Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 97 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #361
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,592
Here's a funny thing...

I'm running a 3.5L twin Stromberg carb. Rover V8 with the earlier 3-speed auto box Torqueflite trans. (and LT230 t-case). I've been running this for about 12 years now. No issues. I've got a LWB Rangie that I had planned to pull the 4.2L EFI Rover V8 and ZF 4-speed auto box (I'd reuse the LT230 t-case). So, what's the funny thing you ask? Even though I KNOW the EFI with 4-speed auto will give better return for economy and that it'll run smoother under elevation changes and off-road angles... I'm having a very hard time justifying the transplant. Don't get me wrong... I fully intend to use the 4.2L short block and heads, but... it's the EFI setup and 4-speed ZF I'm worrying about.

That old Chrysler 3-speed slushbox is stronger... and will last longer. Those old Stromberg single bbl. carbs. are way more simple... and will give less headaches as the years go on... for lack of a shitload of sensors, injectors, ecu brain, and all the other electrical junk that goes along with EFI. I know I know I know... EFI generally is problem free and runs so much better under ranging conditions... still... my carbs. never let me down.

I'm after longterm reliability and simplistic mechanicals. So, you chaps overseas... those that have lived with the stock twin carbs. longer... what are your thoughts on the EFI vs. Carbs. and the 4-speed ZF vs. the older 3-speed Torqueflite? Do you think the advantages of the EFI and 4-speed outweigh the simplicity? I keep flopping back and fourth on this... stupid I know... still... I flop.

I always see those trial rigs, in the overseas Rover mags., running that old 3-speed auto. and carbs. so there must be something to them still. I guess I could use the block and heads with my carb. setup... then... if I'm not happy... swap it out for the EFI stuff later. Thing is... I had redoing mechanical stuff like some guys change their smalls!

BTW... life is good when this is the major topic of the day eh?
Series IIA 109" Land Rover Deluxe Station Wagon
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #362
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Oh... don't bother trying to talk diesel with me. Too late for that. I've owned a Nissan LD28... then sold. I've owned a Cummins 3.4L 6 turbo... then sold. I've also owned a 200tdi Rover... then sold. I'm going to stick with the Rover V8... and for sure... no other petrol motor. While there are better engines out there in the world... this the motor I understand, respect, and know how to work on. Plus, I've access to parts. Yes, I do love the diesel motor... and they totally make sense being in a Landy... I'm too pigheaded and weak to give up my bred in the bone trusty Rover V8
Washougal, WA USA
Old 11-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #363
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,648
Just put these tyres on....

General Grabber TR's 235/85x16....easier to put on with two tyre levers and ignited petrol than my moto tyres...and largest diameter so as to avoid modifying the spare wheel bracket to stop tyre touching on bumper.....

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.

WIBO screwed with this post 11-25-2009 at 02:41 AM
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #364
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

WIBO... are you getting some rubbing from those 235 tires?
Washougal, WA USA
Old 11-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #365
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Hi Modrover...

No rubbing...I only adjusted the steering stops to stop any rubbing on the radius arms as such,when on full lock,no big deal...5 min job..

..I did a Camel Cut on the rear arches with a pair of tinsnips....

Other than that I notice eg.when driving through town at normal speed there's not the same engine noise as the revs are lower than before....loose a bit of acceleration but then again it was never stellar anyway lol I wil be doing an mpg test soon to see if it's less or more...

Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #366
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBO
Hi Modrover...

No rubbing...I only adjusted the steering stops to stop any rubbing on the radius arms as such,when on full lock,no big deal...5 min job..

..I did a Camel Cut on the rear arches with a pair of tinsnips....

Other than that I notice eg.when driving through town at normal speed there's not the same engine noise as the revs are lower than before....loose a bit of acceleration but then again it was never stellar anyway lol I wil be doing an mpg test soon to see if it's less or more...

So, is that the trimming of the rearmost edge of the rear wheelwell area? I've seen guys do this area so... I'm guess that is the "Camel Cut" then.

Now, honestly mate... if you put a full set of chains on those 235 tires... do you think, under full wheel cross-axle off-road with the front tires inline with the rear, those chains would still rip at the body? I ask as this is a concern of mine. Deep snow runs in the woods with chains can get pretty hairy out here... lots of hidden holes and things with the snow . This is why I'll probably keep the size max to 215/85r16. Even with my Old Man Emu springs/shocks, this 215 with chains would be getting close to damaging the truck.

Now, I must admit... the 235/85R16 tires do the biz! I ran these on a very nice 2-door Range Rover I had. I had Old Man Emu springs and 2" spring spacers to run them mind you! Great looking... and handling beast that was.

Hey, I just began ripping apart the 4.2L motor out of the parts rig LWB RR Classic (93) yesterday. I spent about 5 hours taking things apart and inspecting. I'm going to be dropping the heads off at the machinist and getting the injectors cleaned. Yes, I'm going through with the EFI upgrade on my '65 hybrid special. I mean, I can always go back to carbs. later should the EFI be more trouble than its worth. I'll also replace seals and bearings in this motor before I offer it up to the '65 IIA. I do think I'm going to just rebuild my 3-speed auto Torqueflite 727 transmission... rather than use the ZF 4-speed. Parts are cheaper here in the USA for this American trans... plus... it's stronger and more reliable.

Funny... I've not wrenched on my Rover in awhile like this... all hardcore and shite. I'm amazed at how much it takes it out of you!
Washougal, WA USA
Old 11-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #367
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Hi Modrover...

I never need to use chains here due to the fact the roads high up are kept clear for the ski station trade...what I would answer to your question ref, cross axle stuff...perhaps the tyres would scrub on the arches but I way out of that surely would be to bolt on raised bump stops ...cut down a bit on travel but would keep the arches intact??

You're right in what you say ref Camel Cut...very easy to do...I think also that my tyre size is the same diameter as the 750x16 give or take a few mms. I had those sizes on an older 2 door Rangie too that I used to have with no bother.....a lovely 1975 example.

As for all that work on your engine...way ahead of me....I am going to try and change a clutch next weekend on my tdi for the 1st time.....so hopefully it'll go smoothly enough without me banjaxing something along the way....I need to do it all in one as its my only transport for the family...

Anyway...you sound accomplished enough to be doing what you're doing....what about a couple of snaps along the way so we can see what it's like inside one of those big motors...

Old 11-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #368
taranaki
statale

Oddometer: 1,310
Sorry to play the old wet blanket, but Rover utes are neo-colonial poser rides for the whipped. All the street cred of an H2 with an accent.

Just put on some reading glasses when you flog the dophin and do your four wheelin' on your bike.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #369
Mav OP
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by taranaki
Sorry to play the old wet blanket, but Rover utes are neo-colonial poser rides for the whipped. All the street cred of an H2 with an accent.

Just put on some reading glasses when you flog the dophin and do your four wheelin' on your bike.

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #370
WIBO
Will it buff out?

He must mean this kind of off roading??

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136344

Old 11-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #371
Driftin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Givin' in to the lust

You just can't get the good stuff in the states.

'05 Defender Td5.

They're all over the place here in Costa Rica.
Driftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #372
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Nice truck..

.....crying out for a roof tent to go on the front of that very nice roof rack!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #373
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
Here's a funny thing...

I'm running a 3.5L twin Stromberg carb. Rover V8 with the earlier 3-speed auto box Torqueflite trans. (and LT230 t-case). I've been running this for about 12 years now. No issues. I've got a LWB Rangie that I had planned to pull the 4.2L EFI Rover V8 and ZF 4-speed auto box (I'd reuse the LT230 t-case). So, what's the funny thing you ask? Even though I KNOW the EFI with 4-speed auto will give better return for economy and that it'll run smoother under elevation changes and off-road angles... I'm having a very hard time justifying the transplant. Don't get me wrong... I fully intend to use the 4.2L short block and heads, but... it's the EFI setup and 4-speed ZF I'm worrying about.

That old Chrysler 3-speed slushbox is stronger... and will last longer. Those old Stromberg single bbl. carbs. are way more simple... and will give less headaches as the years go on... for lack of a shitload of sensors, injectors, ecu brain, and all the other electrical junk that goes along with EFI. I know I know I know... EFI generally is problem free and runs so much better under ranging conditions... still... my carbs. never let me down.

I'm after longterm reliability and simplistic mechanicals. So, you chaps overseas... those that have lived with the stock twin carbs. longer... what are your thoughts on the EFI vs. Carbs. and the 4-speed ZF vs. the older 3-speed Torqueflite? Do you think the advantages of the EFI and 4-speed outweigh the simplicity? I keep flopping back and fourth on this... stupid I know... still... I flop.

I always see those trial rigs, in the overseas Rover mags., running that old 3-speed auto. and carbs. so there must be something to them still. I guess I could use the block and heads with my carb. setup... then... if I'm not happy... swap it out for the EFI stuff later. Thing is... I had redoing mechanical stuff like some guys change their smalls!

BTW... life is good when this is the major topic of the day eh?
Aren't your goals oxymoronic?
I mean, you don't like carbs because they are more reliable, you like them because they are simpler and you have a better working knowledge to fix them when they (inevitably) fail to work right.

Carbs are nice for a simpleton like me to tune, but EFI works so much better.

(An extra gear is nice too. )

I'm going to go look at a disco today, I think. Although, I didn't sell a bike, so I doubt I'll get one, the wife is actually kind of encouraging me to continue to shop for one.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #374
ohthatguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Here are my two Rovers

1995 Disco 1

1962 2A 88in

1995 Land Rover Discovery

1962 Land Rover Series IIa

Bike: ?

ohthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote