Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #301
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 666
I've been running SeaFoam every month in my bikes and also use it as a fuel stabilizer when I can't get out for rides.

Not sure if it helps with this gunk issue folks are having, but may be a good idea for some folks with issues to try.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/sea-foam/

http://www.seafoamsales.com/tech-info-gas-engines/
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #302
Muckpee
Noobie Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyRider
According to the mechanic at my local dealer, the "gunk" is un-burned ethanol. The people from BMW (who are helping out with my PUMA case) suggested using a BMW additive/cleaner periodically to prevent this from happening again. I'll get the specifics when I go to pick up my bike next week, and then post the information here.
The stalling and rough running in my case was caused by a gunky idle actuator. Dont think fuel additive/cleaner would help at all in this case as the idle actuator is upstream from the fuel injector. ??

Im going to try some seafoam for the rest of my engine though..
Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 AM   #303
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
follow up... XCountry serviced and back to normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g
Very interesting. Thank you. That does sound a lot like my problem.

Would you share with me what manufacturer/part you replaced it with?
Thanks to all the valuable info and advice on this problem. Couldn't have worked this out without this forum.

I had my 2009 Xcountry towed to Santa Fe BMW (because of the separate snapped throttle cable I posted about). They replaced the throttle cable, and... replaced my clogged up exhaust can under warranty with a new OEM. That was definitely the heart of the power loss problem, which many other's here have experienced. The return of power, gas mileage, and drop in heat output were all dramatic... so glad to have her back.

While I was hoping to get them to upgrade me to an Akropovic (splitting the cost diff), I'll take the new OEM. They are good guys in Santa Fe. Cameron Weckerley went out of his way to make sure all my concerns were addressed and that I left the situation with a free T-shirt and feeling good about BMW and my choice of bike.

Paul G

Oh... I've got 11k miles on the XCountry now at my 1 year anniversary and I remain very happy with my choice. Even though it's a 650, I feel it was a near perfect choice for a first bike, at least at the slightly used price I got it for (5800). It's running like a champ and is a sheer joy to ride, which I do almost every day as my commuter into town.

Getting a hair under 70mpg at 7000ft without a fairing, and can kick it to 90mph when I want it. What more could a guy ask for? :)

paul_g screwed with this post 08-31-2010 at 01:01 AM
paul_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #304
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
cut out

Model: Xchallenge
Year: 2007
ABS: No thanks
Mileage at time of issue: aprox 20,000 kilometers
Date of occurrence: August 2010
Modifications (if any) that could affect this issue: Bosch fuel injector. Part # 0 280 155 892 , staintune muffler, foam filter
Description of Failure(s): engine stutters and cuts out
Resolution (if any): TBA
Reference Thread:

I have read through the issues logs and I cant find any similar to what I am experiencing, so I think that my bike was afflicted by 2 problems. One is partially resolved

Heading out on a big ride a few weeks back, sprinting along the highway at about 60mph, I felt a barely perceptable blip . I would have forgotten about this if not for the subsequent issues.
A few days later, haeding along the highway again and blip, blip, stutter , cut out. I rolled to a stop presuming that I had run out of fuel. Hit the starter and the bike fired back into life. After confering with my mate we decided that perhaps this was just bad fuel, as he had a similar issue. But I had no similar problems immediately after that and I would think that bad fuel problems would prevail until bad fuel was removed. Afew days later again - highway. Stutter ,cut out; restart while coasting, probably about 20 - 30 time but the situation seemed to resolve itself.

Two weeks ago, when I open the throttle wide, the bike stutters and coughs but seems to work ok in the lower rev range.

A week ago the bike stopped only a few miles from home. After pulling it apart and testing various bit and pieces I found that I had no spark and very fortunately an knowledgable inmate gave me this advice: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1572 and as the picture suggest; yes I had fragments of my sprag clutch fouling the ignition pick up.

Oh yes! the Sprag clutch! wasnt that mentioned before somewhere dirtsurfer? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=173 - When I replaced the battery this (starting issue went away)

I cleaned the pickup and reassembled and tested it and I now have spark but the previous issue of stuttering and cutting out as exacepated to the point where the motor idles roughly but thats all ; any movement of the throttle will cause the engine to splutter and die.

I will have to replace my oil and filter to improve upon the "repair" to the ignition problem and optimaly replace the sprag clutch (which I believe wore out when I had a faulty battery)

There is a possibility that my issue is still related to the ignition or electrical system. I think I have convinced myself that its not fuel:
  • Fuel tank emptied and cleaned
  • Fuel replaced
  • Fuel filter checked, no trace of water or gunk
  • Fuel pump opperational
  • Injector cleaned and swapped for testing
  • Idle actuator cleaned
  • throttle removed , cleaned and checked
  • throttle position sensor disconnected for testing
  • Air box removed for testing

I will happily keep you all posted on my progress but it may take a while.

And here is the update http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...r#post14559450

dirtsurfer screwed with this post 12-11-2010 at 02:19 AM
dirtsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #305
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer
Year: 2007
ABS: No thanks
Mileage at time of issue: aprox 20,000 kilometers
Modifications (if any) that could affect this issue: Bosch fuel injector. Part # 0 280 155 892 , staintune muffler, foam filter
Description of Failure(s): engine stutters and cuts out
Resolution (if any): TBA
Reference Thread:

I have read through the issues logs and I cant find any similar to what I am experiencing, so I think that my bike was afflicted by 2 problems. One is partially resolved

Heading out on a big ride a few weeks back, sprinting along the highway at about 60mph, I felt a barely perceptable blip . I would have forgotten about this if not for the subsequent issues.
A few days later, haeding along the highway again and blip, blip, stutter , cut out. I rolled to a stop presuming that I had run out of fuel. Hit the starter and the bike fired back into life. After confering with my mate we decided that perhaps this was just bad fuel, as he had a similar issue. But I had no similar problems immediately after that and I would think that bad fuel problems would prevail until bad fuel was removed. Afew days later again - highway. Stutter ,cut out; restart while coasting, probably about 20 - 30 time but the situation seemed to resolve itself.

Two weeks ago, when I open the throttle wide, the bike stutters and coughs but seems to work ok in the lower rev range.

A week ago the bike stopped only a few miles from home. After pulling it apart and testing various bit and pieces I found that I had no spark and very fortunately an knowledgable inmate gave me this advice: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1572 and as the picture suggest; yes I had fragments of my sprag clutch fouling the ignition pick up.

Oh yes! the Sprag clutch! wasnt that mentioned before somewhere dirtsurfer? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=173 - When I replaced the battery this (starting issue went away)

I cleaned the pickup and reassembled and tested it and I now have spark but the previous issue of stuttering and cutting out as exacepated to the point where the motor idles roughly but thats all ; any movement of the throttle will cause the engine to splutter and die.

I will have to replace my oil and filter to improve upon the "repair" to the ignition problem and optimaly replace the sprag clutch (which I believe wore out when I had a faulty battery)

There is a possibility that my issue is still related to the ignition or electrical system. I think I have convinced myself that its not fuel:
  • Fuel tank emptied and cleaned
  • Fuel replaced
  • Fuel filter checked, no trace of water or gunk
  • Fuel pump opperational
  • Injector cleaned and swapped for testing
  • Idle actuator cleaned
  • throttle removed , cleaned and checked
  • throttle position sensor disconnected for testing
  • Air box removed for testing
I will happily keep you all posted on my progress but it may take a while.

Not to sound like a broken record, but have you disabled/bypass the sidestand safety switch?

Does the bike cut out and sputter when the bike is running and stopped, or when the bike is bieng ridden/moving......or both?

www.dakotadualsportriders.com
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #306
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
Not to sound like a broken record, but have you disabled/bypass the sidestand safety switch?
I read about joining the three wires together. I put aluminium foil into the loom side of the connector to effect joining the wires together, when I did this the bike did not run its usual start up sequence and the starter button did not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
Does the bike cut out and sputter when the bike is running and stopped, or when the bike is bieng ridden/moving......or both?
both
Old 09-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #307
NittanyRider
Walking Contradiction

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyRider
Thanks a lot, Muckpee and Snooker (and everyone else, too!), for posting the information about your stalling issues - I hope it helps me fix my stalling issues!

My '07 XChallenge is currently at the dealership (for the 3rd time) regarding stalling. The first time in the shop, they reset the adaptations, and gave the bike back to me, thinking the problem was solved. The cold stalling and stalling when accelerating from a stop or at low speed continued, so I brought the bike back and the computer said there was something wrong with the idle control, so they replaced it and gave me the bike back. Thankfully, the stalling problems I was having when accelerating from a stop or low speed have pretty much been resolved (more on this below...), but the cold stalling persisted, and was even worse than before the new idle control was installed. Anyway, I just heard from the service technician, and he said that there were no fault codes, and everything looked good, from an electronics standpoint, so they were going to open a "puma case" with BMW to get some input from them. I forwarded the link to this thread and asked the service manager to pass along the info to the mechanic, so we'll see what they find out.

So, in addition to the cold stalling, my XChall will also pericodically stall abruptly when I'm at a stop and just start to roll on the throttle and release the clutch, or if I'm making a turn (low speed/low rpm) and just as I roll on the throttle it wants to stall. This doesn't happen often, but it's happened enough to be more than just a fluke. Also, this stalling is much more likely to happen in warm/hot weather, and is accompanied by a uneven/surging idle.

Anyone have any ideas??
I just got my bike back yesterday, so I wanted to give a quick update... I haven't ridden it much (~1.5 hours), but during that time, I did not experience any of the stalling issues that I was previously experiencing. I'll knock on wood, but as of right now, the bike is "fixed"! My dealer had opened a PUMA case with BMW, so it was really the BMW techs/engineers who were calling the shots... here's what my local dealer was directed to do to my bike:

1) Clean idle actuator
2) Clean throttle body
3) Install new spark plugs
4) Install a new oxygen sensor (readings that they were getting were abnormal and BMW suspected that it was malfunctioning.
5) Clean the fuel injection and induction systems - BMW suggested doing this. Apparently there is a BMW service bulletin, which suggests doing this cleaning, if a bike is having stalling problems.

Everything but the plugs and injection/induction cleaning was covered under warranty, so in the end, I paid $160 out of pocket. I don't know if the cleaning, which cost $125, was really necessary, but the bike's warranty is going to expire in October, so I wanted to make sure I did everything possible to get this problem resolved by then.

As I said, the bike has been running great since I picked it up yesterday, and hopefully it will continue to do so!
NittanyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #308
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,700
Thanks for posting that.

Good to see your bike is up and going again and that the companies did what they had to to get it there.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #309
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Glad all is well with your ride!

My service manager replaced, under warranty, my 2009 shock (which had torn up bump stop) with a 2007 shock (which is taller).

Year: 2009
ABS: No
Mileage at time of issue: aprox 11,000 miles
Modifications (if any) that could affect this issue: n/a
Description of Failure(s): rubber bump stop at bottom of rear shock torn up
Resolution (if any): replaced under warranty with (requested) taller 2007 rear shock. Adjusted front forks in clamps and set new rear shock up for my weight. More clearance for tight twisties and bumpy roads, especially loaded for travel.
Reference Thread:

Torn up bump stop:

Taller seating and more ground clearance:

Old 09-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #310
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Torn bumper rubber ; that Sachs - sorry I couldnt help myself
Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #311
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Janet, that looks kinda tall. I think you need to post a few more pics of you tip-toeing it.
leafman60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #312
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Leafman,
The shock isn't broken in yet, and I didn't have my side bags on which carry tools, tubes, extra gas, etc. . . . Oh, and I wasn't wearing all my protective gear . . .

Here's one of me tip-toeing through the Dragon with the 2009 shock.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #313
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from Joisey
Leafman,
The shock isn't broken in yet, and I didn't have my side bags on which carry tools, tubes, extra gas, etc. . . . Oh, and I wasn't wearing all my protective gear . . .

Here's one of me tip-toeing through the Dragon with the 2009 shock.

Janet-
Thanks for the pics.
That's a good shot of an Xco in "sportbike" mode. Is it an optical illusion, or does the centerstand rob that much ground clearance? I know it has been discussed, and I'll search if I have to, but what bag is that and how is working out for you?

www.dakotadualsportriders.com
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #314
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Yes, like most bikes with centerstands, especially aftermarket stands, that is usually the low spot, so you can imagine it on the shorter 2009

With the taller 2007 shock, my shortened centerstand only works to get the wheels up with a board underneath the centerstand.

I am going to take it off and use the bike lift at home for chain maintenance and tire changing.

I will get one of those portable side-stand legs for travel tire work and order this Touratech hardpart to protect the side-stand mount from rocks, which the centerstand was doing.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/media/i...?size=original

The soft bags are Andy Strapps. I got them from AdventureWorkshop.
They seem to be a stronger material than the Ortliebs and seem more durable than Ortlieb's clip-to-the-frame system.
They have plenty of velcro type tie-downs to keep them secure to the pannier frame, hold a bunch of stuff, and expand up or roll down depending on what you need to carry. I usually pack my clothing in separate zip-loc bags inside a carry-off-the-bike bag inside of the Andy Strapps, so I don't always remove the Andry Strapps from the bike. The Ortliebs with clips are an easy/quick removal from the pannier frame.

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/m...RAPZ/PANNW.htm
Old 09-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #315
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Janet,

Did you have any issues with the side stand and the taller 07 shock? The parts fiche shows the 09 side stand to be 2 inches shorter than the 07.
Thanks
Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from Joisey
Glad all is well with your ride!

My service manager replaced, under warranty, my 2009 shock (which had torn up bump stop) with a 2007 shock (which is taller).
My Adventures on two wheels
Have You Had Your Pizza Today?
682202 is offline   Reply With Quote