Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 96 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #1591
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I got my Army license in a 1/4ton Jeep. Hands down, the Humvee is a better vehicle for pretty much everything. Among other reasons for abandoning the Jeep was having MOGAS in the supply lines alongside the diesel. Rollovers are another big one...
A diesel conversion of the Jeep or modernized Jeep would have been a simple engineering job.

Rollovers is a training issue. If someone can play with grenades they should be able to play with a Jeep. Though some military folks shouldn't play with anything more dangerous than a pen! Still, it's a training issue, IMHO.

As for the Hummer doing what it was designed to do, I don't argue that. It meets its design and contractual requirements. However, the introduction of "interim" tactical vehicles shows that there was and is a need for such tools in the toolbox. If the Hummer was getting the job done, they wouldn't have gotten those in the system.

It would appear that the G-Wagon is becoming the more common Jeep alternative out there. See, cheap COTS solutions! But the road to a cushy post-retirement job is not paved by cheap COTS solutions.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #1592
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
G-wagen for the Marines was referred to as an "interim" solution. That was a decade or two ago and they have never been replaced as far as I know.

Oz had some 6x6 Land Rover scout vehicles that had Isuzu Diesel engines. They are being replaced by a 6x6 version of the G-wagen that may spawn an AMG version for some civilian markets.

The other side of the coin is that supposedly Mercedes only renewed their contract with Austro Daimler Steyr Puch (or whatever the hell they call themselves today) for another 2 years to produce the G-wagen, and many see that as an ominous sign.

Navistar is really pushing their mine-resistant trucks at $600,000 a pop and that is what has been replacing the American General vehicles in Afghanistan and Iraq. Several other countries make their own version of that style of vehicle and that may well become the primary military truck for future military usage.

Meanwhile, Mexico uses a bunch of US pickup trucks along with some new Ford-based armored trucks. The US-style pickup truck will probably increase in popularity among many nations. Particularly since Fiat now owns Chrysler, they are spinning off Ram Trucks, and their subsidiary Iveco has a long history of selling military vehicles.

RIP Defender. We will miss you but the Pink Panther versions supposedly handled like crap and I cannot imagine that the Defender armored up very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #1593
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151164421317
Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #1594
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
As for the Hummer doing what it was designed to do, I don't argue that. It meets its design and contractual requirements. However, the introduction of "interim" tactical vehicles shows that there was and is a need for such tools in the toolbox. If the Hummer was getting the job done, they wouldn't have gotten those in the system.
The original spec was for something to replace the Jeep: behind the lines, 'light weight,' people and equipment hauler.

It was never designed to go into combat. That its been pressed into duty for that is a testament to both the ingenuity of the troops and the short-sightedness of the guys planning equipment purchases.

Back to Landy questions: there's a Disco on CL locally with a blown head gasket. How hard are those to do? How much of the crap on top of the engine needs to come off? etc etc etc

M
Old 11-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #1595
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post

Some of my scariest journeys have been in one of those (with a box body though not soft-skinned). Total death traps
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #1596
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,728
Quote:
The original spec was for something to replace the Jeep: behind the lines, 'light weight,' people and equipment hauler.

It was never designed to go into combat. That its been pressed into duty for that is a testament to both the ingenuity of the troops and the short-sightedness of the guys planning equipment purchases.

Back to Landy questions: there's a Disco on CL locally with a blown head gasket. How hard are those to do? How much of the crap on top of the engine needs to come off? etc etc etc

M
Depends on the type of engine. A totally blown head gasket on a TD5 could well be close to terminal for the engine. If its a Tdi not so bad. V8 i dont know.
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #1597
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:

M
FWIW, it's not uncommon in the Disco V8s that a blown head gasket is actually a slipped liner. Not impossible to fix, but a much bigger job than just replacing a HG.

Caveat emptor
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #1598
mdouglas71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
This thread rocks! i have a new afinity for rovers now The new RR sport is a bit expensive, but defeinitely my new favorite of the bunch..
mdouglas71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #1599
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,401
There is a pretty decent DII article in the latest Rovers Magazine; (Rovers North) publication. I was not able to find a copy online.
Basically, consider major engine work. If you are fine with that, then proceed. I have owned several Land Rovers and the DII has been my overall favorite however it has not come cheaply nor without pain.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #1600
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

Some of my scariest journeys have been in one of those (with a box body though not soft-skinned). Total death traps
I recall being stuck in one in waist deep mud, hard top, about half a million in communications gear fitted in the back with space for two operators, sound familiar?

It took a Bedford four tonner to tow us out.

Happy days!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #1601
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Australian Army has now moved to G-Wagens.

I found another old tiny pic of my 110. Wish I didn't sell it.

When I was in the Regular Army we trained with some Aussies that brought along a Perentie LRPV, pretty nicely set up for it's intended purpose. What I remember most was the 463L pallet loaded with beer that was brought with it!

IIRC, the Perentie's had a wider wheelbase than a 90 or 110 LR, the one I got to play with never got stuck when following our HMMWVs, what a great platform for a lightweight camper.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #1602
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
When I was in the Regular Army we trained with some Aussies that brought along a Perentie LRPV, pretty nicely set up for it's intended purpose. What I remember most was the 463L pallet loaded with beer that was brought with it!

IIRC, the Perentie's had a wider wheelbase than a 90 or 110 LR, the one I got to play with never got stuck when following our HMMWVs, what a great platform for a lightweight camper.
Yes, correct. They were a Jaguar Land Rover Australia thing
They are now being sold off to the public through auction as teh Aussie Army are getting G-Waggons

www.aulro.com is a great resource and I refer to it often for my TD5 D2a

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #1603
baltunay
DXB Nomad

Oddometer: 12
Cool2 Good old days

photo UAE2008.jpg

baltunay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #1604
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
I recall being stuck in one in waist deep mud, hard top, about half a million in communications gear fitted in the back with space for two operators, sound familiar?

It took a Bedford four tonner to tow us out.

Happy days!

Er....no
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #1605
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

I meant the set up - not the circumstances.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: