Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2015, 01:02 AM   #1
RobertoGatos OP
Go-Go-GatosBros!

Oddometer: 104
GatosBros - TexasTurnaround

Texas bound to tow home one of these guys:

No, not with my motorcycle,... but this guy:

Spent the afternoon putting a 2'' receiver on the front bumper so I can take my bike with me on a hitch rack.

Looking for places to ride and people meet along the way. Plan to be in Johnson Valley on this Saturday, and after that its all up in the air! Is there anything I just can't miss? Anyone between California and Texas that wants to ride some dirt scooters or what?!?

With my last minute, don't-plan-anything-style, breakdowns, crashes, and general mishaps are a guarantee. Will end up being a good story, or a short one that ends with a tow truck bringing my sorry ass home. In any case, you might enjoy!

Leaving tomorrow at 5AM

If you do the Instagram thing: @GatosBros #TexasTurnaround
Old 06-26-2015, 04:25 AM   #2
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,622
Thumb Well, Shoot!

You're heading for (the vicinity of) Inmate beechum1's house, N. side of Cowtown. He and I are gonna do the EasTX 450 this weekend, maybe starting this evening depending on when he can sneak off from work. He said he wanted dirt, we got dirt, miles and miles of dirt (or really nasty mud if it rains a lot but fortunately that's not in the forecast, just an 80% chance of rain & T-storms Saturday but with only 10% today & Sunday, it'll be OK. And cooler!!) (See: http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachme...0&d=1405640275 )

So how long will you be in N.TX? Red River Cycle Trails (just N. of St. Jo) is only ~80mi (haven't been but scouted the location last Friday, "on the way home" from the Baja500 trip (Hey! Who says I have to go the most direct route? ). It was basically underwater and roads were washed out N. of Muenster. But that was last week and the rain's held off since then so there should be primo dirt.

I'm retired (and broke after the BJ500 Adventure), but once payday rolls around (C'mon 1st!) and Uncle Sugar refills the coffers I can see myself meeting up somewhere and braappping around.

Inmate slowoldguy (SOG) has been working on his Red River to the Rio project for ages and has a bunch of dirt roads N & W of Ft. Worth mapped out. Maybe there's something there that would be of interest? (See: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...=Red+River+Rio )

Or . . . could head West to Possum Kingdom Lake and run the Possum Trot Rally routes. Nice cabins, reasonably priced, (or a tent and I have several) good food, and, maybe, Maccabee Road will be drier than it was at the Rally. (See: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101305 )

Many possibilities. Any suit your fancy?
PM or e-mail any time. I'll PM my phone numbers, cell doesn't work at home.

THANKS MUCHLY for the Pinchy Clamps (and the "Reg'lar Ones)! Don't know if you followed the thread but bananaman endo'd down around Erendira, pre-running, and we were out before we were in. He's in the horsepistol in WI (w/muttleys visiting!!!) following a 2nd surgery to repair his shoulder - says he'll be ready for the 1000 in November. So ... I never installed all the goodies on the EXC but will, soon, waay prior to November. Beechum1 and I will be on the 690 and 625SMC (w/fat dirty tires) this weekend and I'll take the Reg'lar clamps along, maybe find time to install. I do have Gatos Bros stickers on the truck, though, right above the SL(u)T emblems, both sides, and will put 'em on all four of the KTMs.
garfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:35 AM   #3
beechum1
Grimace Soup

Oddometer: 8,635
Yeah, I'm here. How did that diesel pump motor work, for you guys. I picked it up from Sierra army depot for Jesse just about two years ago now. Be nice to meet the other Gato. XR is fueled and ready.

And garf, I'm out this weekend. I'll just have to blame it on the rain, but I have a list of stuff to prepare for before I go back home to mexico.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:42 AM   #4
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Yeah, I'm here. How did that diesel pump motor work, for you guys. I picked it up from Sierra army depot for Jesse just about two years ago now. Be nice to meet the other Gato. XR is fueled and ready.

And garf, I'm out this weekend. I'll just have to blame it on the rain, but I have a list of stuff to prepare for before I go back home to mexico.
No problemo, Amigo, though the rain forecast is down to 60% which probably means floods of biblical proportion, it being East Texas and all.
garfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 57,138
Not in Ride Reports.. Off to Shiny things.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,414
Rob wasn't posting to show off our trucks, he's trying to find places to ride and people to ride with along the way. If anything, ride planning?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
Dudsamoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Come on up to Big Bear for the District 37 Dual sport!
http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...BTR2015BBR.pdf
Old 06-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
Dudsamoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
What are your plans for that Beast!
Does it have the independent Coil Spring Suspension? If it does, you will be stunned at what that thing will do.
I Just retired from the Fire Service and spent the last few years at the Airport driving an Oshkosh "STRIKER" Crash Rig. Oshkosh builds the same platform for the military.
After driving the coil spring trucks, it was dangerous to go back to the old "Spare" with Leaf Spring/Solid Axle suspension. ( You tended to drive too fast)

Old 06-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
pxfd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Not that I could tow you but if something bad happens close to Amarillo post it up. Heck I probably don't own tools big enough to work on those beasts.
PXFD
pxfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,749
There is a similar 8x8 on Ebay right now that someone turned into a camper. Pretty crazy setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8x8-Oshkosh-...m=281729181710

"4mpg on paved roads with 3mpg offroad terrain"
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
There is a similar 8x8 on Ebay right now that someone turned into a camper. Pretty crazy setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8x8-Oshkosh-...m=281729181710

"4mpg on paved roads with 3mpg offroad terrain"
Wow, that's amazing! If only I had enough money...
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,227
I guess that pretty much settles the question of who has the biggest and baddest truck. I don't see any of these smoke stacked, coal rolling, truck nutz, Cummins Powered Strokes, out pulling that. Nope...none of them.
Carlo Muro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #13
RobertoGatos OP
Go-Go-GatosBros!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Not in Ride Reports.. Off to Shiny things.
Demoted! Oh well. Shiny, Camo, whatever.

Got down to Barstow without any issues other than a bum starter (did I mention it's this trucks maiden voyage?) Picked up the Tru Hitch just before the base closed down. Got some dinner, and unloaded the bike for tomorrow.

Too hot to go ride KOM trails in JV, so I'm going to explore around Calico instead. Maybe find something new?
Old 06-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #14
RobertoGatos OP
Go-Go-GatosBros!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudsamoto View Post
Come on up to Big Bear for the District 37 Dual sport!
http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...BTR2015BBR.pdf
Would love to! but my 125... Its not so street legal. Nice looking Oshkosh!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
RobertoGatos OP
Go-Go-GatosBros!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxfd View Post
Not that I could tow you but if something bad happens close to Amarillo post it up. Heck I probably don't own tools big enough to work on those beasts.
PXFD
Fingers crossed! Appreciate it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: