Going to have the EGR and Cat removed and the ECU given a little tweak tomorrow

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #467
Fustercluck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Here's my old 1974 series III 88. Sorry for the crappy phone pic. I love these things and actually learned to drive on one when I was a kid. 2nd ones are before driving to work last week.

1993 Ducati 888/SPO

Fustercluck screwed with this post 01-02-2010 at 06:51 PM
Fustercluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #468
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,567
En route to the French Alps...

Before...

[IMG][/IMG]

After 3372kms...

[IMG][/IMG]

Those tyres Mav I got,for info,performed really well on soft and hard pack snow...

Don't forget to re route your crank case breather hoses, after closing them off from the air intake to the turbo....(If they're routed the same as my disco)...stops the turbo sucking in oil vapour from the engine....

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.

WIBO screwed with this post 01-06-2010 at 06:56 AM
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #469
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,567
Hey Fustercluck...At Val-d'Sere

...I spied an oldie in the snow just like your snow...

[IMG][/IMG]

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #470
Fustercluck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Very cool!
1993 Ducati 888/SPO
Fustercluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #471
ColininKodiak
(not in Kodiak)

Oddometer: 713
Well the neverending saga of shit breaking on my Discovery continued yesterday. I went to leave for work, started the truck up and went back inside. When I came back out I smelled gas really strong so I shut it down and started walking around it with a flashlight. I got to the back and fuel was POURING down from the tank. I initially thought I had hit something and holed the tank then started thinking it may be the pump or lines. My mighty stage 1 stepped up and got me to work and back despite an ailing clutch hydraulic system and my reluctance to drive it before I finished repainting the chassis. This morning I went out to diagnose it and ended up having to chisel the screws off the fuel pump cover since they were so rusty they didn't even resemble screws. Finally pried the cover off and found this.

Looks like I need a new pump(it was still humming away, but the lines were disintegrated) and need to do some splicing on the lines to make it work. I added up all the problems I have had with the truck and all the parts I have put into keeping it alive and they almost equal what I paid for the thing 5 years ago. Sometimes I seriously question why I have kept this thing for 5 years.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #472
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColininKodiak
Well the neverending saga of shit breaking on my Discovery continued yesterday. I went to leave for work, started the truck up and went back inside. When I came back out I smelled gas really strong so I shut it down and started walking around it with a flashlight. I got to the back and fuel was POURING down from the tank. I initially thought I had hit something and holed the tank then started thinking it may be the pump or lines. My mighty stage 1 stepped up and got me to work and back despite an ailing clutch hydraulic system and my reluctance to drive it before I finished repainting the chassis. This morning I went out to diagnose it and ended up having to chisel the screws off the fuel pump cover since they were so rusty they didn't even resemble screws. Finally pried the cover off and found this.

Looks like I need a new pump(it was still humming away, but the lines were disintegrated) and need to do some splicing on the lines to make it work. I added up all the problems I have had with the truck and all the parts I have put into keeping it alive and they almost equal what I paid for the thing 5 years ago. Sometimes I seriously question why I have kept this thing for 5 years.

We've all been there..

Seriously, how did it get so jacked up? It's in the cargo area above the tank right? Didn't imagine that area could get like that.
Gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #473
ColininKodiak
(not in Kodiak)

Oddometer: 713
I sanded and primed what was left of the cargo floor last summer. Pulled the carpets up today and saw that. It was dry until I had to move the truck, which filled it with gas. I'd imagine the mud is just from 12 years of never being opened. I guess it should still be sealed so a wet dry vac followed by copious amounts of water should clean it up enough for me to work on it. Everyone thinks these trucks look so good because the panels are aluminum, but my body shell is swiss cheese underneath, I guess 12 years in Maine, new Hampshire, Connecticut and Alaska haven't been good to it. The sad part is it runs like a champ and never gives me any mechanical issues. Every repair I have made to it has been due to something rusting out.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #474
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,722
Disco is dead

Got rear-ended in December. USAA has told me they're totalling it. I was stopped to take a left turn when a woman plowed into me at about 40mph.

Lovely 96 Disco I with only 77k on it.

I can buy it back for $800 (and get a check for $4,300) and get a salvage title, then get it fixed, jump through a ton of hoops and finally have a rebuilt title and be on the road. Not a body panel was touched, but the frame was bent and the bumper/gas tank were also mashed.

Alternatively, I can pocket the money, wait for my medical "pain and suffering" settlement and get something different.

I really loved the beast, and know it well but just feel the hassles aren't worth my time.

Opinions?

FWIW my driver's seat collapsed backwards and I got really whiplashed.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #475
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeirce
Got rear-ended in December. USAA has told me they're totalling it. I was stopped to take a left turn when a woman plowed into me at about 40mph.

I can buy it back for $800 (and get a check for $4,300) and get a salvage title, then get it fixed, jump through a ton of hoops and finally have a rebuilt title and be on the road. Not a body panel was touched, but the frame was bent and the bumper/gas tank were also mashed.

Alternatively, I can pocket the money, wait for my medical "pain and suffering" settlement and get something different.

I really loved the beast, and know it well but just feel the hassles aren't worth my time.

Opinions?

I had a 96 Disco as well. I loved it -- that's my favorite body style of all LRs.

Sorry to hear about the crash -- good news is there are tons of those floating around the U.S., with many in excellent condition.

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #476
apeirce

Here she was before:

The plan was to lift her and ruggedize her a bit, but even in this form we'd go out and play.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #477
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,066
Quote:

I'm torn between telling you you're an opportunistic dick and suggesting you go after LR because their shitty seat design caused you great bodily harm and unmeasurable suffering.

FWIW, 18 years ago I got crashed into from a 45mph drunk bastard and had my seat back collapse as you describe. At the time I thought the seat failing may have saved me serious whiplash, but the persistent back pain since then tells me it did not.

Had I not been a dumb shit, tougher than nails 20 year old buffoon, I'd have taken the ride to the hospital to have the tightness in my back and neck investigated and then collected enough to pay for the inevitable therapy needed to correct the occasional flair up of that injury. Back and neck injuries are nothing to fuck around with.

(For the record, the single biggest factor in my decision to fore-go the hospital was the knowledge I had a hot hot hot date that night and there was no way I was missing it for a run to the ER. Those were good times.)
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #478
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,458
Quote:

Opinions?

Shit Adam ... didn't know that hope you're getting better now. You know you are getting in the realms of the $'s for an old 110 shipped from the UK? The first run of them are over 25 years now

Same thing that Mav has ...............
Old 01-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #479
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,461
My baby in Thailand, 1968 109, highly modified. Formerly a UN ambulance.

Currently I'm converting it to a pickup truck. I need a PU more now.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #480
apeirce

Nico, no offense about being called opportunistic. As you know the pain sucks though. I'm self-employed, when I can't work I don't make money. Not looking to win a lottery just get taken care of with the PT and a little extra for covering my time/lost time.

Jeff, thanks for the good wishes. Believe me I know the 110s are starting to come in. I'm also thinking Unimog or Pinzgauer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: