User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #346
13darkhorse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
cold stall issues

Hello all, been a long while since posting. My 07 x country {9k} has had the intermit - cold stall issue since last season. {stall 3-4 times on intial start, then fine the rest of day}. Brought to dealer twice for this concern, one time got a computer update, but made no difference. After reading Muckpees deal I first removed and cleaned idle actuator. It made no difference. So then I removed and cleaned throttle body and actuator. Was a little gummed up but did not look like it would be the cause of problems. After reassembly and reset of actuator bike stalled even worse. So I figured "oh well, was worth a shot". Next day bike fires up and idles perfect. Then the next day. Its been almost a month since cleaning T/body and cold stall issue has not come back. I figure the computer had to re-learn values after disconnecting battery caused initial stalling after cleaning. So thanks to Muckpee for recomendation, and would recommend to others w/ same problem to try the same. The job was fairly easy and took maybe 2 hours. thanks guys 13Darkhorse
13darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #347
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
good info, thanks!
Niedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #348
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckpee
I have the same problem with my bike. I don't think its a warped rotor causing the problem. They replaced my rotor and put new pads. With new pads braking is smooth (so dealer thinks they fixed issue) but the bike develops pulsing quickly once again.

I however believe its the alignment of the floating caliper or uneven pad wear. I did some riding in the rain, with very hard front braking and within minutes of riding like that, all of the pulsing dissapeared. After normal riding though the pulsing comes back.

The only permenant remedy i have found is to always brake hard with the front. Doing this gets rid of the pusling as well as prevents it. Light braking seems to cause the pulsing.. But hard braking all the time is far from ideal

The pulsing also seems to stop when the brake pads wear down below 50%
interesting. i have noticed that i cant really feel the pulsing under heavy braking. the runout on the rotor i measured is not much, i cant imagine that it should be noticeable with a floating caliper, but for some reason i can.

im thinking ill get an aftermarket floating rotor, they resist warping well, and some new pads.
any recommendations on rotors?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #349
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkin640
If this bike can not run on up to 10% ethanol it is absolutely useless.
What a piece of crap, all our other bikes run fine on blend.
I even don't know if I can find ethanol free gas within the limited range of the bike.
All I would be doing is riding to and from the gas station.
How the hell do you take a trip? Sorry for the rant, but that's ridiculous. Hell, everything we own runs on blend.

One individual on the merged thread fest said he cleaned the actuator and the problem came back and was worse.
Seriously, BMW has no fix for this?

I suspect ours cant get any worse, I'll give it a try, as we are stuck with this thing.
I think we are getting off track a bit. Of course it will run on ethanol, but the side effect is that this may gunk up the idle actuator. I've had cold idle problems as well, but only for maybe 1 minute while cold (ok it's not freezing when I try it). It's not like you can't tour the world (ask Colebatch ), it runs fine after it is warmed up, it's just that it has an annoying problem and won't idle when cold (in my case).

I think muckpee is right and has had others verify it. I had the problem and in June had the dealer do his own diagnosis, took 2 trips to the dealer but finally he cleaned the idle actuator ( or throttle body, or not sure exactly what area). That fixed the problem for awhile, but now 3000 miles and 4 months later (October) it is back, and it is still not that cold in the morning when I start it.

How to fix it is the issue, muckpee was trying to find the source of the gunk, that's all. Any other fixes besides cleaning it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkin640
How do you get to this actuator? What has to come off?
I'd like to hear the short answer for this pleeez...

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #350
Muckpee
Noobie Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I have read on other websites that dirty brake pistons can cause uneven pad wear and/or uneven pad to rotor mating...leading to pulsing. This sounds like it could make sense for my situation if one of the pistons is hanging up a bit under light braking. Under heavy braking both pistons are likely working (from the high pressure).

I do alot of dirt and gravel roads so after 29000km it's atleast plausible the pistons are dirty..? Ill let you know how it goes after cleaning

(My front wheel rotates with out any noticible sticky spots on the rotor)
Old 10-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #351
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry aust
I have had 2 replacment disc's from BMW the second one only lasted 3000km,(first did 15000km) finaly brought an after market problem gone. 2 other "X" I ride with have both had problems with the front brake and it turned out to be the disc both times. Its what your willing to put up with but I preferred to bite the bullet and get a good quality after market so I could get out there and ride opposed to being told by the BMW dealer that the disc may have been hit or some other excuse
Did you get EBC or Galfer or ?? What part number?

There seems to be some confusion, I even called EBC and their 2010 catalog is suspect as they have a new part number but I think if you order an EBC front rotor you get the MD 650LS currently (same as on most older F650's).

I just put this EBC solid round rotor on a spare front wheel for street tires for my XCountry.

Question: I did NOT buy 6 of the thin composite washers that BMW calls "Anti Squeak" that go between the brake rotor and the wheel hub. They want $8 each! That's $50 for 6 of them! BringMyWallet sheesh! I don't see the big deal and don't see why the rotor would slip so that it would squeak? Am I wrong in not using them?

[UPDATE 10-28-10]: The full story on the EBC front rotor data is in this post. Also, the EBC tech guy says the washers are not for anti-squeaking but to minimize the corrosion between wheel hub and rotor, which can also make the old rotor hard to remove after it has been on awhile. I didn't use them.

snooker screwed with this post 10-28-2010 at 11:16 PM
Old 10-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #352
Muckpee
Noobie Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker
I think we are getting off track a bit. Of course it will run on ethanol, but the side effect is that this may gunk up the idle actuator. I've had cold idle problems as well, but only for maybe 1 minute while cold (ok it's not freezing when I try it). It's not like you can't tour the world (ask Colebatch ), it runs fine after it is warmed up, it's just that it has an annoying problem and won't idle when cold (in my case).

I think muckpee is right and has had others verify it. I had the problem and in June had the dealer do his own diagnosis, took 2 trips to the dealer but finally he cleaned the idle actuator ( or throttle body, or not sure exactly what area). That fixed the problem for awhile, but now 3000 miles and 4 months later (October) it is back, and it is still not that cold in the morning when I start it.

How to fix it is the issue, muckpee was trying to find the source of the gunk, that's all. Any other fixes besides cleaning it?
I'd like to hear the short answer for this pleeez...
Short answer: No

The gunk is obstructing the source of air for idling...the gunk needs to be removed. I cant see cleaners being effective as the gunk is before the fuel injector. Only fix is to remove the gunk manually or eliminate the build up.

The way I see it is the gunk can be 3 things..

1- The gunk is mainly unburnt ethanol.
Im not sold on this as the gunk is before the fuel injector and so would only be exposed to ethanol by fuel and air flowing in the wrong direction...

2- The gunk is mainly oil vapor.
This seems like it is definetly plausible. The crank case vent hose goes into the bottom of the airbox. There is also a coarse filter element inside the airbox that covers the hole for this breather hose. (The foam is covered in similar gunk.) These vapors could easily make its way to the throttle body and actuator.

3- Gunk could just be dirt/water that is coming in through the air filter/airbox leaks. Hope not.

Me? I don't trust that case venting hose and will be investigating soon.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #353
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Sprocket guard

Hey guys, who was making that nice engine sprocket guard a while back and showing it on here ? Are those still available ?
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:54 AM   #354
MTBiker78
ENDURO Wanabee

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60
Hey guys, who was making that nice engine sprocket guard a while back and showing it on here ? Are those still available ?
http://www.scheffelmeier-metall.de/

----------------
I have a new challange ..... X-Challenge ....

www.vimeo.com/mtbiker
http://picasaweb.google.com/lukasz.lechowicz/XChallenge
MTBiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #355
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy
Model: X-Country
Year: 2009
Mileage: 7600kms
ABS: yes
Date of Occurrence: started fall of 2009

I had some of the same issues as previously posted, bike wouldn't start after a short run, such as stopping for gas, short ferry rides. Fixed when dealer replaced battery, no other occurrences.

I had a warped front brake rotor. Bad pulsing when using the front brakes, dealer replaced under warranty as there was only 4800kms on it at the time.

Bike will not idle when it's cool out, this is intermittent. I believe it's the dirty idle actuator as posted by muckapee on the other X-Country thread. It's going to the dealer on Monday for a look. Hope that it gets fixed because its a pain in the arse.

Like the bike other than that. Although I am questioning BMW's build quality, with the previous bikes I've had, all Hondas, I never once had any issue, they ran perfect. I hope this is the last issue with my X. I love BMW's, I have had 3 of their cars and all were issue free.
Update: I had the bike back to the dealer, they replaced the idle actuator for me, works great now, no stalling, and starts up first time. They even gave me a loaner bike to use while I was waiting. Sucker me into 1200GS (sweet ride, but too much bike for what I want to do)
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #356
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Thanks Lucas
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #357
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckpee
I have read on other websites that dirty brake pistons can cause uneven pad wear and/or uneven pad to rotor mating...leading to pulsing. This sounds like it could make sense for my situation if one of the pistons is hanging up a bit under light braking. Under heavy braking both pistons are likely working (from the high pressure).

I do alot of dirt and gravel roads so after 29000km it's atleast plausible the pistons are dirty..? Ill let you know how it goes after cleaning

(My front wheel rotates with out any noticible sticky spots on the rotor)
that sounds like it makes sense. i have been a bicycle mechanic for 10+ years and work on oodles of hydraulic disc setups on MTBs. yes, sometimes the pistons get gunked up and one side will lag, deflecting the rotor. in this case since its a floating rotor and both pistons are outboard i can definitely image how just .005" of runout could cause pulsing it the pistons are not actuating equally under light to moderate braking pressure.
maybe ill get a rebuild kit and clean everything up.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #358
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

heres an ethanol/idle related question-

how many of you use an ethonal treatment when you fill up?
Old 10-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #359
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedz
heres an ethanol/idle related question-

how many of you use an ethonal treatment when you fill up?
What do you mean by "use an ethanol treatment"?

Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #360
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker
What do you mean by "use an ethanol treatment"?
the stuff that you put a capful in your tank with each fill-up