User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
fixing a pvc pipe

I discovered a small puddle of water on the floor in my basement bathroom. Pedestal sink. With a flashlight in hand, I discovered a hairline crack in the pipe.

My question: use an epoxy to fix the crack or replace the pipe? I'm no plumber, not sure where to even start.

A few pics. Crack is visible in the second pic, to the left of where the light reflects off the pipe.

photo image_zpsww5kcoj1.jpg

photo image_zpsexs34cuq.jpg
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 28,116
That's ABS, not PVC. It's a drain line so there's no pressure on the line. Can't imagine why it failed in the first place.

For the cost to replace those parts you'd be better off just replacing it than playing with repair attempts. You're not looking at $25 in materials I wouldn't think.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,689
Personally I'd replace the pipe. You're talking less than $10 in fittings, maybe some PVC glue if you don't have it. Bring in the old pipe to Home Depot and match it up. Watch a YouTube video on PVC glue but it's not hard.

EDiIT maybe not PVC? Either way replace

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
for a quick temporary fix, wrap it tightly with electrical tape, you are going to have to cut it off at the joint where the first elbow is glued to the straight pipe coming out of the wall, losing half to 3/4 inch in length, make sure that does not screw up the spacing of where it hooks to the drain on the sink
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
Slipkid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,514
Replace it....you already did the hard part.
Slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
That's ABS, not PVC. It's a drain line so there's no pressure on the line. Can't imagine why it failed in the first place.

For the cost to replace those parts you'd be better off just replacing it than playing with repair attempts. You're not looking at $25 in materials I wouldn't think.
I suspect I was the cause. The drain trap had a minor leak. I tried to tighten it but couldn't get a great grip. I tried to see if I could pull the bottom part of the pedestal forward. I applied a little upward pressure to the sink. Dumb move, I know.

How do I separate all the pipe if I go the replacement route? Cut the pipe with a hack saw? If I lose 1/2 to 3/4 inch of pipe, how do I make that up to ensure I can align the sink drain once again?

I may have answered my own question: before I remove anything, I will measure the exact distance from the wall to the centre of the existing down pipe. Any lost inches could be made up with some additional fittings, I suspect.

Rob

klx250sfguy screwed with this post 03-22-2015 at 03:35 PM
Old 03-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,639
it's a simple fix but you know nothing about how to do it. Call a plumier or a friend that has done it before. watch them and learn.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #8
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
you are going to have to cut it off at the joint where the first elbow is glued to the straight pipe coming out of the wall, losing half to 3/4 inch in length, make sure that does not screw up the spacing of where it hooks to the drain on the sink
^^^^ This... Cut it off with a hacksaw at the first fitting and get a new elbow trap and pipe cement. A little sandpaper rub where the fittings mate.

Dry fit it first before putting any glue on.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Maggot12 - thanks.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
Maggot12 - thanks.
You're welcome... also, in your case the first 90, the U trap, and the verticle piece are glued together.

Take your pieces to home depot with you and they have a combined unit that has twist couplings on either end of the U, so you won't have to make all those glued joints. Only the joint at the first 90 coming out of the wall.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #11
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
You're welcome... also, in your case the first 90, the U trap, and the verticle piece are glued together.

Take your pieces to home depot with you and they have a combined unit that has twist couplings on either end of the U, so you won't have to make all those glued joints. Only the joint at the first 90 coming out of the wall.
That's what I'll do. I appreciate your help.

Just finished with the hacksaw.

The joint at the first 90 coming out of the wall had an edge from the elbow (I cut into the elbow). I recut / removed the edge so the new unit should fit.

It's a learning process. I'll post up pics when finished.

photo image_zpsdmop3cop.jpg
Old 03-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #12
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Sand the pipe coming off the wall to clean off any small filings from your cut. Clean off the burrs on the inside of the pipe as well.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #13
Straw Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Very few plumbers use that set up as it is not adjustable. Get a 1 1/2 in trap adapter slip fitting and glue it to the pipe, (trap arm) coming out of the wall. Get a "P" trap kit and slide it in but do not tighten any of the fitting. put sink back in and and adjust it, (slides in and out) then tighten all fittings.

You will need abs glue also.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_75356-137-CL...r|1&facetInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24650-143-40...cetInfo=P-trap
Straw Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #14
klx250sfguy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straw Dog View Post
Very few plumbers use that set up as it is not adjustable. Get a 1 1/2 in trap adapter slip fitting and glue it to the pipe, (trap arm) coming out of the wall. Get a "P" trap kit and slide it in but do not tighten any of the fitting. put sink back in and and adjust it, (slides in and out) then tighten all fittings.

That makes a lot of sense. Much appreciated.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #15
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straw Dog View Post

Yes, exactly this. It has far more adjustability and if your wife looses an ear ring down the sink, you can pull it apart and retrieve it.

Edit: I see the old setup has a plug on the bottom but it is more pleasant to remove a p-trap and try and remove a plug behind a sink base.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: