Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Asphalt Outlaw Hero OP
Antique Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
2720 Power problem

I bought a 2720 from Amazon.I've been using it in my van.I also bought an accessory plug for use on my bike. I've wired the plug up to work on my BMW but nothing is happening.I'm getting power out of the plug.There is an extra round plug that I'm not sure what it does.
Natchurally,I'm waiting until right before the trip to discover all of this.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
pbansen
Hosehead

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Outlaw Hero
I bought a 2720 from Amazon.I've been using it in my van.I also bought an accessory plug for use on my bike. I've wired the plug up to work on my BMW but nothing is happening.I'm getting power out of the plug.There is an extra round plug that I'm not sure what it does.
Natchurally,I'm waiting until right before the trip to discover all of this.
If the accessory plug that you're talking is the Garmin "motorcycle" plug for the 2720, you should be able to put 12 volt power to the red and black wires and be in business. The round plug is the audio output from the GPS.

Make sure that the flat plug is well seated on the back of the 2720 - it's not the most appropriate connector for a motorcycle application and unless it slides all the way into its recess, it may not make reliable contact and provide power to the GPS.

How are you getting power for the GPS from the bike? Plugging into a BMW-style 12 volt outlet?
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Asphalt Outlaw Hero OP
Antique Adventurer

Correct. I have a BMW plug to a two wire ( hot/ground).
I guess the round plug is for a head phone then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbansen
If the accessory plug that you're talking is the Garmin "motorcycle" plug for the 2720, you should be able to put 12 volt power to the red and black wires and be in business. The round plug is the audio output from the GPS.

Make sure that the flat plug is well seated on the back of the 2720 - it's not the most appropriate connector for a motorcycle application and unless it slides all the way into its recess, it may not make reliable contact and provide power to the GPS.

How are you getting power for the GPS from the bike? Plugging into a BMW-style 12 volt outlet?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
pbansen
Hosehead

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Outlaw Hero
Correct. I have a BMW plug to a two wire ( hot/ground).
I guess the round plug is for a head phone then?
Yup - the 2.5mm round plug is for getting audio directions into a headset or audio system.

Do you have a voltmeter or means of checking the continuity of the cable for the GPS? If you have the red wire (+) hooked to the center of your BMW plug and the black wire (-) hooked to the outer conductors you have the polarity correct. Make sure that the polarity IS correct.

To see if you have voltage at the connector end, use a voltmeter and check the bottom two connectors on the plug. I am referring to the widest part of the connector as the "top" and the narrowest part as the "bottom" because that's how they are oriented when connected to the GPS.

You should have 12 volt positive (+) on the bottom connector and 12 volt negative (-) on the one above it - my plug has a little ridge between these two.

If the polarity is wrong, correct it and try the GPS again. If you have no voltage at the GPS connector when the cable is plugged into a hot BMW outlet, check the continuity of the cable - there should be continuity between the center connector on the BMW plug and the bottom contact on the GPS plug and between the "ring" on the BMW plug and the second connector from the bottom on the GPS connector. It's possible that you got a bad cable.

pbansen screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 08:05 PM
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
Asphalt Outlaw Hero OP
Antique Adventurer

GOT IT FIGGERED OUT.WHY DOES ELECTRICITY HATE ME?
THANKS FOR THE ASSITANCE GUYS.