ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
philthyphil OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 112
Upstate NY dirt riders/routes wanted

New to the area and want to ride some dirt. Not looking to play tag or anything like that. Just curious if anyone has some route info or wants to meet up and get dirty and have some fun on the bikes. Fire roads, backcountry dirt and the like. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to publicize the good routes but it always seems to me the more traffic the less chance of closure, but I'm from out west where the gubment wants to close everything...

philthyphil screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 02:47 PM
philthyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
I've got couple good ones that I can send you. what town are you in?

might be able to get together and ride. Have a place in S Worcester.
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
EIF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
How far upstate do you want to go? Big bike or small bike?

There's a small group of us from Warren County north that could take you around big bike appropriate dirt roads in the ADKs
EIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
philthyphil OP
Nomad

I'm in Cobleskill.

Looking at getting a 650. Been riding dirt bikes a while so I'd like to stay as dirt oriented as possible. I have a street bike. I'd go as far as Canada, without going to Canada...
Old 04-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
selkirkswamper
hellbilly

Oddometer: 142
check out the state land in the general Cobleskill area decent dirt roads in Schohaire and Middleburgh area and down Gilboa way
selkirkswamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
justme23005
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
There are lots of back roads/trails, between Cobleskill, Summit, Middleburgh, & Blenheim.
justme23005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
philthyphil OP
Nomad

Just looking for a nudge in the right direction or some hints. I'll find my way around. Just seems everything around here is paved.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
justme23005
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyphil View Post
Just looking for a nudge in the right direction or some hints. I'll find my way around. Just seems everything around here is paved.
Ok... I'll give you a hint... Go to Summit, and take a left by the Firehouse. :) Go a couple miles, take a right at the triangle.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
selkirkswamper
hellbilly

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme23005 View Post
Ok... I'll give you a hint... Go to Summit, and take a left by the Firehouse. :) Go a couple miles, take a right at the triangle.

selkirkswamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
captainInsano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
I have ridden pavement out there several times and thought that too. Then someone mentioned a couple of dirt/unpaved roads in Blenheim. They happened to be in state forests I didn't know were there. I spent quite some time exploring them (a couple were kinda gnarly but it was also late November) and found a few more on my way over! Then I got a gps and found gobs more to explore! They're definitely there but you need to hunt for some of them.
captainInsano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
justme23005
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainInsano View Post
I have ridden pavement out there several times and thought that too. Then someone mentioned a couple of dirt/unpaved roads in Blenheim. They happened to be in state forests I didn't know were there. I spent quite some time exploring them (a couple were kinda gnarly but it was also late November) and found a few more on my way over! Then I got a gps and found gobs more to explore! They're definitely there but you need to hunt for some of them.
You can go from Cobleskill To Summit or Blenheim, without riding on paved roads. When I owned the motorcycle shop in Cobleskill, We used to ride from Cobleskill to my moms house in Roxbury on 4wheelers. There are trails almost all the way.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
philthyphil OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme23005 View Post
You may laugh, but this is all I need, a place to start. Thanks to you and the PM's I've got...
Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
justme23005
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You may laugh, but this is all I need, a place to start. Thanks to you and the PM's I've got...
I know.. If you needed more, I would have given you more.. You will come out in Blenheim or Bear Ladder road in the town of Fulton. Looking Glass Pond is a nice spot to stop and rest. :) Well.... It WAS nice, until they drained most of the water out.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
Just got back from FL. Email me any time for info and routes around the summit area, etc Include your phone number.

My place in S Worcester is only a half hour from you. Easy to meet up at the country store in Summit and go from there. Might be a few days before I get the SS out of the living room tho.
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #15
Telstar_2112
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I'm on vacation this week near Walton and I would like to check out some of these dirt roads near Summit. I have a Yam XT225 and rather than ride the whole way I plan to throw it on a rack I have on the back of the SUV. Can anyone recommend a safe place in or around Summit to park and leave the car?

Also, have these roads become popular off road riding places and is it frowned upon to do this by the locals? I'm riding with my wife and just want to make sure there are no issues.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,
thanks.
Telstar_2112 is offline   Reply With Quote