ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #391
Gander
Newly minted n00b
 
Gander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Baja Oklahoma
Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
What intrigues me more about Land Rover maintenance is that I just discovered that to replace the spark plugs and plug wiring on my 2003 Disco II requires the removal of the intake. I'm looking at a $500 bill for having a mechanic do what I used to do myself on my other autos.
Yes, the wires are a pain but not impossible to do yourself. Here is link for doing it without removing the intake:

http://landroverforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26352
Gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #392
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Yes, the wires are a pain but not impossible to do yourself. Here is link for doing it without removing the intake:

http://landroverforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26352

Thanks! I'll stock up on the mezcal and beer and take a look at this in a few days.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #393
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!
 
modrover's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: WA, USA
Oddometer: 3,576
All that talk about tire size and body clearance... made me think on the importance of running chains under full articulation. I can tell you lads... my rig with chains is the rig you need to be in, if you somehow find yourself in hell and wish to keep going!


The places a setup like this can take you... well... let's just say it's never the rig that is the limiting factor. Just the dude behind the wheel.
__________________
~Michael (of The Land of Misfit Land Rovers)
Had an Africa Twin and Transalp
X-Files Gov't Issue Sprinter TurboDiesel
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #394
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!
 
Sabre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Ferntucky, Washington
Oddometer: 10,579
Hey, I'm still looking for that first Disco. I'm very grateful to those of you here who have given me advice. Of course, I'm flying kinda blind here and going against your wisdom!

There's an '01 advertised in Van Nuys, CA at a used car place, but the guys selling it are utterly hopeless. They have no history at all on this auction vehicle, have no interest in returning my calls or e-mails, etc. It looks great in the pix, and is a model that I'm very interested in, as a friend has one just like it and I really like it.

Can anyone recommend a good shop in that area that could do an inspection for me? I'm way up the left coast. I've had good luck with fly-n-drives before with other vehicles, but that was always with a seller who was very cooperative and easy to work with. These guys are absolute slugs!

Any suggestions from those of you with connections in the Southland?
__________________
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
-the Dalai Lama
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #395
PaleRider
gelande/strasse
 
PaleRider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: ceteris paribus
Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
Now that is a winter set-up.
__________________
One Life. Live It.
PaleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #396
Gander
Newly minted n00b
 
Gander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Baja Oklahoma
Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
Hey, I'm still looking for that first Disco. I'm very grateful to those of you here who have given me advice. Of course, I'm flying kinda blind here and going against your wisdom!

There's an '01 advertised in Van Nuys, CA at a used car place, but the guys selling it are utterly hopeless. They have no history at all on this auction vehicle, have no interest in returning my calls or e-mails, etc. It looks great in the pix, and is a model that I'm very interested in, as a friend has one just like it and I really like it.

Can anyone recommend a good shop in that area that could do an inspection for me? I'm way up the left coast. I've had good luck with fly-n-drives before with other vehicles, but that was always with a seller who was very cooperative and easy to work with. These guys are absolute slugs!

Any suggestions from those of you with connections in the Southland?

I love my Disco but then, I'm a glutton for punishment. That said, I do not recommend you buy one unless you'll enjoy throwing money at it and becoming involved with it like no vehicle before.

That said, only buy one with a service history from a private owner. Don't even think about getting one of these trucks unless you have access to a very good independent shop that specializes in Rovers. Have it inspected there prior to purchase. It could need more in repairs than you pay for it. DO NOT use a dealer for service. Read through some forums and make sure you have a good idea of what you're getting into. No, you will not "Get lucky" with the one you buy - they all present the same problems over time. Seriously, if you can't do most repairs yourself stay away, especially if you need the vehicle to be your primary driver....Good luck!
Gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #397
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!
 
Sabre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Ferntucky, Washington
Oddometer: 10,579
Yeah, Gander, I hear ya loud and clear. I was overcome by a moment of lust...the posted one was an edition that I've only ever seen once before: sage green, black alloy wheels, and dark brown leather/tweet fabric interior. Gorgeous. A friend locally has one, and it's been a wonderful rig, as well as being the best-looking Disco I've ever seen.

But, yeah, I would have broken my own rule about buying from used car salesmen, whom I regard as the bottom of the food chain.

I once rebuilt a Series IIa and ran it for several years. Enjoyed the heck out of it, inherent English funkiness notwithstanding. I've research Discos pretty deeply, and am aware of what I'm getting into. Fortunately, it would not be my only car, and I live just across the border from some amazing and friendly folks in British Columbia who really understand the beasts.
__________________
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
-the Dalai Lama
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #398
Gander
Newly minted n00b
 
Gander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Baja Oklahoma
Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
Yeah, Gander, I hear ya loud and clear. I was overcome by a moment of lust...the posted one was an edition that I've only ever seen once before: sage green, black alloy wheels, and dark brown leather/tweet fabric interior. Gorgeous. A friend locally has one, and it's been a wonderful rig, as well as being the best-looking Disco I've ever seen.

But, yeah, I would have broken my own rule about buying from used car salesmen, whom I regard as the bottom of the food chain.

I once rebuilt a Series IIa and ran it for several years. Enjoyed the heck out of it, inherent English funkiness notwithstanding. I've research Discos pretty deeply, and am aware of what I'm getting into. Fortunately, it would not be my only car, and I live just across the border from some amazing and friendly folks in British Columbia who really understand the beasts.


You will find lots of Disco's at used car lots for a reason......they buy low and try to sell high. They seem like a lot of vehicle for the money....unless you understand that the intitial purchase is only the price of admission.

Many Disco's were leased vehicles and have poor service histories. Also, even with private ownership the high cost of service kept many people from properly servicing their trucks. Then, the first sign of a headgasket leak or other problem and they trade them in.....Hell, at 60k you will need new brakes (pad and rotors) plus the 60 k service. Then, your dealer tells you you have a headgasket leak....and you're looking at maybe 5k in service/repairs on a truck that may be worth 6k -8k.

Take your time to find the right truck, have a leak down test done to check the heads and if there is a problem (and there eventually will be) use it to negotiate. Also, first thing after purchase, have greasable u-joints installed ASAP. I recommend an 04 but an 01 (has CDL too) will work as well. Keep some money aside for repairs you know you will need to make and you'll be a happy camper and should get 200k out of the truck with no (surprising ) problems.

Gander screwed with this post 12-12-2009 at 05:45 PM
Gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #399
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!
 
theMISSIONARY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Devonport Tazmania
Oddometer: 2,053
Dirty old Range Rovers are common here

__________________
Happiness is a warm barrel....i don't care if its the bikes barrel or the rifles barrel!

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #400
toolfan
Broken Hearted
 
toolfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: NoPo (pdx)
Oddometer: 9,543
Discovery 5-speeds.

Are they reliable? (Specificaly the transmission.)

Thanks.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #401
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer
 
Doc.Snyder's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX / Grosserlach, GER
Oddometer: 2,012
Never had problems with the R380 and lt230 box on my Defender...
__________________
Never stop exploring
Doc.Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #402
toolfan
Broken Hearted
 
toolfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: NoPo (pdx)
Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder
Never had problems with the R380 and lt230 box on my Defender...
Some quick googling shows that the lt230 had some spline wear issues.

We're back on a disco kick after looking at some cherokees and are considering a '95 with a 5spd and a '99 (series 1, I think) with an auto box.

I'm partial to manual trannies, but the '99 has lower miles and already has an OME lift (which I would want eventually).
Conversely, the '95 has records going back aways (possibly since new, we'll see tonight.) And they are asking half as much. But, the dude sounds like a douche.

toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #403
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
For discussion (and perhaps lusting after) the Bowler Nemesis race truck and, perhaps one day, the Nemesis EXR road vehicle:







PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #404
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org
 
gambrinus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 6,477
Anyone lusting for a 1983 or 1984 110 Station Wagon?

I have a buddy who is bringing in a couple. 25+yrs old, so 100% legit.. no funny business on the paperwork.

Last one was a nice 83 110 wagon with the V8 that sold for $12k

RW
__________________
..constructive criticism irritates me. I do not object to being denounced, but I can't abide being school-mastered, especially by men I regard as imbeciles.
-Mencken
gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #405
toolfan
Broken Hearted
 
toolfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: NoPo (pdx)
Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
Some quick googling shows that the lt230 had some spline wear issues.

We're back on a disco kick after looking at some cherokees and are considering a '95 with a 5spd and a '99 (series 1, I think) with an auto box.

I'm partial to manual trannies, but the '99 has lower miles and already has an OME lift (which I would want eventually).
Conversely, the '95 has records going back aways (possibly since new, we'll see tonight.) And they are asking half as much. But, the dude sounds like a douche.


I think we're going to buy the '95 today.

This will probably turn out to be the 3rd or 4th worst car buying decision I've made to date.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014