Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #271
Cycleman4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Not sure if this has been discussed or not but I was having trouble with my 07 xchallenge running/cutting out. If you have taken off the smog equipment you need to make sure that you leave the breather valve in place and hooked up to the sensor. Without this the bike throws error codes and runs crappy and looses gas mileage. Just throwing it out there for those who have not checked that.
Cycleman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #272
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
Which sensor? I thought it was just a solenoid to cut off the breather hose to the charcoal canister...
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #273
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
I am running without any the cannister or solonoid. My dealer says it throws code(s) but it functions perfectly.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #274
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
I don't believe disconnecting the solenoid throws codes. On european bikes the solenoid isnt even there. Just an open connector...
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #275
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
I don't believe disconnecting the solenoid throws codes. On european bikes the solenoid isnt even there. Just an open connector...
I only report what my dealer told me. He checked codes during a recall. He said it was throwing codes due to the missing cannister / soloniod.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #276
Mal_B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Idle Actuator

Model: XChallenge
Year: 2007
ABS: no
Mileage at time of issue: 3500km
Date of occurrence:June 2010
Modifications (if any): Many.
Description of Failure(s): Surging, stalling unable to start or idle occasionally. Idle actuator faults in log.
Resolution (if any): Replaced idle actuator.

Seems fine now after idle actuator replacement. Two other people at least reporting this in this thread - seems like an issue for these bikes.
Mal_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #277
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine

Oddometer: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
I only report what my dealer told me. He checked codes during a recall. He said it was throwing codes due to the missing cannister / soloniod.
Mine says the same thing. I think it just shows the open circuit. I'll check the paperwork to see the code #. I think it's there.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #278
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

Oddometer: 379
reset idle actuator - repl battery and clocks.

Year: 2009
Mileage at time of issue: 6500km
Date of occurrence:2009/2010
Modifications (if any): none.
Description of Failures and Resolutions:
1-Logs indicated idle actuator fault. Would re-occur if I cleared the log. (GS-911) I then ran the "reset idle actuator". No more issues with that.
2- Broke off gear lever. Shaft OK. replaced with steel after market lever.
3- Battery replaced under warranty. BMW campaign. I had no problems with it.
4- Inner guard rubbing wear mark in shock bladder. I bent it out using heat gun before it did any real damage. Then 2 months later BMW dealer rang me to say he had a new one as part of BMW pro-active replacement campaign.
5- at same time BMW replaced upper chain guide roller assembly. Again pro-active campaign.
6- Dropped bike in a big dirty puddle. Oil light on permanently, even with key out of ignition. BMW replacing instrument cluster under warranty.

So overall I am very happy with the bike. I have learned a lot about off road riding on it. I have dropped it countless times. The bark busters are worth their weight in gold. BMW have contacted me for 3 pro-active replacements for things I had not reported to them. And now they are going to replace the instrument cluster.
I had an original f650 and then the Aprilia (5-valve) version of the same bike. (Built on same line). Then a 1200GS and back to the 650. (Again built by Aprilia). great bike.

Kiwi Tinkerer screwed with this post 08-08-2010 at 08:26 PM
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #279
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
What a difference a good dealer makes. Certainly dont get that sort of help in Perth WA. Unfortunately they have no competition here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Tinkerer
Year: 2009
Mileage at time of issue: 6500km
Date of occurrence:2009/2010
Modifications (if any): none.
Description of Failures and Resolutions:
1-Logs indicated idle actuator fault. Would re-occur if I cleared the log. (GS-911) I then ran the "reset idle actuator". No more issues with that.
2- Broke off gear lever. Shaft OK. replaced with steel after market lever.
3- Battery replaced under warranty. BMW campaign. I had no problems with it.
4- Inner guard rubbing wear mark in shock bladder. I bent it out using heat gun before it did any real damage. Then 2 months later BMW dealer rang me to say he had a new one as part of BMW pro-active replacement campaign.
5- at same time BMW replaced upper chain guide roller assembly. Again pro-active campaign.
6- Dropped bike in a big dirty puddle. Oil light on permanently, even with key out of ignition. BMW replacing instrument cluster under warranty.

So overall I am very happy with the bike. I have learned a lot about off road riding on it. I have dropped it countless times. The bark busters are worth their weight in gold. BMW have contacted me for 3 pro-active replacements for things I had not reported to them. And now they are going to replace the instrument cluster.
I had an original f650 and then the Aprilia (5-valve) version of the same bike. (Built on same line). Then a 1200GS and back to the 650. (Again built by Aprilia). great bike.
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #280
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler
What a difference a good dealer makes. Certainly dont get that sort of help in Perth WA. Unfortunately they have no competition here.
I can't tell you how true I feel that sentiment is. My dealer is an ace and it really does make me more inclined to buy another BMW. Or maybe that if the dealer was a dud, I'd be disinclined to buy another BMW.

All my dealings with this dealer leave me thinking I got great value for my money. Can't ask more than that.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #281
Cycleman4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Which sensor? I thought it was just a solenoid to cut off the breather hose to the charcoal canister...
It is called the fuel tank breather valve. My dealer told me that it runs in a default mode if this is not plugged in to the system. Not sure if it is true but my gas mileage has improved since installing it.
Cycleman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #282
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

Oddometer: 379
Good Dealer

The local dealership changed recently. The original dealer was fantastic. (This is my 6th BMW) I was skeptical about the change as the dealer it moved to had a pretty poor reputation which I had experienced. I did the first 1000km service myself as I did not trust them to do it. However they have since lifted their game significantly. They got new mechanics and staff who actually know what they are doing to replace the deadbeats they had before. It makes all the difference if you trust your dealer.
They are very professional and give great service. Plus they are only 5 minutes from my house. What more could you want.
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #283
Muckpee
Noobie Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckpee
My 07 xcountry (29000km) used to start 100% with a quick touch of the button.. now i've noticed it starts but then will often stall a couple times. When it's idling cold and i give it a little throttle to rev it it can stall or idle irradically. When driving away on it cold at constant speed it seems the motor is lurching... seems to go away by opening up the throttle... BIke was serviced 4000km ago and has brand new battery+new wiring harness. It has also developed an oil leak
*** pictures here
http://picasaweb.google.com/mmik3p/G...eat=directlink

Ok so I've been reading about the idle actuator and there seems to be alot of evidence on the web that this might be the culprit causing idle stalls and hard starting.

I also found this (from http://www.bmw-motorrad.no/no/no/bik...lenge_2008.pdf)

"The idle actuator is posi-
tioned after you switch on
the ignition. The coolant-tem-
perature warning light flashes
if the idle actuator has not cor-
rectly positioned before the pre-
ride check completes. In order
to avoid subsequent problems,
wait for this process to complete
before proceeding."

So I turned key on my bike and tried to listen for the actuator to no avail. BUT i noticed if you hold the throttle wide open while turning the key on - wait - then turn the key off, you can here the idle actuator making some noise. Seemed wierd.

I had already pulled the top half of my airbox and was surprised at all the dirt in there (Time for different air filter!!) so i thought I might as well pull the actuator (5 minutes earlier i didnt even know what an idle actuator was).

take a look at the pics, needless to say its quite dirty and STICKY dirty. I was just going to clean it but figure theres alot more dirt in the ports that this this works in. You can see the dirt in the hole but im going to pull the entire throttle body because i'd bet a pretty penny that bottom tube that goes from the actuator port to the injector side of the intake is filled with grime.

I also turned the key on normally, actuator does nothing. But when I do the holding the throttle thing, after i turn off the key the actuator tries to stick out as far as it can. If I squeeze it a bit it senses the force and backs off a bit (as if recalibrating itself). This recalibration however might not work if theres alot of sticky grime in there.

I'm going to clean everything.

But, it'd be interesting for somebody with the ildling stalling issue to hold the throttle wide open, turn the key on, - wait -, turn the key off, - wait, and then start the bike and see if it makes any difference. I would think it should but might not if theres too much sticky grime in the actuator.

I know other people have been installing oiled foam air filters but I didnt want to go that route as I like the low maintence/clean paper filter idea...ill have to rethink that one i guess..

Old 08-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #284
Muckpee
Noobie Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckpee
*** pictures here
http://picasaweb.google.com/mmik3p/G...eat=directlink

Ok so I've been reading about the idle actuator and there seems to be alot of evidence on the web that this might be the culprit causing idle stalls and hard starting.

