Old 05-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #421
Koof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckpee View Post
*** pictures here
http://picasaweb.google.com/mmik3p/G...eat=directlink

Ok so I've been reading about the idle actuator and there seems to be alot of evidence on the web that this might be the culprit causing idle stalls and hard starting.

I also found this (from http://www.bmw-motorrad.no/no/no/bik...lenge_2008.pdf)

"The idle actuator is posi-
tioned after you switch on
the ignition. The coolant-tem-
perature warning light flashes
if the idle actuator has not cor-
rectly positioned before the pre-
ride check completes. In order
to avoid subsequent problems,
wait for this process to complete
before proceeding."

So I turned key on my bike and tried to listen for the actuator to no avail. BUT i noticed if you hold the throttle wide open while turning the key on - wait - then turn the key off, you can here the idle actuator making some noise. Seemed wierd.

I had already pulled the top half of my airbox and was surprised at all the dirt in there (Time for different air filter!!) so i thought I might as well pull the actuator (5 minutes earlier i didnt even know what an idle actuator was).

take a look at the pics, needless to say its quite dirty and STICKY dirty. I was just going to clean it but figure theres alot more dirt in the ports that this this works in. You can see the dirt in the hole but im going to pull the entire throttle body because i'd bet a pretty penny that bottom tube that goes from the actuator port to the injector side of the intake is filled with grime.

I also turned the key on normally, actuator does nothing. But when I do the holding the throttle thing, after i turn off the key the actuator tries to stick out as far as it can. If I squeeze it a bit it senses the force and backs off a bit (as if recalibrating itself). This recalibration however might not work if theres alot of sticky grime in there.

I'm going to clean everything.

But, it'd be interesting for somebody with the ildling stalling issue to hold the throttle wide open, turn the key on, - wait -, turn the key off, - wait, and then start the bike and see if it makes any difference. I would think it should but might not if theres too much sticky grime in the actuator.

I know other people have been installing oiled foam air filters but I didnt want to go that route as I like the low maintence/clean paper filter idea...ill have to rethink that one i guess..

I've recently been experiencing the stalling at idle issue, not to any extreme however with a 10 day trip coming in less than a month... I'm trying to get it rectified.

Model: X Challenge
Year: 2007
ABS: no
Mileage at time of issue: 5,000
Date of occurrence: last couple of months
Modifications (if any): None
Description of Failure(s): Stalling at idle
Resolution (if any): Dealer registered two fault codes: Crank Position Sensor and Idle Actuator... they are currently trying to diagnose the causes (Hopefully they get it right this time as today is the last day of warranty )
Koof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #422
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
i was having a lot of cold starting/stalling issues.
when i took my bike in for the 6000mi tune i mentioned this to them.

they think it was the battery. it had already been replaced previously under the battery campaign, luckily the battery had a 2 year warranty so i got a new one.

they can't be sure it was the battery however bc they also cleaned out the throttle body and idle actuator bc my air filter had been compromised. They installed a K&N.

But either way it doesnt stall anymore on cold starts!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #423
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedz View Post
i was having a lot of cold starting/stalling issues.
when i took my bike in for the 6000mi tune i mentioned this to them.

they think it was the battery. it had already been replaced previously under the battery campaign, luckily the battery had a 2 year warranty so i got a new one.

they can't be sure it was the battery however bc they also cleaned out the throttle body and idle actuator bc my air filter had been compromised. They installed a K&N.

But either way it doesnt stall anymore on cold starts!
From my experience and from reading posts... I do NOT think it is the battery causing the cold stalling issue, don't know about cold starting - that is different.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #424
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
stalling

Guys, me and a few others have had the same stalling issue and it's been a broken soldered connection on the back of the ignition barrel (the connection that is make or break by the ignition key). It gave the same symptons as a duff battery.

Cheers
Pete

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt

mcgiggle screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 06:43 AM Reason: just read the above post, sorry for repeat :)
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #425
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,228
Update: BMW fixed this, replaced the ignition switch under warranty. You might think "Well, of course", but it wasn't that simple. Warranty coverage was first denied because I had "modified" the ignition wiring. I was told that I should have called BMW roadside assistance and been towed to a BMW motorcycle dealer. To which I hypothetically asked, what if I was 100 miles off the beaten path? "Well, sir, we've come out quite far to rescue stranded riders." And so I was to forgo my trip instead, to have my bike sit in the shop for a week while the part was ordered? "Well, your modification could have damaged the electronics of the motorcycle." So ... can you explain to me, for my own education, how this modification could damage the electronics? The key switch, all it does, is connect those wires--it completes the circuit, if you will. I even disconnected the battery during this field repair. ... Anyway, you get the picture ... I remained relatively calm and civil while staying my ground and essentially saying that's a bunch of effin bullshit and they are just looking for a reason to deny coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
So here's the poop: Fork seals were blown. Brought the bike in as I didn't have time to do them myself. To my surprise they were covered under warranty. I have about 3 weeks left. Had them also check the battery as I was starting to experience difficult starting after stopping for a bit, e.g. for gas. Sure enough, the battery was not holding a charge. This was the 3rd battery from BMW ... but they were not going to warranty it. I had to get a battery right then as I was heading out on a over-nighter, otherwise I would have waited for a Odyssey.

And wouldn't you know it, I got stranded by the ignition switch at my first gas stop as I was heading out to meet some guys for a ride and camp. At first I thought it was a bum battery, but a little jiggle to the wires going up into the key switch caused the instrument panel to tweak out (that's a technical electrical term ). Well crap. And, well, I'm glad to have read about this problem right here in this thread. And, luckiliy, there was an auto parts store right next door. Went in and bought a toggle switch, some 10 g wire and 4 alligator clips. I needed to make some jumper cables as I drained the battery trying to coax it to start.

I will of course be bringing the bike in to get BMW to pay for a new switch. I'll grumble about the battery again too.

Below are a couple pics of the surgery and temporary ignition switch. Got that all buttoned up, and then plugged into a donor battery on a Harley to get started. Tim in Yelp, WA, was nice enought to come back with his bike after noticing me wiring things up.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #426
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
Update: BMW fixed this, replaced the ignition switch under warranty. You might think "Well, of course", but it wasn't that simple. Warranty coverage was first denied because I had "modified" the ignition wiring. I was told that I should have called BMW roadside assistance and been towed to a BMW motorcycle dealer. To which I hypothetically asked, what if I was 100 miles off the beaten path? "Well, sir, we've come out quite far to rescue stranded riders." And so I was to forgo my trip instead, to have my bike sit in the shop for a week while the part was ordered? "Well, your modification could have damaged the electronics of the motorcycle." So ... can you explain to me, for my own education, how this modification could damage the electronics? The key switch, all it does, is connect those wires--it completes the circuit, if you will. I even disconnected the battery during this field repair. ... Anyway, you get the picture ... I remained relatively calm and civil while staying my ground and essentially saying that's a bunch of effin bullshit and they are just looking for a reason to deny coverage.
I guess the lesson here is to arrive at the dealer before they open and spend an hour removing all evidence of emergency repairs before you push it into the shop. If they ask how you got there, tell 'em your friend has a trailer. Heaven forbid we rescue ourselves in the backcountry.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #427
Kalts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Model: xCountry
ABS: Yes
Mileage at time of issue: 25450 km.
Date of occurrence: July 10th 2011
Modifications (if any): Touratech steel gear lever
Description of Failure(s): Cannot separate swingarm from the bike because right-hand bearing pin is stuck in the bushing.
Resolution (if any): Find a friendly mechanic with the skills and appropriate vocabulary, then attack with automotive tire iron and some elbow grease.
Reference Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5388

Kalts screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 03:35 AM Reason: resolution added
Kalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #428
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 472
hot stalling.

2007 x moto
mods. bmc filter
remus ehaust.
booster plug.
oddessy battery

not a big problem as im pretty sure a number of factors or ,mods could cause this. i really am just seeing if others have experienced this.. im sitting in traffic in 90 degree weather . the fan is running. i can see the voltage start to go down. sometimes i try to blip the throttle. but sometime whether i do or not. the bike will idle real low and stall out.i doenst do it in the morning when its cooler . or when its less traffic. but when its hot . enough to have the fan run a lot. and im not really moving. sometimes it will just stall.i can hear the idle getting goofy .so i can usually prevent it.. but ive narrowed it down to. battery....fan sucking all the juice while im not moving. (i think i may have got a monday morning oddessy anyway).
or booster plug making it to rich. which i doubt. im not even tallking high 90 over 100 air temps. just the bike getting hotter in stop and go traffic. btw usually if it cuts out once. it wont do it again for the remainder of commute.. ive cleaned idle actuator. reset computer and tps. nothing helped.btw . my idle also gets worse when im on reserve light gas. it doesnt stall but feels the same as when its about too. i know the pump is cooled by fuel. but with my mpg only being 45. i usually only get gas after 100 miles. okay that is all. thanks for reading. comments sugestions appreciated.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #429
Kalts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
bottom chain takeup roller

Description of Failure(s): The bearings of bottom chain takeup roller are shot.
Resolution (if any):
Reference Thread:
Kalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #430
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Drain hose out of the bottom of air cleaner housing dry rotted.

Model: xChallenge
ABS: No
Mileage at time of issue: 25,000 miles
Date of occurrence: July 1st 2011
Modifications (if any):Used gas line I had.
Description of Failure(s): Drain hose out of the bottom of air cleaner housing dry rotted.

Pics below

2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #431
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalts View Post
Resolution (if any):
Reference Thread:

There was a recall on the rollers on some models.
Snooker posted the link to the notice last year:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...e&refurl=email
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #432
QUIRKSM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Yeah but that was for the upper roller.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #433
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
any leak is definitely a problem
I marked my hose trying to fit my TT tank. Is that how you damaged yours?
I would like to replace my hoses with silicone hose to provide added protection against the hot header issue
Agree it would be interesting to know of any non-BMW hoses that might fit.....anyone??
Mine got damaged in an off, got nicked just above the bottom clamp which correspondingly just happen to be above the top of my bash plate ..... such is life doesnt take long to lose fluid either
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #434
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalts View Post
Resolution (if any):
Reference Thread:
i've gone through a couple of sets,sometimes though the bearing nearest the head of the bolt gets stuck to the bolt and just needs cleaning to free it up
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #435
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from Joisey View Post
There was a recall on the rollers on some models.
Snooker posted the link to the notice last year:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...e&refurl=email
I think the recall is on the upper one though, as I recall

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote