User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Northwoods Yeti OP
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,671
running tubes in a tubeless tire?

Are there any problems with running a tubeless tire with tubes? I ride a 2000 Triumph Tiger and would like to run some Shinko 705's. Any pros or cons?
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
supertireguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
It's ok to run an inner tube in a tubeless tire.

If you have wheels with spokes then an inner tube is the only way to keep the air from leaking out through the spokes.

That is unless you have those special BMW rims where the spokes connect to the edge of the wheel making it air tight.

supertireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
pnhd65
renaissance man

Oddometer: 341
Just last week, I put a new rear tire on the wife's DR 200. I'd read about it in the past, and said I'd never put another tube in when I changed out a tire on a spoked rim.

I sealed up the nipples with RTV, put the rim strip back in and ran a bead of said RTV the whole way around the underside of said rim strip.

Had to drill out the stem hole a little, but put in a tubeless stem.

I put in 2 ounces of BBs from the boy's BB gun while I was at it. (Poor man's dyna beads.)

Cheers and good luck.
pnhd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnhd65
Just last week, I put a new rear tire on the wife's DR 200. I'd read about it in the past, and said I'd never put another tube in when I changed out a tire on a spoked rim.

I sealed up the nipples with RTV, put the rim strip back in and ran a bead of said RTV the whole way around the underside of said rim strip.

Had to drill out the stem hole a little, but put in a tubeless stem.

I put in 2 ounces of BBs from the boy's BB gun while I was at it. (Poor man's dyna beads.)

Cheers and good luck.
Jesus dude, you RTV'd a street bike wheel? Wow, well. All kinds i guess.

Anyway, tube in a tubless: Huge pain in the ass. Rather, harder than it has to be. Tubeless is way stiffer and heavier, so you have to deal with that AND not pinching a tube at the same time. Plus, bonus if you have a tubeless wheel cause now you have an air pocket between the inflating tube and the now seated tubeless tire, really hard to get it to seat up correctly.

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Yeti
Are there any problems with running a tubeless tire with tubes? I ride a 2000 Triumph Tiger and would like to run some Shinko 705's. Any pros or cons?
You can do it, all the manufacturers might say is to consider the speed range dropped by one level. Like a V should be considered an H - not good if you plan to ride around at 140 mph all day long, but no biggie for those of us who stay under 80 most of the time.

As far as air pockets, there won't be any issue on spoked rims and very little on a cast wheel. The fact is the original cast wheels weren't tubeless due to possible porosity in the castings, my SR has tube type cast wheels. Even if there are air pockets on some cast wheels are sealed they'd leak out only if the tire was punctured. And at the shop we actually came across an old CB550K front wheel someone had "made tubless" by taping the spoke nipples over with black electrical tape in place of the rim strip - on the original 70s rim. Not something I'd recommend, but it was holding air. We put a tube back in.

The big difference at this point between a tubeless and tube tire is a coating added within the tubeless tire as a sort of liner to absolutely seal the carcass. The tube type might actually be sealed, but it is not absolutely engineered to be sealed against air leakage.

As far as getting up on the bead, it should not be any different. Pressure against the inside of the tire is pressure against the inside of the tire, whether it's in a tube or not in a tubeless tire. It's simply Pascal's law again.

Run the tire you want without any problem. Observe the recommendation of realizing the speed rating be considered decreased one level, which again is no big deal - I doubt you'll be screaming around at over "the ton" for extended time periods too often on the Triumph.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Northwoods Yeti OP
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,671
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53
You can do it, all the manufacturers might say is to consider the speed range dropped by one level. Like a V should be considered an H - not good if you plan to ride around at 140 mph all day long, but no biggie for those of us who stay under 80 most of the time.

As far as air pockets, there won't be any issue on spoked rims and very little on a cast wheel. The fact is the original cast wheels weren't tubeless due to possible porosity in the castings, my SR has tube type cast wheels. Even if there are air pockets on some cast wheels are sealed they'd leak out only if the tire was punctured. And at the shop we actually came across an old CB550K front wheel someone had "made tubless" by taping the spoke nipples over with black electrical tape in place of the rim strip - on the original 70s rim. Not something I'd recommend, but it was holding air. We put a tube back in.

The big difference at this point between a tubeless and tube tire is a coating added within the tubeless tire as a sort of liner to absolutely seal the carcass. The tube type might actually be sealed, but it is not absolutely engineered to be sealed against air leakage.

As far as getting up on the bead, it should not be any different. Pressure against the inside of the tire is pressure against the inside of the tire, whether it's in a tube or not in a tubeless tire. It's simply Pascal's law again.

Run the tire you want without any problem. Observe the recommendation of realizing the speed rating be considered decreased one level, which again is no big deal - I doubt you'll be screaming around at over "the ton" for extended time periods too often on the Triumph.
Thanks for the info everyone

....but the shinko's speed rating is 99 mph and on occasion in very short bursts I get really close to this when passing cars. Is the speed rating a conservative estimate? For example a forklift has a load limit posted on it but this number is something like 20% less then the actual max load. I'm thinking the tire won't fly off at a short flash at speed but a sustained HWY 94 across Montana blast at a ton for 12 hours might be a different story?
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Scottysix9
Shhh...

Oddometer: 919
I have Shinko 705's on my BMW 650. I run tubes with no problems. Your speed rating is how fast the tire can be run for an hour before it develops problems. A few bursts above that speed shouldn't be a problem, with proper inflation and loads.

If they can't hear you, they won't know you're there.
Scottysix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Yeti
Thanks for the info everyone

....but the shinko's speed rating is 99 mph and on occasion in very short bursts I get really close to this when passing cars. Is the speed rating a conservative estimate? For example a forklift has a load limit posted on it but this number is something like 20% less then the actual max load. I'm thinking the tire won't fly off at a short flash at speed but a sustained HWY 94 across Montana blast at a ton for 12 hours might be a different story?
The speed rating is less 'fly apart at speed' and more 'heat rating'. High speed makes tires really hot really fast, the better the tire can resist and shed heat the better speed rating it gets.
Speed ratings are also 'sustained' speed ratings. You can take an 85mph tire up to 100 and back if you do it quickly, but i wouldnt want to be near anything with a low speed rated tire zipping along at cruise missile for extended periods.

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
DirtyBiker
Roads are to explore

Oddometer: 366
no problem

I had a Cagiva Grand Canyon and my friends with simalr bikes would run TKC80's with tubes all the time - no problem. Just keep the spokes tight and always run a rim liner down the middle of the inside rim.
DirtyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
MichBiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
wow

you'll get more heat yes so speed will be less. most bikes we run don't go at top speed all the time. you'll just have to play with the preesure a little and balance it well. i use them and go at 80mph for 2+ hours on the roadwith my dr650 all good now
MichBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Same for me, got a tubeless 705. Noticed the max air pressure is 41 psi versus 28 on the tube tire. Going to install with a new tube and probably run at 32.
Proveick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
nedodjija
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Had the same tire on my Vstrom. My buddy and I toured Idaho couple of years ago, and I run over a huge rock with my front wheel. It got bent, so I had to stop by and inflate the tire every 20 miles. We stopped in a small town tire shop, and he had an intertube that fit my front tire. He put it in, and it was as new. I rode my bike like that for another 3K while I was searching for an used wheel on ebay. No issues what so ever
Old 10-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,924
I put tubeless Hedinau K60 Scouts on my Tiger 800xc. About 7000 miles so far, temps up to 107f. speeds not quite to the triple digets but close, loaded 2up will all the luggage she would hold.

Not a problem.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
oldgunner16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Tia

Tire Industry Association says no. The reason given is the friction caused by the tube rubbing inside the tire carcass (with the flexing of the tire)causes additional heat the tire wasn't designed to handle.
oldgunner16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:39 AM   #15
dmn0507
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
All Ktm 990 come out of the factory with a tubeless tyre + tube.
I made my rear rim tubeless with some silicone sealant.
dmn0507 is offline   Reply With Quote