Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #376
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
I've reported problems with stalling, etc. wanted to update, although I can't provide as much detail as I would like...

My Russian mechanics had previously thrown up their hands trying to fix the stalling problem, but I asked them to have another go, and they seem to have fixed it by replacing the throttle body and a general cleaning of that area.

It's only been a few days so far, but so far so good, although it seems to idle fairly unevenly. I've reset the throttle a couple of times by turning the key with the throttle full open, that has seemed to help at bit. If the problem recurs, I will probably try to reset the adaptation values with the GS911, as suggested in this thread.

I also installed a hyperpro shock, which I think has transformed the bike (in a good way), handling and braking seem much better.

[EDIT] Thanks to everyone on this thread for all of the helpful tips!

motoreiter screwed with this post 11-15-2010 at 08:13 AM
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 AM   #377
michel700c
gone riding

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalmana
Hi there. I own a X moto and installed a new Leo Vince slip on model from Motostrano. After that the bike refuses to idle correctly and stalls at every light. Also when I'm circulating in lower gears at low speed it stalls sometimes. My question is if you guys are aware of any specific adjustment I hould make to my bike to avoid this situation. I love the sound and quality of the Leo Vince exhaust but the stalling is becoming annoying. This does not happen with the stock setup. I haven't find, in this thread, anybody complaining about this situation. Any help or tip you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
When I bought the LeoVince for my 650X, the dealer strongly suggested that I disconnect the battery during the installation (and then reconnect of course) so that the fuel injection control module would make required adjustments for the new exhaust. You might try that...
michel700c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #378
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,383
Model: XCountry
Year: 2007
ABS: yes
Mileage at time of issue: 6000 miles
Date of occurrence: Nov. 27 2010
Modifications (if any): Wilbers 642 shock
Description of Failure(s): Oh just the REAR SWINGARM SNAPPED IN HALF on both sides on a simple dirt road!
Resolution (if any): see below for details.

5 months out of warranty, I weigh 190 and never a passenger or big bags. See below for more details than you would ever want to know.

Here is my initial full description of this issue.
Here is my full resolution of this issue with BMW, but basically I have accepted BMW NA's 2nd offer: that BMW will pay for the parts necessary to replace the swingarm, and I will pay for the labor at a BMW dealership. I have answered a lot more questions in that post, so if you are really interested then please check it out.

Another XCountry swingarm failure in Germany is described at:
http://www.sr-online.de/fernsehen/453/1006186-3.html (you can use Google toolbar in your browser to translate for you).

Also, supposedly Simon Pavey broke a XChallenge swingarm while racing (see in this thread)

Case closed! (or let's say I'm burned out from research, emails, phone calls and typing here on ADV!).

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 04-01-2011 at 03:05 PM Reason: minor typo
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #379
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Model: XCountry
Year: 2007
ABS: yes
Mileage at time of issue: 6000 miles
Date of occurrence: Nov. 27 2010
Modifications (if any): Wilbers 642 shock
Description of Failure(s): Oh just the REAR SWINGARM SNAPPED IN HALF on both sides on a simple dirt road!
Resolution (if any): None yet. 5 months out of warranty, BMW is only offering half off parts cost, nothing off of labor.

Here is a full description of this issue.
"Just how big a boy are you?" (stole that quote from some radio funny man.)

I hit 240 not too long ago.. I'm 6'5" so it's spread out, but I would suspect the the total load (rider, gear) might have something to do with it..

My XC fell off the lift this summer, and I have a deep scratch in the swingarm about where yours broke.. Yikes.. Oh well, I love the bike and I've been through some crazy stuff going too fast several times since.

Hope BMW comes around and comes through for you..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #380
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser View Post
"

I hit 240 not too long ago.. I'm 6'5" so it's spread out,

I will have to remember that one, very funny!
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #381
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post

I will have to remember that one, very funny!
Hey, I've just got heavy bones.. Besides I have a great personality, and I make all my own clothes..

Wait til after Christmas, I may be lookin at 250..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #382
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:

Wait til after Christmas, I may be lookin at 250..
You bulking up for a movie role?
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #383
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
"Just how big a boy are you?" (stole that quote from some radio funny man.)

I hit 240 not too long ago.. I'm 6'5" so it's spread out, but I would suspect the the total load (rider, gear) might have something to do with it..

My XC fell off the lift this summer, and I have a deep scratch in the swingarm about where yours broke.. Yikes.. Oh well, I love the bike and I've been through some crazy stuff going too fast several times since.

Hope BMW comes around and comes through for you..
Nope, 190 never a passenger or any heavy bags, prolly 20 pounds of tools, that is not the issue, check my links above for the full story.

Let's keep this thread short and sweet, this is being discussed a LOT in other threads.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #384
Delta61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Fixed Mine

Had the stalling and rough idle problem. Pulled the idle actuator and cleaned with Q tips(12) and carb/choke cleaner. Put it back together then cut the crankcase hose going to the air box and plugged that end. Took janets advice and went to Auto Zone and got a $10 air filter and 3/8" double barb splice and this is how it looks.

So far no stalling and or rough idle. Has been 600-700 miles and temps here in Southern Alabama down to low 20s

Will update if problem comes back

Jim

10 1200 GSA
07 X Challenge
04 1150 GS(SOLD)
Delta61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #385
wolfster
wolfster

Oddometer: 206
WOW! What great info about the crankcase vent.I got all the parts and will be doing mine next week.Thanks for sharing this fix.
wolfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #386
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfster View Post
WOW! What great info about the crankcase vent.I got all the parts and will be doing mine next week.Thanks for sharing this fix.
+1
That is great stuff, you should ask Gadget Boy to add it to the main sticky thread perhaps! I'll be checking it out this winter.

P.S. don't go through deep creeks with this setup :)

Old 12-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #387
SoTxRattlesnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I did something sililar to my X-Moto about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I used the same filter but my hose is shorter and the filter is mounted in the up-right position.
Have you experienced any soiling of the filter from blowby? Mine seems to be turning black from it and i only put a coule of hundred miles on it like this. I am guessing its being caused from the shorter length (the oil not sticking to the sides of the hose before reaching the filter element).
If this length is working, I can do that, but if not, I may reroute it even further (maybe under the seat??????)

One other note...... My cold start issue went away for a couple of days, but I have been gone for the last 2 weeks. When I started up this morning, it died several times. Temperature here is low 30's this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta61 View Post
Had the stalling and rough idle problem. Pulled the idle actuator and cleaned with Q tips(12) and carb/choke cleaner. Put it back together then cut the crankcase hose going to the air box and plugged that end. Took janets advice and went to Auto Zone and got a $10 air filter and 3/8" double barb splice and this is how it looks.

So far no stalling and or rough idle. Has been 600-700 miles and temps here in Southern Alabama down to low 20s

Will update if problem comes back

Jim
SoTxRattlesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #388
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,216
Did I miss something, has it been concluded that the crankcase vent is a/the culprit, for dirtying up the t-body innards? Tapping it with a filter instead of having it route to the airbox might be a good idea, but I don't think it proves anything, yet.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #389
Delta61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Fix

Probably not the absolute fix but having pulled the idle actuator this weekend to check the cleanliness it was still clean and didn't have all the gunk in it like before.

The pictures that i posted were the ones i took when i first did the mod. I have since also ran the hose and filter to an upright and higher position to avoid the creek crossing possibilities.

Yes the filter gets a little blackish but that tells me that at least its not getting to the idle actuator due to the cleanliness of mine with the mod.

Jim

10 1200 GSA
07 X Challenge
04 1150 GS(SOLD)
Delta61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #390
SoTxRattlesnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I am also running a little different fuel mix than straight out of the pump..... nothing special, just a little ChemTool for cleaning and a little Mystery Oil for lubrication.
I also use the prime twice, twist twice, prime twice start process.

I wouldn't say any of it is absolute, but I can tell ya that i just went out after 4 hours and it cranked right up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta61 View Post
Probably not the absolute fix but having pulled the idle actuator this weekend to check the cleanliness it was still clean and didn't have all the gunk in it like before.

The pictures that i posted were the ones i took when i first did the mod. I have since also ran the hose and filter to an upright and higher position to avoid the creek crossing possibilities.

Yes the filter gets a little blackish but that tells me that at least its not getting to the idle actuator due to the cleanliness of mine with the mod.

Jim
SoTxRattlesnake is offline   Reply With Quote