Old 07-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #677
Jhon

Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder
Tibus

http://killeraxles.com/

one portal box is around 1300 EUR.
It's a lot of money for an extra 3-4" of ground clearance. If I had the money to spare I'd do it (and a pair of ARB lockers) just for the sake of having the ultimate Land Rover.
Sadly, I'm unlikely ever to be in that position. Nice to know they're there though, and to dream.
Jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #678
Mav OP
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon
It's a lot of money for an extra 3-4" of ground clearance. If I had the money to spare I'd do it (and a pair of ARB lockers) just for the sake of having the ultimate Land Rover.
Sadly, I'm unlikely ever to be in that position. Nice to know they're there though, and to dream.
What does it do to the road handling?

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #679
Jhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
Not sure, I've never driven one on road.

One of my local club members fitted Unimog axles. The downsides are much higher unsprung mass which affects suspension and ultimately handling. This is unlikely to be such an issue with the Tibus bolt-on units which would be much lighter than the 'mog axles. The CofG would go up too, which would have an effect - this might be offset by the slightly wider track. I'll ask him next time I see him - I know that he sold the vehicle not long after building it. I think the reality was different from what he imagined.
I can't see that there would be any advantages to them for road use - apart from being able to see over the top of Transits.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #680
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
From what I know they are Air activated so run like an open diff until activated with switch in cab..
Old 07-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #681
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
These Defenders have additional Air Lockers in the front and rear axle. That would make 3 lockable diffs. Front, Center and Rear.
From what I've read in their Thread on www.offraod-forum.de , the Top speed is a bit lower, but you can compensate with bigger tires. But bigger tires put more stress on the drivetrain,... So it depends what you do with it.
Handling is not much different. Of course it is a bit higher, but at the same time a bit wider.

The guy in the white 130 uses it as a Press vehicle for rallies like Berlin Breslau or the trans Siberia challenge.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #682
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
These Defenders have additional Air Lockers in the front and rear axle. That would make 3 lockable diffs. Front, Center and Rear.
From what I've read in their Thread on www.offraod-forum.de , the Top speed is a bit lower, but you can compensate with bigger tires. But bigger tires put more stress on the drivetrain,... So it depends what you do with it.
Handling is not much different. Of course it is a bit higher, but at the same time a bit wider.

The guy in the white 130 uses it as a Press vehicle for rallies like Berlin Breslau or the trans Siberia challenge.
The air locker its self doesnt change speed in any way except when activated....what changes is people usually change gear ratios when they do the locker. Taller tires decrease final gear ratio and sometime are a negative factor after a certain point.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #683
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
I know that. LOL.
I first thought you referred to the portals in your previous post (From what I know they are Air activated so run like an open diff until activated with switch in cab..). Hehehhh.

I think Mav wanted to know what the Portals do to the road handling. not what the lockers do to it.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #684
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I know that. LOL.
I first thought you referred to the portals in your previous post (From what I know they are Air activated so run like an open diff until activated with switch in cab..). Hehehhh.

I think Mav wanted to know what the Portals do to the road handling. not what the lockers do to it.
Ok LOL
Old 07-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #685
Mav OP
Something witty...

Quote:
Not sure, I've never driven one on road.

One of my local club members fitted Unimog axles. The downsides are much higher unsprung mass which affects suspension and ultimately handling. This is unlikely to be such an issue with the Tibus bolt-on units which would be much lighter than the 'mog axles. The CofG would go up too, which would have an effect - this might be offset by the slightly wider track. I'll ask him next time I see him - I know that he sold the vehicle not long after building it. I think the reality was different from what he imagined.
I can't see that there would be any advantages to them for road use - apart from being able to see over the top of Transits.
Quote:
I know that. LOL.

That's right - I wanted to know what it does to road handling. I'm not looking to make my Landy some kind of car... but I do still want to be able to cover long distances rather than make it a challenge truck! And it seems to me that these lift kits everyone goes for don't really help that much... articulation and axle clearance would seem to be the main things that will make a difference. That and lockers...

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #686
Jhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
.. articulation and axle clearance would seem to be the main things that will make a difference. That and lockers...
Unless you're planning a jungle expedition somewhere like Borneo, you're unlikely ever to need the extra clearance from portal axles.

Think about it - the majority of guys who do extreme winch challenges or rock-climbing in the US don't have portal axles. None of the Camel Trophy vehicles were ever fitted with them.

If you want to maximise your ground clearance go to something like a 35" tyre and adjust your diff gearing to suit.

That, combined with good suspension (Old Man Emu is recommended) and a rear locker (ARB are very good) will take you pretty much anywhere a road-legal wheeled vehicle will go.

If it's primarily long distance with some off-roading leave the Land-Rover standard. A couple of waffle boards, a Hi-lift jack and a tirfor winch will get you through pretty much anything. It will be more pleasant to drive and will be reliable and easily fixed if something does break.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 AM   #687
Mav OP
Something witty...

Quote:
Unless you're planning a jungle expedition somewhere like Borneo, you're unlikely ever to need the extra clearance from portal axles.

Think about it - the majority of guys who do extreme winch challenges or rock-climbing in the US don't have portal axles. None of the Camel Trophy vehicles were ever fitted with them.

If you want to maximise your ground clearance go to something like a 35" tyre and adjust your diff gearing to suit.

That, combined with good suspension (Old Man Emu is recommended) and a rear locker (ARB are very good) will take you pretty much anywhere a road-legal wheeled vehicle will go.

If it's primarily long distance with some off-roading leave the Land-Rover standard. A couple of waffle boards, a Hi-lift jack and a tirfor winch will get you through pretty much anything. It will be more pleasant to drive and will be reliable and easily fixed if something does break.
This is pretty much what I had in mind for our trip to Africa in a few weeks... the portals just attracted because I'm a sucker for bling

Interesting that you didn't suggest a mounted winch... I've long held the suspicion that unless you go front and back... with a mounted winch you're just as likely to get stuck and in fact might go places you shouldn't go, because you thought your winch would get you out!

All the gear.. no idea!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 AM   #688
Jhon

Yeah, I'm a sucker for bling too, that's why I love the idea of portals.

Vehicle mounted winches have their advantages but also add weight and complexity, not cheap either. Also you need power to run them, not handy if your vehicle battery is flat or the motor won't run.

If you have a tirfor you can pull the vehicle from any angle and right it in the event of a roll-over. Also, you can transfer it easily between vehicles.

Tirfors can be hard work - but then again knowing you've got to go through all that hassle, you make damn sure that you don't get stuck in the first place.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #689
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
More LR lust

Some fine specimens in Guatemala
Way out West-0214

Way out West-0210

Way out West-0211-2

Way out West-1290442

Way out West-1290579