Oddometer: 255
Saw this TDi at a light today:

It is a right hand drive model

Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #752
Philander
Someday...

Oddometer: 346
I went to look at a 98 Disco this weekend. 118,000km, almost no rust, all windows and moonroofs fully functional...I was starting to get excited.

Then I noticed that there was no coolant in the tank and oil looked like a chocolate milk-shake.

My search continues. Anyone have a 98 Disco for sale near Ottawa?
Philander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #753
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,594
You're looking for a petrol or diesel??...

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #754
Blair

Oddometer: 718
Are those Wolf rims? Did you have to fit longer studs in order to fit them? I have a set and am thinking about putting them on. What size tire are those as they look pretty big?

Blair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
All that riding sounds very tough for you Wibo

The Landy had a few issues -
  • before we left, we found a leak at the transfer box. It was the main seal and there wasn't enough time to replace so we had to top up on a regular basis - we used 2 litres over the 4,500 miles. Not a problem, just annoying having to top it up given how you have to do it.
  • The shocks were on the way out before we left - after the abuse and overloading they were proper buggered by the time we got back. Now have Old Man Emus all around with HD springs which, unintentionally, has given the Landy a bit of a lift...
  • Managed to lose one the little rubber caps that goes over the end of the axel - fixed it with an aerosol can lid, some duct tape, a jubilee clip and some string for good measure
  • The front prop shaft UJ developed some play 2/3 of the way through the trip - was carrying a spare so had a workshop swap it out.
All in all, I think the Landy did a great job - never even got close to overheating despite long hard days running in 50+ degree days. Traction was great, rarely needing to switch to low ratio or diff-lock. Could probably have done with slightly wider tyres for the sandy parts.

The fix to replace the rubber cap thingy:

Landy in post lift state - not particularly obvious which I'm very happy about:

Oh, and the boat - unfortunately I forgot to fire the GPS unit... but if you look here the pic was taken just south of the other photos shown to be taken on the coast.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #755
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair View Post
Are those Wolf rims? Did you have to fit longer studs in order to fit them? I have a set and am thinking about putting them on. What size tire are those as they look pretty big?

Blair

No. The standard studs will be fine for Defender 130 / Wolf Rims.
Tires should be 235/85R16

Doc.Snyder screwed with this post 12-13-2010 at 11:37 AM
Doc.Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #756
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

60 years Land Rover. Enjoy. :-)

Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #757
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder
60 years Land Rover. Enjoy. :-)
Happy holidays!
Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #758
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,416
Bought a 1994 Disco I V8 SE new in 1994... At the time, one of the very few SUV's available with real off road capability, full time AWD, manual transmission, and a V8. Added OME suspension, ARB front, and a few goodies.

Although it did definitely have its share of typical Land Rover leaks, glitches, and gotcha's, it also gave me many many miles of fun and adventure.

Not bad in the snow either...

I sold it for a VW Touareg in 2004, which has also been an amazing vehicle. Light years ahead of the LR in power and handling (310HP 6sp tip paddle shift cayenne turbo sway bars) and comfort. Obviously not nearly the axle articulation of the LR, but full locking diffs and air suspension get through most of the same obstacles albeit with a slightly different style.

Now it's time to replace the TReg, wondering if I should go back to a LR, maybe an LR4...
Old 12-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #759
Blair

Oddometer: 718
$140,000 109!

Good luck with that! It must come with a bag of money in the back.

1963 Series IIA 109 Powered by a 2.8 International Diesel
For those of you whom have been around the Land Rover Community for some time, there is no denying the love affair with the early styling and quirkiness of the Series II/IIA land rover. For many the mere thought of a Series II/IIA Land Rover brings back memories of classic movie “The Gods Must Be Crazy”, in which a Series 88 was one of the main stars. The one drawback to owning/using a Series II/IIA rover as a daily driver for any distance is the top speed of 50mph with the engine screaming, or if you were lucky to have a herd of elephants available for the back seats and were going downhill you might see 60mph. If you find yourself in the situation of longing for the older styling of a Series II/IIA but would kill to have the handling of a modern day Defender—then your wait is over. Up for sale we have a true 1963 Land Rover Series 109 with all the mechanicals of a modern day Defender plus upgrades and including a few of the comfort features not known to early Land Rovers. There is not a single bolt that did not get touched on this truck—this was a true frame up restoration. I will try and remember all the items included in this build, part of which was conducted by a Land Rover Shop in VT. The shop in VT did an excellent job on the body; however I have gone back through all the mechanicals including the cooling system except for the engine which was a brand new 2.8 International Diesel. The truck in total has less than 14K miles on the body/engine and much less on the rest of the mechanical components. The HS 2.8L engine was developed from the 2.5 ‘300’ Tdi and has the same backend and engine mounting points on the cylinder block. The 2.8 will fit in to any application that already has the ‘300’ Tdi installed. The position of the air inlet to the inlet manifold and turbocharger and the turbo exhaust outlet are different. 1.The improved head gasket is now steel laminate. 2.The crankshaft is forged not cast. 3.The cylinder bock has been re-designed to improve cooling. 4.The combustion system has been re-developed by AVL. 5.The improved connecting rod has the cap secured by bolts with thread in rod. 6.A new piston has been developed. 7.The rear crankshaft seal clamping has been improved to stop oil leakage. 8.The rpm at maximum torque has been reduced, 1400 TGV &1600 WG (1800 Tdi) 9.The power and torque have been increased, see comparison below. 10.Bore and stroke comparison :– HS 2.8 – 93mm bore and 02.5mm stroke ‘300’ Tdi – 90.47mm bore and 97mm stroke LR ‘300’ Tdi Displacement :- 2,495 cc Maximum power :- 111 bhp @ 4,000 rpm Maximum governed rpm 4,000 Maximum torque :- 195 lbf ft @ 1,800 rpm International HS 2.8L TGV (Variable Geometry Turbo) Displacement :- 2,785 cc Maximum power :- 135 bhp @ 3,800 rpm Max governed rpm :- 4,000 Maximum torque :- 277 lbf ft @ 1,400 rpm Now for the build list: *Brand New Galvanized Series 109 Frame set up for Coil Suspension *Brand New 2.8 International Diesel *Rebuilt R380 5 speed transmission *Rebuilt LT230 Transfer case with Ashcroft 1.222 gearing *Rebuilt Salisbury rear Disk Brake axle with 3.54 gearing *Rebuilt Defender 110 Disk Brake axle with 3.54 gearing *OME Rear Coil Springs and Land Rover HD Front Coil Springs *Defender Power Brake Components and Power Steering Components *Allisport Aluminum Radiator *Custom Aluminum Intercooler *New Defender 90 Soft Top doors with sliding windows and Rover North Door Panels *New 109 rear Doors with custom Door Panels *Defender 90/110 Rear door with defrost and wiper/washer and custom Door Panel *Two speed Front wiper system with windshield washers *Red Dot A/C and Heat front and rear—separate controls *Custom Roll Cage *Line-X sprayed on entire floor of truck and Exmoor Trim Insulated Rubber Floor Mat throughout *Defender 110 seats throughout with shoulder mounted seat belts for the first two rows of seating—total room for 8 passengers *Dual Red Top Batteries *Truck was completely stripped and then painted in Defender Aries Blue *Safari Top *Custom Rock sliders, rear fuel tank guard and front axle/steering guard *Bolt on Powder Coated Side steps *Dual fuel tanks with switch *Combination of “new” vintage and modern gauges *Hella Head lights *iPod ready radio with speakers front and rear *New wiring and modern day fuses *Defender Stainless Exhaust *Mantec snorkel and rear spare tire carrier *Hella rear spot light I am sure there is plenty more that I am missing. This truck is currently my daily driver and when there is a longer break in the weather I will get some additional photos of the truck fully cleaned up. But even with a little dirt on the paint it still outshines most other SUV’s on the market. Asking Price is $140,000.00. Feel free to ask questions. Additional Photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2316788...7625469912919/
Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #760
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Very nice restauration / conversion.

The price? Where's this guy from? Utopia?
Jeeeesus..
You can build up a completely new LR off an 1984/5 chassis for 30-40k. No Problem.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #761
Mav OP
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder View Post
No. The standard studs will be fine for Defender 130 / Wolf Rims.
Tires should be 235/85R16
Right on both counts

Although I would say that the studs are not exactly long... tightened up, the studs are pretty flush with the bolts

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #762
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah. But there's enough threat to securely hold the nut.
Even the strict German TUV said it is ok. LOL
Old 12-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #763
Mav OP
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder View Post
Yeah. But there's enough threat to securely hold the nut.
Even the strict German TUV said it is ok. LOL
I never said it wasn't good enough for me

even without a threat

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #764
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,687
I'm picking up my new Rover in a few days.

A diesel 5-speed '95 D1 (NAS) sitting on OME HDs, ARB/Warn and some nice touches like manual seats

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #765
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Now it's time to replace the TReg, wondering if I should go back to a LR, maybe an LR4...

I looked pretty hard at the LR3s and LR4s.

The LR3 is more-or-less universally considered (by the online LR community) the best performing stock Disco LR has ever made -- which is saying quite a bit. But with ~27 computers governing the various aspects of the vehicle, it takes a $25k diagnostic system (IDS) to update/reconfigure/fix even a relatively minor fault. Some scattered reports of the EAS failing and vehicles either limping home on the bump-stops (stock tires) or being stranded (larger tires, can't fit totally into the wheel wells.)

For short range trips it's an awesome ride -- the Jag V8 makes the 4.6 feel totally gutless. Plenty of aftermarket support for sliders, rear-tire carriers, roof-racks, etc. The inside was borderline luxury but rugged enough to still feel like a Disco....

...the LR4 was the opposite. That interior is a hair away from late-model Range Rover quality. I would feel really, really guilty about mucking up that truck. For ~$44k (sans silly options like rear DVD and shit) that is a hell of a lot of luxury. Basically the same underpinnings except an even bigger motor. But talk about the ultimate Boulder County - Summit County ski-trip truck...

A few shops are experimenting with coil conversions (I believe Columbia Rovers in OR has a kit for sale) but the customer base isn't there yet.

Low mileage '08 LR3s are in the mid $20k now... in a year or two you'll be able to get a low mile LR4 for $33k or so.

I'm a Disco I guy through and through. Defenders are badass of course, but dollar-for-dollar the 94-99 DI, built, and in expedition white, screams "let's go have some fun" like no other truck out there.

Not my pics:

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: