Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
woofer2609 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Found on the side of the road....

OK, so my main commuting vehicle is a bicycle, followed shortly by a truck or M/C. Over the past 15 years I have found a wide array of stuff riding with 2 wheels, including (but not limited to);
bills of different currencies (mostly $5's and $10's), weed, lighters, cigarettes, multiple sizes of crescent wrenches, monkey wrenches, Porsche hubcaps, CD wallets, wallets, Snap-On socket extensions, a really nice 8" Henckels German made 5 star knife (one of the best finds, used it tonight, curious how it found its way to the side of the road), a dead wolf (wife wouldn't let me bring it home to make a rug from the hide), 10 out of the 12 beers in a case, screwdrivers, many, many, discarded playing cards, a Jamis mountain Bike with a "free" sign on it...
There's probably more, but the above are what I actually stopped and picked up (not the wolf).

I'm going to start chronicling the stuff I found, starting today, I encourage you to do the same. Keeping your eyes open makes the ride so much better so include a pic of stuff you have brought home from the side of the road, better if it was not meant to be there.

Today's find? Not the most exciting; an uneaten Eat-More candy bar and a 17mm Snap-On 3/8" drive socket:

SOOOOOO? What did you find?
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:21 AM   #2
NZRalphy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Stuff. Sooooooo much stuff
When i met my wife 30 ish years ago she said why to you keep stopping (on a walk or cycle ride) to pick stuff up.
It took a few years and then she started to do it.
If it was shinny or metal she points it out or picks it up.
We have no idea why we do it.
Shinny stuff attracts Magpie's I guess.......

NZRalphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,358
Keep looking. Several years ago there was a backpack with $70,000+ in cash found on the island. It was the weekly take from a local produce distribution company, and was returned to the owner. I've found a wallet, weed and an assortment of bunji cords and tools over the years. Didn't take any pictures, though...
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
kruzuki
Gear in the Machine

Oddometer: 790
I found a $50 bill on the streets of Manhattan last year on vacation. It paid for the cab ride to the airport.

I've found small bills, coins (we have $1 and $2 coins up here so it's worth picking them up), small tools and books. Plus assorted dead squirrels, etc.

Last year my son found a Gucci wallet with over $300.00 cash in it. No one around? Finders keepers. And we think it's a real Gucci.

I always wonder why you see a single shoe or a shirt on the side of the road. WTF?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
Dogdaze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Over here they have a curious habit of picking up lost things and hanging them or putting said item at eye level if possible, so that the owner can come back and find it. We've taken up that custom soon after arriving, as we lost child's soft 'never-leave-the-house-without-it' toy numerous times only to retrace steps and find it picked up and carefully placed where we would see it. I found a wallet with cash once, picked it up, put it on a garden wall where it would be seen. Handed in a card wallet to a local bank so they could contact the owner. I guess we have adapted to our local environment?!!
Far cry from when I was younger
Dogdaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
SunneyDazze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Single shoe theory

There was a book written many years ago that stated how to get away with murder. The advise for your clothing and shoes used to to randomly toss them on the side of many roads over a wide area.. so I always equate single shoes with One dead body somewhere.. I as well have always loved the road side finds my Grandfather got me started he could find amazing things in tall grass at 50 miles and hour..
SunneyDazze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
-Chris-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Oh man, I'm going to have to start taking pictures of my finds. I jog on occasion, ride bikes, & motorcycles and have found a wide range of stuff. Some that come to mind are...

Bra
Panties (same place as the bra)
Cloths
Money (never found more than a 20)
Wallets (lots of cash, always returned)
Purse (no money, still returned)
Knives
Tools (lots and lots of tools)
Oakley sunglasses (wear them to this day)
Vibrator (didn't touch it)
Spare tires
Cell phone (some working, some crushed)
Diamond ring (bitter sweet story there)

I will start taking pictures from now on.

I found the diamond ring in a pile of cloths/trash when I was about 15. We had a creek down the road form the house and someone dumped trash/cloths and while riding by, I sifted through it and found a ring. I also found some mail with names and addresses on it. I called the Sheriff, long story short, they got their ring back but had to pay fines for littering and the junk was magically gone the next time I went by.
2005 Honda CRF450X
Fly & Ride-2013, Meandering East - From Tulsa to the coast
-Chris- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 967
Lots of tools and 4 pocket knives a couple 5's and a 20.

I believe the pocket knives are hunters leaving them on the truck bumper, there are lots of hunters around here.
1stgenfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
My dad found a $100 bill in a parking lot. Most I've ever found was a $20 and some ones and fives.

Other than that just trash and the occasional used condom, never anything useful.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
... but had to pay fines for littering and the junk was magically gone the next time I went by.
shades of "Alice's Restaurant"
Old 11-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
Pabst
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I have found a lot of money, well, not a lot but at least $500 in change over the years and a few hundred in bills and I just put it in a box and have never spent it, whenever I find any money I put it in my left pocket and when I get home put it in the box. I did find a Rolex once but it had been run over by several cars, I tried to find the owner with no luck, I sold it on ebay for $1,500 +. I found 5 wallets one year, I returned them all, the most that was ever in one was $1600. One I found and called the guy and he drove to my house to pick it up acted like I stole it from him, he snatched it out of my hand and drove off, not even a thank you and no, I've never taken a reward and never expected one, a simple thank you is fine, usually everyone offers though. I used to ride my bicycle to work and you'd be amazed how many drive away from the gas station with wallets and purses on their cars! I have found a lot of tools too. I found a guys wedding ring in the snow in Tahoe and found the owner in Texas, turns out he lost it on their honeymoon, mailed that back.

Pabst screwed with this post 11-25-2014 at 05:26 PM
Pabst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 864
I've found a number of things from screwdrivers to sockets to ratchets and wrenches to hammers. The largest bill I've found was a $100 on a back street sidewalk, I went to a few local houses to see if anybody lost some money but no takers.

I've been almost arrested a couple of times trying to return wallets and I.D. cards, I either mail them back to their owners or drop them off at the Police station now. The most irritating one was in Holland, I found a wallet on the street (obviously fell off the top of a car) and handed it into security at HP (there was an HP I.D. card inside). The owner called the Police and told them that I must have "picked" his pocket! The Police were quite nice about the whole affair. A couple of days later the owner contacted me and offered me a 20 Guilder bill for returning his wallet but I'm still irritated enough that I take that kind of stuff to the Police station now.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #14
MT Wallet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I find a lot of bottles, shoes, towels and life jackets. I live near a lake.There are always tools. The most dangerous thing, from a legal standpoint, I ever found was a folded aluminum foil and within it were 7-8 small folded foils with a brown substance- I think it might have been heroin-could have gone to jail. I got rid of it pronto.
MT Wallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #15
RBnite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
A lot of tools. Used to drive a truck on mostly rural delivery routes. Tools stand out as you drive by.

Fun thread, will start taking pics from now on.

RBnite
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: