate who fitted one to an Xchallenge. Any aftermarket exhaust made for the bike should do the trick. Leo Vince, Staintune, Remus, Akropovic, Scorpion .....
paul_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #225
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine
 
plumber mike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Right here, right now
Oddometer: 2,828
It plugs in the muffler section behind the cat. I left the stock header in place. Andrew Gore and Janet from joisey have had the same problem as well. They both installed Akra cans that there dealer helped them finance. My dealer offered a stock replacement or nothing

Isn't this covered under warranty?
__________________
2002 Yamaha PW80 don't break it dad!
1996 Honda XR250R just right.
plumber mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014