Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #46
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
When you jump or come down from a wheelie, the stand may deploy enough to cut the engine off. That can be as destructive to your hide as riding off with the side stand deployed.

BTW, if you were to ride off and make a left turn, the stand would probably just retract. I don't suggest you experiment, but before these switches existed, I did it a few times w/o anything worse than a peanut cracker.
I've read where it (crashing because the sidestand was down at speed) was one the highest causes of fatal motorcycle accidents before the switches became mandatory.

I could see where the stand might come down during a jump, but couldn't you just use a nylon zip-tie or two to secure it during an enduro race or MX session? I had no problems with my TW's stand after getting airborn
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #47
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,327
I don't know about you guys, but once I put my weight on the seat, the kickstand is hitting the ground even with the bike straight up. I don't think I would get very far without noticing. It's not like I'm a big guy (5'8", 170 pounds). I think it is just a long kick stand and the airbag rear suspension droops (90psi). I have the steel kickstand if that makes any difference.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:47 AM   #48
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,385
Being one who has come off the Xc and ended up in hospital. I had forgotten to ask BMW to disconnect the side stand switch when I took delivery of this bike. Those who found me out to it on a farm track said it was a big bump that I must have gone over. I'm not blaming the stand switch as I don't know what happen as I was out to it for 8 hours, but it could have been or a sheep that ran out in front of me or my bad riding skills.
Just try opening a farm gates with the side stand zip tied up
Old 08-13-2009, 01:59 AM   #49
BarryM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoucheBag
Description of Failure(s): Bike shuts off when, (20% of the time), coming to a quick stop

This is/was a common fault on XT660s. The explanation was that the idle speed set in the ECU was say 1600rpm, and yet in a low gear, maybe 1st or 2nd when coming to rest, before dipping the clutch your revs would drop below 1600 so the ECU said 'game over' and killed the engine.

The fix IIRC was to reduce the idle by 100 to 1500rpm, which in the case of the XT660 could be done through the instrument panel I think. Either way that seemed to fix it for lots of folk.

I wonder if this is what we are seeing here?
08 XCountry
BarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #50
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chord
I've read where it (crashing because the sidestand was down at speed) was one the highest causes of fatal motorcycle accidents before the switches became mandatory.

I could see where the stand might come down during a jump, but couldn't you just use a nylon zip-tie or two to secure it during an enduro race or MX session? I had no problems with my TW's stand after getting airborn
I only gave the reason. I don't disable mine because I've never had that cut off problem.

As to crashes due to down stands, I am 99.9999% skeptical that any fatal crashes occur due to this. I've read compilations of crash reports from the US (such as Hurt) and the UK (done by the police there). I never have seen a single entry for this as a cause of crash / injury. Not one.

BTW, the latest crash stat I read was from the UK. The greatest rate of fatalities in bikes comes from guys just riding off the road usually due to not handling a simple curve. No left turns. No cars - nothing. Just guys riding beyond themselves.

My wife's late husband died early from this. He just rode off the road on a clear day with no traffic around.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #51
joe-dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
My issues

Model: XCountry
Year: 2009
ABS: No
Mileage at time of issue: 200/400
Date of occurrence:Sept.2008/Oct. 2008
Modifications (if any): No Evap Cannister
Description of Failure(s): Wouldn't start-battery dead
Resolution (if any): New Voltage Regulator/Battery
First time, BMW roadside sent full-size tow truck next day to have it towed to dealer (120 miles). I had to pay $20 (because it was over $500) in towing fees. Dealer called and said Xco was ready and I drove up there and got it...they just said it was discharged battery and they charged it and it was fine and acted like I was crazy when I told them I had been riding it all week and then one morning doesn't start. Second time-I was on my way to work, stopped for gas, then it wouldn't start. Got my wife to drive my truck to load it up and bring it to house. Once again, BMW roadside sent truck next day back to dealer...this time the towing company gave me break and brought price down to even $500 so I wouldn't have to pay...one month later dealer called and said it was ready-had replaced the voltage regulator and battery and said vr was pushing too many volts so it was going straight to ground. I thought why didn't you check it first time when I told you symptoms, but I really haven't had any issues as far as starting since then.
J...
joe-dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #52
DoucheBag
feminine hygiene product

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIRKSM
Hey douchebag i had that happen to me a few times and i have the exact same mods,minus the sidestand switch mod. it only happened to me when it was cold though, like below 50f. i just chalked it up to the mods making it a little lean right off idle in cold conditions. i haven't had it happen since like march though. i know this is no help but just wanted you to know i had it happen and it hasn't been a problem since the temp went up.
It's been happening to me in a range of temperature, mid to late 70's through miad to late 90's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
Hey Douchebag!

I got nothing, I just wated to say it.

Carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryM
This is/was a common fault on XT660s. The explanation was that the idle speed set in the ECU was say 1600rpm, and yet in a low gear, maybe 1st or 2nd when coming to rest, before dipping the clutch your revs would drop below 1600 so the ECU said 'game over' and killed the engine.

The fix IIRC was to reduce the idle by 100 to 1500rpm, which in the case of the XT660 could be done through the instrument panel I think. Either way that seemed to fix it for lots of folk.

I wonder if this is what we are seeing here?

Is that a dealer fix, or are there aftermarket options, i.e. GS-911?

www.heritage.org - Learn the facts

DoucheBag screwed with this post 08-17-2009 at 08:12 AM
DoucheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #53
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
repeated stalling. will not idle

Just encountered this for the first time today.

Mileage at time of issue: 2800
Date of occurrence:Aug. 17 2009
Modifications (if any): none
Description of Failure(s): repeated stalling. bike won't idle
Resolution (if any): none

someone mentioned lowering the rpm. anyone know how to do this specifically for the XCountry?
paul_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #54
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Intermittant stalling

Ya'll gonna think I'm crazy...but I had the same thing ya'll mention...cleaned the air filter and no issues...not sure if it the same issue...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #55
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
Ya'll gonna think I'm crazy...but I had the same thing ya'll mention...cleaned the air filter and no issues...not sure if it the same issue...
Thanks. Not crazy. I'll look into it. I have been riding in a dusty area.

About a half hour after I reported the stalling, the bike started and held an idle, but, it was a wavering idle. It had a pulse to it, as the rpm would dip and come back regularly, but it held the idle, and sometimes even remained steady.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:36 AM   #56
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer

fuel line?

Well... it occurred again for a short period, but then after breaking and throttling and clutching simultaneously at stops to force the fuel to remain flowing to the engine, and then getting it up to 4th and back down again, it was once again stable at idle.

Weird. It seemed like there was a temporary obstruction to the flow of fuel?

Baffled.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 AM   #57
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Can it be a vapor lock, paul_g? How hot is it where you are?

As to lowering rpm, changing the cs sprocket is the standard way to do this on bikes in general. I have no idea why this won't work on the x-c
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #58
DoucheBag
feminine hygiene product

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g

someone mentioned lowering the rpm. anyone know how to do this specifically for the XCountry?
I've heard about a lot of guys with the same issue. Their find was that the seat was pinching the vent line to the tank and causing the bike to shut off, not idle. definently worth looking into.

www.heritage.org - Learn the facts
DoucheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #59
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g

Me too!

ABS: Yes
Mileage at time of issue: 5300
Date of occurrence:Aug. 18 2009
Modifications (if any): Lots, but no engine mods
Resolution (if any): Fixed itself after sitting for 45 min
Old 08-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #60
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
Can it be a vapor lock, paul_g? How hot is it where you are?

As to lowering rpm, changing the cs sprocket is the standard way to do this on bikes in general. I have no idea why this won't work on the x-c
scratch that, reverse it. Of course I meant raising rpm's but I think you followed my gist. That doesn't seem like the right solution after all, because it isn't consistent.

you know, I wonder if it happens to receive a lot of direct sun if that could cause it? A Vapor lock as you describe?

I am at 7000+ feet in northern NM. Our summers don't get much above 88 tops.