Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #571
ARozanski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Solved - it was the clutch lever. Silly Tiger, using Japanese levers on a German bike
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #572
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARozanski View Post
Solved - it was the clutch lever. Silly Tiger, using Japanese levers on a German bike

It always seems it's those simple things that take so much time/energy to solve.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #573
macrocephalic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
That really puzzles me. Last year when some bastard knocked over my parked bike and broke the clutch lever, I took the lever off my XT600 -which kind of fit- and used it for about 6 weeks until I got around to replacing it.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #574
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARozanski View Post
Thank you so much Tony for all your help. I could never find a friend as awesome as you again no matter how long I looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post

It always seems it's those simple things that take so much time/energy to solve.
Thanks for the pm with things to check Marc. I went with the Suzuki lever from the XChallenge index thread and thought for $11 how could you go wrong? I'll be buying the proper set from Wunderlich this week.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #575
ARozanski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocephalic View Post
That really puzzles me. Last year when some bastard knocked over my parked bike and broke the clutch lever, I took the lever off my XT600 -which kind of fit- and used it for about 6 weeks until I got around to replacing it.
You must have gotten lucky with the lever profile, there is a pronounced bump on the original, and this was lacking on the Suzuki lever.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #576
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
any one any idea why my bike wont idle when cold but is ok when hot .
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #577
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Xmoto. ~55k km.

I too have the warm start problem (where it will crank over forever but never fire after filling up with fuel). I've had it intermittently since getting the bike, but it seems to be worst when it's raining - I seem to always be stuck at a fuel station in the rain.

If the bike is hot and not stopped for too long then it's fine. If the bike is cold then it's fine. It seems that the time it takes to fill up and pay for fuel is the sweet spot for making it fail.

The other day I had it fail on me, and after cranking for a few minutes I decided to roll start it. I rolled it down a large hill, in third, and the engine was rotating at a decent speed for probably 10 seconds total - and not one fire. After pushing it back to the top of the hill it magically started again.

The sticking injector theory is interesting. I might try a bottle of injector cleaner followed by the 2-stroke oil idea and see how it goes (I already have a new set of plugs waiting for when they get fouled).

I'm also going to be more diligent with putting it on the trickle charger overnight (although I do ride it 5+ days a week) in a pretty warm environment.

I'm certainly less than impressed with the reliability from a ~BMW~ (it seems to be more aprilia than bmw)

Same here. Mine has (thus far) been resolved by cleaning the idle valve (wasn't dirty at all), keeping it on the tender, and running Marvel Mystery Oil in every tank.

When I ran into the issue, it never failed to start by holding the starter button at half-throttle.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #578
macrocephalic
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Same here. Mine has (thus far) been resolved by cleaning the idle valve (wasn't dirty at all), keeping it on the tender, and running Marvel Mystery Oil in every tank.

When I ran into the issue, it never failed to start by holding the starter button at half-throttle.
The half throttle trick normally works for me as well, but occasionally not. I have an idea about putting a small secondary battery and diode in so the voltage to the ECU stays up when it's cranking - because I think that's the main problem.

At the moment it's working fine with the idle solenoid cleaned and put on the battery tender each night. Now I need to get a second battery tender since I stole this one from my XT.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #579
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
The half throttle trick normally works for me as well, but occasionally not. I have an idea about putting a small secondary battery and diode in so the voltage to the ECU stays up when it's cranking - because I think that's the main problem.

At the moment it's working fine with the idle solenoid cleaned and put on the battery tender each night. Now I need to get a second battery tender since I stole this one from my XT.
I did the same thing...here is my second battery tender:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Grab a SAE to Powerlet adapter and just charge the battery from the Powerlet port if you already aren't doing so...makes it super easy to connect/disconnect.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #580
macrocephalic
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
I did the same thing...here is my second battery tender:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Grab a SAE to Powerlet adapter and just charge the battery from the Powerlet port if you already aren't doing so...makes it super easy to connect/disconnect.
I actually have a wall wart version of that already, it came with two battery connectors, one's installed on each bike - I'm just too lazy to climb over everything to switch it from one bike to the other every day
Old 05-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #581
mcgarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
ABS light not working

Model: xChallenge
Year: 2007
ABS: Yes
Mileage at time of issue: Unknown, currently 92xx
Date of occurrence: Just noticed shortly after buying bike, might have been this way at time of purchase.
Modifications (if any): None before issue.
Description of Failure(s): ABS light not working
Resolution (if any):
Reference Thread:

I noticed that my ABS light isn't working when I tried to turn off the ABS. ABS itself does work and can be turned off/on, but the light isn't coming on at all even at startup. It's possible the bike already did this when I bought it a few months ago. I would like to avoid replacing the entire gauge cluster.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #582
macrocephalic
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
Model: xChallenge
Year: 2007
ABS: Yes
Mileage at time of issue: Unknown, currently 92xx
Date of occurrence: Just noticed shortly after buying bike, might have been this way at time of purchase.
Modifications (if any): None before issue.
Description of Failure(s): ABS light not working
Resolution (if any):
Reference Thread:

I noticed that my ABS light isn't working when I tried to turn off the ABS. ABS itself does work and can be turned off/on, but the light isn't coming on at all even at startup. It's possible the bike already did this when I bought it a few months ago. I would like to avoid replacing the entire gauge cluster.
My bike has a dead LED in the cluster for the right indicator. The PO put a separate light on the edge of the cluster for roadworthy reasons. I have heard of others having issues with LEDs in the cluster dying. If you're brave then you might be able to open it and solder a new one on... I haven't bothered though.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #583
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I have found a 2009 X-Country for $4000 and 2700 miles on it to buy. The bike is owned by someone who I know and I do know that he has had the hot starting issue. I have owned a 2001 650 Dakar before and never had any of these issues that for some reason I just don't know if I want this bike. It's hard to believe that this bikes have so many problems when earlier models didn't. I do think that ethanol fuels are probably the biggest problems with these bikes, but how come my 01 Dakar never had them when it ran on ethanol. The new Husky 650's seem to not have these problems and it BMW 650 powered. I would just buy the Husky, but since BMW sold Husky to KTM owner who knows what will happen to the Husky 650. I just don't know if I want to buy the bike and deal with all the problems that these bike have, at 68 I really just want to ride and not work on them.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #584
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,303
Actually, there are numerous reports of 2000-2001 F650s having "surging" issues related to the FI. Some early TR650s also had cold start issues, but they are easily remedied with an updated ECM flash.

It's easy to get jaded reading a problem thread about a particular bike and getting a skewed view as to it's reliability. The fact is, the X bikes are pretty darn reliable, but certainly not perfect. A big reason is due to the short production run not allowing time to work the bugs out of a new bike. Because of the numerous battery recalls, the X bikes further had their reliability questioned. But once the bikes had the Exide batteries replaced, the vast majority of problems disappeared. I can't imagine there is still an X bike anywhere with an Exide battery.

Other than a bad battery, my bike has been totally reliable over 10K miles. But others have suffered through some FI issues. Many of those were fairly easily remedied. Others had a much more difficult time.

If the bike you're looking at is running well at this point, I would expect it to be every bit as reliable as your Dakar. But if it already has some drivability issues, I would want to be sure I could get that sorted before I bought it. YMMV.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #585
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Butters, thanks on the reply, my 2001 Dakar was manufactured after the Jan. 2001 change date for the upgraded fuel injector and it never had the 3800-4000 rpm surge. I understand the battery issues, not really a BMW engineering problem, but why all the other running problems and it's 9 years latter for this engine and electronics. I purchased the new Honda CRF250L and it's light years ahead of the 650 BMW's for just an extra bike to ride, what can I say, it's a Honda. Anyway I just got back from riding the BMW650XC and it runs fine at this time, couldn't find any issues and the owner had just replaced the battery four months ago, but did admit that he had the hot start issue, and the stalling when cold, but not at the present time, the dealer did replace some parts and that he said corrected the problem. Still undecided at this time.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote