ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
RickS OP
Studly Adventurer
 
RickS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Altus, OK
Oddometer: 515
Toy haulers

I had to pass on a deal on a motor home as it was to tall for my shop - starting to look at toy haulers. Would like a bumper pull, but might consider a 5th wheel, but would rather use my suburban to pull it. Looking for a under 30 foot to pull. Have seen several with the garage part in front with the door on the side. Really think a rear door would be better. Suggestions?
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer
 
kfsinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Oddometer: 2,519
I'm no expert, but it seems to me that having the weight of the bikes forward (side entrance) would be better, especially for a bumper pull and if you're hauling bigger bikes. Two 250cc dirt bikes might not matter, but a big GS or KTM would make a big difference.

You mention pulling it into a shop. May be worth thinking about how you want to load/unload the trailer at the shop. Door placement might make a big difference.

Looking forward to hearing other input
__________________
Karl
R1100GS
F650GS -- sold -- what's next?
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti


Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD
 
ghostrider.y2k's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: NW Chicago burbs
Oddometer: 873
27' long XLR and I pull it with a megacab ram with gas engine.

Be carefull how much weight you put behind suburban. Check your tire ratings, most 1/2 ton trucks use lt tires witch will limit your towing ability. Do people doing all the time? Yes, thats why I got a job cleaning their F***k ups.

Keep in mind, mine is 6400lbs empty, no water or toys or anything in it. At this point you will be aproching towing capacity of the burban.

Weight distribution hitch, air bags, brake controler( spend money for a good one) and load range E tires will make huge diference in towing.
Check the gearing in the rear end, if to tall you may have to stay away from OD. It will never be a sport car as far as handling,baking or acceleration.

here is mine, i may look for more pics.





__________________
MOTORCYCLES-->created to keep us from choking the idiots around us

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD
 
ghostrider.y2k's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: NW Chicago burbs
Oddometer: 873
More picks here:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=726412&page=3
__________________
MOTORCYCLES-->created to keep us from choking the idiots around us

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD
 
ghostrider.y2k's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: NW Chicago burbs
Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider.y2k View Post
and here 360 tour of few models

http://www.forestriverinc.com/ToyHau...x?page=virtual
__________________
MOTORCYCLES-->created to keep us from choking the idiots around us

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider.y2k View Post
Be carefull how much weight you put behind suburban. Check your tire ratings, most 1/2 ton trucks use lt tires witch will limit your towing ability. Do people doing all the time? Yes, thats why I got a job cleaning their F***k ups.

Keep in mind, mine is 6400lbs empty, no water or toys or anything in it. At this point you will be aproching towing capacity of the burban.
He can check his owners' manual, but 1500 Suburbans of the past decade have a tow rating of 8,000 lbs to 8,400 lbs. 2500 Suburbans are in the 9,400 lbs range.

That being said, I have a 2002 Suburban 1500 LT 4x4 5.3L 3.73 geared that I use to pull a horse trailer regularly. Loaded is 5,500 lbs and personally, that's plenty if there are any hills involved.

I have towed an 8,500 lbs Avion RV trailer for a friend. One time. Would not have been fun taking that thing very far.
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider
 
andy29847's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,165
MY Way

I had a Ford 8 passenger van - towing capacity was 6000#s. I couldn't find a toyhauler big enough to make wifey happy that could be towed with the van. I bit the bullet,sold the van, bought an older dually. Then I bought a much bigger toyhauler than I had dreamed of (smallest 5th wheeler with a 12' garage). I am very happy with how this all ended up.

Before


After
__________________
Andy Simons
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD
 
ghostrider.y2k's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: NW Chicago burbs
Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
He can check his owners' manual, but 1500 Suburbans of the past decade have a tow rating of 8,000 lbs to 8,400 lbs. 2500 Suburbans are in the 9,400 lbs range.

That being said, I have a 2002 Suburban 1500 LT 4x4 5.3L 3.73 geared that I use to pull a horse trailer regularly. Loaded is 5,500 lbs and personally, that's plenty if there are any hills involved.

I have towed an 8,500 lbs Avion RV trailer for a friend. One time. Would not have been fun taking that thing very far.
I was under impression the formula for "safe" towing was Max -20%.
Andy, nice XLR. I look at that one but did not want to loose the bed and my other truck is not capable of towing 5th wheeler.
__________________
MOTORCYCLES-->created to keep us from choking the idiots around us

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer
 
WVhillbilly's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Oddometer: 9,004
What bikes are you hauling and how many people will be staying in it?
I looked very hard at these, and if it's only 2 small or one big bike I would go with one that has a front "garage"

4 small bikes or 2 big ones, a rear garage would be better.
A big, rear garage toy hauler is going to be more than you want to tow behind your Suburban.

They looked like more than I wanted to put behind my Tundra and it has a higher tow rating.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Tork
Pinsetter
 
Tork's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Duvall, WA.
Oddometer: 3,485
For bumper pull check out Work and Play .
__________________
:ymca
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer
 
WVhillbilly's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Oddometer: 9,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
For bumper pull check out Work and Play .

http://www.forestriverinc.com/WorkandPlay/default.aspx
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer
 
broncobowsher's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Baking in AZ
Oddometer: 1,307
I don't know the brand. But the sweetest one I have seen has a garage out back. A wall to separate the garage from the house. and a decent house in the front part. You can leave the ramp down and use the garage like a covered patio and still keep the house part separate and clean. The door between the two is weatherstriped. Keeps the house part from smelling like a gas station.

Having done a ton of trailer towing for work. Including hauling plenty of loaded toy haulers. Over rate your needs and under load the rig. They get a bit miserable when loaded to a pound of there ratings. I never seen the max - 20% rule, but that would be a good one. So many things are engineered to a point and no further (cost/weight/gas mileage/warranty/etc). By backing off the upper limit a little you have room for that day when you have to tow up a mountain after driving through miles of radiator clogging grasshoppers. Not being maxed out gives that little margin for when things are less then ideal.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD
 
ghostrider.y2k's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: NW Chicago burbs
Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I had a Ford 8 passenger van - towing capacity was 6000#s. I couldn't find a toyhauler big enough to make wifey happy that could be towed with the van. I bit the bullet,sold the van, bought an older dually. Then I bought a much bigger toyhauler than I had dreamed of (smallest 5th wheeler with a 12' garage). I am very happy with how this all ended up.

Before


After
Show me yor gen set set up please, what unit you got in it and how loud is it?
__________________
MOTORCYCLES-->created to keep us from choking the idiots around us

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider
 
andy29847's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,165
Toyhauler

Genset is built-in 5,500 watt Onan. It is under the bedroom so it is audible, but not offensive, when running. Toyhauler is a XLR Thunderbolt 300x12.




more pics: http://andy29847.smugmug.com/Other/t...8569328_bbfHj6
__________________
Andy Simons
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
sailer
trained Cirus Bear
 
sailer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: North Andover, Mass
Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
What bikes are you hauling and how many people will be staying in it?
I looked very hard at these, and if it's only 2 small or one big bike I would go with one that has a front "garage"

4 small bikes or 2 big ones, a rear garage would be better.
A big, rear garage toy hauler is going to be more than you want to tow behind your Suburban.

They looked like more than I wanted to put behind my Tundra and it has a higher tow rating.
I have one the Forest River XLR as well, I have slept 4 all on queen beds so that would be 8 if you had couples.

I have had a F800 and Xchanger in back, I could fit two of any type of stock bike bit it is tight only because garage is not long enough, I wish it was a foot or two longer in the garage.

I could fit 3 450's in there easy, but the more you put back there the more you feel it.

but it is very hard to find a 30 foot with a 10 foot garage.
__________________
get out and live
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014