Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #286
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 2,221
Ride there now.....where did you get a k&n for the X? Part #?
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #287
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Muckpee, this seems like pretty good advice
Thanks for the post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckpee
UPDATE:::::::

UPDATE #2::::

Just put 50km on the bike... or should i say NEW BiKe! Stalling is the least of the problems that are now without a doubt gone! My bike has been extremely herky jerky in the last 3000km of riding whether shifting or just cruising. I thought it was my new chain (maybe a dud or loose) that i put on (roughly 3000km ago). Cruising at low speeds (eg 90km/hr in 5th) was extremely herky jerky but now i can take it down into the 70's and its buttery smooth. Shifting transitions are also alot smoother. Basically anytime the engine was at lower rpms and the throttle is closed or alsmost closed i used to have extreme herky jerk (apparently it was just trying to stall). Cleaning the throttle body + idle actuator seems to have brough my bike back, i was getting ready to sell it but dont think that will happen now! Best ride i had in a loooong time!

I recommend everybody clean your throttle body periodicallY!
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 AM   #288
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckpee
"The idle actuator is posi-
tioned after you switch on
the ignition. The coolant-tem-
perature warning light flashes
if the idle actuator has not cor-
rectly positioned before the pre-
ride check completes. In order
to avoid subsequent problems,
wait for this process to complete
before proceeding."
Hmmm. Maybe somebody can clarify this . . . My coolant light always flashes three times (I think) after I turn the ignition switch. I don't start the bike until a couple seconds after that. My bike idles and runs fine.

Is it saying there's a problem if it is flashing or you just need to give it time to re-calibrate if it is flashing? I assume mine is recalibrating since it is fine when I start it. However, I'll probably clean the actuator and throttle body as PM anyway - definitely can't hurt.

EDIT - answered my own question by actually reading Muckpee's link. Prior to the quoted passage, the manual says:

"Wait until the warning light for
the coolant temperature stops
flashing."

So apparently mine is operating normally. I think I'll still add in throttle body/actuator cleaning as part of PM.

Good info Muckpee!

Butters screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 03:49 AM
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #289
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4
Not sure if this has been discussed or not but I was having trouble with my 07 xchallenge running/cutting out. If you have taken off the smog equipment you need to make sure that you leave the breather valve in place and hooked up to the sensor. Without this the bike throws error codes and runs crappy and looses gas mileage. Just throwing it out there for those who have not checked that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4
It is called the fuel tank breather valve. My dealer told me that it runs in a default mode if this is not plugged in to the system. Not sure if it is true but my gas mileage has improved since installing it.
So you are talking about item 5 in the parts fiche named 16_0755 - ACTIVATED CARBON CONTAINER/TUBING:
05 13901433602 FUEL TANK BREATHER VALVE0.21 1 NA
13901433602 was superseded by 13901433603.

The fuel tank breather valve is also shown in upper part of the pic below (stolen from Flo)?

Is there any way you could post a picture of how you hooked up the lines?

On my XCo without the canister, it did throw a fault code the dealer said, but runs fine.

?? But if this really gets better gas mileage we could all sure use this - has anybody else had similar experience?

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #290
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler
Muckpee, this seems like pretty good advice
Thanks for the post
+1
Great post Muckpee!!! This is exactly what the dealer found wrong with my bike which would stall when letting off the throttle at stop signs, only when cold. They cleaned the idle actuator and throttle body and it has been great for 2 months! But now I understand what they did and could do it myself later if needed. Funny thing is my airbox was clean so dunno how it got gunked up and this could be due to something different.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 08-16-2010 at 04:30 PM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #291
NittanyRider
Walking Contradiction

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker

NOTE: If anyone calls and finds out theirs *IS* listed please post something here, as I want to make sure the BMW system really has the campaign data in it correctly.
I just called BMW of NA and the woman I spoke to told me I had two outstanding recalls on my '07 XChall... 1) "Brake Pipe Distributo" and 2) "Take up Roller Brack". Could the "Take Up Roller Brack" be the one mentioned in the NHTSA bulletin? The lady on the phone couldn't tell me if it was because they didn't have the bulletin referenced by the NHTSA number.

BTW, what the hell is "Brake Pipe Distributo"??
NittanyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #292
NittanyRider
Walking Contradiction

cold stalling...

Thanks a lot, Muckpee and Snooker (and everyone else, too!), for posting the information about your stalling issues - I hope it helps me fix my stalling issues!

My '07 XChallenge is currently at the dealership (for the 3rd time) regarding stalling. The first time in the shop, they reset the adaptations, and gave the bike back to me, thinking the problem was solved. The cold stalling and stalling when accelerating from a stop or at low speed continued, so I brought the bike back and the computer said there was something wrong with the idle control, so they replaced it and gave me the bike back. Thankfully, the stalling problems I was having when accelerating from a stop or low speed have pretty much been resolved (more on this below...), but the cold stalling persisted, and was even worse than before the new idle control was installed. Anyway, I just heard from the service technician, and he said that there were no fault codes, and everything looked good, from an electronics standpoint, so they were going to open a "puma case" with BMW to get some input from them. I forwarded the link to this thread and asked the service manager to pass along the info to the mechanic, so we'll see what they find out.

So, in addition to the cold stalling, my XChall will also pericodically stall abruptly when I'm at a stop and just start to roll on the throttle and release the clutch, or if I'm making a turn (low speed/low rpm) and just as I roll on the throttle it wants to stall. This doesn't happen often, but it's happened enough to be more than just a fluke. Also, this stalling is much more likely to happen in warm/hot weather, and is accompanied by a uneven/surging idle.

Anyone have any ideas??
Old 08-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #293
Muckpee
Noobie Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyRider
So, in addition to the cold stalling, my XChall will also pericodically stall abruptly when I'm at a stop and just start to roll on the throttle and release the clutch, or if I'm making a turn (low speed/low rpm) and just as I roll on the throttle it wants to stall. This doesn't happen often, but it's happened enough to be more than just a fluke. Also, this stalling is much more likely to happen in warm/hot weather, and is accompanied by a uneven/surging idle.

Anyone have any ideas??
Do you know if the dealer cleaned your throttle body? Could be gunk in the lower idle actuator tube causing restriction? You could also try holding the throttle wide open, turning the key on, then turning key off, then starting the bike normally (this seems to physically reset the idle actuator). The throttle body valve has zero gap when closed so if there's any restriction in the idle actuator passage the engine will likely suffocate or be severely affected during all low rpm operation, as was the case with my bike.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #294
shua
plays in snow

Oddometer: 225
I removed my tank breather valve a long time ago. I don't think my mileage has changed at all. Of course I did not do any trip's with the valve installed. I got 67 mpg last week.
shua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #295
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 2,221
At first I thought the "gunk" could be the oil from an aftermarket air filter. Are there still folks running a paper filter having this stalling problem? Could a good in tank fuel cleaner accomplish a trailside repair for this? (think Seafoam)

Just brainstorming....
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #296
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker
So you are talking about item 5 in the parts fiche named 16_0755 - ACTIVATED CARBON CONTAINER/TUBING:
05 13901433602 FUEL TANK BREATHER VALVE0.21 1 NA
13901433602 was superseded by 13901433603.

The fuel tank breather valve is also shown in upper part of the pic below (stolen from Flo)?

Is there any way you could post a picture of how you hooked up the lines?

On my XCo without the canister, it did throw a fault code the dealer said, but runs fine.

?? But if this really gets better gas mileage we could all sure use this - has anybody else had similar experience?

Also make sure that you have a GOOD vacuum cap on the throttle body after you remove the smog crap, and then zip tie it on. Keep in mind, that like all of the other rubber parts on your bike, it will eventually fail and need replacing. Try to keep a spare on hand.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #297
Muckpee
Noobie Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
At first I thought the "gunk" could be the oil from an aftermarket air filter. Are there still folks running a paper filter having this stalling problem? Could a good in tank fuel cleaner accomplish a trailside repair for this? (think Seafoam)

Just brainstorming....
I run a paper filter. Think most of the gunk is just dirt but also could be oil vapors (mixed with dirt) from the crankcase vent hose that also goes into the airbox. There are two chunks of coarse filter foam that cover the opening of this vent on the inside of the airbox (have to seperate the airbox to see). these filters have similar gunk on them that might collect elsewhere over time..
Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #298
NittanyRider
Walking Contradiction

Thanks, everyone, for the input! I would be really psyched if my bike's issues were gunk related. I know the bike diidn't get ridden much before I bought it in March 2010 - the original owner only put 1300 miles on it in 2.5 years.

I'll post an update once I get the bike back.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #299
dakardad
Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer: 443
First and second issue

Ive got 10k on my bike two issues have raised their ugly heads.
1. Im on a trip, stop for lunch get back on and turn the key. NOTHING.
In disbelief I try turning it off on a few times it flickers, but nada.
OK, Im sure its the battery right? fuss and fiddle fart ended up getting towed home. With all the battery issues (mine was changed under warranty before it crapped out.) I was sure I knew what it was. Well it turned out to be the keyed switch. It got hot at the dealer when I took it in.
2. I noticed that my rear suspension was feeling pretty uncontrolled. Bag is good, damper is shot.

Dealer fixed both under warranty. BMW of Utah in Sandy. Great folks
Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #300
NittanyRider
Walking Contradiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike

Just brainstorming....
According to the mechanic at my local dealer, the "gunk" is un-burned ethanol. The people from BMW (who are helping out with my PUMA case) suggested using a BMW additive/cleaner periodically to prevent this from happening again. I'll get the specifics when I go to pick up my bike next week, and then post the information here.