Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #1036
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,210
thanks for posting.
there is a mob in the UK that make a similar mod, but I can't remember their name, probably noted it on the other posts.

Sounds like some enthusiasm but the follow through might not be there

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #1037
damoace
PinderBuilt

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
thanks for posting.
there is a mob in the UK that make a similar mod, but I can't remember their name, probably noted it on the other posts.

Sounds like some enthusiasm but the follow through might not be there

Hay Ewe
Looks similar to a LongRanger conversion:
http://www.longranger.net/page4/page7/page7.html

WWW.BMRIDER.COM
damoace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #1038
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
Late 2A or Early 3? That grill is getting to be rare as hens teeth, so don't bugger it up. If your going with a new frame have you considered going with a coiler? I can't recommend it having never done it, but it should make an interesting rig.
Grille and door hinges point towards 2A.

I'd lose that Bullbar unless the wife needs it to push grocery carts out of the way at Wally World...
Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #1039
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Need some help making a decision. Wife and I are planning a jaunt in a few years time. We're going to spend a month in each of Italy, Greece, Turkey, Iran and maybe two in India, visiting places like Pompeii, Athens, Hisarlik, Persepolis etc. Kind of a retirement trip.

The obvious candidate for a vehicle is a Landy but everything I read suggests not. We want to buy the vehicle soon, run it as a second car for a couple of years and gradually prepare it for the trip. The need is simple; (in no particular order) economical, room to store equipment, 4x4 capability, able to sleep in or using a roof tent type set-up, comfort, reliability.

I've narrowed it down to a choice of four:

1. BMW X3 xDrive 2.0d SE - 31,140 - 48.7 mpg

2. Volvo XC60 - 2.4 D5 SE 4WD - 32,870 - 50.4 mpg

3. Mini Countryman - 2.0 Cooper SD All4 - 23,505 - 57.6 mpg

4. Land Rover Defender 90 - 2.4D XS Station Wagon - 28,895 - 28.8 mpg

The BMW and Volvo seem to be the sensible options and a matter of personal choice between them. The Mini is in as we both love Minis, the price is considerably cheeper, perhaps allowing fewer nights in tents and more in hotels plus it's extremely economical. The Landy is both our choice of preference and the original idea we had but boy, it's thirsty and not the most comfortable cabin.

I realise I'm posting this where Landy-lovers are more likely to contribute an opinion but any input to help us make the decision welcomed.

Why not a HILUX?
KTM 990 ADV 07 sold Member #68,893
Fishkens: Holy shit! Look at that little lizard. It's the Jesus Christ lizard...... Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Venteuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #1040
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturi View Post
why not a hilux?
+1
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #1041
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Need some help making a decision. Wife and I are planning a jaunt in a few years time. We're going to spend a month in each of Italy, Greece, Turkey, Iran and maybe two in India, visiting places like Pompeii, Athens, Hisarlik, Persepolis etc. Kind of a retirement trip.

The obvious candidate for a vehicle is a Landy but everything I read suggests not. We want to buy the vehicle soon, run it as a second car for a couple of years and gradually prepare it for the trip. The need is simple; (in no particular order) economical, room to store equipment, 4x4 capability, able to sleep in or using a roof tent type set-up, comfort, reliability.

The BMW and Volvo seem to be the sensible options and a matter of personal choice between them. The Mini is in as we both love Minis, the price is considerably cheeper, perhaps allowing fewer nights in tents and more in hotels plus it's extremely economical. The Landy is both our choice of preference and the original idea we had but boy, it's thirsty and not the most comfortable cabin.

I realise I'm posting this where Landy-lovers are more likely to contribute an opinion but any input to help us make the decision welcomed.
Just a word of precaution: None of the vehicles you describe will allow you to sleep inside... Plus the 90 will bounce like a slinky off a fliht of stairs. If you really want that Land Rover, go for a second hand 110, utility back, pre-electronic age (300tdi), which will allow you to sleep inside and hae a slightly smoother ride. MPG would be the same I'd say. Also, a secondhand from a reputable dealer will not scream 'Rich people' from miles away. You'll have a much quieter day out away from the vehicle when you are doing some sightseeing.

Whatever you do, have fun!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #1042
Hurley959
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
My current project, breathing some new life into a crusty '85 90. The frame was in great shape aside from the crossmember, so I welded a new unit on and had the entire chassis powdercoated. Ditched the old powertrain for a 300tdi and R380. She's coming together.

Hurley959 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #1043
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
The old series II I bought needs a frame. I can get a galvi one from Rovers North for 2600. Is there any other options out there, preferably cheaper! As a reminder this is the rig its going under.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #1044
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Try all the other vendors. British Pacific, Dap-Inc, Roverparts etc. Then ask them if it's made by Marsland or Richards.
e.g.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SD1.cfm

Did a '67 88" restoration on a new Marsland Chassis in the late 90's (time flies!). A Marsland Chassis was $1400 back then, from British Bulldog (long out of business I think). Shipping was around $250 so I'd factor that in if you live close to any of the vendors and can pick it up yourself.

One other thing to look for is whether it has the additional outrigger that makes adding a second gas tank easy. The one in the RoverParts link above does, but the one pictured below (not mine, google search) does not:

Fun project, good luck.

Cheers
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
The old series II I bought needs a frame. I can get a galvi one from Rovers North for 2600. Is there any other options out there, preferably cheaper! As a reminder this is the rig its going under.

Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #1045
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post

Doing a frame over is a bunch of work and to be quite blunt that is not a very valuable Land Rover to restore. It is a year/model that is not very common, but its also not a very sought after one either. Plain bonnet, not a safari top, 15 inch wheels, 88".

I did it on my 1959 88" SII Station Wagon back in 1990. It was both hard work and fun. Atlantic British used to do a 5 year discount on parts when you bought a frame, but I doubt they still do that. The brakes are the biggest pain to do. Get all new springs, hydraulics, hoses and pipes, everything.

Have fun and ask questions over on Land Rover Owner Mailing list.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #1046
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Doing a frame over is a bunch of work and to be quite blunt that is not a very valuable Land Rover to restore. It is a year/model that is not very common, but its also not a very sought after one either. Plain bonnet, not a safari top, 15 inch wheels, 88".
The 1971 is a fairly desirable year model to the Land Rover enthusiasts - not real valuable but its generally regarded as the second best Series IIA to own (after the 1967 models with the headlights in the breakfast). Its the last year of the metal dash and wire grille as well as the non-synchro 1st and 2nd gears which some enthusiasts think is stronger than the Series III all synchro box. Its got the best heater of the Series IIA's (if the duct box isn't completely rusted out).

It is a bit of work to swap frames but if you have some mildly mechanically minded friends it can be a fun group project if you provide pizza and beer. A few years ago one of my friends had a similar vehicle and he invited a couple of guys over and the three of us stripped the entire body off the frame in one evening. Another evening with a group of four guys was enough to swap all of the mechanical bits to a good secondhand rolling chassis he'd acquired from another club member. I think it took Dave about a month to do the whole job working occasional weeknights and a couple of Saturdays. It'll never be worth big bucks but it'll be a lot of fun.
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #1047
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,775
Apologies if 205...

I've always thought the rather oddball 1960s-70s forward control 110 looked interesting.

But then I had a thing about the Austin Champ when I was 18!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #1048
Dogscout
Been there done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
I've always thought the rather oddball 1960s-70s forward control 110 looked interesting.

But then I had a thing about the Austin Champ when I was 18!
Wow, where to start. the picture is a Series IIB forward control. 109" if I recall correctly. The 101 Forward Control started production in the early 1970's or sometime before 1975. The IIB was mid to late 1960's

Off-roading in a FC is a whole new experience as you go down hill knowing that all of that chasis is behind you.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #1049
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Wow, where to start. the picture is a Series IIB forward control. 109" if I recall correctly. The 101 Forward Control started production in the early 1970's or sometime before 1975. The IIB was mid to late 1960's

Off-roading in a FC is a whole new experience as you go down hill knowing that all of that chasis is behind you.
The reg plate on this one means it was registered between sept '73 to sept '74

Oh and, I fitted new rear callipers to this Disco Van today. It's absolutely rotten

Old 02-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #1050
Dogscout
Been there done that

Wow I never knew but just found out that the IIB did grow to 110 with the addition of the ENV axles. Sorry for the earlier post.

Changing brakes in the mud what fun. Is that Discovery a 3 door? There were 2, 3 door discovery's in boulder back in 99. They were brought up from Mexico and I never knew where they ended up. The only 3 door disco's I have ever seen.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: