Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #196
Blair

Oddometer: 718
Almost 2 whole pages before somebody posts a toyota in a Land Rover Lust thread. Can't help themselves I guess.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #197
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair
Almost 2 whole pages before somebody posts a toyota in a Land Rover Lust thread. Can't help themselves I guess.
Its a good second choice ....

Or a good first choice for those who can't handle the "character building" aspects of Land Rover ownership. Since I've been driving Land Rovers since 1972 I'll stick with what I know best....I'm already nuts so they can't do me too much more harm.
Solaros1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #198
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #199
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaros1

Or a good first choice for those who can't handle the "character building" aspects of Land Rover ownership. Since I've been driving Land Rovers since 1972 I'll stick with what I know best....I'm already nuts so they can't do me too much more harm.
Well said.

Lust is usually irrational and when acted upon has bad unintended consequences..

So is Land Rover Ownership.....

The title of this thread truly is fitting.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #200
Tappet
Feral

Oddometer: 1,451
I had a lightweight just like this one. Serious tears when I had to let it go...

Tappet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #201
1stworks
dude

Oddometer: 1,613
No lust here but this one is really COOL.

URBAN ASSAULT!!!

Dont be bitchy
Smile.
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #202
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
LR3s are REALLY good offroad. I was more than surprised. The solid axle simulation with connected airsprings and LR's superior offroad traction control are amazing.

&ampnbsp
&ampnbsp

&nbsp
&nbsp

Doc.Snyder screwed with this post 10-14-2009 at 12:16 PM
Doc.Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #203
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
more. RR Sport is based on the same Platform

Old 10-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #204
1stworks
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder
LR3s are REALLY good offroad. I was more than surprised. The solid axle simulation with connected airsprings and LR's superior offroad traction control are amazing.

Cool vid...
LR3 w/ heavy dudy package has center and rear locker...
I would have one if we could get TDI turbo in USA.

Dont be bitchy
Smile.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #205
1stworks
dude

4 wheelin a RR

Me and my buddy having fun w/ his ROVER...

those are his skid marks.

FUN trip to 5MOH

http://firstworks.smugmug.com/Motorc...8_iTtta#P-1-25

Dont be bitchy
Smile.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #206
Mav OP
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,696
Quote:

&ampnbsp
&ampnbsp

&nbsp
&nbsp

Those are some great videos. Particularlt impressed with the climbing of the rock in the second - did you notice the front wheel coming off the ground half way up the slope

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #207
PaleRider
gelande/strasse

Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
Quote:
more. RR Sport is based on the same Platform
I've driven both, but not offroad. They are really, really nice vehicles. I've been told, but not experienced, they are very capable offroad. cool videos

I do know the big Range Rover is the real deal. I went on a Land Rover Centre (note spelling ) customer outing and one guy was putting his RR through the paces with everyone else. Crazy stuff at $85K, but more power to him since he can.

He did get a little "Colorado Pinstriping" on the journey.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #208
PaleRider
gelande/strasse

Oddometer: 9,980

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stworks
Me and my buddy having fun w/ his ROVER...
Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #209
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,847
Quote:

Years ago I rebuilt my stepdad's Series IIa Land Rover. He'd gotten it in India or Nepal or some damned place and driven it across Asia and Europe. He had two of 'em. One was buried on his property as a parts cache. I'm not kidding.

He also had two Land Cruisers, one an old 40 series and his daily driver, a 50 series.

What was more of a PITA, the Land Rover or the Land Cruiser? Well, that's a matter of some debate....
Old 10-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #210
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
Quote:
The Centri http://www.centriprecleaner.com/ has a table for calculating required airflow and cfm rates. Using their calculator I needed 326 cfm capacity with my 2.5 liter intercooled turbodiesel at (theoretical) 4000 rpm.

The Enginaire site has similiar information: http://www.enginaire.com/prod01.htm

I know the impeller in mine spins nicely at idle. I've knocked mine up against trees on several occasions with no ill effects. I've also noticed a marked increase in filter element life. Plus it looks really, really cool.....

The Donaldson units seemed too fragile for me plus I didn't like the "bowl of dead insects" look.

Encounter in a parking lot a couple of years ago....

Lady pulls in next to me and as we're getting out of cars she points at the snorkel and asks:

Whats that thing?

Me: Its a snorkel

But what does it do?

Me: It allows the car to run underwater.

Lady - now with a VERY puzzled look: Does that happen often?
Thanks again for the links. I'll let you know what I end up with.

I looked at that formula RPM x CID x VE (with a Rover V8 it's probably .80) / 3456

So, for my 4.0L it would go 4750 x 240.8 x .80 / 3456 = 264.7 cfm

This is at the max power rpm -higher speeds. I've been reading that the VE actually goes down at speeds greater than 3500rpm. Interesting. I don't remember the location of that info., but if that's true... the VE would probably be more in the .70-.75 range when you're really kick'n it in the gutts. I mean, the older Rover V8 isn't really an efficient motor with all it's antiquated bits. This changes the cfm for those max rpm outputs. Brings those numbers down.

I believe that formula works at a given rpm. Meaning, at full throttle, that old ratty Rover V8 will turn (4.0L) 4750rpm... so that'd be 265 cfm (maybe only 230-245cfm at full throttle if you factor the VE going down at higher speeds). Now, at a normal running rpm, say 2500 range, that cfm turns to 140. At idle it's only around 44 cfm. Interesting... and the point of getting the correct size cap becomes important. At least, for these spinner types. I think a size, like the one you have on your Rover Tdi, is a good one. The one you have is rated 140-350 cfm. I'd like this one, but... they've gone up in price $260 for just the precleaner cap?!

They make a composite model that runs 75-250 cfm (with the same 3" size). I think this cfm is completely spot-on perfect. Plus, it's black and will match my Safari Snorkel pipe. I gave a call and they confirmed my size. The fella on the phone stated, "the spinner works at optimum in the cfm range given." The composite models are only $90.. who knows... maybe I'll get two of 'em... one for the Disco and one for the old '65 beaty.

This is probably WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much info. for something like this!

I just wanted to let you know what I found... given you'd been so kind to give me the links and such. Like I said, I'll let you know what I end up getting for sure.

One thing is for sure though... I'm going to have better peace of mind having a proper precleaner... than just some air ram. And... I won't have to worry on some idiot taking a piss down it... well... that is, unless his piss defies the laws of physics! (I think piss'n with a hard-on might fall into this category )

PS I've been asked similar questions on the snorkels... I usually tell them the short story of this guy I know... he'd bent a rod on a hydro-lock when he thought that little river crossing wasn't going to be problem for his D90 V8... turns out... it has this one DEEP spot!
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: