Old 11-28-2009, 04:01 AM   #376
Mav OP
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBO
That's a nice wee 88...
It is indeed a great looking 88

I really need a smaller house and a bigger garage!!

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #377
ohthatguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
I really need a smaller house and a bigger garage!!
I know the feeling, I have four cars and room for one.

1995 Land Rover Discovery

1962 Land Rover Series IIa

Bike: ?

ohthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #378
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
Aren't your goals oxymoronic?
I mean, you don't like carbs because they are more reliable, you like them because they are simpler and you have a better working knowledge to fix them when they (inevitably) fail to work right.

Carbs are nice for a simpleton like me to tune, but EFI works so much better.

(An extra gear is nice too. )

I'm going to go look at a disco today, I think. Although, I didn't sell a bike, so I doubt I'll get one, the wife is actually kind of encouraging me to continue to shop for one.
Yes... probably didn't word out right... carbs. are best for ease of repair... and limping home with. Carbs. are best for remote locations of travel. To that end... points are even better than electronic ignition, but hell... I'd not go back to points!

So, yes... I enjoy carbs. for their simplistic values. I do think I've reached that point in my life... that point when EFI is actually easier to live with day to day. Plus, they are better at altitude changes and really off camber situations. I've had my carbs. get a little "funny" during some higher altitude off-road angle stuff. They stayed running with some blurps of the pedal at key moments!

The only thoughts that have been really giving me some trouble... and what I was on about with all that carbs. vs EFI stuff... the carbs. have never let me down. I've always been one to upgrade or modify based on my own personal experiences. Changing to EFI will be the first time I just do some mod like this... because I'd like better mpg and such things... and not because I've had a failure. It's not that big a deal really... I can change back to carbs. later if the EFI starts to become troublesome.

So, the wife gave you the yellow light eh? Better get a good Disco before the snows hit the valley areas. Remember last year? Usually just a couple dusts of snow at my 250 foot elevation... I had 4 foot drifts with 2.5 overall depths last year during that storm! Oh... and that's when the furnace decided to pack it up too!!! Ahhh... good times
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #379
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBO
Hi Modrover...

I never need to use chains here due to the fact the roads high up are kept clear for the ski station trade...what I would answer to your question ref, cross axle stuff...perhaps the tyres would scrub on the arches but I way out of that surely would be to bolt on raised bump stops ...cut down a bit on travel but would keep the arches intact??

You're right in what you say ref Camel Cut...very easy to do...I think also that my tyre size is the same diameter as the 750x16 give or take a few mms. I had those sizes on an older 2 door Rangie too that I used to have with no bother.....a lovely 1975 example.

As for all that work on your engine...way ahead of me....I am going to try and change a clutch next weekend on my tdi for the 1st time.....so hopefully it'll go smoothly enough without me banjaxing something along the way....I need to do it all in one as its my only transport for the family...

Anyway...you sound accomplished enough to be doing what you're doing....what about a couple of snaps along the way so we can see what it's like inside one of those big motors...

Interesting... I did read that certain year Camel Trophy Disco rigs used the 5.5 steel rims with this size tires (235/75r16 750x16) as the offset was more inside the wheelwells. The idea was less chance for rubbing the body (probably NOT less rubbing on the radius arms). Not sure on this... it was something off a Camel Trophy site so... who the hell knows. Hey, if I didn't have to ever chain up... I'd run the 235/85R16 size... they give a really nice ride... and a bit of that overdrive feeling to the rpms at speeds too.

Ha... good luck with the clutch. These rigs have a lot of room to work so... you should have no problems. They are very straight forward in that regard. I understand having to get things done as it's used as the family truckster... me too. I must complete things to the Disco in a more timely fashion!

I'll try to get some photos of the motor in various stages... they're not real impressive until you start offering up those rebuilt shinny bits though!

Hey, you've got the tdi right? What year is your Discovery?
Washougal, WA USA
Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #380
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
...For example, the LR4 doesn't utilize a classic oil plug in the bottom of the oil pan as does almost every car and truck. The only way to change the oil in an LR4 is to have a Land Rover Dealership use a special device to "vacuum" the oil out of the engine.

W T F ???
Old 11-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #381
Mav OP
Something witty...

You tak about getting things done quickly... I got around to removing the sidesteps today. It ook well over an hour... for 12 bolts!!! And four of them were straightforward! Maybe I should've let the trail take them off

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 11-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #382
Mav OP
Something witty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder
...For example, the LR4 doesn't utilize a classic oil plug in the bottom of the oil pan as does almost every car and truck. The only way to change the oil in an LR4 is to have a Land Rover Dealership use a special device to "vacuum" the oil out of the engine.

W T F ???
Are you serious?? I would've thought being able to change the oil yourself would be kind of important in an expedition vehicle...

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 11-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #383
ohthatguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Are you serious?? I would've thought being able to change the oil yourself would be kind of important in an expedition vehicle...
Thanks to Ford and now perhaps TATA. Rovers of late are losing any expedition worthiness that they have left. Because of the bean counters at Ford in 07 the Range Rover lost the air valve system that made the suspension move like a strait axle off road and they lowered the amount of articulation. Rovers are my favorite vehicles, but it seems that the Company is turning from their core of Rugged go anywhere luxury to just the run of the mill SUV.

1995 Land Rover Discovery

1962 Land Rover Series IIa

Bike: ?

ohthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:52 AM   #384
Mav OP
Something witty...

That doesn't bode well for the required defender replacement due in the next couple years

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:52 AM   #385
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:

W T F ???
Whats up Doc ? - I can't believe the above. I have had 2 1/4 petrol, 2 1/4 diesel, TDi & TD5 and all had sump drain plugs. Even if it was true for some obscure type of LR product then you can be sure there is an after market fix for it.
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #386
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
I was looking for some info about the updated LR3 (LR4), and I found this on Wikipedia... unbelievable. The LR4 is still a very, very capable offroader, but this missing oil drain plug is ...

But on the other hand they say, that for the LR4, the new V8 has been slightly modified with a deeper oil sump to provide engine lubrication while the vehicle is operating under severe tilting angles when off-roading. In addition, a mechanical cooling fan has been added and various components, including the alternator, power-steering pump and starter motor, have been waterproofed.

Somebody will come up with a solution for this. Oil drain plug issue, I'm sure.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #387
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:

I've the perfect solution... DON'T BUY ONE!

Nothing speaks more to auto co. than keeping your money in your own pocket
Washougal, WA USA
Old 12-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #388
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
You tak about getting things done quickly... I got around to removing the sidesteps today. It ook well over an hour... for 12 bolts!!! And four of them were straightforward! Maybe I should've let the trail take them off
yeah, sometimes I feel... Land Rover manuals should state, on the very first page, "when you're about to attempt something... be sure to allow 3 times the amount of time to get it done."

Good on ya for dumping the steps. I removed my sills and fabricated some really solid rock sliders to my '65 IIA beasty. Not only do they provide gobs of protection off-road (and allow for a hi-lift jack point)... they also provide side impact protection on the street. You know, it the event some dipstick t-bones you!
Washougal, WA USA
Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #389
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

W T F ???

I had a turbocharged Peugeot from the 80's and it was the same way.

Actually suctioning oil isn't that uncommon. It's a technique used in big boats for years. I had a rig that I tried to use with my motorhome (6V92 Detroit) but it didn't work worth a damn so I gave it up in favor of taking the motorhome to truck stops every so often.

What intrigues me more about Land Rover maintenance is that I just discovered that to replace the spark plugs and plug wiring on my 2003 Disco II requires the removal of the intake. I'm looking at a $500 bill for having a mechanic do what I used to do myself on my other autos.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #390
1stworks
dude

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
I was looking for some info about the updated LR3 (LR4), and I found this on Wikipedia... unbelievable. The LR4 is still a very, very capable offroader, but this missing oil drain plug is ...

But on the other hand they say, that for the LR4, the new V8 has been slightly modified with a deeper oil sump to provide engine lubrication while the vehicle is operating under severe tilting angles when off-roading. In addition, a mechanical cooling fan has been added and various components, including the alternator, power-steering pump and starter motor, have been waterproofed.

They took the oil plug away to save money on what they pay for
service.The truck does NOT need to be lifted in the air so they
pay LESS...

Dont be bitchy
Smile.
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: