Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof of Africa
Model: xChallenge

Year: 2008

ABS: Yes

Mileage at time of issue: 7100 km

Date of occurrence: June 14, 2010

Modifications (if any): unifilter

Description of Failure(s): Very cold morning and did a run into town 15km at 120km/h . On arrival in town, idling very high. Problem went away after bike switched off and re-started

Resolution (if any): None yet
BUMP. Anybody got ideas on this one. Problem still there!!
Roof of Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #242
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,445
Does it reoccur? Try resetting the ECU. Keeping the power off it for about 5 minutes.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #243
apullin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
My stalling problem alleviated...

So, I have had an issue with my '07 X-Country stalling. It would always stall after about 30 seconds of running, when started from cold. It got very bad recently, and would stall 3-4 times, until full up to temperature.

I saw that there was a software update for my GS-911 unit. The update enabled the unit to reset the adaptation values for the idle control stepper, O2 sensor, and fuel computer. I reset all of them, idles the bike until the fan switched on. This seems to have stopped the stalling completely.

But that might just be a workaround for something else that's wrong. I might have low fuel pressure; clogged strainer or bad fuel pressure regulator. Although, I'm not sure if this bike even has a fuel pressure regulator. It might be a loose hose clamp on the throttle body; the dealership claimed that was the problems at one point.

Anyone got any tricks for removing the fuel pump without buying the special BMW tools?
apullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #244
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,112
apullin:

Mine does the stall after cold start. It will only occur once about 500 m after leaving my house. It occurs perhaps once in 5 starts. It is not predictable as to weather, etc.

What is a GS-911 unit and how does one reset it?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #245
apullin
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
What is a GS-911 unit and how does one reset it?
http://www.gs911usa.com/

It's a code reader / interface pod for BMW bikes. It's fairly expensive, $300. I bought it as a shot-in-the-dark way to try and fix my stalling problem since the dealerships were totally useless. It's quite a nice tool, though.

It does logging, too. Since dealerships have been unable to resolve the problem after 5 visits, I had been gathering logs of it stalling to eventually send to BMW corporate ... or something.

Ostensibly, the BMW computer unit should be able to do the exact same 3 reset functions. It "should" take 15 seconds to do, so hopefully you'll be able to talk your dealership into doing it for you for cheap, or free. I think you're supposed to do it with the engine cold, and then idle it until the fan turns on.

Now if there was only some way this GS-911 could fix the wretched transmission on this bike....
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #246
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by apullin
http://www.gs911usa.com/

Now if there was only some way this GS-911 could fix the wretched transmission on this bike....
What's wrong with the tranny?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #247
apullin
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz
What's wrong with the tranny?
Feels... clunky? Dropping from neutral to first with the engine running usually results in a pretty alarming CLACK, and a small jump or lurch. It's not uncommon for it to not fully go into gear on downshifts, leaving me stuck between 2nd and 3rd. With the engine off, and in 1st, it feels like it's dragging, even with the clutch in. The engagement isn't very smooth... all the friction is in last 10% of the clutch lever. And you have to be super ginger to find neutral. The shift lever seems to have a lot of travel that isn't actually shifting the transmission, too ... 50% play, 50% shift.

Maybe I'm just a terrible rider. But my KTM transmission felt a lot better. And japanese (sportsbike) transmissions have always felt like precise machines.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #248
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,108
I have found that my switching to a fully synthetic oil has improved the transmissions feel tremendously.

www.dakotadualsportriders.com
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #249
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 659
clunky. . . .

See post # 202 from this thread:

03-25-2010, 12:39 AM #202
motojc
n00b

Oddometer: 9

People have been asking me about the details of the clutch recall, so here's what's on my record:

Dealer: BMW Mahattan.
Service Date: jan 9th 2010.
Serv Advisor: Rodney McIntosh

Service detail:

...clutch lever hard to pull in, bike walks when clutch disengaged, almost impossible to find neutral. Inspected Cable and found freeplay maxed out at lever adjuster and spine adjustment at cover. Inspected cable length, ok. Removed Clutch access cover and found tooth missing on pivot arm operates clutch plates. Searched bulletins and measures, found PUMA Measure US-22898888-02 ordered all necessary parts...

Parts Ordered:
Needle sleeve: T99L00N
Operating Shaft: T21500
Set of clutch Disks: T212A2
Release Bearing: T21500
Shaft Seal: T99DooTW
Gasket: T99D00TG
Clutch Rel. Fork Lever: T21500
Needle Sleeve: T99L00N

I believe the part with missing tooth was individual incidence, the cover and shaft is the recall. Good luck and hope this will help.

Report this

motojc
View Public Profile
Send a private message to motojc
Find More Posts by motojc
Add motojc to Your Buddy List

Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #250
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,932
Quote:
Feels... clunky? Dropping from neutral to first with the engine running usually results in a pretty alarming CLACK, and a small jump or lurch. It's not uncommon for it to not fully go into gear on downshifts, leaving me stuck between 2nd and 3rd. With the engine off, and in 1st, it feels like it's dragging, even with the clutch in. The engagement isn't very smooth... all the friction is in last 10% of the clutch lever. And you have to be super ginger to find neutral. The shift lever seems to have a lot of travel that isn't actually shifting the transmission, too ... 50% play, 50% shift.

Maybe I'm just a terrible rider. But my KTM transmission felt a lot better. And japanese (sportsbike) transmissions have always felt like precise machines.
I have a similar problem with my Xcountry.

BMW told me that gear changes are different to Jap bikes. Apparently you need to fully take the pressure off the gear lever between gear changes when changing down.

I'm trying very hard to make sure I do this to see what the difference is. Not sure yet.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #251
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,492
Hmm, can't complain about mine, shifts well and positively up and down, no miss shifts, neutral no harder or easier than any other Euro bike I have owned, clutch is light and plenty of feel. No play in the shifter or shaft either.

The shifts can sound a bit clunky now and again but no worse than other bikes.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #252
apullin
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz
Hmm, can't complain about mine, shifts well and positively up and down, no miss shifts, neutral no harder or easier than any other Euro bike I have owned, clutch is light and plenty of feel. No play in the shifter or shaft either.

The shifts can sound a bit clunky now and again but no worse than other bikes.
Hrm, I can complain about mine, but maybe I just suck. It always feels like there is something "in the way" when I'm shifting, unless I use only 5% of the travel of the clutch lever. And it always makes a "slam" sound when I put it from neutral to first.

I guess I'll check that shaft next time I change my oil... or if I find something clean to drain my oil into. But I'm sure it'll be something much worse wrong.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #253
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,112
Quote:
Hrm, I can complain about mine, but maybe I just suck. It always feels like there is something "in the way" when I'm shifting, unless I use only 5% of the travel of the clutch lever. And it always makes a "slam" sound when I put it from neutral to first.

I guess I'll check that shaft next time I change my oil... or if I find something clean to drain my oil into. But I'm sure it'll be something much worse wrong.
There is a different feel to typical BMW transmissions than others. I think BMW has changed the feel of the transmissions on the new R bikes (and K?) to resemble Japanese bikes, but ours still has the old clunk feel.

It really is technique and it's helped by using very stiff riding boots. Shift definitely and with authority helps. It really is a feel you develop. Of course, like the stupid turn signal switchgear on older BMW multiples, BMW claims its way is best, but I personally would prefer if BMW subbed the transmission out to Zook.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #254
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
There is a different feel to typical BMW transmissions than others. I think BMW has changed the feel of the transmissions on the new R bikes (and K?) to resemble Japanese bikes, but ours still has the old clunk feel.

It really is technique and it's helped by using very stiff riding boots. Shift definitely and with authority helps. It really is a feel you develop. Of course, like the stupid turn signal switchgear on older BMW multiples, BMW claims its way is best, but I personally would prefer if BMW subbed the transmission out to Zook.
I concur, but don't necessarily like it. The gear box and clutch do seem less forgiving than those on other bikes, keeping you honest about your shifting and not letting you get lazy. The sweet spot wherein revs match for seemless, completely smooth shifting seems narrower. A few things that help me: Don't shift up too soon, let it rev up. Yes, be definitive. Don't wait to shift until your clutch lever is pulled in all the way as that seems to allow time for revs to drop too much. Don't let out too much throttle, just a bit. Pull the shift lever straight up with your foot (probably nothing mechanical here but plays a part, for me, in being definitive about your shift). Blip the throttle a little (not too much) for downshifts.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #255
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
own an f650gs not the xchallenge but has same gear box. bmw's are brutal for clunky stiff boxes. mine can be heard by all other riders with me, that is when we riding along and in towns they can hear the clunk up and down on their bikes

its normal for bmw's so dont worry its just they way the beast is built