Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_g
Model: (xCountry)
Year: 2009
ABS: no
Mileage at time of issue: 1900
Date of occurrence: August 5, 2009
Modifications (if any): none
Description of Failure(s): this morning the XCo wouldn't start. It showed the oil light, but I just checked the oil a week ago and it was good. So, could be an electrical issue throwing a false reading. Checked the oil again anyway, and it looked to be a bit over max, which is odd because it wasn't touched since I got it from the dealer, and the last I checked it wasn't nearly that high. Is condensation getting in there? Maybe just a temperature thing. This is the earliest (morning) I've tried to start it, so I'm wondering if that is an influence.
Resolution (if any): none yet
Reference Thread:

incidentally... all operational issues resolved and I've had perfect reliability and operation for a few weeks now. There is one oddity I will be reporting next though...
paul_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #107
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
brake fluid reservoir

Model: (xCountry)
Year: 2009
ABS: no
Mileage at time of issue: 3500
Date of occurrence: noticed it first in late August 2009
Modifications (if any): none
Description of Failure(s): not a failure really. I just noticed that there is something wrong with my front brake fluid reservoir. At least I perceive it to be a potential problem. Basically, it seems to leak up and around the gasket, and it always seems too low. Even when there isn't much in it, screwing the cap on causes fluid to leach out from under the cap. The brake works fine and is responsive. So... some questions...
1. anyone else having this problem?
2. is the liner of this reservoir supposed to have a "Z-shaped" recession to hold the fluid? (I've never seen one like this)
3. A BMW guy said it could be the brake pad. So, is it possible for a brake pad to be worn down to nothing in 3500 miles? I personally do mostly engine braking. I didn't even think of it, because I assumed it was the dealer's responsibility to have it fully prepped for resale and those kinds of basic safety measures should have been checked. (Don't laugh, but I looked at the manual, and tried to eye the brake pad, but I am not 100% sure what I'm looking for and the picture isn't helping. A motorcycle rider who doesn't know what his brake pad looks like? Yep! That's me. Still learning)

Thoughts?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #108
DoucheBag
feminine hygiene product

Oddometer: 457
Happened to me on my Challenge, took it to the dealer & they warranty'd it... said it was a bad seal on the filler cap.

www.heritage.org - Learn the facts
DoucheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #109
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoucheBag
Happened to me on my Challenge, took it to the dealer & they warranty'd it... said it was a bad seal on the filler cap.
Good to know. Thanks.

The dealer wants me to stop by for a look at it. I seem to have a new battery coming to me too.

As it turns out, I DO need a new front brake pad already! A little irritated that the dealership didn't mention how low it was when they sold it to me, considering they had done a "22 point check" of the bike. Ordered the EBS for a fraction of the OEM pads.

It's both a relief and a disappointment to learn about it now, as I was planning my first longer trip for this weekend. Good thing I didn't go without noticing it, and too bad I didn't have the time to replace it.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:22 AM   #110
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
Eventually, I cram the ignition switch wires up into the switch housing and everything lights up,

I took off the bottom of the ignition switich, opened it up and found one of the wires has a failed solder joint to the contacts and no sort of strain relief on the wires inside the housing. The solder joint looks like it wasn't done properly to begin with, so I'll see if BMW will cover a new one .

Same thing happened to me: got home on the back of a tilt tray. Really crappy soldering in the ignition switch

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #111
DoucheBag
feminine hygiene product

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks.

The dealer wants me to stop by for a look at it. I seem to have a new battery coming to me too.

As it turns out, I DO need a new front brake pad already! A little irritated that the dealership didn't mention how low it was when they sold it to me, considering they had done a "22 point check" of the bike. Ordered the EBS for a fraction of the OEM pads.

It's both a relief and a disappointment to learn about it now, as I was planning my first longer trip for this weekend. Good thing I didn't go without noticing it, and too bad I didn't have the time to replace it.
I bought mine as a demo from the dealer with 450 miles on it... took it home, battery was dead, next week I discovered the rotor was warped and the fork seals we're leaking along with the seeping master cylinder.... as for the 22 point inspections

They did cover everything under warranty, just was a pain in the ass draging the bike back & forth, dealers 85 miles away...

DoucheBag screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 01:36 PM
Old 09-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #112
joe-dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
head pipe color pic??

Quote:
I think they should replace the head pipe too since it has now turned a blackened bronze color
May sound stupid, but anybody have a pic of the head pipe discoloration to look for?

Thanks,
J...
joe-dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #113
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME
Same thing happened to me: got home on the back of a tilt tray. Really crappy soldering in the ignition switch
The good news is that BMW is covering it under warranty and I'm getting a new battery from the recall as well.

The bad news is that BMW has to install warranty parts, so they've had my bike since Saturday, but I get to pick it up tonight.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #114
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Model: xChallenge
Year: 2007
ABS: yes
Mileage at time of issue: ~200?
Date of occurrence:
Modifications (if any): emissions canister removed, airbox cover removed
Description of Failure(s): none!
Resolution (if any):
Reference Thread:

Haven't had a single problem... at 4500 miles now.
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #115
Winter Hill Gang
sex.wax.poetic

Oddometer: 50
Model: xMoto
Year:'07
ABS:no
Mileage at time of issue: ~10k
Date of occurrence: Last few weeks (august-sept '09)
Modifications (if any): Lots
Description of Failure(s): Battery won't hold a charge. Fuel sensor/sender is sporatic at best.
Resolution (if any): Awaiting response from Dealer
Reference Thread:
Winter Hill Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #116
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-dirt
May sound stupid, but anybody have a pic of the head pipe discoloration to look for?

Thanks,
J...

Sorry I didn't get any pics of mine before I dropped it off at the dealer, but when it starts resembling a used BBQ grill rack, you might have a problem.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #117
DoucheBag
feminine hygiene product

Head pipe discoloration...

THis is the best I have...dark blue...

Old 09-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #118
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoucheBag

THis is the best I have...dark blue...

I'm curious DB, what color do you think it should be? I consider this normal.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #119
Dukehunt

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I'm curious DB, what color do you think it should be? I consider this normal.
+1 don't they all discolour when they get hot and dirty etc

Dukehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #120
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,992
The darker the color the hotter it got. It should turn a golden color with hints of blue. Not blue bordering on black. My exhaust got clogged with a sand like material(gunpowder like in color) There is a thread where a guy cut the tailpipe and then removed the baffle with a holesaw. That is what I did to unclog and it worked. Holding up fine after about 500 miles, but I have gotten a new exhaust without a cat to deal with excessive heat. Douchebags pipe looks like it got too hot at some point which I think could lead to other issues.
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote