motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Model: xChallenge

Year: 2007

ABS: Yes

Mileage at time of issue: 6100 km

Date of occurrence: June 10, 2010

Modifications (if any): Lots by PO, including heated grips, TT fueltank, TT fairing, lots of TT stuff...

Description of Failure(s): Just bought this bike used, having this issue: when I hit the start button, it starts, but then immediately (after 1-2 seconds) stalls; will finally keep running after several starts, but then will stall whenever I stop or slow down until it warms up. Even once warmed up, it idles rather rough.

Resolution (if any): None yet, although I have looked at this and other threads and plan to check the throttle body, voltage regulator, and idle actuator.

UPDATE: June 30, 2010. Replaced the battery late last week, and for a few days the problem went away; it started right up, did not stall, and idled better. The last couple of days, however, these problems seemed to have returned. Back to the drawing board I guess...

motoreiter screwed with this post 06-30-2010 at 09:16 AM
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #227
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter

Mileage at time of issue: 6100 km

Date of occurrence: June 10, 2010

Modifications (if any): Lots by PO, including heated grips, TT fueltank, TT fairing, lots of TT stuff...

Description of Failure(s): Just bought this bike used, having this issue: when I hit the start button, it starts, but then immediately (after 1-2 seconds) stalls; will finally keep running after several starts, but then will stall whenever I stop or slow down until it warms up. Even once warmed up, it idles rather rough.

Resolution (if any): None yet, although I have looked at this and other threads and plan to check the throttle body, voltage regulator, and idle actuator.
I've had similar problems the entire 3 months I've had my used '07 XCo. Only when engine was cold but any air temperature, the first stop sign from my driveway when pulling in the clutch it would stall. Then after 10 minutes of riding it would never stall again when trying to idle.
I took it in to the dealer for it's last check under warranty. They put new firmware into the ECU but that did not fix it. They suspected the poor gas additives used here at 5000 feet in the winter to control emissions (wrong).

Then they found the problem: It was a jammed up stepper motor pivoting area in the idle actuator (that controlled the butterfly in the throttle body), called "idle control device" on the parts fiche. The gunk buildup prevented the stepper motor from turning the butterfly correctly. (This may not be technically accurate but it is my understanding). They cleaned it up and tho it has only been 3 days it has not shown the problem anymore. Covered under warranty.

UPDATE 8/16/10: No problems stalling in 2 months now, this is fully described in post 284 by Muckpee in which he cleaned the idle actuator and also the entire throttle body. Great post!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 08-16-2010 at 12:43 PM
snooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #228
Roof of Africa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Question

Year: 2008

Mileage at time of issue: 7100 km

Date of occurrence: June 14, 2010

Modifications (if any): unifilter

Description of Failure(s): Very cold morning and did a run into town 15km at 120km/h . On arrival in town, idling very high. Problem went away after bike switched off and re-started

Resolution (if any): None yet
Roof of Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #229
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Sudden throttle failure

Model: (xCountry)
Year: 2009
ABS: no
Mileage at time of issue: 9,000+
Date of occurrence: June 22
Modifications (if any): headlight, nothing mechanical
Description of Failure(s): throttle stopped working
Resolution (if any): none

This has been the month of things breaking down. While I can understand the alternator giving out on an old truck, this is the kind of thing that blindsides you.

Prepped this morning to commute into town as I've been doing almost every day here, and out of nowhere... throttle dead. Nothing. It seems like the rubber handle has become completely detached from the rotator it covers. No tension. This apparently happened overnight while I slept. I have absolutely no idea how to fix it, and am in fact now stranded outside of town, hehe. Took the end pieces off but they don't appear to have anything to do with the rubber cover. It won't come off, or, at least by pulling as hard as I can on it.

Anyone familiar with and/or know how to fix this problem?

FOLLOWUP: Ok, did some more investigating. It is difficult to bring myself to believe it or say it, but the throttle cable is snapped clean off within 1/8 inch of the little cylinder it connects to in the rocker! Umm, is this something common? I would think NOT. I certainly would hope not! How this happened while it was parked overnight and not while I was driving it home is pretty damned unusual.

Sadly, this does not look like a repair I can make here on my own. If the cable could be crimped back into the cylinder I'd be golden, but it looks fused into it with no way to remove it.

Any sage advice? Tricks?

Thanks

Now I have to write a company to ask why the zipper on my 7 month old Technik Jacket sh*t itself yesterday!

paul_g screwed with this post 06-22-2010 at 11:17 AM
paul_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #230
Muckpee
Noobie Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckpee
Model: (xCountry)
Year:2007
ABS:yes

Mileage at time of issue:5000km
Date of occurrence:summer 2008
Modifications (if any): none
Description of Failure(s) warped front rotor
Resolution (if any): new rotor under warranty

Mileage at time of issue:25000km
Date of occurrence:august 2009 to current
Modifications (if any): none

Description of Failure(s): 7.5 amp fuse that is responsible for digital cluster and signal/brake lights blows. Dealer says wiring harness is too tight for the bike and therefor the wires are rubbing and stretching and consequencely shorting out... The short also drains the battery completely. So far the problem has wrecked two batteries and the dealership wont replace any of em! It's been in twice and halfhassly fixed by the dealership. After running smoothly for less then one tank of gas the problem returned today while idling at a red light. I went straight home and disconnected my new battery... my bike's warranty expired 5 days ago... should be interesting phone call on monday. Anybody know if the wiring diagrams for the g650x bikes is available anywhere??

Resolution (if any): This was my first motorbike but may be my last bmw
Happy to report, my dealer has since replaced the complete wiring harness and I have put 1000 km's on the bike the first weekend back with zero problems! turns out there were about 6 wires that were damaged after one wire shorted out.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #231
pecos
BAM!!

Oddometer: 530
Anyone heard about this recall?

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...tegoryId=48447
pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #232
smf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Whats up everyone! I've tired not to post here but I need some help
2007 Xchallenge
8900 miles
problem started at 8000 miles

Bike ran perfect for 8000 miles. The last 900 suck.
I've read thru these posts and I need to post my own symptoms.
Started out as a hesitation when I turn the throttle wide open. Feels like someone is tugging on the rear. Noticed it in 4th and 5th gear first. roll throttle slow and you don't feel it. Crank it and blah.....Now i'm noticing just a lack of overall power. 2nd gear thru a tight turn, hit the throttle and it hesitates. My DRZ motard has more umph than the X now. When I bought the X I forgot about riding the DRZ because of the power the X had.

So bike in the shop......trying to explain to the service manager, "my bike won't go over 82mph and feels horrible. New battery was installed and I had them check the valves again to make sure everything was set right. They check the fuel pump screen and it was covered in a black sludge. so they cleaned that and back flushed the injector. Still not the same bike.
There are times when it does run fine but thats usually under "normal riding" which we all tend to not do much. Balls out riding and my X is at 3/4 power.

So reading thru these posts, Not sure what to look at. Throw some ideas out there. Internal package of the exhaust loose? Blocking air flow......the small round pipe inside the can does move on my bike. I've read that was a problem with some. Could a bad spark pulg cause this?

Thanks guys post anything you can think of
smf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #233
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
I think some of the damping wool in the exhaust came loose, clogging it especially when you need power.

You are not the first one btw, I've heard of a few more with the same symptomps.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #234
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,335
SMF,
Does the bike sound like it's wheezing\gasping for air? Sounds very similar to what my bike did when the catalytic converter detonated inside the exhaust. You can do a quick check by pulling the exhaust off and shaking it around. If it sounds like it's full of marbles, chances are pretty good that that cat is dead. Worth a try.

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #235
smf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore
SMF,
Does the bike sound like it's wheezing\gasping for air? Sounds very similar to what my bike did when the catalytic converter detonated inside the exhaust. You can do a quick check by pulling the exhaust off and shaking it around. If it sounds like it's full of marbles, chances are pretty good that that cat is dead. Worth a try.

Andrew
Pulled pipe off at lunch. shake....shake.....nothing. So, could it still be blocked? I was hopeing for a rattle so this would be over. I want my bike back to normal and I'm not sure what to do next
smf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #236
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,520
X Bike Recall for Roll Gear Pin Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecos
Vehicle Make / Model / Model Year(s):
BMW / G 650 X US CHALLENGE 2007
BMW / G 650 X US COUNTRY 2007-2008
BMW / G 650 X US MOTO 2007

This is an official US government agency's recall of X bikes. More links have been posted regarding this recall so I am attempting to gather them all in this one place, here is the one from the US government agency NHTSA (National Highway Safety Traffic Administration):
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...e&refurl=email

The NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number is: 10V273000. It also states you can call BMW at 1-800-525-7417. I did so and BMW can only look it up by the last 7 digits in your VIN number. They could not look up an NHTSA number and see any information on which bikes.

My '07 XCo was not listed in the recall even though it was manufactured in 12/06 which was within the time frame that the website says is included.

NOTE: If anyone calls and finds out theirs *IS* listed please post something here, as I want to make sure the BMW system really has the campaign data in it correctly.

Some of us have speculated it is related to item 7 in the following micro fiche, but who knows? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...44&hg=27&fg=05

=========
Here is the content from the NHTSA web site in case you cannot reach it, or it disappears in the future:
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
BMW / G 650 X US CHALLENGE 2007
BMW / G 650 X US COUNTRY 2007-2008
BMW / G 650 X US MOTO 2007
Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: JUN 15, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V273000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected:
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007 AND 2008 G 650 X COUNTRY, G 650 X CHALLENGE, AND G650 X MOTO MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM NOVEMBER 29, 2006 THROUGH MAY 19, 2008. OVER TIME, THE ROLL GEAR PIN'S MOUNTING ATTACHMENT COULD BREAK.
Consequence:
IF THIS OCCURS, IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE FOR FRAGMENTS OF THE ATTACHMENT TO BECOME TRAPPED BETWEEN THE DRIVE CHAIN AND THE REAR SPROCKET. THE REAR WHEEL COULD LOCK UP, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED THE AGENCY WITH A REMEDY PLAN OR A NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #237
backyardorganics
Dubletruble

Oddometer: 59
Model: XChallenge
ABS: yes
Mileage at time of issue: 5300
Date of occurrence:June 2010
Modifications (if any): heated grips, derestricted, 17" wheels
Description of Failure(s): engine stopped
Resolution (if any): no one knows
Reference Thread:

I'm riding the other week, and having a blast, so I stop at a red light on a busy street and while waiting for the light to change the bike just dies? Try restarting a couple times and nothing, so the light turns green and I'm trying to let the people behind me know I'm broken down try getting across the lane to my right while not getting creamed and push bike to safety. I try again and it keeps cranking but acts like it's not getting any fuel, plus when key is turned from off to on the fuel pump doesn't "energize" and prime itself like it use to.

After getting towed home was able to verify it's not getting fuel. Test all fuses and fuel pump connector to make sure power is getting to fuel pump. Power is getting to fuel pump with gasoline in tank but fuel pump not working. Figured it was bad fuel pump which there was a recall for this model year bike (although not my VIN#) Call BMW who say send it to dealer as it is still under warranty and they have roadside assistance pick up (pretty cool). Dealer (about hour away) says if it is fuel pump or they need to order parts it will take about a week:(

3 days go by I hear nothing so give dealer a call. Ask about bike and told the fuel pump is fine. I was quite surprised but was told when pump was removed and hooked up to power source it worked. Also get a snide remark about "interesting wiring" ?, so there gonna do some more troubleshotting to find the problem. Another 3 days go by I hear nothing so call dealer, who says they are waiting on parts and should get them in a day or so. I ask what part and she says fuel pump? So now told fuel pump works when not in bike but when in bike and a load is put on it it doesn't work? Hoping and thinking this will fix it, I wait another 3 days hearing nothing so call dealer again. I'm now being made to feel I'm being a pain for calling, not to mention they have never once called me. So today is day 15, just got off the phone and the end seems nowhere in sight. I was told today that they are putting a charcoal cannister back on they borrowed from another bike because they can't read the fualt code unless everything is plugged in and made it sound like it was my fault the bike just stopped running. The only wiring i changed was heated grips & kickstand connector both which I've had and ridden for 6 months on. It was also hinted that the dealer can't charge warranty for that since the cannister wasn't there. Anyway this is turning out to be a real nightmare and beside wiring the ECU seems lik a probable suspect. Any ideas ?

'hould take about
backyardorganics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #238
TRuelle
n00b

Oddometer: 1
G-650 X-Country Stalling

I replaced the stock spark plugs with Denso iridium Racing plugs as well as put in the new battery ( BMW has a recall on the battery and replaced it with a YUSA). I also have in a BMG race air filter.

Bike really runs great and the stalling issue has disappeared when cold starting .
TRuelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #239
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
My X would not idle.

The fix:
I had removed the charcoal cannister about a year ago.
The vacuum plug on the throttle body had popped off due to a mild backfire I suppose.
Suggest putting some wire around the plug.
Cured.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #240
MTBiker78
ENDURO Wanabee

Oddometer: 184
Model: XChallenge
ABS: np
Mileage at time of issue: 18500km
Date of occurrence:July 2010
Modifications (if any): lots
Description of Failure(s): radiator fan failed
Resolution (if any): replace fan
Reference Thread:
marked as waterproof IP68 SPAL radiator fan failed - stucked bearings and burned brushes

FAN producent is SPAL - model VA69A-A101-87A.

----------------
I have a new challange ..... X-Challenge ....

www.vimeo.com/mtbiker
http://picasaweb.google.com/lukasz.lechowicz/XChallenge
MTBiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote