Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #406
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Speedo wheel setting (17" is correct setting).
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #407
dustdonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool View Post
Speedo wheel setting (17" is correct setting).
'58 R50
'85 R80G/S PD (sold )
dustdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #408
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
LED turn signals

Hey there - been searching on the bike, in the manual, and online for this topic: is there something that needs changing when installing LED turn signals in place of the OEM ones? I bough an LED flasher relay but don't see where the OEM one fits...thoughts? Anyone install LED turn signals and the flashing rate went well without any alterations?

FYI: when I installed LEDs on my truck I changed the flasher relay but I knew where it was

Thanks in advance (and apologies for the cross-post, just trying to get the maximum feedback)

Nadim
Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 AM   #409
QUIRKSM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Disco- you need to put a resistor inline to the leds to provide enough resistance for the flasher to work properly. I just left mine alone, it blinks faster but i figure that will get peoples attention more so than the regular speed.

Year-2007
Model-G650X challenge
Mods-unifilter and remus titanium
Mileage-13500

Problem-I noticed air bubbles in my oil resevior after a ride the other day. Wondering if this is normal operation because of the oil moving from the engine to the resevoir or if it is a sign of something wrong. I have never really payed that much attention to if there was bubbles or not before.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #410
QUIRKSM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Well I've been searching around and have found many cases where people are saying that small bubbles in the oil is normal for this engine, so i guess I"m just being paranoid. It still seems like something is off though, I'll change the oil and check a few more things this weekend and if i don't see anything obvious i'll say screw it and ride.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #411
Don't shoot me!!!
Snowflakes are cold...

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
Hey there - been searching on the bike, in the manual, and online for this topic: is there something that needs changing when installing LED turn signals in place of the OEM ones? I bough an LED flasher relay but don't see where the OEM one fits...thoughts? Anyone install LED turn signals and the flashing rate went well without any alterations?

FYI: when I installed LEDs on my truck I changed the flasher relay but I knew where it was

Thanks in advance (and apologies for the cross-post, just trying to get the maximum feedback)

Nadim

The flasher relay is a buildt inn unit in the dash...
Don't shoot me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #412
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572

I cut into the fitted end of the #4 hose where it points to towards the engine and now it leaks a bit. May not be a worry but like things neat and...not leaking. The cost is about $17.00 so may order another but curious if anyone has replaced this hose with one from a yamahondazuki shop, autozone etc.
I split it using a dremel to get the "special tool required" hose clamp off to replace them with... the simpler ones shown on the fiche. Funny the ones I cut off aren't the ones they have here.

Thanks folks
Old 04-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #413
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post

I cut into the fitted end of the #4 hose where it points to towards the engine and now it leaks a bit. May not be a worry but like things neat and...not leaking. The cost is about $17.00 so may order another but curious if anyone has replaced this hose with one from a yamahondazuki shop, autozone etc.
I split it using a dremel to get the "special tool required" hose clamp off to replace them with... the simpler ones shown on the fiche. Funny the ones I cut off aren't the ones they have here.

Thanks folks
any leak is definitely a problem
I marked my hose trying to fit my TT tank. Is that how you damaged yours?
I would like to replace my hoses with silicone hose to provide added protection against the hot header issue
Agree it would be interesting to know of any non-BMW hoses that might fit.....anyone??
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:29 AM   #414
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
any leak is definitely a problem
I marked my hose trying to fit my TT tank. Is that how you damaged yours?
I would like to replace my hoses with silicone hose to provide added protection against the hot header issue
Agree it would be interesting to know of any non-BMW hoses that might fit.....anyone??
No, I was just cutting them to replace them with the easier "no special tool required" clamp.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #415
Muckpee
Noobie Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
headlight clampy thing failure!

Model: (xCountry)
Year:2007
ABS:ya man
Mileage at time of issue:30.5k
Date of occurrence:
Modifications (if any):

Description of Failure(s): Clamp thing that holds headlight bulb to the back of the headlight glass has seperated. Two of the four tiny little indents in the thin metal have given way. Now the bulb floats around giveing me about 3 feet of visibility at night...

Resolution (if any): Drill and tap a few tiny screws into the bulb holder metal??? No way im paying ~300$ for new headlight assembly!
EDIT: JB WELDED
This happen to anyone else?

PS: Checked my idle actuator valve (its been about 500km) and it only had a very thin layer of black sooty buildup sso far. (Removing right side cover provides direct access to the idle actuator)

Muckpee screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 06:14 PM
Muckpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #416
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post

Nadim
I think you just need a resistor for each pair, something like this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LED-Bulb-Turn...item43a6af1a10
Old 05-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #417
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Thanks - I decided to keep them as is with a faster blink rate...not gonna lose sleep over it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer View Post
I think you just need a resistor for each pair, something like this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LED-Bulb-Turn...item43a6af1a10
Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #418
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

I put the LED inserts in that "cooksabit" and employee sells - front and back. They had a fast rate until I cranked the bike just to see. I think the battery was a tad low on charge. Engine running - no problem, but maybe a faster rate will get folks attention better anyway.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #419
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
I put the LED inserts in that "cooksabit" and employee sells - front and back. They had a fast rate until I cranked the bike just to see. I think the battery was a tad low on charge. Engine running - no problem, but maybe a faster rate will get folks attention better anyway.
Yeah his inserts have built in resistors
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #420
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,227
Battey - Ignition Switch - Fork Seals

So here's the poop: Fork seals were blown. Brought the bike in as I didn't have time to do them myself. To my surprise they were covered under warranty. I have about 3 weeks left. Had them also check the battery as I was starting to experience difficult starting after stopping for a bit, e.g. for gas. Sure enough, the battery was not holding a charge. This was the 3rd battery from BMW ... but they were not going to warranty it. I had to get a battery right then as I was heading out on a over-nighter, otherwise I would have waited for a Odyssey.

And wouldn't you know it, I got stranded by the ignition switch at my first gas stop as I was heading out to meet some guys for a ride and camp. At first I thought it was a bum battery, but a little jiggle to the wires going up into the key switch caused the instrument panel to tweak out (that's a technical electrical term ). Well crap. And, well, I'm glad to have read about this problem right here in this thread. And, luckiliy, there was an auto parts store right next door. Went in and bought a toggle switch, some 10 g wire and 4 alligator clips. I needed to make some jumper cables as I drained the battery trying to coax it to start.

I will of course be bringing the bike in to get BMW to pay for a new switch. I'll grumble about the battery again too.

Below are a couple pics of the surgery and temporary ignition switch. Got that all buttoned up, and then plugged into a donor battery on a Harley to get started. Tim in Yelp, WA, was nice enought to come back with his bike after noticing me wiring things up.