I also found this (from http://www.bmw-motorrad.no/no/no/bik...lenge_2008.pdf)

"The idle actuator is posi-
tioned after you switch on
the ignition. The coolant-tem-
perature warning light flashes
if the idle actuator has not cor-
rectly positioned before the pre-
ride check completes. In order
to avoid subsequent problems,
wait for this process to complete
before proceeding."

So I turned key on my bike and tried to listen for the actuator to no avail. BUT i noticed if you hold the throttle wide open while turning the key on - wait - then turn the key off, you can here the idle actuator making some noise. Seemed wierd.

I had already pulled the top half of my airbox and was surprised at all the dirt in there (Time for different air filter!!) so i thought I might as well pull the actuator (5 minutes earlier i didnt even know what an idle actuator was).

take a look at the pics, needless to say its quite dirty and STICKY dirty. I was just going to clean it but figure theres alot more dirt in the ports that this this works in. You can see the dirt in the hole but im going to pull the entire throttle body because i'd bet a pretty penny that bottom tube that goes from the actuator port to the injector side of the intake is filled with grime.

I also turned the key on normally, actuator does nothing. But when I do the holding the throttle thing, after i turn off the key the actuator tries to stick out as far as it can. If I squeeze it a bit it senses the force and backs off a bit (as if recalibrating itself). This recalibration however might not work if theres alot of sticky grime in there.

I'm going to clean everything.

But, it'd be interesting for somebody with the ildling stalling issue to hold the throttle wide open, turn the key on, - wait -, turn the key off, - wait, and then start the bike and see if it makes any difference. I would think it should but might not if theres too much sticky grime in the actuator.

I know other people have been installing oiled foam air filters but I didnt want to go that route as I like the low maintence/clean paper filter idea...ill have to rethink that one i guess..

UPDATE:::::::

Ok I completely took off my airbox and throttle body. Turns out this is extremely easy to do and requires no special tools. I then cleaned the throttle body and idle actuator. Then I put everything back together carefully and made sure I had no extra screws... Then I held the throttle wide open, turned the key on, waited, turned the key off (so the actuator could recalibrate), waited. then... turned the key on, then blipped the starter button and it started right up as if it were new! Seemed to idle alot stronger with no signs of stalling whatsoever!

Root cause? I would say insufficient air filter design used by BMW. Anyone know if the f650gs use the same setup?

Now for some pics:

Bike taken apart... amazing how large that air box is.. could use a smaller airbox and have room for 2 gallons of fuel atleast! hmmm...

Even the injector is covered in grime

Before:

After: Clean Actuator

Cleaned throttle body (just sprayed out with carb medic in 45 seconds)

Bike idling happily, waiting to riDE!

UPDATE #2::::

Just put 50km on the bike... or should i say NEW BiKe! Stalling is the least of the problems that are now without a doubt gone! My bike has been extremely herky jerky in the last 3000km of riding whether shifting or just cruising. I thought it was my new chain (maybe a dud or loose) that i put on (roughly 3000km ago). Cruising at low speeds (eg 90km/hr in 5th) was extremely herky jerky but now i can take it down into the 70's and its buttery smooth. Shifting transitions are also alot smoother. Basically anytime the engine was at lower rpms and the throttle is closed or alsmost closed i used to have extreme herky jerk (apparently it was just trying to stall). Cleaning the throttle body + idle actuator seems to have brough my bike back, i was getting ready to sell it but dont think that will happen now! Best ride i had in a loooong time!

I recommend everybody clean your throttle body periodicallY!

Muckpee screwed with this post 08-14-2010 at 07:22 PM
Muckpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #285
RideThereNow
Fortunate One

Oddometer: 87
No Problems After Full Submersion

2007 X-CH dissappeared underwater with me on it last year in one of those friendly Kansas floods .

Long story short, I was dumb, my friend was really helpful in rescuing me and getting the bike home and I'm alive and writing about it.

It took a lot of work to dry out the engine and clean everything up but the tough little monkey runs hard as ever, no oil consumption, and has been on several long (1500 mile +) rides (Big Bend NP, CO passes) since with no problems.

Mods before the mishap include a K&N cleanable filter, replaced the aluminum sub frame with TT's steel frame, accessory plug for GPS and that's about it.

IMHO this is one of the best bikes BMW has EVER produced, or should I say Aprillia/Rotax and they made a big mistake not continuing production and marketing the machine both within the dealership network and with customers.

RideThereNow is offline   Reply With Quote