Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #181
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
toolfan,

I wish I had the time... school's going on and old dad here is serving PTA duties... weekends have turned into playing catchup.

Now, the BIG question will be... what bike are you willing to get rid of?
I understand. (My dad's a teacher.)

I'll probably get the airhead GS up for sale soon, but I'm thinking of selling my ktm adventure too.

I might start harrassing you via PM, if I make up my mind I'll start shopping for real in about a week.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #182
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,681
Quote:
...Yes, you wouldn't regret the Disco purchase. Get it checked first though....
PM'd ya.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #183
rockjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Wonderful! I've not seen this one... it is now MY favorite ad as well.
Too cool, I've owned a 91 Range Rover and an 01, they are both great runners. My son now runs the 01 and loves it, I have to say the 91 was my personal favorite it was much better off road.
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #184
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
pre 95 Range Rovers had an almost identical frame and suspension as the Defender.
Front Solid axle, long travel coil springs, long massive trailing arms, panhard rod.
Rear Solid axle, trailing arms, long travel coil springs, a-frame.

the 95 RR also had the more modern Discovery interior.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #185
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
I've loaded over 500 photos from the Mid Atlantic Rally Land Rover meet in Virginia on my smugmug page - look for the gallery titled MAR 2009 at
www.solaros1.smugmug.com

Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #186
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
PM'd ya.
You got it... PM'd ya back.

Question came up on buying a Disco... just a couple things (and I hope I don't sound like a complete tit with my info.)

It's always better to view these things, buying a Rover, in the simplest of ways. If you first approach the purchase as buying used, as in any used vehicle, you must first locate the best example for the buck. Discovery rigs are a dime a dozen and that makes this part easier. With so many having been imported in... why buy a rig that's been beat to shite (unless you're building a project or something) when you can buy one, same year and mileage, for usually within $500-$1000 of each other? So, the best bang for the buck rule applies here. Service history is a big bonus here. Not only WHAT has been done to it, but also WHEN... and very important... BY WHO. I'd much rather buy a rig that's had its service done at an enthusiast based Rover shop... than the dealership... or the local yokel. Remember, just because a person states, "it's had the heads done and brakes done" -this doesn't mean that those things had been done correctly. You'd be surprised at the things I've seen, many of which had been done by some "mechanic", pass as being "fixed." Scary business folks... always take your rig to a person who knows Rovers or... at least takes a lot of pride and responsibility in her/her work.

If it's a Range Rover you're after, the pre-95 models will be easier to grow old with. If it's a the Defender you're after, well... those are all, more or less, great rigs... given you've the income to purchase one. Now, if it's a Series rig you're after... I'll save my opinions on those. I love the vintage rigs, but with so many variables... makes that a hard one to recommend. I'm bias to the early/mid Series IIA... individual wiper motors, less steel (that the IIIs) contacting AL panels, all metal dash, headlamps in the breakfast (tend to get busted a bit easier out in the wings), etc... like I said though... these are more personal likes than what's better that what. Just get the cleanest best example series rig for your price. I can't tell you how many times a person came to the Rover shop, after having purchased a "good deal" on a series rig, only to find out that the rig needs twice what he'd paid just to make it a daily driver!

Actually, my last point about buying a Rover is to suggest that old KISS rule. The less stuff on it... the better. I say that as a guy who likes to use a Rover like a truck... a fine truck mind you, but a truck. If you like a lot of bells and such... a newer example might be in order for you. I'll admit that the newer generation Rovers are very able and very nice, but... I wouldn't want to grow old with one. They will not age the same as the older models. An older model, like a 87-95 RR, Disco 1, any NAS D90/110, or even series rigs, will have less items to go wrong with and usually end up being easier to work on. I've worked on and owned many model Land Rovers... the KISS rule has never been contradicted during any of that time. Again, I speak on the authority that a Rover is a truck... and a truck should NOT be overcomplicated. Oh dear... this might also be more personal taste... I'm more a coil spring, disc brake, auto box guy... all three of those items will for sure not fall into another Rover dudes ideas of simple!

Anything old or used will probably need something. Be sure to take it to a Rover shop for a complete vehicle inspection before purchase. The laundry list you might get back from the mechanics could very well help you in finalizing the selling price.

In any event, that's my .02 on buying a Rover. The most important thing is just knowing what you're getting yourself into... and of coarse... HAVING FUN WITH YOUR "NEW" RIG!

Hope that helps anyone looking... hope that didn't sound lame, weak, or too pretentious... I'm just telling things the way I've seen them over the years.

Now then... MORE ROVERS PLEASE!
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #187
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaros1
I've loaded over 500 photos from the Mid Atlantic Rally Land Rover meet in Virginia on my smugmug page - look for the gallery titled MAR 2009 at
www.solaros1.smugmug.com

Oooo... the very rare Adobe Rover! I bet they had fun doing that!
Washougal, WA USA
Old 10-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #188
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,496
Quote:
www.solaros1.smugmug.com

Great pics I've wanted to got to MAR for quite a few years now ... work normally gets in the way though

That and I didn't put plates on my disco this year
Old 10-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #189
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,681
Quote:
You got it... PM'd ya back. ...Now then... MORE ROVERS PLEASE!
Michael, thanks so much for your kind assistance. I value your input. In a previous post you suggested a couple of shops in the PDX area that are known to be reliable places.

Do you have any connections in the Seattle metroplex? There are quite a few potential D-1's down there, and a good shop should be on my list of resources for having a car checked out.

Gracias!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #190
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
Michael, thanks so much for your kind assistance. I value your input. In a previous post you suggested a couple of shops in the PDX area that are known to be reliable places.

Do you have any connections in the Seattle metroplex? There are quite a few potential D-1's down there, and a good shop should be on my list of resources for having a car checked out.

Gracias!
Oh do I?! Lamorna Garage -owner Gord'n Perrott. This is THE ONLY place in the greater Seattle area that I'd take a rig. Gord'n is great and works on the old vintage stuff as his passion... also works on the earlier Range Rover and Discovery rigs for some bread and butter. He can do restorations and simple maintenance work. He's very respected in the Rover community.

In Portland, like I mentioned, Ships Mechanic Services for vintage up to newer rigs. He does one-off stuff, diesel conversions, simple maintenance, etc. Doug Shipman is the owner and he's honest... does great work. For the latest Rover rigs The Green Oval is also a good option (also in Portland).

Glad to have been of help. It's always great to send someone to these guys... I'd rather you be happy with your rig and help put food on these guys plates. WIN WIN!
Washougal, WA USA
Old 10-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #191
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
www.solaros1.smugmug.com

Yes, great photos! Hey, I noticed on your green Defender... you've got, what I believe to be, one of those Dust Buster (yes, folks... that's the name) brand snorkel caps? Might you know of a contact to purchase these? I remember reading about these some time ago. I run the Safari Snorkel Ram caps on both my rigs (one homemade tube and one stock Safari Snorkel tube), but would like more of a mushroom traditional type. I actually have a Safari Snorkel pre-cleaner sitting in the garage (don't care for its plastic can look) in the event Mt. St. Helen's blows again! I know the Mantec and Rover types, but it appears this Dust Buster is made better and can actually help spin the larger particles out better. Also, as it appears you made your own snorkel tubes, does the Dust Buster cap come in different tube clamping diameters?

Gotta love this... great Rover stuff on a MOTO site?! YEAH!
Washougal, WA USA
Old 10-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #192
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, great photos! Hey, I noticed on your green Defender... you've got, what I believe to be, one of those Dust Buster (yes, folks... that's the name) brand snorkel caps? Might you know of a contact to purchase these? I remember reading about these some time ago. I run the Safari Snorkel Ram caps on both my rigs (one homemade tube and one stock Safari Snorkel tube), but would like more of a mushroom traditional type. I actually have a Safari Snorkel pre-cleaner sitting in the garage (don't care for its plastic can look) in the event Mt. St. Helen's blows again! I know the Mantec and Rover types, but it appears this Dust Buster is made better and can actually help spin the larger particles out better. Also, as it appears you made your own snorkel tubes, does the Dust Buster cap come in different tube clamping diameters?

Gotta love this... great Rover stuff on a MOTO site?! YEAH!
The pre-cleaner is an Engineair all stainless and aluminum unit in a 3" diameter tube size. It cost around $150 and they make a variety of sizes. It does have a "propeller" inside the housing that removes the big chunks. Also look at Centri precleaners.

The tubing I used is 3" diameter aluminum tubing (for a more "manly" looking snorkel) that I fabricated using the ones on the Extec website as a gude. I used some scrap overbends from the tubing used to make C-130 fuel lines - a friend of mine is a wizard with a tig welder. The whole tube assembly weighs about a pound (important when you're trying to keep your Land Rover's weight down - just kidding). The big trick was figuring out how to powdercoat it using a regular sized oven.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #193
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
The pre-cleaner is an Engineair all stainless and aluminum unit in a 3" diameter tube size. It cost around $150 and they make a variety of sizes. It does have a "propeller" inside the housing that removes the big chunks. Also look at Centri precleaners.

The tubing I used is 3" diameter aluminum tubing (for a more "manly" looking snorkel) that I fabricated using the ones on the Extec website as a gude. I used some scrap overbends from the tubing used to make C-130 fuel lines - a friend of mine is a wizard with a tig welder. The whole tube assembly weighs about a pound (important when you're trying to keep your Land Rover's weight down - just kidding). The big trick was figuring out how to powdercoat it using a regular sized oven.

Thank you!

Err... nice pipe! I made a snorkel setup out of 3" AL pipe myself... I had a friend do the AL welding so it actually look good as well. Yours looks great. I thought about painting the pipe OD green, to match my rig, but went the sand blasted finish route.

Those pre-cleaners are nice. I will look into them. I'm also want to look into the Toyota 70 series Land Cruiser pre-cleaner head (part # 17730-66010) as these are only $80 and look a bit more like the traditional Rover black "mushroom." The thing I worry about... and I probably shouldn't... is some jackass using the air RAM, like I've got, for an ashtray... or worse... taking a piss down it! I know... it'll never happen, but... people are never to be underestimated! I'd use the Rover cap, but those diameters are too different from each other (pipe and cap)... and I'd like a clean look to that cap... with minimal attachments.

Those Donaldson types (like I was saying... I've got one sitting in the garage in the event I'll be under severe dusty conditions) looks like it'd bust into bits the moment you knocked it against a branch. That's not good. As you know, those things often happen. Not that I'm constantly bashing into branches, but I do like to install something and forget it... and would like to just keep it to one cap. I'd hate to turn into some fashion conscious snorkel cap person

Just curious, and I don't wish to sound like a techno-weenie, but did you find out what the CFM requirements are to make sure that cap of yours will "spin" under the various loads of the engine? I ask this as I understand that certain designs only work correctly under certain flow rates.

Thanks again for the info. I'll let you know what I find as things come along. Let me know if you know of any other types of caps that'll work on our 3" snorkel pipes. Any that you remember looking into while researching this stuff.

BTW... love those 109" rigs, with the fully open tops, in your photos!
Washougal, WA USA
Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #194
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

The Centri http://www.centriprecleaner.com/ has a table for calculating required airflow and cfm rates. Using their calculator I needed 326 cfm capacity with my 2.5 liter intercooled turbodiesel at (theoretical) 4000 rpm.

The Enginaire site has similiar information: http://www.enginaire.com/prod01.htm

I know the impeller in mine spins nicely at idle. I've knocked mine up against trees on several occasions with no ill effects. I've also noticed a marked increase in filter element life. Plus it looks really, really cool.....

The Donaldson units seemed too fragile for me plus I didn't like the "bowl of dead insects" look.

Encounter in a parking lot a couple of years ago....

Lady pulls in next to me and as we're getting out of cars she points at the snorkel and asks:

Whats that thing?

Me: Its a snorkel

But what does it do?

Me: It allows the car to run underwater.

Lady - now with a VERY puzzled look: Does that happen often?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #195
hefledthescene
still fleeing

Oddometer: 10
Though Ill never stop lusting for a defender 110, its way too expensive. for 35k and up ill build an fj60.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: